AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2012-08-16, 02:54   Link #1
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

H265 as early as 2013

H265 will half the video filesizes of H264 videos or H265 offers higher resolution at same filesizes as todays H264 videos and we might see H265 as early as 2013

source:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/m...ideo-standard/
http://phys.org/news/2012-08-mpeg-codec-halves-bit.html
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 03:54   Link #2
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0x View Post
H265 will half the video filesizes of H264 videos or H265 offers higher resolution at same filesizes as todays H264 videos and we might see H265 as early as 2013

source:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/m...ideo-standard/
http://phys.org/news/2012-08-mpeg-codec-halves-bit.html
But can I put it in an .avi container?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 05:18   Link #3
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

we don't need to migrate yet, 10-bit is still breaking people's shit sufficiently
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 05:49   Link #4
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
we don't need to migrate yet, 10-bit is still breaking people's shit sufficiently
i thought fansubbers are all about progress and the "bleeding edge technology" since fansubs are the first to migrate to H264 and also the first to migrate to 10-bit-depth H264 too
Old 2012-08-16, 08:07   Link #5
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I wish subbers would start putting out requirements for using 10-bit...

No! you prolly won't be able to play 10-bit on a 10 year old comp or a tablet or a phone! Make sure you got the right codecs etc.

Anyway H265 is good for a lot of us who contribute to the subbing community part-time esp. encoders.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 08:16   Link #6
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
I wish subbers would start putting out requirements for using 10-bit...

No! you prolly won't be able to play 10-bit on a 10 year old comp or a tablet or a phone! Make sure you got the right codecs etc.

Anyway H265 is good for a lot of us who contribute to the subbing community part-time esp. encoders.
Guess what though, as of now there is no 10bit profile for H265 yet.

So if fansubbers want to switch to h265 they have to give up on 10bit and go back to 8.

(Yes, I know that there's higher precision internally in the codec which should make this a moot point as far as filesize but fansubbers wouldn't be able to brag about how they're releasing in 10bit anymore ).
Sam Pinansky
Old 2012-08-16, 08:40   Link #7
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
fansubbers wouldn't be able to brag about how they're releasing in 10bit anymore ).
Sounds like you have some experience in that category
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 09:00   Link #8
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Sounds like you have some experience in that category
I use 10bit all the time when I capture from HDCAM but I'm not sure that's particularly relevant since it's Canopus HQ not h264.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2012-08-16, 09:38   Link #9
sneaker

If there's anything I've learned about fansubbers, then it's that they will increase the filesizes further with each better technology.

Quote:
(Yes, I know that there's higher precision internally in the codec which should make this a moot point as far as filesize but fansubbers wouldn't be able to brag about how they're releasing in 10bit anymore ).
Source? I was kinda disappointed that the first release will only cover 8 bit (and 2D 4:2:0), but if it's really using higher precision internally even for 8 bit it's fine.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 09:39   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
If there's anything I've learned about fansubbers, then it's that they will increase the filesizes further with each better technology.

Source? I was kinda disappointed that the first release will only cover 8 bit (and 2D 4:2:0), but if it's really using higher precision internally even for 8 bit it's fine.
Wikipedia says this:
Quote:
Higher bit depth
Internal bit depth increase (IBDI) allows encoding of video pictures by treating them to have a pixel bit-depth that is higher than 8. The internal precision is extended to handle the increased pixel precision.
but I'm not sure about the details. Sounds to me like it'll allow some kind of adaptive higher precision storage internally...

Edit: I went and skimmed the draft spec and Wiki is right: each video picture can use whatever bitdepth, both for luma and chroma (from 8-14). In main profile the sequence parameter sets have to have bit depths of 8, but I think the picture parameters are not fixed so the encoder can choose whatever is most efficient for that frame I suppose.
Sam Pinansky

Last edited by Quarkboy; 2012-08-16 at 10:08.
Old 2012-08-17, 00:01   Link #11
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Yeah, looking forward to all the complaints from people who can't be arsed to install a codec or apparently have CPUs made a decade ago. I wasn't around for Xvid -> H264 so it should be fun times.
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 02:21   Link #12
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositronCannon View Post
Yeah, looking forward to all the complaints from people who can't be arsed to install a codec or apparently have CPUs made a decade ago. I wasn't around for Xvid -> H264 so it should be fun times.
I really looking forward for this drama too.

I wonder if we going to finally get 1080p HDTV video quality without the horribles upscales we have nowadays even in BD.
Old 2012-08-17, 03:10   Link #13
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDF2050 View Post
I really looking forward for this drama too.

I wonder if we going to finally get 1080p HDTV video quality without the horribles upscales we have nowadays even in BD.
I don't see how that issue has a single thing to do with HEVC (or H264 for that matter)
Sam Pinansky
Old 2012-08-17, 05:18   Link #14
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
I don't see how that issue has a single thing to do with HEVC (or H264 for that matter)
he probably mean TV stations will use H265 to air shows with Full-HD BD quality already but i doubt it since i never even heard of any TV station using H264 on their TV shows today, so Full-HD in H265 might just remain on Disc medias
Old 2012-08-17, 05:57   Link #15
cyberbeing

According to the notes from the last HEVC meeting, it sounds like only Main profile supporting 8-bit 4:2:0 will be finalized in January 2013. All other profiles (10-bit to 14-bit, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and others) won't be finalized until January 2014. It also doesn't seem like HEVC Main Profile allows IBDI at all, and is completely fixed at 8-bit.

bit_depth_luma_minus8 = 0
bit_depth_chroma_minus8 = 0
BitDepthY = 8 + bit_depth_luma_minus8
BitDepthC = 8 + bit_depth_chroma_minus8

Maybe things will become a bit more clear in a later draft. IBDI may be restricted to the profile extensions to be defined in 2014. Google seems to have a few older references to a "High Efficiency Profiles" supporting IBDI in addition to "Main Profile" which didn't, but maybe that got scrapped for the time being to meet the January 2013 deadline they set. It will be interesting to see how this all develops over the next few years.
Old 2012-08-17, 07:17   Link #16
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
According to the notes from the last HEVC meeting, it sounds like only Main profile supporting 8-bit 4:2:0 will be finalized in January 2013. All other profiles (10-bit to 14-bit, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and others) won't be finalized until January 2014. It also doesn't seem like HEVC Main Profile allows IBDI at all, and is completely fixed at 8-bit.

bit_depth_luma_minus8 = 0
bit_depth_chroma_minus8 = 0
BitDepthY = 8 + bit_depth_luma_minus8
BitDepthC = 8 + bit_depth_chroma_minus8

Maybe things will become a bit more clear in a later draft. IBDI may be restricted to the profile extensions to be defined in 2014. Google seems to have a few older references to a "High Efficiency Profiles" supporting IBDI in addition to "Main Profile" which didn't, but maybe that got scrapped for the time being to meet the January 2013 deadline they set. It will be interesting to see how this all develops over the next few years.
Yeah, okay, I see now... There definitely seemed to be nothing in the draft about adaptive bitdepth...
Too bad.

By the way, wouldn't quantum computers enable incredibly fast and effecient video compression?
Quantum computers are essentially parallel matrix multipliers, and there's already algorithms (similar to Shor's factoring algorithm) which can do fourier tranforms on quantum states in n log n time.
Has anyone actually done any research into applying quantum computers to mpeg-like video compression? Or better yet design a new video compression scheme that takes advantage of the types of calculations quantum computers are good at?
Sam Pinansky