AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-19, 02:31   Link #121
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

About time Sheh got a role that doesn't demand a high-pitched voice the whole time.
Old 2008-04-19, 22:51   Link #122
Digital Rain

She does a good job of switching between voices and freaking out it seems. Sam Riegel seems like a good match for Minoru as well.
Old 2008-04-23, 22:17   Link #123
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Some peeps got the first volume ahead of time, and the Great Bear posted his thoughts about the dub:

http://animeondvd.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=81098
Old 2008-04-24, 08:20   Link #124
Tamekichi
流離っている

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Some peeps got the first volume ahead of time, and the Great Bear posted his thoughts about the dub:

http://animeondvd.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=81098
Wow, didn't expect a thumbs up on Miyuki's voice, but apparently, it's good stuff.
Old 2008-04-26, 21:45   Link #125
Magedark

At first, it sounded weird. But then I liked the dubs more than I thought. It's probably an acquired taste?

Kagamin's and Tsukasa's dad was really funny though.
Old 2008-04-27, 02:24   Link #126
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I am, at least academically, fairly intrigued to see how they handled the dialog in the dub - whether or not I'm fond of the VA casting or how they handle the voicing.
Old 2008-04-27, 12:33   Link #127
Asrialys

Haha, Stephanie Sheh as Akira is quite awesome. Won me over with her "Unyuu~" in episode 2's Lucky Channel :P
Old 2008-04-27, 16:46   Link #128
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
First Impressions:
Lucky Star Volume One

Spoiler for length:

Lucky Star Volume 1:
Series Material - ✮✮✮✩
Visuals - ✮✮✮✮
Presentation - ✮✮✮✩
Japanese Dub - ✮✮✮✮
English Dub - ✮✮✮✩
Overall - ✮✮✮✩

Last edited by VRMN; 2008-04-27 at 19:53.
Old 2008-07-05, 14:11   Link #129
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Well, this is interesting:

http://animeondvd.com/aodvb/showpost...2&postcount=39

Seems like the Japanese otaku actually liked the English dub and were surprised at the stuff they kept.
Old 2008-07-05, 14:39   Link #130
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wait, both English and Japanese viewers like a Dub? Is that statistically possible?
Old 2008-07-06, 15:35   Link #131
klowny
OH NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Wait, both English and Japanese viewers like a Dub? Is that statistically possible?
it is an okay dub that people like and its takes some getting use to (not use to kagami's voice yet ) already bought the Second volume but the box is taking up alot of space with the rest of my DVD's
Old 2008-07-06, 16:29   Link #132
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

Having watched the dub of DVD 2 a few times, I must say that I think it gets better as the actors get more comfortable with their roles. Kagami is starting to grow on me, and Lucky Channel is getting more funny ~ !
Old 2008-07-24, 19:04   Link #133
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

By episode 5 and 6 (yukatas, festivals, and beach), I give Kagami's English VA a thumb's up. She really does have a nice interp on Kagami (as does Konata's VA).
Tsukasa and Miyuki .... well, it just doesn't quite work in English though "balsamic vinegar" came close.

I guess the biggest issue is just that the dialog as written comes off stilted frequently --- and that's just a problem with dialog having to fit lip movements designed for a foreign language.
Old 2008-07-25, 06:13   Link #134
Amray

I have never ever heard the english dubbing of Lucky Star, and to be honest I do not intend to, for one reason. I am too familiar with the Japanese cast and how they sound and because of this I see the characters with a certain image. Whenever I watch something in English dubbing it changes the whole way that I see the characters. I guess ones voice says a lot in my views on other people...or maybe just for anime anyhow.

I watched a little bit of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu in english and it changed the way that I saw the characters as I watched it, such as Kyon and Haruhi. They seemed like different people..don't ask it's just the way I see things as an individual. So I shall stick to Aya Hirano and Emiri Katou..and original Japanese dialogue in general.
Old 2008-07-25, 15:13   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Those feelings are almost inevitable -- and its why I prefer watching ANY foreign film in the original language with subtitles. The emoting and vocal textures of the original work ... well, they're the ORIGINAL artistic intent.

Recent works of english dubs have come a long way in giving one a whisper of the original work but, for me at least, I'll tend to stick to the original track no matter what the language, animated or live. I'm completely ready to admit when an english dub has done a good job of giving the viewer the spirit of the original though.

I will repeat that if the english VAs were recorded together we'd get a much more lively, emotive voice track. Actors really need that emotional connectivity.
Old 2008-07-25, 17:47   Link #136
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Dubbing sessions are difficult to record. You're restricted by mouth movements and time, not as free to do with the character what you would prefer. That's why so many dubbed anime characters sound so stiff. (And sometimes that actors just suck.) We did a practice dubbing session in a class of mine once, and it was not easy. ^^;

While I wholeheartedly agree that recording together would create a great synergy and more realistic acting between the characters, it would make things very very difficult for everyone involved. I could see it getting really disorganized.

About the Lucky Star dub itself, I adore it. I always expect the worst with these things (though Bandai has seldom disappointed me), but I was so happy with this one. I love Wendee Lee and Kari Walghren, and they're playing my favorites. Doing an awesome job too. And just how faithful they stayed to the original dialog, I don't think I've seen a dub that adhered quite so closely before. I know it got to a point where it's confusing to English listeners at some points, but that's the way I'd personally prefer it. I like the original Japanese better, and it's what I started with, but I have no problem switching from sub to dub with this series. I was so glad that they did it justice. Can't wait to buy the rest of the DVDs.

I do know what you mean about a dub changing your perspective of the characters, though.
Old 2008-07-25, 21:28   Link #137
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. I can actually watch the dub .... and when english Kagami made the "horndog" remark in the yukata-festival episode, I gave the script writers an overall thumbs up. Not literal but the same spirit wins just fine.

Despite preferring the original tracks... it is nice to be able to show it to someone who has trouble following subtitles (astigmatism and subtitles don't always mix).
Old 2008-09-04, 21:46   Link #138
sonicspin
キョン子主義
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to sonicspin
Judging from the few seconds of Misao screentime on Vol. 3, I say they got her voice down.

Personally, I'm alright with all the dub voices, other than Shiraishi's. (TSUDARA OTL)
Old 2008-09-05, 14:21   Link #139
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Cool

I died when I heard Misao's voice...It's too cool!

...But what I don't understand is,in V1 Konata was referred to as "Konata Izumi",but when Miyuki went to the doctor,they called her name as "Takara Miyuki"...Which is it,first name first like most dubs or last name first?

Last edited by Ryuugu-chan; 2008-10-10 at 16:27.
Old 2008-09-05, 15:21   Link #140
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sometimes a doctors offices they call you by last name first in English speaking countries.