AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-08-12, 16:24   Link #3681
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Sounds like Christmas came early this year.

Thank you, Santa Claus.

Oh, and there's this:
Spoiler:

The horror.

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2013-08-12 at 18:58.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 19:58   Link #3682
Vsin
Aldracity

Overall, I thought the VERY beginning and VERY end were good, but everything in between was a disjointed, hyper-rushed hodgepodge. I mean for crying out loud, the Pink Mop was actually one of my favourite fixtures in the series, yet that was completely deleted...rendering Obright x Remi as a rather random romance that buds out of nothing and then dies just as quickly. They even deleted the "Diva is our home" bit FFS.

The beginning was definitely better though - far more coherent as to why Zeheart even cares about Asemu/Romary or why he even "fell into the trap of" the civilian lifestyle. Plus, Swordia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Oh, and there's this:
Spoiler:

The horror.
I can sorta get over them glossing over the Mars Rays, mostly because they were barely mentioned in the OVA.

As for the speech? I thought that bit was a case of intentional lying. I found that the entire buildup leading to that moment made it abundantly clear that he was coming out with his lies and simply showing that he went off the deep end with no idea what to do.

Rather, it made it clear that Ezelcant's Eden was false, his own proposed "Eden" was also false...and then you get the scene with them as kids IN THE SAME "EDEN" ZONE, which shows that friendship was the real Eden he wanted.

...ok, that part was cheesy as all hell, but it's not completely assed >_>
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 05:48   Link #3683
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
he went off the deep end with no idea what to do.
And that part is still a problem. Spectacular character derailment. Coming out of nowhere insisting the stupider and more suicidal his crackpot plan is the more likely it's going to work. Honestly believing THIS is the only way (why?) and the final battle urgently has to happen NOW (because it's not like you've already established the Vegans are perfectly fine doing jack shit waiting around for 100 years in their completely self-sufficient mobile space colony, right?) and there aren't a thousand better ways he can approach this now that Crazy Uncle Ezelcant has relinquished his public stranglehold. And so on.

Zeheart is not a sympathetic character. That little "You are the lights in the sky we saw that day" moment they tried to add at the end fell flat on its face.

He's not even insane in a way you can understand in a basic storytelling sense.

He just starts acting really, really idiotic at an arbitrary point in the plot for no other reason than the writers thought he would be a cool shoe-in for the final boss. The sad part is I think I get what they were trying to do. They watched SEED and figured "Hey, let's remake this to where Kira and Athrun are enemies to the bitter end and one is actually has to kill the other," and I kind of respect that in a crazy way if that's what they were going for. It's just, WOW they had no fucking idea what they were doing in their execution.

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2013-08-24 at 16:16.
Old 2013-08-24, 21:48   Link #3684
Vsin
Aldracity

I dunno, maybe I'm just more sympathetic to showings of self-defeating logic.

Do the actions he took make any real sense to sane individuals? Of course not. However, the general train of logic in situations like those is "I've gotta do something...ANYTHING." And when you have a big red button that says "Shoot Giant Laser", well...

Did he truly need to do any of the crazy stuff? Of course not. He could've achieved the objective of getting everyone back to Earth simply by announcing that Ezelcant died and he took over, opening up diplomatic channels in the process - if AGE2 Flit is to be believed, the Feddies made proposals that Veigans turned down so there could've been dialogue. He didn't even have to bumrush the whole invasion campaign. But he did it anyways because of the self-defeating logic that "I made sacrifices, I have to honour them, and I have to do that by doing what I BELIEVE THE WANT." Emphasis on the BELIEVE, because after some more angst that bit ends up getting warped, and the more times you repeat this cycle the more demented everything gets until the end product bears to resemblance to the beginning.

Granted, the process was absurdly rushed, but I can still see it.

I dunno, maybe I just care more because I went through the whole teen angst emo existential crisis stuff a few years back.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 01:01   Link #3685
Hagoshod
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Do the actions he took make any real sense to sane individuals?
No, but that's not the point here. Zeheart being lolwackee and doing lolwackee things because that's how lolwackee people act, I can understand.

The problem is the fact he IS insane, completely out of nowhere, for no other reason than grimdark plot convenience. You're taking a character who's relatively stable, who's previously been shown figuring shit out for himself, who's being set up as the closest thing to a lone voice of reason in the entire fanatical Vegan looney bin, but then saying oh well there's only 10 episodes left and our perfectly capable current villain isn't edgy enough or something so let's show this other guy a hologram show and give him a flashy Gundam upgrade so he does a 180 and turns into a diehard genocidal fascist.

I swear if you look up the term "character derailment" in a dictionary, you'll see a lifelike illustration of that little rejected Sephiroth douche and his stupid Char mask.

and god dammit I just realized Zeheart's character arc is just a guy version of Shizuru Fujino. No matter I'm unleashing so much rage.

Did your teen angst period involve screaming your head off about how the world was going to end unless you ran over all of your friends with your car? Because otherwise I don't think that analogy really works.

Last edited by Hagoshod; 2013-08-25 at 12:55.
Old 2013-08-27, 11:29   Link #3686
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I just finished Memory of Eden and it was.... Pretty much what I expected. I will give them credit for giving Romary and Zeheart some more depth and somewhat improved action scenes. This could have benefited Age in the TV series, but oh well. At least Bandai tried SOMETHING to improve it.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 22:39   Link #3687
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Watched it over the span of about 2 1/2 weeks, then promptly deleted it...

LOL: "Kiooooooooo! Kiooooooo!, Where are you?!^^

Um, I actually am one the few humans on earth that liked the Spriggan arc because her mobile suit was so blocky yet cool looking, so i did miss that, but everyone has said everything...

This show, and this subsequent OVA was just the summation of a good business pitch that looked good on paper (Gundam that changes over time in different eras with a family of pilots), that was just executed beyond poorly on so many levels...A couple of the fights were still quite nice, especially the padded end fight between Asemu and what now may qualify as a worse mask guy than perhaps even Neo in Zeheart (He looks evenmore inept in the OVA)...I took nothing from the show, but a few impressive fights that blanketed for a moment the rudderless ship that was this presentation...

Wake me when Bandai explains the AGE Builder...
Old 2013-09-11, 07:57   Link #3688
bio9205
Reborn

Just watched the OVA, and I enjoyed it. I do agree with Vsin, though. Only the school arc at the beginning and the Legilis vs Dark Hound battle at the end were good, and that's probably the only parts worth watching. I'm glad they also made some effort to explain Zeheart's descent into madness, even though it's still not very convincing.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 05:57   Link #3689
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So, I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but the Gundam Info channel on YouTube has made AGE episodes available for U.S. viewers. Just an FYI.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 17:39   Link #3690
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Probably a good time for me to finish the rest of the episodes then.....
Old 2013-12-15, 20:43   Link #3691
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Probably a good time for me to finish the rest of the episodes then.....
Where did you leave off?
Old 2013-12-15, 22:42   Link #3692
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
41 or 43......somewhere around there. AGE anime really really lost my interest unfortunately at that point.
Old 2013-12-15, 23:19   Link #3693
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
41 or 43......somewhere around there. AGE anime really really lost my interest unfortunately at that point.
That's about time Kio went full understanding. So I don't blame ya. I love AGE, but that little boy got on my nerves.
Old 2013-12-16, 06:50   Link #3694
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Yeah same here. I went back and watched just the last two eps when BF first started but every time Kio appeared I almost threw up. Not that the ending was any better.
Old 2013-12-16, 17:08   Link #3695
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Yeah same here. I went back and watched just the last two eps when BF first started but every time Kio appeared I almost threw up. Not that the ending was any better.
What I disliked most about those last few episodes was Zeera Gins. Not the best final boss. If they had cut him bout entirely, and just focused on Ezelcant, I think that would have been better.

Not to mention Sid coming out of nowhere and hijacking the Vagan Gear. I had read Sid did that because Vagan Gear used EXADB tech, so they were compatible somehow.

But why Sid bothered to merge with Vagan Gear was still never explained.
Old 2013-12-16, 18:49   Link #3696
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Of course the Vagan Gear used EXA-DB technology. All of the Vagans' technology was derived from what they gained from the EXA-DB fragment. Makes sense that SID found it compatible. My guess as to why it joined with the Vagan Gear is because it saw the Vagan Gear as the most powerful machine present and used it supplement its own power. It likely showed up at all because of the Vagan and Bisidian presence, which it would most certainly see as a threat to be eliminated... given that the Vagans destroyed it and the Bisidian pirates attacked the EXA-DB itself.

All in all it definitely needed to be explained better.
Old 2013-12-16, 18:56   Link #3697
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Of course the Vagan Gear used EXA-DB technology. All of the Vagans' technology was derived from what they gained from the EXA-DB fragment. Makes sense that SID found it compatible. My guess as to why it joined with the Vagan Gear is because it saw the Vagan Gear as the most powerful machine present and used it supplement its own power. It likely showed up at all because of the Vagan and Bisidian presence, which it would most certainly see as a threat to be eliminated... given that the Vagans destroyed it and the Bisidian pirates attacked the EXA-DB itself.

All in all it definitely needed to be explained better.
Heh, my bad...time to rewatch the show.
Old 2017-05-30, 17:23   Link #3698
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So...has anybody watched the recent Tokyosaurus video about Age and the following? It's best if you watch the videos in order below:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Just posting them here for fun