AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 17 23.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 13.70%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 19.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 17.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 9.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 5.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 4.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.37%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 5.48%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-22, 17:39   Link #41
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second

The recap came handly for those that haven't watched Shana in long time, I'd have liked to see more of the Yuji and SoF conversations, actually I spected them through the whole episode, even nearly at the end. But then realized that it may only confuse the viewers that are starting to understand it a bit.

The simbolic parts of the episodes were really clever, with Yuji now 'reaching places that he could only dream with reaching before' and the two towers announcing the begining of a clash.

If counting that they are at the 4th episode and the real part is already starting, I'd say that they have done a good job so far and hope they keep it in this way.
Old 2011-10-22, 18:48   Link #42
Jarmel

And this episode made me realize how much I HATE recap episodes. If you're that far behind in events, go rewatch earlier seasons.
Old 2011-10-22, 18:53   Link #43
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

It's a nice recap episode (even though I don't like them) for those who don't want to spend hours and hours rewatching season 2 and just want to spend 24 minutes grasping all the important things in season 2. Following it up with anticipation on what will happen next and leaving us exactly where we left off from S episode 4.
Old 2011-10-22, 19:21   Link #44
Sorans
Greedy LN reader

I usually don't like recaps but I have to admit, I loved this episode (especially the last part)
Tough, what I liked the most was the background music :3

Now, we need to wait another week T_T
Old 2011-10-22, 20:02   Link #45
Dralha

This show isn't even remotely interesting without the Shana+Yuji dynamics. It's a complete snoozefest. Dull, boring, it tries to be o-so-dramatic, but fails miserably. And with Shana vs. Yuji, it's even worse. I'd suspected from the start that they'd fuck it all up with a third season, and I surely wasn't disappointed in that regard. What a steaming pile of garbage. Dropped.

Last edited by Dralha; 2011-10-23 at 06:52.
Old 2011-10-22, 20:17   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm not sure it's entirely fair to call this a recap episode.

I mean, my rough estimate is that at least half the episode was new content.

For me, this is simply an episode that makes liberal use out of flashbacks in order to help set a mood, and tie the broader narrative altogether. Personally, I didn't have a big problem with Yuji's trip down memory lane. It makes some sense for him to do that upon his return home.

That being said, I can understand how more casual fans of this series would be losing patience by now. Unless you're really, really attached to these characters, the pacing must seem abysmally slow. And Shana practicing with her flame punch made a good substitute for actual fighting action scenes in the first two episodes, but it's now starting to get old.

Shakugan no Shana is a sentimental favorite of mine, though, with a titular character that has an excellent character design when in action, with some of the best anime fight scenes of its time (imo), with a good suspenseful overarching plot, and with a very likable cast of characters.

So a relaxed short trip down memory lane was honestly enjoyable for me, bringing back pleasant memories of why I became a fan of this series in the first place.

It's pretty clear that this third season is meant as a reward for long-time viewers, and light novel readers specifically, rather than to bring in a lot of new fans. At that level its very good, and so I rated this episode a 9/10.
Old 2011-10-22, 20:24   Link #47
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
And this episode made me realize how much I HATE recap episodes. If you're that far behind in events, go rewatch earlier seasons.
Surely every anime viewer in this world has easy access to past episodes, and no one in Japan these days watch on TV. Nope, not at all. Huh, what do you mean not everyone has every anime in existence on their multi-TB drives?

I won't be defending Shana much around here, but this episode certainly helped me recall some stuff. If it was a straight-up recap then yeah, even I wouldn't watch it, but it did include enough present-day scenes that it isn't completely boring.
Old 2011-10-22, 20:32   Link #48
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Okay, at Episode 1, we see people who are confused on what is going on.
And now that there's this recap episode that is supposed to clear some confusion, there are people who complain that we have a recap episode instead of diving into the real deal.

I mean, WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-10-22 at 23:56. Reason: please don't post these sort of retort images
Old 2011-10-22, 21:15   Link #49
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
And now that there's this recap episode that is supposed to clear some confusion, there are people who complain that we have a recap episode instead of diving into the real deal.

Well, you see, when people want answers, receiving information that they already should have known doesn't really help with matters with it when what they need is new information.

Those are 2 different issues.

You can argue that said flashbacks help people connect the dots, and maybe that was unappreciated. But you can't really fault anyone for not liking it being dealt to them in this way.

I mean I really didn't need to be reminded that Kazumi is a worthless character, I'm not sure how that answers any questions.

Honestly, I think if one wants to defend the episode, they could argue that there's plenty of new material and isn't completely redundant.

So, while I think this episode is overhated, I don't think anyone besides Triple_R, Nightengale, and myself (sorry if I missed anyone) have really put forth any compelling arguments to anyone that doesn't like it. But blaming other people for not liking it won't help resolve any disagreements.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-22, 21:17   Link #50
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The episode wasn't as bad a recap episode because it wasn't full out recap, hence why I even gave it a 6/10. Still the recaps really didn't do anything to teach us about Yuiji's current mind set all that well. His character is still left as en enigma and hence I can't help but feel we wasted half an episode on what really was nonsense .

Anyways it at least kind of setup the conflict of the upcoming episodes well so it earned a few points there. Still no way I'll give an episode that is essentially half recap a good rating.

Looking forward to next week at least.

Quote:
How did this episode in the recap moments teach us anything we didn't already know? Most of the recap was of season 1 material at that. Sorry, but this isn't what I was asking for exactly.
Old 2011-10-22, 21:32   Link #51
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Eh, this just means that viewers have learned to be really demanding.
Damn if they do, damn if they don't: that is the mentality that J.C. Staff tries to face as one of the major source of adaptations in the industry.

Quote:
How did this episode in the recap moments teach us anything we didn't already know?
Does this episode need to teach us everything? Let the rest of the series sort things out; besides we're just one-sixth of the entire run, let it slide. At least it's not Horizon's approach that J.C. Staff is adapting.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2011-10-22, 21:40   Link #52
Dr. Casey

Quote:

I don't think many people that have actually watched the episode have posted anything that insulting about it. I thought the episode sounded pretty crappy before watching it, but I expected it was going to be a straight-up clip show rather than a thoughtful, reflective stroll down Memory Lane narrated by any particular character (Which I'm perfectly okay with, that sort of character study is something I like).

Yeah, I enjoyed this episode a lot. The recap was appreciated seeing that there's many things I don't remember well from the first two series, or at all (I'm pretty clueless as to what that 'Outlaw' group is, for starters), and there was a lot more original content than I was expecting. Personally, I think the pacing's perfect so far. Three to four episodes of leisurely build-up before things start speeding up and moving into the thick of the story feels just right to me. The episode itself was also nice, I've always tended to enjoy the more character-driven Shana episodes with the bright color schemes more than those centering around gloomy monochrome Fuzetsu battles (Which I often find to be more bland than atmospheric, though I did enjoy the fights from Shana II a lot more than the original's, so Shana III's probably going to continue that trend).
Old 2011-10-22, 21:41   Link #53
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:

The only reason why some found episode 1 to be a little confusing is because at the end of season 2 was just Shana looking at Yuji and smiling. That was it, but if the whole episode was viewed it'll explain the events. This episode doesn't clear any misconception from the first episode. This is merely for people who don't remember the last 2 seasons.

No one likes recaps, every anime that has a recap episode I skip entirely, the little bits of progression is easily pieced together with the next episode.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-10-22 at 23:58. Reason: removed retort image from quote
Old 2011-10-22, 21:47   Link #54
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
No one likes recaps
Well recaps are designed for TV viewers, especially those who do not have a copy of the Second Season and haven't watched the rerun of the two seasons. Of course, how many years have passed since the Second Season's final episode? I'm sure some details might have forgotten.

Quote:
The only reason why some found episode 1 to be a little confusing is because at the end of season 2 was just Shana looking at Yuji and smiling.
Well, it's a big gamble that they ended Season Two with that note. At that time, they do not know whether the Third Season will be green-lit, so they have to go for a vague cliffhanger. Ending Shana Second with Yuji disappearing while not showing the Third Season will be a worse choice for J.C. Staff.

Old 2011-10-22, 21:51   Link #55
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Eh, this just means that viewers have learned to be really demanding.
Damn if they do, damn if they don't: that is the mentality that J.C. Staff tries to face as one of the major source of adaptations in the industry.
I really don't appreciate you trying to portray people as having impossible standards and that JC staff is somehow some poor studio breaking their back to please the unpleasable.

What I am asking for is some pretty simple details, and no this episode didn't even come close to giving what I wanted.

Quote:
Does this episode need to teach us everything? Let the rest of the series sort things out; besides we're just one-sixth of the entire run, let it slide. At least it's not Horizon's approach that J.C. Staff is adapting.
I'm not asking for the entire story to be told to me. I'm asking for leadup details that are clearly missing from the show.
Old 2011-10-22, 21:57   Link #56
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
To me, it was sort of needed. I mean, I forgot a lot of what happened after 4 years of waiting.
Better now that episode 17, lol.

Anyways, the only thing that disappointed me was how JC Staff had a picture of Shana when Yuji was saying "and made me realize that I can love her." He obviously chose Yoshida, so why are they trying to confuse people by showing a picture of the other girl? Very sneaky of them.
Old 2011-10-22, 21:58   Link #57
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I really don't appreciate you trying to portray people as having impossible standards and that JC staff is somehow some poor studio breaking their back to please the unpleasable.
That's just my opinion, partly influenced by the internet.

Quote:
He obviously chose Yoshida
Wait, when did this happen?

Old 2011-10-22, 22:01   Link #58
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Wait, when did this happen?
End of Season II, where Yoshida cries in happiness that Yuji chose her, and Shana becomes really happy about his and Yoshida's future happiness. But just as he is about to tell Shana (Because he is nice like that), he disappears.
Old 2011-10-22, 22:03   Link #59
Dahak86
Classics never age

lol @Keisaku... he should get arrested on the spot for traumatizing passengers (ep.3) and causing such a ruckus (ep.2) on a public train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralha View Post
This show isn't even remotely interesting without the Shana+Yuji dynamics. And with Shana vs. Yuji, it's even worse. Dropped.
Hm, I can sort of relate to that. But dropping it seems kind of an extreme reaction.
I mean, as long as Shana continues to be Shana, and keeps flashing her pantsu every now and then, how can I possibly drop this?
Old 2011-10-22, 22:06   Link #60
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
End of Season II, where Yoshida cries in happiness that Yuji chose her, and Shana becomes really happy about his and Yoshida's future happiness. But just as he is about to tell Shana (Because he is nice like that), he disappears.
Hahaha, that gave me a good laugh Kristen
Closed Thread