Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-07-27, 16:16   Link #5301
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I suspect it was only Romney's supporters that thought that...
*raise hand

not a rommy
Old 2012-07-27, 16:29   Link #5302
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I suspect it was only Romney's supporters that thought that...
Maybe not, after all how many did think than he went crazy after he choose Palin in 2008 ?
Old 2012-07-27, 16:39   Link #5303
Mentar
Banned

And while we're talking about la la land...

Mitt Romney: Arab Spring Could've Been Avoided By Bush's 'Freedom Agenda'

Words fail me...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 16:51   Link #5304
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
If he screw up in Israel, that would be more likely to hurt his cause.
I kind of want an Israeli journalist to ask if Romney would mind if one of his ancestors was posthumously converted to Judaism, but that seems a little too spiteful....

Truthfully, I think too much is being made of Romney's gaffe in Britain. His sentiment was badly worded, but not to the point of being unintelligible. It was quite clear he meant no harm and had respect for Britain's endeavours.

Now his deliberate misunderstanding of world politics as evidence in the link Mentar provided...well that's something else entirely...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 17:09   Link #5305
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

pretty much saying he met with the head of M16 was facepalm worthy...so much for secret meetings guys!
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 17:11   Link #5306
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
pretty much saying he met with the head of M16 was facepalm worthy...so much for secret meetings guys!
Yeah. He was clearly desperate in trying to make himself look important. But in the process making himself look incompetent.
Old 2012-07-28, 07:45   Link #5307
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Mitt Romney just gaffes way too often, and it's clear he's completely unable to empathise with people who are not just like him (rich white male business owners).

I mean, when he's asked about NASCAR (I'm paraphrasing) "I watch it occasionally, in fact, I know several guys who own NASCAR teams."

You really think that will help you bond with the common man Mitt?

I think it will be very funny if Mitt's Wife's horse wins a medal at the Olympic's Dressage competition. It's not exactly a "working man's" sport.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 08:47   Link #5308
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think it will be very funny if Mitt's Wife's horse wins a medal at the Olympic's Dressage competition. It's not exactly a "working man's" sport.
To be fair, the majority of Olympic sports are not a "working man's" sport (curling is the ultimate "working man's" sport ).

That being said, the Republicans are trying desperately to make Obama seem like Carter in the 1980 Election. Sadly, Romney is nothing like Reagan. In fact, he has far more in common with Bob Dole in the 1996 election or more probably John Kerry in the 2004 Election. Even despite bad numbers for Obama, Romney has always had a very steep uphill climb to actually taking the Presidency.
Old 2012-07-28, 09:30   Link #5309
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
To be fair, the majority of Olympic sports are not a "working man's" sport (curling is the ultimate "working man's" sport ).

That being said, the Republicans are trying desperately to make Obama seem like Carter in the 1980 Election. Sadly, Romney is nothing like Reagan. In fact, he has far more in common with Bob Dole in the 1996 election or more probably John Kerry in the 2004 Election. Even despite bad numbers for Obama, Romney has always had a very steep uphill climb to actually taking the Presidency.
please don't insult Bob Dole

he had his faults but at least he bow his head to the extremeness in the Republican party. And i don't remember him being that disconnected to the common man.
Old 2012-07-28, 10:36   Link #5310
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
please don't insult Bob Dole

he had his faults but at least he bow his head to the extremeness in the Republican party. And i don't remember him being that disconnected to the common man.
I was not comparing their respective visions for the party or the White House (realistically, Dole was extremely conservative, especially his vast support of a Human Life Amendment, something that was diametrically opposed by a larger majority of Americans at the time). But, it must be acknowledged that one of the key reasons Dole lost was the way he was painted as being out-of touch with modern society. I'm sure many of the older political fans remember the hoopla over the silly innocent mistake where Dole, while campaigning, talked about a recent no-hitter from the Brooklyn Dodgers...a team that hadn't existed in 4 decades (they had moved to L.A.).

(Kerry was far worse, of course. But, then again, Bush had far more general approachability than Obama.)

Romney, despite the Republican Party's hopes, is quite easily painted in the same cloth.
Old 2012-07-28, 18:55   Link #5311
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Romney, despite the Republican Party's hopes, is quite easily painted in the same cloth.
Does he need any panting?

No, seriously. I don't see Dems twisting Romney's words. He really IS out of touch, this isn't something that is made up by his opponents. You can't fake this.

What Romney needs to do is to stop pretending he is not. The issue has never been Romney being an aristocrat; the issue is Romney trying to pretend he understands middle class problems. Romney needs to be himself, instead of wearing a paper mache mask that everyone can see.
Old 2012-07-28, 19:32   Link #5312
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Does he need any panting?

No, seriously. I don't see Dems twisting Romney's words. He really IS out of touch, this isn't something that is made up by his opponents. You can't fake this.

What Romney needs to do is to stop pretending he is not. The issue has never been Romney being an aristocrat; the issue is Romney trying to pretend he understands middle class problems. Romney needs to be himself, instead of wearing a paper mache mask that everyone can see.
or he could do as some of the conservative columnist advise hm, Stand, Wave and Say nothing.
Old 2012-07-28, 19:59   Link #5313
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Romney seeks a fresh start in Israel
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86Q1DO20120728
Old 2012-07-28, 20:33   Link #5314
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I read elsewhere that American Jews actually vote Democrat more than GOP. That's rather interesting isn't it?

Because that implies that American Jews don't want crazy hawk policies in the Middle East. And that it is Christian Fundamentalists that are the ones calling for more crusades.
Old 2012-07-28, 20:40   Link #5315
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Dunno about that, at least for now, there's a bit of rumbling going on with them not really liking Obama. Then again, haven't kept up over the last few months with what's going on with the Jewish people...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 20:56   Link #5316
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
Dunno about that, at least for now, there's a bit of rumbling going on with them not really liking Obama. Then again, haven't kept up over the last few months with what's going on with the Jewish people...
Obama won 78% of the Jewish vote last election. Who knows what happens this time.

The economic divide is the same for American Jews. Their 1% vote GOP just like any other 1% in the country. The difference is that the other 99% of American Jews also vote, and THEY vote Dem. (84% of all American Jews are registered.)
Old 2012-07-28, 20:59   Link #5317
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is a few million votes. Around 5 million with that ratio if I remember correctly.
Old 2012-07-28, 23:49   Link #5318
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D185414

So, I'd like to know, isn't it the case that we haven't pulled out of Afghanistan yet because the military officials don't want to pull out suddenly and want to pull out when they feel it is best, and it is taking so much time in part because there was never a good exit strategy from the Bush administration?

Also, that is lousy that'd they'd even compare James Holmes to Obama. It is just 'funny' that somehow the first black president gets so much hate and disrespect...
Old 2012-07-29, 00:23   Link #5319
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post

Also, that is lousy that'd they'd even compare James Holmes to Obama. It is just 'funny' that somehow the first black president gets so much hate and disrespect...
While I'll agree that this is particular incendiary and yet still ridiculously asinine, it's not like Bush didn't get quite a few LOLH8T billboards during his time (though, never quite as over-the-top). The main difference is simply the intelligence level of the attack.

In other words, I really don't think race plays as big a part as you are alluding too.
Old 2012-07-29, 00:28   Link #5320
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
While I'll agree that this is particular incendiary and yet still ridiculously asinine, it's not like Bush didn't get quite a few LOLH8T billboards during his time (though, never quite as over-the-top). The main difference is simply the intelligence level of the attack.

In other words, I really don't think race plays as big a part as you are alluding too.
Probably depends on what part of the country you're in... I can confidently assert it underlies many smoke and facade excuses in South. Scratch the surface and there's a strong hatred of someone "not in his proper place". I have too many friends and relatives with whom we compare notes about the anger hurled at us because we're against Romney and "letting that n***** stay in the White House" (quoted example).

Tags
2012 elections, us elections