AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-13, 21:48   Link #481
Iron21

I wonder what was up with Inori at the beginning of episode when she was jumping in that water puddle. She was flickering. I wonder if it was a cloaking device gone screwy or something.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:51   Link #482
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
I thought Euterpe was the insert song that played near the end when Shu got his level up.
That was most likely Hiroyuki Sawano's insert song, which didn't seem to get credited in the ED. IIRC the same thing happened with Ao no Exorcist where he had uncredited inserts. I suppose it's better to think of them as BGM with vocals in that case.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 21:57   Link #483
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Great opening song but other then that it seem to much like Code Geass
Old 2011-10-13, 22:12   Link #484
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm going to post this before reading any other posts on this thread yet, because I want to give my opinion on the first episode in its pure, raw, uninfluenced form. This is because this first episode resonated with me in a "full spectrum" way that an anime show's first episode hasn't in a long time. So I apologize in advance if some/many of my points are repetitive of what was wrote before, but I want this post to accurately convey my unvarnished opinion on Guilty Crown Episode 1.

Simply put, I fond this first episode to be totally triumphantly terrific. An unblemished tour de force of simply gorgeous character designs, lovely yet realistic setting design, captivating animation, intriguing yet instantly endearing major characters, topical plot, and exquisitely exciting explosive action scenes.

For so long, the world of anime has been crying out for an anime like this, the long-awaited spiritual successor to Code Geass.

However, as great as Code Geass' first season was, I honestly found this premiere episode more impressive than Code Geass'. For as entertaining as Lelouch was, he didn't win me over as quickly as Shu did. Granted, Shu's character is another Makoto Everyman in many ways, but by throwing such a character into the settings and conflicts of this anime's narrative, we see the core appeal of this archetype blossom boldly beautiful. Shu hits just the right balance between admirably courageous, yet realistically questioning of his actions and place in the world. This anime has the potential to be, amongst many other things, a coolly captivating coming of age story.

Now, as for Inori, I really loved her in this episode. She's like a blending of the best elements of Lacus Clyne (Gundam Seed) with C.C. (Code Geass). She has a natural moe to her, that arises out of subtle prettiness, elegant attire, and mysterious but comforting personality.

This episode was stupendously entertaining with a fast and instantly engaging pace, yet not once did I find it hard to follow the plot events or grasp what was going on.

Splendid, splendid anime. Shows like this is why I'm very thankful that anime exists.

10/10 for my favorite anime premiere episode of the year. Yes, the entire year, not just the season.
Old 2011-10-13, 22:15   Link #485
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

First of all, I wish people would stop comparing the overall quality of this first episode to F/Z's first episode. I honestly don't see what was so great about it. Then again, as I said earlier in this thread, perhaps I only feel that way because I am not a part of the strong fanbase that is backing that show. (Not to mention that I often HATE prequels because they tend to range from poorly done to mediocre or "barely acceptable"... With a few exceptions.)

I'm also a little annoyed by people saying things like, "Oh, not another resistance group story". You people DO realize that Geass was NOT the first NOR the last to do a "revolution/guerrilla group terrorism for the benefit of the nation/purge of innocents by evil gov't or corperation" type of story, right? As cliched as it is, it makes for a fairly solid story, it's hard to go wrong with it most of the time (well, unless the show is called Fractale), and it relates to current world events. It's not going anywhere any time soon. Deal with it. (Although I will agree that the premise is similar to Code Geass; pretty girl [with powers?] empowering young male protagonist in a world where Japan is going to hell and big mechs are present type of deal.)

Now to the topic at hand... Everything was superb. The animation, the soundtrack, introduction to the state of the world/the setting, the environment and architectural designs, and even the voice acting. I know the story isn't anything revolutionary, but this is one instance where I don't care. As long as the action remains there and things don't get too stupid story-wise, this is one ride I'm definitely glad to be on.

Last edited by Kismet-chan; 2011-10-13 at 22:40.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:24   Link #486
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Swords are so OP in anime, lol.

You have a mecha? I have a sword. Good game.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:33   Link #487
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
First of all, I wish people would stop comparing the overall quality of this first episode to F/Z's first episode. I honestly don't see what was so great about it. Then again, as I said earlier in this thread, perhaps I only feel that way because I am not a part of the strong fanbase that is backing that show. (Not to mention that I often HATE prequels because they tend to range from poorly done to mediocre or "barely acceptable"... With a few exceptions.)
I liked Fate/Zero's premiere episode, but comparing it to Guilty Crown just demonstrates the very real flaws of Fate/Zero's premiere episode, in my view (in fairness, a lot of that comes down to Guilty Crown having the advantage of being anime original).

Guilty Crown is every bit as visually stunning as Fate/Zero is, if not moreso, and it managed to tell us everything we needed to know (right away) about the setting and conflicts of this anime without requiring a double-sized info-dump to be brutally honest about it.

Guilty Crown also manages to have moe appeal that doesn't come across as pandering, and it also has glorious action scenes, in its very first episode.

Quote:
I'm also a little annoyed by people saying things like, "Oh, not another resistance group story".
Why would anybody be saying this? It's been, what, three or four years since Code Geass had its finale? It's about time for anime to do another story like that, quite frankly. It's something that anime does exceptionally well, and probably should do more often, not less.

Quote:
As cliched as it is,
Cliched? If this is cliched, what the heck do you call anime shows about "cute girls doing cute things" or "healing" anime or "harem anime" or "magical girl anime" or... well, you get the idea.

This type of anime is rare, hardly cliche.

Quote:
and it relates to current world events.
Yes, and that's something I love about it. It feels more real and hence immersive to me as the antagonists in this show seem more reflective of current real world organizations than, say, King Charles and his Britannia did.

Quote:
Now to the topic at hand... Everything was superb. The animation, the soundtrack, introduction to the state of the world/the setting, the environment and architectural designs, and even the voice acting. I know the story isn't anything revolutionary, but this is one instance where I don't care. As long as the action remains there and things don't get too stupid story-wise, this is one ride I'd definitely glad to be on.
Totally agree. Great points.
Old 2011-10-13, 22:36   Link #488
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
I really enjoyed the first episode. Pacing could've been a it slower for the better imo but even so I liked how straightforward it was. The only REAL problem I had with this episode(gotta admit I lol'd too) was how abrupt and out-of-place that BGM was when Gai was kicking ass.

Edit: Then again, it could've been just me since it was a rainy afternoon.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:38   Link #489
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I don't even want to compare F/Z's first episode with Guilty Crown,one is slowly building up and laying the foundation for what should be some pretty epic stuff later on while the other comes in with a bang right away,that's two very different approaches,so I'm not compairing.
Old 2011-10-13, 22:45   Link #490
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:47   Link #491
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Why would anybody be saying this? It's been, what, three or four years since Code Geass had its finale? It's about time for anime to do another story like that, quite frankly. It's something that anime does exceptionally well, and probably should do more often, not less.
There were some people actually saying this a couple of pages back in this thread and on other anime forums. I had the exact same reaction to it as you. I don't see what's wrong with it at all; it's a great thing, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Cliched? If this is cliched, what the heck do you call anime shows about "cute girls doing cute things" or "healing" anime or "harem anime" or "magical girl anime" or... well, you get the idea.

This type of anime is rare, hardly cliche.
It may be a rare theme in anime, but it comes up in other media a lot (especially American movies). Sorry for not pointing that out, hehe. I agree that it should be used a little more in anime. I'd take an anime that makes an attempt at a resistance plot than an anime with a horrible fanservice-y/moe fest type of plot ANY day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep1:
I often wonder what exactly impresses you, serenade. You're always either just mildly amused or unimpressed by most shows. Perhaps I should be watching the things you like, because if it's good enough to get into your "amazing" category, then I definitely would like to see it, lol.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:49   Link #492
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I don't even want to compare F/Z's first episode with Guilty Crown,one is slowly building up and laying the foundation for what should be some pretty epic stuff later on while the other comes in with a bang right away,that's two very different approaches,so I'm not compairing.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Even if Fate/Zero's first episode was dialogue heavy and essentially an info dump, it's nothing more than a stepping stone for more interesting things to come. Fate/Zero will get better after the foundation has been laid, while Guilty Crown may get better or may get worse.

While Code Geass had a similar premise, keep in mind it wasn't the story that made Code Geass so popular, it's because of Lelouch. The show was majorly character driven.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 22:52   Link #493
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I'm more agree to Reckoner's post than one from Triple_R there.
The chara seems rather bland especially if compared to Code Geass have, even in the first eps.
Only Gai that pick many interest from me.. and I'm afraid if there is no fast chara development for Shu, the show will very boring unless Gai filling the spot, its very different to Lelouch and C.C that can very quick leaving impression to audience in Geass.
Old 2011-10-13, 23:01   Link #494
Shinn Kamiyra
Enthralled by music

I'm honestly a bit surprised at how much comparison we're getting with respect to Fate/Zero, Code Geass, etc. Not my intention to be rude here... but seriously, who cares? If you look for similarities, you're going to find them. Hell, even if you're not looking for them, a decently experienced anime fan will find them regardless. More to the point, that does not make or break an anime, especially one that's just started out and needs to be given its fair shake, agreed?

That's all I'm going to say on that.

As to Guilty Crown's first episode itself, I can only say all aces. Seriously. Dazzling animation which was awesome to look at (Inori at the beginning was just spectacularly beautiful), lead into Crown's story and background was smooth with no confusion, characters are varied and well defined, action was great, and perhaps the best thing of all... Crown was real. Absolutely nothing felt fake about it, something which I'm admittedly very picky about.

For a first episode, easily one of my favorites in recent years. Can't wait to see more.
Shinn Kamiyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 23:03   Link #495
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep1:
holy smokes ur still alive

yup don't know too much about making a giant fuss about this nor have i finished watching Sacred Seven (stopped @ 7 due to extreme cliche/lame, let me know if otherwise), but yup the first episode (other than the masterpiece first 5 minutes intro/opening) was completely Code Seven / Seven Geass pick ur poison

show is also planned to run for half a year, 24-26 episodes, looks like it's Production I.G.'s turn to make an Anti-Government Mecha Harem.

dont get me wrong though, Code Geass is nothing bad, and this will probably trail its footsteps very closely, if not surpass them

just the, you know, girl captured in scene, somehow involves boy, gives him superpowers to rebel against evil forces, it's kinda hard to just dismiss as "happens everywhere"

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 23:03   Link #496
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faythz View Post
Preview episode 2
http://www.guilty-crown.jp/
Looks intriguing. Hoping this episode changes my current impression on the MC.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 23:17   Link #497
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
It may be a rare theme in anime, but it comes up in other media a lot (especially American movies).
That's probably a fair point, one I'd be ignorant of as I've watched few live-action movies the last few years (just don't have time for it between my anime fandom and my pro hockey fandom).

Nonetheless, a story in animated format will tend to have a very different feel than the same sort of story in a live-action format.

Quote:
Sorry for not pointing that out, hehe. I agree that it should be used a little more in anime. I'd take an anime that makes an attempt at a resistance plot than an anime with a horrible fanservice-y/moe fest type of plot ANY day.
Yeah, even though I like moe a lot, I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero147 View Post

While Code Geass had a similar premise, keep in mind it wasn't the story that made Code Geass so popular, it's because of Lelouch. The show was majorly character driven.
I somewhat disagree. I loved the depth and complexity of Code Geass' world and plot. Political intrigue is something I typically like to see in anime, so I really appreciated the role that played in Code Geass, separate from character appeals alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinn Kamiyra View Post

As to Guilty Crown's first episode itself, I can only say all aces. Seriously. Dazzling animation which was awesome to look at (Inori at the beginning was just spectacularly beautiful), lead into Crown's story and background was smooth with no confusion, characters are varied and well defined, action was great, and perhaps the best thing of all... Crown was real. Absolutely nothing felt fake about it, something which I'm admittedly very picky about.

For a first episode, easily one of my favorites in recent years. Can't wait to see more.
I couldn't agree more with every word you wrote here. You summed it up quite nicely and succinctly.

Yes, for all of its sci-fi glitz and glamor, Guilty Crown managed to feel real to me, and that added so much to it, imo.

One little tidbit here is the conversations between Shu and various classmates. It feels so down-to-Earth and reflective of conversations between real life high school kids, imo.
Old 2011-10-13, 23:20   Link #498
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

This was delightful. We get a character who seems halfway human when presented with the possibility of imminent death. If I didn't know who the writers were... I'd say it's like Code Geass with the world (or global conspiracy) as the enemy instead of a not-British-America. Also, it seems like he pulled a pair of balls out along with that sword.

The video coming on to screen seemed a bit off; I'd like to think it might be significant later on. I question the need for a pink-haired songstress though. Does pink make one's voice more melodious?
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 23:20   Link #499
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

People only mention Fate/Zero because Fate/Zero is Guilty Crown's main competitor in the visual/audio compartment this season.

Code Geass is mentioned mostly because of similar superficial elements and the staff being the same.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 23:23   Link #500
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Shu Ouma - 17 years old. The main character. His right hand holds a special ability - The King's Power. He is able to extract something known as "Void" from his allies. "Void" is a physical manifestation of a person's personality, and can take the form of a sword, or a musical instrument, or a camera. To apply this ability in combat, he has no choice but to make friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The strength of your social links will determine your potential.
i don't know if it been bring up already, but the concept of the "Void" seem to copy from persona series.
and persona series has been around since 1996 so it can't be the other way aroud
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig