Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-25, 01:40   Link #241
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's also not $60. Only EA games and other big-name releases are $60. Tera was $50, like games used to be for years until EA forced the price upward.
I've seen TERA for sale as low as 35€ here in Europe, I'm not sure about the American version though.
Old 2012-04-25, 02:12   Link #242
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Amazon sells NA Tera for $49.99.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 07:15   Link #243
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
This has been addressed in this thread before so I'll keep it short ; Questing is not TERA's appeal, and it will never be. And those who play TERA, they're not looking for the questing. They're looking for the fun and intense combat that we do have, and that's why the game is so good. If you prefer quests over combat, then by all means, go play this almighty GW2 that everyone seems to think is superior to any other MMO out there.
I only answered your question, you said nobody had explained to you what they thought involved quests meant, I answered. Indeed, questing is not TERA's appeal. And it is the lack of involved quests that some people say turns them of TERA, which, like it or not, does make it a downside for those players.

Quote:
How do gold sellers keep running if they have to buy a $50 box every time they get banned? And they get banned ALOT if the game company is actively banning them. Even though there are buyers, having 100 banned bots daily adds up to $5000, do they sell that much in a day? And the point was that if it has p2p it will at least reduce gold sellers, which in turn will make the game more enjoyable, meaning p2p > f2p.
Your logic sounds solid, and I truly wish you were correct. But it falls apart against the reality that, regardless of whether there's a 50 dollar price plus a monthly fee blocking them, every MMO is filled with gold spammers. I have yet to see a subscription fee make a noticable difference in this. Keyword being noticable.

Quote:
No? Do you try out every single game out there? Probably not. Graphics and visuals in general are very important to me. GW2 already lacks in this department, I have seen some videos. The point here is that like with anime, Sugetsu is interested in TERA; yet judges it from first couple hours. It's like that when you look at anime chart and oh look, that seems like a nice series. But when it starts off slow, you say it's rubbish and never look at it again.
So you do the equivelant of looking at the anime chart and a trailer or two and decide that the anime is rubish and don't watch it. Yet you call people out who at least tried the first episode before deciding.

Can you not see the hypocricy in this? If you need to play the entire game to make accurate judgements how can you possibly call people out on doing so while calling GW2 rubbish without having touched it?

Quote:
Lineage is western.. since when? It was developed by NCSoft and to your information, NCSoft is Korean, thus the game is Korean. Couldn't find info on whether it was released on US or KR first but if it's developed by Koreans, it's Korean.
I stand corrected on Lineage. Which still leaves, what, 8 other succesful non-korean MMO's from the top of my head? A list that will most likely grow when I reach for wikipedia?

Quote:
Syn has also raised some good points. Especially the customer service.. Even I have played Aion when it was p2p, and NCSoft was AWFUL. I don't know if anyone here has had anything to do with EME's support team yet, but they are excellent. Can you name any other developer out there, who has 24/7 live chat to address you with your problems, and even a 24/7 phone if you prefer calling?
Your argument undermines itself, actually. Aion had horrible customer support, despite being a pay to play title at the time. Which means that a monthly fee does not automatically translate to better customer service. It is the motivation of the company involved that matters, which is in no way inherently more reliant on a monthly fee compared to a cash shop.

I would disagree that games with a monthly fee create a higher sense of responsibility. This sense of responsibility flows from the need for return customers, which is a factor in both p2p and ftp titles, as a cash shop requires returning customers to generate income just as much as a monthly fee does (indeed, the only games not affected by this would singleplayer games).

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-04-25 at 07:25.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 07:36   Link #244
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Before the TERA thread derails too much, perhaps this discussion should be taken over to the costs of gaming thread.
Old 2012-04-25, 15:56   Link #245
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Yes, please move the subscription vs. free-to-play with microtransactions argument to that other thread so we can talk about fireball-shooting lolis and sword-wielding ladies in scantily clad outfits.

When the game starts back up on Saturday (for those of us who preordered, anyway) the other seven character slots will be opened... it will be time to create alts. Oh, and then I'll have to write character bios and backstories for each of them...
Old 2012-04-25, 16:47   Link #246
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I got some codes on my email for the NA headstart, in case someone haven't preordered yet. (I doubt.. but might as well share them here). You get to start at the same time as head start people, and characters carry over to launch if you buy the game.

XYYRML6KXCWDFE36AFDR3L9TN
GGNFH9CD3693LH39T7YJ9WDTT
HY3PM6N75C7RLCMD6KC64F4AE

I find it kinda weird that they distributed 3 codes per user, and most of us probably got these codes too .. This means that people who did not preorder will still be with us at head start, and they may not even buy the game .. free loaders :x (Still, use them if you want..)
Old 2012-04-25, 16:58   Link #247
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

It's quite strange that they would give 3 codes to one user...
Old 2012-04-25, 19:55   Link #248
Mow Yun

I've heard they don't have much in the budget for advertising so they are probably leaning on word of mouth more than most companies.
Old 2012-04-25, 21:59   Link #249
Xion Valkyrie

All 3 are no longer valid >.<

Anyone else have any more? =D
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 05:29   Link #250
Dist

Well that sucks. I'd appreciate if people left a word of thanks or at least mention that they used code X .. <<
Old 2012-04-26, 06:10   Link #251
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Always do stuff like that in private. It's easier on the conscience.
Old 2012-04-26, 06:17   Link #252
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
I've heard they don't have much in the budget for advertising so they are probably leaning on word of mouth more than most companies.
Yes but I find it weird that they are giving out codes that let people join on headstart. Headstart was supposed to be Pre-order exclusive but even now we may see '' free loaders '' in there, as in people who were never going to even buy the game. Most people who are interested in TERA would have preordered it by now anyway so what's the point of these codes?
Old 2012-04-26, 07:21   Link #253
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Yes, please move the subscription vs. free-to-play with microtransactions argument to that other thread so we can talk about fireball-shooting lolis and sword-wielding ladies in scantily clad outfits.

When the game starts back up on Saturday (for those of us who preordered, anyway) the other seven character slots will be opened... it will be time to create alts. Oh, and then I'll have to write character bios and backstories for each of them...
Hahaha, getting into it I see? Wonder if any of those character's will be straight.

I got my backgrounds already set. My lancer is the only one I'll really go all out on tho.
Old 2012-04-26, 08:01   Link #254
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
I got some codes on my email for the NA headstart, in case someone haven't preordered yet. (I doubt.. but might as well share them here). You get to start at the same time as head start people, and characters carry over to launch if you buy the game.

I find it kinda weird that they distributed 3 codes per user, and most of us probably got these codes too .. This means that people who did not preorder will still be with us at head start, and they may not even buy the game .. free loaders :x (Still, use them if you want..)
I did not receive such codes, so I suppose they're not sending them to everyone.
Old 2012-04-26, 08:26   Link #255
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:

I hope you didn't get hacked or nothing, I haven't recieved that email at all .. yet..
Old 2012-04-26, 09:05   Link #256
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I hope you didn't get hacked or nothing, I haven't recieved that email at all .. yet..
Wtf are you talking about? How would being hacked be related to the email in any way possible? Even if we assumed that I was hacked, why would I receive such email? The codes were in my email, to be inserted to TERA site .. .. -_-

Also as previously, the codes are sent to TERA '' veterans ''. Meaning if you just joined last beta, you probably won't get them. I preordered weeks ago and have played in many betas.. I spoke of '' most of us '' because that's how it is, most of the players who have pre-ordered TERA will definitely have been playing longer than just one beta.
Old 2012-04-26, 09:37   Link #257
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

You need to stop being hostile, I was just being sure it was a legit email, because I received several well crafted emails from WoW account hackers. Almost fell for one before.

You can never be too carefful.

So...sorry for making sure and worrying about your account?
Old 2012-04-26, 10:07   Link #258
Mow Yun

I got one as well. Though by now, I only have one code left.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:18   Link #259
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Yea guess I didn't read your post all the way, my fault for reading it on this stupid ccellphone. Sorry Dist. But it doensnt hurt to be careful.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:53   Link #260
Dist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
You need to stop being hostile, I was just being sure it was a legit email, because I received several well crafted emails from WoW account hackers. Almost fell for one before.

You can never be too carefful.

So...sorry for making sure and worrying about your account?
That was hardly hostile, sorry if it seemed that way. However, I can still not comprehend your deduction of hackers from an email that gives out codes for other users.

If the email required you to log in to somewhere to redeem the codes, that would be a different story but these were distributed in the email.

Also TERA hasn't even launched yet .. The possibility of phishing emails for TERA at this point is nonexistent.