AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2013-11-14, 23:51   Link #10821
maplehurry

Corporations to be elevated to Nation State status.

Maybe next, a school can be declared Nation State too !
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 00:17   Link #10822
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post

This is serious. This could be very, very bad if it passes. This belongs in the regular news section.
Old 2013-11-15, 00:50   Link #10823
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

^ that sounds horrifying. I'm not flush with history but doesn't that smack of letting them get away with what the East India Trading company did back in the day (completely fk things up for everyone that wasn't them, ie China).
Old 2013-11-15, 04:35   Link #10824
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I seem to recall that the universe of Babylon 5 had megacorperations that were basically nation-states in terms of power and influance. But not in change of governments like the Earth Alliance, nor were they part of the government.
Old 2013-11-15, 04:37   Link #10825
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Weyland-Yutani. That is all.
Old 2013-11-15, 07:20   Link #10826
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

So all those cyberpunk dystopias where corporations rule fiefdoms and empires are coming true?
Old 2013-11-15, 07:52   Link #10827
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I wonder if that would change the Koch brother's behavior
Old 2013-11-15, 08:23   Link #10828
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
So all those cyberpunk dystopias where corporations rule fiefdoms and empires are coming true?
It Asia it would be something like Feudal Japan.

Actually I wouldn't mind being an Eurocop agent with all those augs.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 14:34   Link #10829
flying ^

This man shouldn't have 'spilled his guts'.

First, figuratively...

Then
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 20:37   Link #10830
JokerD

SAF stopping the singing of ‘misogynist’ lyrics from marching song: AWARE

Of all the things to complain about *facepalm*
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 20:42   Link #10831
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Eh..... even I would find the particular lyrics to be out of line.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 21:23   Link #10832
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I am on Sumeragi's side on this one. I wouldn't had called those lyrics ''misogynist'' but anyone than would act like in that song would deserve (in my opinion) to be castrated with a shotgun and to be let to die from the bleeding.
Old 2013-11-15, 22:57   Link #10833
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
No need sing = no need waste breath when route marching :P

Seriously...the last thing anyone wants to do when on a route march is sing
Old 2013-11-15, 23:53   Link #10834
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Eh..... even I would find the particular lyrics to be out of line.
Agreed, those are some pretty extreme choice of words for lyrics that I don't think would be fit for any song especially for what it is.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 00:29   Link #10835
Ridwan

Gee, whatever the writer was drinking when he wrote it.
Old 2013-11-16, 01:33   Link #10836
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Agreed, those are some pretty extreme choice of words for lyrics that I don't think would be fit for any song especially for what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Gee, whatever the writer was drinking when he wrote it.
Might as well don't sing any song during route march. In tough times, people turn to dark humour to keep themselves going; the army days are full of them.

Besides, AWARE tends to be a feminist institution who makes local women look like materialistic overindulgent sluts with their campaigns. If they really want to empower women, they should pursue justice against "fire after pregnancy" policies held by firms rather than wasting time on such moves that only bolster their reputation with no real value added to society.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-11-16, 02:29   Link #10837
JokerD

The song lyrics describe a soldier's feelings when confined in an even smaller island for 6 weeks during conscription. The girlfriend running off with another person is not unheard of during that time. Instead of asking for politically correct lyrics for a song in a place females would usually never step foot in, isn't there better things to fight for?
Hint: 2 years conscription
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 03:10   Link #10838
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
The song lyrics describe a soldier's feelings when confined in an even smaller island for 6 weeks during conscription. The girlfriend running off with another person is not unheard of during that time. Instead of asking for politically correct lyrics for a song in a place females would usually never step foot in, isn't there better things to fight for?
I am actually surprised that nobody made any noise about ANOTHER part of that cadence :

Purple Light, in the showers,
Dropped my soap, picked it up
Felt a pain, up my asshole,
It was my rifle and my buddy in me~

So where are the conservatives and pro-377A groups, which have overlaps into AWARE?

That is fallacy of composition; hence all the more not to pay attention to any of these "hoo-hah" groups who seek attention to themselves by marginalising miniscule issues rather than the major ones.

P.S I had a mate who was joking about his mum who works for a delivery company. He said that the C-130 song "disturbed her" because of the line "If I die in the no-man's land, pack me up and Fedex me home" because her company is a rival to Fedex. Army songs are that full of dark humour.

And oh yay, it got reported :

Woman calls police over cosplayer’s ‘underboob’ at anime festival

Quote:
What is an "underboob"?

Well, a woman probably found out what it is after calling the police on a female cosplayer recently.

The woman had reportedly been offended by the revealing costume worn by the cosplayed at the Anime Festival Asia, which was held at Suntec International Convention and Exhibition Centre from 8-10 November. According to video game blog Kotaku.com, the woman had called the police after seeing the female cosplayer wearing an outfit that had exposed the bottom part of her breasts — it is an area known as the "underboob".

The female cosplayer, wearing a body-fitting blue and red costume, was in character as Ryuko Matoi, the main protagonist from popular anime Kill la Kill.

Another blogger wrote about the incident on anime blog, One Pixel Jump, which reported that the woman was coming from a church service held in the same building and that the two had gotten into a fight over the outfit and made a big scene before calling the police. There was no arrest, the blogger said.

A commenter, who said he 35 years old, responded to the post saying, “This incident happened in the space outside the event hall where a lot of cosplayers had set up impromptu photography areas…The police did not arrest anyone, and the cosplayer in question is not in trouble, although she was rather traumatised.”

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-11-16 at 03:20.
Old 2013-11-16, 06:15   Link #10839
maplehurry

Quote:
Actually, for these kind of organization, it makes more sense to win an easy fight, however minor, than getting stuck on tough case without getting anything done. The fact that this is being reported on Yahoo proved that they made the "right" choice.

As for this particular case, I don't know enough about how prevalent rape is in Singapore to judge how relevant AWARE's effort is here. If it's relatively rare, then I suppose they did something pointless (aside from news coverage). But if rape is "common" there, then I think they have a point. I know general crime rate is really low there, but I can't really find any specific statistics on rape. (other than a blog post from yahoo that says it's as common as it's in India, which I am sort of skeptical of)

Edit: I did find something on wiki afterward which does quote Singapore having higher rape rate than India, except that the rape rate of USA is quoted as 18 times higher than India on that wiki page.... I suppose all those gang rape news from India had skewed my perception.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2013-11-16 at 07:11.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 06:21   Link #10840
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Calif. boy with leukemia wows crowds as `Batkid'
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-16-03-35-30

Tags
humor