AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-04-18, 14:00   Link #1
L. Lawliet

DVD burning question

Ok, to start things off, I'm a newbie at these kinds of things. With that out of the way, I'm going to buy a dvd burner (external) but before I do, I need to know a couple of things. I want to be able to put anime on dvds and watch them on my wide screen television. Would my xbox 360 be able to play the episodes? And Should I get Nero for this?

Last edited by L. Lawliet; 2008-04-18 at 19:16.
L. Lawliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 15:38   Link #2
Doughnuts

If you burn it as a dvd, both a normal DVD player and 360 should play it ok, but you're only going to get a few episodes on each DVD at most, and the quality isn't particularly noteworthy. Nero does the best automated job of avi->dvd that I've seen, but you can get better quality doing it manually, although that can be a pain. As far as I know, Nero Vision won't do mkv->DVD anyway.
I think DVDs are kinda outdated and useless. Maybe consider buying an affordable-range graphics card that supports TV-out and a $10 cable to connect it to your TV. If my £70 graphics card bought ~4 years ago can handle it I'm sure you can get one for about the same price of a DVD burner and the blank DVD's you'll waste.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 16:05   Link #3
L. Lawliet

so nero can make avi videos into dvds right?
Old 2008-04-18, 17:02   Link #4
Z3120

I'm sure there are other reasons you haven't listed for why else you're planning on burning your anime to DVD, but if you merely want to watch it on your widescreen TV, instead of DVDs, why not use a usb flash (pen) drive? Even a paltry 1 gb flash drive is more than sufficient (personally) unless you don't want to switch back and forth transferring files from PC to 360.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 19:09   Link #5
L. Lawliet

The anime I wanted to burn was Death Note, and I was also wondering (for those that have done so) How the quality was on the Episodes from The viz website (I have all the dvds, but they come out too slowly, and they are on episode 33). That is why I was asking about the dvd burning, because I wanted to have those on disc (because i'm paying 2.00 per episode, I should have the right to privately view them).

Last edited by L. Lawliet; 2008-04-18 at 21:25.
Old 2008-04-18, 23:40   Link #6
Z3120

If you want to play those anime files on a DVD player, then I could see why you may need to reencode those files and then burn those files onto a DVD as a DVD Movie to be read by a DVD player. But as far as I have done, you can burn your video files out onto a DVD as a Data DVD and your 360 will read them fine (with Nero, or whatever else you choose to use. I use Roxio for reasons I won't elaborate on nor suggest. It's not even on par to Nero imo. I have both on my computer, so meh).

But because you bought the episodes from Viz, I have no idea what the file format your videos you bought from Viz are in ie. avi, mkv, mp4 or etc and the size of each file (guessing a few hundred megabytes at most). So I don't know if those files would work like the anime you can simply download from animesuki and play without troubles (except h264, sub related issues). I'm thinking issues might arise similar to songs you buy from iTunes and can only play on iPods unless you reencoded them. But I have little knowledge on both iTune purchased songs and file formats from the Viz website.
Old 2008-04-19, 02:41   Link #7
L. Lawliet

Thanks, but I think i'll just stick with the computer though....
Old 2008-04-19, 15:09   Link #8
Z3120

You could try VideoHelp. There's plenty of helpful guides there depending on what you want to convert to or from, and I'm sure there's one for you that'll help your specific needs. The reason I'd advise against burning your files as DVD movies is because I remember I had to reencode my video files and the quality was worse since it's nothing more than an upscale, but I have no idea what's the default (native) resolution on your files so who knows how well they'll turn out or even if you need to do so (since I'm assuming video files purchased might be similar to how you purchase songs from iTunes - restricted to specific devices if you don't reencode them).

Now, as a Data DVD, similar to burning a music CD with your custom mp3s, is something you should try and see if it'll work. If you have a spare DVD to use, then you could try a little experiment and burn those files you downloaded from Viz and see if your 360 can read the DVD you burned the files onto and play them.

Personally, if it's possible, why not stream the video files to your 360 through an ethernet cable (not the 100$ overly priced wireless gaming adapter imo). TVersity is what I used and it's great except for h264(x264) files (where I need to rip the subs from the h264 file and insert them into the new video file I'm making).