AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-05-18, 20:13   Link #1321
Oblivion

Was wondering when this would get a subforum.

As for Hyouka I thought it would just be another K-On at first but I was clearly wrong. The only thing it has in common is the stunning visuals. Starts off slow at first but picks up the pace after the first two episodes.

Last edited by Oblivion; 2012-05-19 at 23:00.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 01:34   Link #1322
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Just wanted to say that I'm following this (along with Sakamichi).

The last KyoAni series I loved was CLANNAD - AS, so I'm very happy to see their talent (and budget) invested in a show like this. Indeed, I'm watching this for the bittersweet life of highschoolers. The mystery is icing on the cake.

And I absolutely love Oreki Houtarou~ Like someone mentioned before, he resembles Gontoki (Gintama). Another favorite thing is... what is it called... the "depiction" of theories and mystery's solution. I like their imagination!

So am I the only girl here?
Old 2012-05-20, 00:56   Link #1323
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I finally got around to watching episodes 1-4 all in one sitting...

If I had to sum this series up in a single word, it would be "classy". It's so appropriate that everything revolves about a Classics club because the dialogue, the way the characters think, the presentation, attention to details and inclusions of subtleties... Everything is just handled in such an elegant and classy way. Watching this anime is like the visual equivalent of a wine tasting party or reading fine literature. I had a feeling it would be good, but not this good.

One of my particular favorite elements of this show is how all four of the major characters are above average intelligence (albeit in very particular ways, such as each character having one or two particular things about them that they excel in mentally) and how the environment often reflects the emotion of the scene or of a character. For example, the cafe Houtarou invites Eru to is very low-key and isn't overly bright, a lot like Houtarou's personality. And when we meet Mayaka for the first time, it's in the library she volunteers at, which is very bright and somewhat cluttered -- resonating with Mayaka's (and Satoshi's) personalities.

I won't even comment on the visuals (designs and animations) because I already knew that those would be well done given the studio, so I'm not even the slightest bit surprised by the high level of quality in that department.

Very excited to be on-track with this show now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
*Raises hand* No, you certainly aren't. :>

Last edited by Kismet-chan; 2012-05-21 at 05:50.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 10:38   Link #1324
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post

Nope!

I think that the best part of this show is the fact that Eru doesn't come off as a fanservice-target or a moeblob, and that's not something that I see often, unfortunately. She has an actual personality, same with the other mains. Mayaka is the only one I haven't quite warmed up to yet though. As someone else has said, she seems to lack much purpose so far..?
Old 2012-05-21, 02:04   Link #1325
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
EP 5 was actually really nicely paced. It is a worthy conclusion to the Niece of Time arc
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 18:34   Link #1326
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
EP 5 was actually really nicely paced. It is a worthy conclusion to the Niece of Time arc
It's split up into arcs? How many are there?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 18:57   Link #1327
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
It's split up into arcs? How many are there?
The show is based off of the Kotenbu series of novels, which Hyouka is the first volume of. The remaining arcs will be from the other novels. We're not sure if they will be animating all five novels or if they will simply animate the first four. The fifth novel has something different than the rest and might not work well to end the series. The first four have been given special anime-style cover jackets, so that is likely to play a role too.

Edit: KyoAni usually spends around 5-6 episodes per novel, so that would indicate the first four given the amount of episodes this series has.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 19:51   Link #1328
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

wow episode 5 was great, it just shows why KyoAni is one of the elite when it comes to anime. Why did they call the anime series Hyouka then, if it's simply just based off one arc, wouldn't have Kotenbu be a better name for the anime?
Old 2012-05-21, 22:25   Link #1329
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Note in Episode 2 how Houreki coldly and matter of factedly observed from a distance the shared joy of his 3 acquaintances (you are only a "friend" if you love or at the very least CARE for someone), and frankly admits to himself in his inner monologue "I just can't be like that. I wonder why."
I think he means that he cant exert as much energy as his friends can, conforming to his character. Its not that he doesnt care, he thinks he doesnt have the energy to show it.

Quote:
And notice the violently explosive outrage of "NOT INTERESTED!! OKAY?" when pleaded to care for Eru-chan's plight. That would require the ability to (A) relate to another human being (B) care. 2 things that he candidly admits that he never wants to do unless FORCED to do so. And his flat "I'll help be but I WONT make any promises" is a textbook example of a sociopath's attempt to placate someone to leave him alone with a lazily given but rarely fulfilled half-promise.
The fact is that he accepted Eru's request. Notice his response when Eru told him that she cant count on numbers to solve her problem because its not easy for her to just share this problem. He apologized because he considered her feelings. The following episode is also evidence for his concern. He didnt prepare very well but when he observed Eru's struggle, he immediately complied and "wasted" his precious energy.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 03:32   Link #1330
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
The fact is that he accepted Eru's request. Notice his response when Eru told him that she cant count on numbers to solve her problem because its not easy for her to just share this problem. He apologized because he considered her feelings. The following episode is also evidence for his concern. He didnt prepare very well but when he observed Eru's struggle, he immediately complied and "wasted" his precious energy.
All for this side of the camp.

Remember that he... didn't have to do this. He might say he's "forced" to do it, but in reality, no one will blame him if he refused Chitanda Eru's request, or let that theory he created in Ep 4 simply go astray. He had his own volition and wasted energy on it.

Of course he still saves energy, but at least...not so much absolutely everything unnecessary.... but when he's not helping Kotenbu. (Classics Club)
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 03:50   Link #1331
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The fifth novel has something different than the rest and might not work well to end the series.
Now I'm intrigued. What is this difference that makes it a bad choice to adapt?
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 05:31   Link #1332
pinoscotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The show is based off of the Kotenbu series of novels, which Hyouka is the first volume of. The remaining arcs will be from the other novels. We're not sure if they will be animating all five novels or if they will simply animate the first four. The fifth novel has something different than the rest and might not work well to end the series. The first four have been given special anime-style cover jackets, so that is likely to play a role too.

Edit: KyoAni usually spends around 5-6 episodes per novel, so that would indicate the first four given the amount of episodes this series has.
Spoiler:
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 05:51   Link #1333
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoscotto View Post
Spoiler:
Try asking that in the novel discussion thread instead http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112303
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 19:49   Link #1334
tyciol
*Artist

I'm prob going to go with GG due to the longer history and blue-Nyaa-ranking but does anyone know how good Mazui's is by comparison? I've enjoyed their work on other series in the past.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 21:03   Link #1335
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
I'm prob going to go with GG due to the longer history and blue-Nyaa-ranking but does anyone know how good Mazui's is by comparison? I've enjoyed their work on other series in the past.
gg is an unabashedly terrible choice for subs, why would anyone ever pick them when they have another decent option? Sure they have a long history but its one of trolling, terrible encoding jobs and spotty subs at best. If that sounds like your cup of tea then by all means go with them, but otherwise just about any other option is the better one.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 07:38   Link #1336
MartianMage

I'm kinda getting a feeling of deja vu in this subforum. It kinda feels like the old Kannagi subforums back when it was still airing. <_<
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!

Last edited by MartianMage; 2012-05-27 at 10:33.
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 07:55   Link #1337
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
gg's subs are perfectly fine, and I think their translator for the show, 8thSin, is a pretty cool guy.

I don't much like Mazui myself, but I haven't seen their subs so I don't know.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 01:44   Link #1338
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I haven't tried gg's subs so I can't make a fair opinion. I personally have been using Mazui myself and have had no problems. There are a few mistakes here and there, but nothing troublesome at all. The text is unobtrusive, and there is an obvious amount of effort put into them.

I could really care less about the subs though, since I'm always drooling at the animation quality. That, and I get into shows like this too much...and that's a good thing in my books.
Old 2012-05-28, 01:52   Link #1339
Random Wanderer

I'm using Commie subs. They seem workable. I will never use GG again, after a blatant trolling line they used in an episode of Yumekui Merry. It was just so utterly obvious that that was not what was being said.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 04:41   Link #1340
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Mazui's is very professional.

Also, man - I really hope Houtarou and Chitanda become a couple earlier in the series, rather than the typical last episode type of deal, just for a change of pace.

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life