AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-02, 08:10   Link #1
james0246

One Piece - Chapter 683 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

---

Full chapter spoilers have been released a little early.

Quote:
-Monet traps Luffy in a giant igloo (which he is having trouble escaping from). She acknowledges that she could not defeat Luffy in a physical fight, so she attempts to put him to sleep by lowering his core temperatures to knock him out. Luffy escapes by breaking through the floor, falling into the ventilation ducts below. Monet leaves the scene.

-Meanwhile, Chopper, having mastered Monster Point, is using the form to try and prevent the children from consuming their "candy" and irreversibly damaging themselves. Since he refuses to harm the kids, they quickly overwhelm him and attempt to gain the candy.

-Finally, Law confronts Vergo and attempts to retake his heart, but Vergo stays one step ahead of Law and subdues the Shichibukai. Once Law is K.O.d, Smoker appears. Chapter ends.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-10-02 at 09:20.
Old 2012-10-02, 08:37   Link #2
Trax
Rock beats scissors

So... Luffy doesn't actually get to fight Monet, but some other Strawhats probably will. I doubt Luffy will be stuck down there for long, but who will his real opponent be?

Law got his ass kicked by Vergo, but now it's Smoker's turn at last. Should be interesting.
Old 2012-10-02, 08:47   Link #3
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I hope I can see Law put on more fight... but looks like it won't happen before he got back his heart...
kick Vergo's ass, Smoker... it's been a while since last time I see Smoker's fight
Old 2012-10-02, 11:10   Link #4
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Any reason why Luffy didn't attack Monet, other than the possible reason of her being a girl?
Old 2012-10-02, 11:53   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Any reason why Luffy didn't attack Monet, other than the possible reason of her being a girl?
well, she was hugging him.
Old 2012-10-02, 12:23   Link #6
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Any reason why Luffy didn't attack Monet...
Because he is wondering if he should ask her to join the crew .
Old 2012-10-02, 12:23   Link #7
itachi-san314

dang, law got trounced. it is weird seeing him hatless =) i'm really looking forward to the smoker vergo battle!
Old 2012-10-02, 12:24   Link #8
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Because he is wondering if he should ask her to join the crew .
I would love that, but didn't the author somewhere stated he would avoid adding careless to many crew members, especially one that can fly constantly in a sailing adventure series.

The chance's are slim and I feel she could be a potential victim of the bird man
Old 2012-10-02, 12:39   Link #9
marvelB

Wow, I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen an explosion of "OMG, Law with no hatz!!!" around here.

Anyways, cool chapter. We pretty much DO have confirmation that Monet has a snow-based power, and the fact that Vergo kicked Law's ass further cements just how powerful Doflamingo's top officers are. But now the long-awaited VA vs. VA duel is about to begin.....

As far as the ministory goes, I'm almost 100% certain that G5 is gonna destroy Coribou's ship with little effort.
Old 2012-10-02, 13:01   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

Anyways, cool chapter. We pretty much DO have confirmation that Monet has a snow-based power, and the fact that Vergo kicked Law's ass further cements just how powerful Doflamingo's top officers are. But now the long-awaited VA vs. VA duel is about to begin.....
Vergo does have Law's heart...
Old 2012-10-02, 13:05   Link #11
marvelB

^Yeah, but even putting that aside, he still smacked him around even without squeezing the heart (using armor haki, rokushiki, etc).
Old 2012-10-02, 13:57   Link #12
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Wow, I'm kinda surprised that I haven't seen an explosion of "OMG, Law with no hatz!!!" around here.
Thank goodness for that. There's too much Law love around here anyway. I'm not particularly fond of the guy.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to see the fight between Smoker and Vergo, because I finally want to see what else Smoker can do with his devil fruit besides ... becomming smoke. From what we've seen so far of his powers, it would be pretty save to assume that he has the weakest logia abilities of the series. I mean even Caribou showed more creative use and just overall effectiveness with his slime powers. I hope Smoker can prove us wrong.
Old 2012-10-02, 15:00   Link #13
Rainbowman

If Monet's snow powers are from a Devil Fruit, I'd say it might be paramecium. Only saying this out of speculation of course. Predictions for next week: Law recovers from that last K.O. to help Smoker against Vergo.
Old 2012-10-02, 15:00   Link #14
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Wow, it was actually really weird for me to see Law without his hat. Guess it's time no to see how strong Smoker has gotten in a somewhat fairer fight without him losing his heart or the lack of air. Thouuuugh... I do think this fight will actually become Smoker & Law vs Vergo eventually.
Old 2012-10-02, 15:45   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Guess it's time no to see how strong Smoker has gotten in a somewhat fairer fight without him losing his heart or the lack of air.

Except that Smoker STILL lacks his heart, remember? It's just that CC hasn't done anything to it so far (and may the good lord help Smokey if Caesar suddenly decides to inject some hazardous chemicals into that heart at some point).....
Old 2012-10-02, 16:04   Link #16
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
^Yeah, but even putting that aside, he still smacked him around even without squeezing the heart (using armor haki, rokushiki, etc).
By the time we saw Law and Vergo, the fight was already in progress (evident in how Law was damaged). For all we know, Vergo could have been squeezing Law's heart prior to what we witnessed, which led to Law being at a disadvantage and getting overwhelmed subsequently. Don't forget that Law used counter shock which did noticeable harm to Vergo. By all accounts, Vergo doesn't really strike me as being vastly superior to Law, and by extension Smoker as well.
Old 2012-10-02, 16:10   Link #17
Mateus

So I wonder if the ones who had been referring to Vergo in chapters past as a fake or an imposter are just in denial or if he really is a clone/fake.
Old 2012-10-02, 16:13   Link #18
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
So I wonder if the ones who had been referring to Vergo in chapters past as a fake or an imposter are just in denial or if he really is a clone/fake.
They're just in denial. Vergo is simply an asshole that tricked many people. But that's to be expected since he works for Doflamingo.
Old 2012-10-02, 16:38   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
By the time we saw Law and Vergo, the fight was already in progress (evident in how Law was damaged). For all we know, Vergo could have been squeezing Law's heart prior to what we witnessed, which led to Law being at a disadvantage and getting overwhelmed subsequently. Don't forget that Law used counter shock which did noticeable harm to Vergo. By all accounts, Vergo doesn't really strike me as being vastly superior to Law, and by extension Smoker as well.

While you certainly make a good point here, I just sort of felt that Vergo was the superior one here precisely BECAUSE he withstood Law's Counter Shock. That, and he was fighting on fairly equal ground with Sanji prior to breaking his leg, so I'm definitely feeling his strength is the real deal here (I know you pointed out before that Sanji most likely wasn't at his best against Vergo either due to the injuries he sustained when Nami was swapped with him, but still).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Hm, what if Smoker decides to finish off Law first before going against Vergo?

That wouldn't really make any sense. Mainly because Smoker (and even us, the audience) still doesn't have a clear idea of Law's motives at PH in the first place. He was able to crack down on Crocodile at Alabasta because Croc straight-up confessed his plans to him. The same can't be said for Law, who's even being targeted by his own former crew now.....

Simply put, Smoker just can't go around arresting/killing them warlords left and right without good reason, y'know.
Old 2012-10-02, 16:47   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Simply put, Smoker just can't go around arresting/killing them warlords left and right without good reason, y'know.
Based on Smoker's past experiences with the shichibukai, they would have to be unconscious for him to pull off any arresting/killing .

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion