North Koreans Reportedly Turn to Cannibalism Due to 'Hidden Famine':

"News out of North Korean in notorious unreliable, but food shortages in the
country have gotten so bad and people so desperate that there are now reports
of men murdering their own children for food. These startling reports were
compiled by independent reporters commissioned by Asia Press, a independent
press agency focusing on Asia, and were published by the Sunday Times."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/north-koreans-...122128957.html
I bet this is a propagandist exaggeration from Washington, what father would kill his own kids? On the other hand, the kids of other families no doubt are fair game for the next hot pot.
Old 2013-01-28, 17:26   Link #26002
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
I bet this is a propagandist exaggeration from Washington, what father would kill his own kids? On the other hand, the kids of other families no doubt are fair game for the next hot pot.
a account of a siege of one of smaller city-state during Warring State Period in Ancient China had parents exchanging their children as food. Since parent can't bear to kill their own children.

Kind of doubt it myself since if things got that bad the citizens would probably open the door to the invaders.
Old 2013-01-28, 17:36   Link #26003
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Considering it's an UK news site.... conspiracy much?
Old 2013-01-28, 17:37   Link #26004
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Considering it's an UK news site.... conspiracy much?
UK...US...whats the difference?
Old 2013-01-28, 17:38   Link #26005
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Taliban's destruction of the centuries-old Buddhas in Afghanistan.

I recall this incident as I was in college at the time in a Model UN class. One of the other students was from Afghanistan and I assume came to the United States following the Soviet Invasion in 1980. THis incident prevoked this comment form him: "I guess I can never go home again". I imagine he'd been hoping to return at some point after the Soviets left, maybe after finishing college. But then that happened.

It wasn't too long after this that the United States invaded the country for other reasons.
Old 2013-01-28, 18:07   Link #26006
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Two boys die in truck accident in Tampines, Singapore

Quote:
Two boys were killed in a horrific accident involving a cement truck in Tampines Monday afternoon.

The boys were found dead on the spot at the junction of Tampines Avenue 9 and Tampines Street 45, a Singapore Civil Defence Force spokesperson told Yahoo! Singapore.

SCDF received a call about the incident at 5:43pm.

According to media reports citing the police, the boys were brothers aged 7 and 10 and the younger one was wearing a Tampines North Primary School uniform.

Also, police reportedly arrested the truck's driver, a 56-year-old Singaporean man, at the scene.

Meanwhile, gruesome photos believed to be of the dead boys have been spreading online, sparking concern among some netizens.

In one of the photos, a body of a boy beside a badly dented bicycle lies on the road.

In a tweet, blogger Kinmun Lee, otherwise known as mrbrown, said, "Please, don't spread those photos of the two siblings who died at the Tampines bicycle accident anymore. Their parents might see it."
While driving those super big vehicles around had been quite common, there is one comment that really makes me feel that there are more morons around :

Quote:
Originally Posted by V from Commentary
Instead of spending money on making Singapore look like another Disney World maybe it would be an idea to start to build designated bycycle lanes in much the same way as you see it in some European countries. That would make more sense than building something like Garden at The Bay etc.
Secondly, maybe they should make a greater effort in actually teaching people in Singapore to drive and not just to be able to make a vehicle move.
Finally, too many people use their phone, tablet etc when driving. A drivers driving license should simply be taken away for life when caught using a phone or tablet when driving. It is incredible that a nation of people can have so little understanding about simple safety measures in traffic.
Most people on the roads in Singapore are selfish and quite honestly not very skilled in the art of driving and behaving in traffic.
Why that is so I can't say.
It is tragic that two children and brothers at that can get killed in this manner. I would assume that children in schools in Singapore are instructed in how to get along in traffic on bicycles but the bottomline is that moving around on bicycles without designated bicycle lanes is dangerous business but strangely enough the safety of people in Singapore does not appear to be a major concern while building useless symbols of Singaporean economical might seems to be of higher importance.
How about barring bicycles outside of designated cycling areas altogether? I had been a police witness once when some jerk rode on a bicycle over a kid's leg and tried to quickly get away, but was stopped by a few parents picking up their kids from a nearby primary school.

There isn't enough space for all vehicles, and having bicycles on walking and driving lanes are making the cyclist themselves roadkills. Use your damn legs, WALK.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-28, 18:11   Link #26007
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Taliban's destruction of the centuries-old Buddhas in Afghanistan.

I recall this incident as I was in college at the time in a Model UN class. One of the other students was from Afghanistan and I assume came to the United States following the Soviet Invasion in 1980. THis incident prevoked this comment form him: "I guess I can never go home again". I imagine he'd been hoping to return at some point after the Soviets left, maybe after finishing college. But then that happened.

It wasn't too long after this that the United States invaded the country for other reasons.
Ironically, those statues were considered of little interest (or beauty), and were practically unheard of until after the Taliban destroyed them.

Now they'll always be known as the "statues the Taliban blew up".
Old 2013-01-28, 18:38   Link #26008
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

See:

True or not, the fact remains that the North Koreans look shyte with their nuclear program when that amount of money spent on the nuclear program for a single year could feed the population with bred animals and harvested crops for 3 years. At some point, someone will have to beat the shit out of the fat bastards eating up everything like termites on wood in this country.

One of the comments at the bottom of the article sums up what I feel about this: Do the world a favor and eat your fat little leader.
Old 2013-01-28, 18:51   Link #26009
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

In a normal country, food shortages would result in the leader being deposed. Alas North Korea is hardly "normal".
Old 2013-01-28, 19:02   Link #26010
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

See:

North Korea needs to take care of its own people before worrying about how they're gonna wipe others out.

I don't know if this story is true, but I know that most of the country other than Pyongyang has no electricity, and that alone is sick...

Also how tourists cannot travel outside of Pyongyang, and can only travel with a guide, like they're children or dogs. They're obviously hiding something terrible that goes on beyond the capital's borders.
Old 2013-01-28, 19:56   Link #26011
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe someone thinks they can start a war, lose, and then get the country rebuilt and feed by the winning party.
Old 2013-01-28, 20:21   Link #26012
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
I doubt this is any type of exaggeration. Considering numbers of orphans exist in North there has to be cases of kids getting kidnapped and eaten.
Old 2013-01-28, 20:23   Link #26013
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I doubt this is any type of exaggeration. Considering numbers of orphans exist in North there has to be cases of kids getting kidnapped and eaten.
that maybe but if it got so bad that a parent feels the need to kill their own children to survive. I would think rebelling against the regime would be a better choice. There might be choices worst then killing and eating your own children but death by a gun shot to your own head isn't it.
Old 2013-01-28, 21:46   Link #26014
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that maybe but if it got so bad that a parent feels the need to kill their own children to survive. I would think rebelling against the regime would be a better choice. There might be choices worst then killing and eating your own children but death by a gun shot to your own head isn't it.
It is interesting to note that many North Koreans know that South is richer, so I believe North Korea's propaganda is based on fear of America rather than others having poorer living condition. Maybe it is similar to what Japanese propaganda about America during World War II.
Old 2013-01-28, 21:55   Link #26015
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It has been almost 60 years since the end of the fghting of the Korean War. Been a long time since the American were coming across the border into North Korea.
Old 2013-01-28, 21:59   Link #26016
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
It has been almost 60 years since the end of the fghting of the Korean War. Been a long time since the American were coming across the border into North Korea.
Yeah, but they are still right at the border.
Old 2013-01-28, 23:11   Link #26017
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Problem is North Korea is like East Europeans countries used to be and how Cuba is right now. Let me explain with a little tale. My cousin went to Cuba to visit other doctors, out of her kindness she decided to throw a little party for her fellow colleagues, she bought some food and drinks in a cuban market, nothing special. That night during the reuinion the police raided the house and questioned my cousins about the illegal *facepalm* party. In North Korea I think if you even think too hard about rebellion (do not show an idiot happy face) your neighbors will call the government (no doubt in hope to get a little bread) to question you. Also, North Korea is built like hell, the defenses are NOT to prevent an enemy from invading it, they are built to prevent anyone from getting out, because "Who would want to invade hell?" (bonus points to anyone that can tell from what DC comic is that quote").
Old 2013-01-28, 23:16   Link #26018
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Senate approves $50.5 billion in long-delayed Superstorm Sandy aid
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90R10620130129
Quote:
All the opposing lawmakers were Republicans. But nine Republicans joined Democrats in voting yes to narrowly cross the 60-vote threshold required for passage.

The Senate also defeated a Republican amendment that sought to offset the Sandy aid with cuts to discretionary spending spread over the next nine years.

The vote was delayed last week as Senate leaders wrangled over new rules aimed at limiting procedural roadblocks known as filibusters.
Old 2013-01-29, 04:06   Link #26019
Kudryavka

Quote:
But they still hate Americans and have a bunch of anti-American stuff up everywhere. And South Korea, and Japan (but all Korean government hates Japan so thats not surprising at all).
Old 2013-01-29, 05:28   Link #26020
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
It is interesting to note that many North Koreans know that South is richer, so I believe North Korea's propaganda is based on fear of America rather than others having poorer living condition. Maybe it is similar to what Japanese propaganda about America during World War II.
And as it happened with Japan during WWII, perhaps the only way to break the effects of that propaganda still remains to annihilate the most radical elements before letting the normal folks (i.e. civilians) be the judge by themselves when American and SK forces arrive in the area.

@ogon_bat: Kosovo became quite some hell before NATO decided to go in and break Slobodan Milosevic's spine. Still, it was never an excuse not to go in.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international