AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-01-10, 20:17   Link #3201
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
And i thought you guys talked about Messi winning the third Ballon d'Or (the highest reward from FIFA).

Japan got three awards among the 7 (there might be more but i'm not sure), for the best female player (Homare Sawa), best female team coach (Norio Sasaki ) and FIFA Fair Play award (Japan Football Association)

On Henry, it's simply class on his side. Just a slap on the face toward those media outlets claiming he can no longer be fit in English PL
Messi is going to win that award for like 5years at least. The last time he didn't deserve it, but he still won. In 2010 the award should have gone Sneijder as he led his team to CL final and to World Cup final. So even when he probably could have lost, he won in it pretty much overwhelming. Because of that I can't see him losing that award this year as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
out of contention to win the league yes, but they're 1 point out of the top 4. given their start, that's amazing.

as for messi winning, meh. take messi in a vacuum and ronaldo in a vacuum, and ronaldo wins every time. its just that messi has the spanish national side backing him up. you put ronaldo in any above average side, and he will make them much better. you put messi in any above average side, and he'll he just be an above average player. see: argentina.
Well I won't go over a debate whether who is the better player, but I have to agree Messi benefits tremendously from the Barcelona system.
Old 2012-01-11, 17:58   Link #3202
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
i knew this thread would have got revived when Henry decided to re-join Arsenal XD

But is it a bit too late? Arsenal is pretty much out of the contention in english PL...maybe championship league...but only 6 weeks..

anyway, it's good to see great player comes back to english PL..and if Scholes can play, then Henry will definitely have no problem (just to clear I don't hate Scholes at all before all Man U fans come to slap me XD)
As much as I love my team, it would be a near-miracle for the Gunners to win the Champions League this year. Even if Sagna, Wilshire and Santos return to form, it would be extremely tough. The FA and Carling Cup are much more realistic targets; anything to end the trophy drought.

That's why Wenger has to continue bolstering the squad. I doubt he will though.
Old 2012-01-22, 13:29   Link #3203
Elo the Blue

Another loss to Man U, eight days to go before the transfer window closes and no significant moves look to be on the horizon, fighting for fourth. This is unbelievable.
Old 2012-02-04, 09:45   Link #3204
solomon

Well looks like i'll have to do more digging, one of the sites I watched football streaming on is down cause it was seized by the Feds! (It's cause they were showing US NFL on there)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 11:02   Link #3205
Azuma Denton
~AD~

And Henry just proved it that he still has the technique...
Yesterday's goals is classic...

Major 3 points for Arsenal as Chelsea lost against Everton...
But still, Arsenal need consistency..
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 16:47   Link #3206
justavisitor

as a somewhat casual fan of Man u, it's good to see that they beat Liverpool XD

But the handshake controversy leaves bad taste to both sides...(I don't think both sides need another reason to hate each other)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 17:27   Link #3207
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
as a somewhat casual fan of Man u, it's good to see that they beat Liverpool XD

But the handshake controversy leaves bad taste to both sides...(I don't think both sides need another reason to hate each other)
Yeah, that was just unnecessary. I mean, it's just one handshake, you can hate the guy but at least keep professional and shake a guy's hand for just two seconds. Well, congrats to MU though, they played better than Liverpool and deserves their win. They really dominates the match, and Liverpool doesn't play as good especially Spearing...if only Lucas isn't injured, he's so much better.

Yesterday was a really entertaining matchday even after the big match, with Everton giant killing over Chelsea (it's more Chelsea playing horribly though). There's also Tottenham's marvelous devastation of Newcastle, Adebayor was simply amazing with 4 assists and one goal. Redknapp's signing of Saha turns to be gold with him scoring 2 goals already, he's much better there than to be lambasted in the English media as England's manager. Arsenal's comeback victory is also sweet with King Henry scoring the winning goal, I know many Arsenal fans wishes he could stay for much longer.

Oh, and one interesting thing: Aaaron Ramsey = Serial Killer?

Aaron Ramsey scores V Man Utd (01/05/11) - Bin Laden (02/05/11)
Aaron Ramsey scores V Tottenham (02/10/11) - Steve Jobs (05/10/11)
Aaron Ramsey scores V Marseille (19/10/11) - Col. Gadaffi (20/10/11)
Aaron Ramsey scores V Sunderland (11/2/12)- Whitney Houston (11/2/12)

At least he'll hit another dictator if this pattern continues, talk about a killer instinct...
Old 2012-02-12, 20:00   Link #3208
monsta666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post

At least he'll hit another dictator if this pattern continues, talk about a killer instinct...
LOL great spot that. I suppose you should show that to the Syrian president and see what he makes of this trend!
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 04:33   Link #3209
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Yeah, that was just unnecessary. I mean, it's just one handshake, you can hate the guy but at least keep professional and shake a guy's hand for just two seconds. Well, congrats to MU though, they played better than Liverpool and deserves their win. They really dominates the match, and Liverpool doesn't play as good especially Spearing...if only Lucas isn't injured, he's so much better.

Yesterday was a really entertaining matchday even after the big match, with Everton giant killing over Chelsea (it's more Chelsea playing horribly though). There's also Tottenham's marvelous devastation of Newcastle, Adebayor was simply amazing with 4 assists and one goal. Redknapp's signing of Saha turns to be gold with him scoring 2 goals already, he's much better there than to be lambasted in the English media as England's manager. Arsenal's comeback victory is also sweet with King Henry scoring the winning goal, I know many Arsenal fans wishes he could stay for much longer.

Nice fun fact there...
Old 2012-02-18, 14:30   Link #3210
Elo the Blue

Another campaign, another sobering week. Even if the club holds on and qualifies for the Champions League, I won't be surprised at all if RVP leaves. It wouldn't make sense to stick around waiting for Ox and Wilshere to improve and a back four that probably won't be significantly upgraded.
Old 2012-02-19, 00:18   Link #3211
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Random thoughts for football last week.

Juventus - Once again Andrea Pirlo shows his class. He is a poor fit for Max Allegri's preferred 4-3-1-2. But with all the industrious midfielders creating space for him at Juventus, he becomes unstoppable.

Milan - This year Milan have a poor record against top teams. Until beating Udinese (with a poor performance) last week they were winless against top 5 in Serie A. Before the match I predicted an Arsenal win. Milan was superb but Arsenal made it easy for them. I guess Arsenal is simply not a top team any more.

RVP - His departure in summer looks increasingly certain. I think only Real Madrid and PSG can afford him though. If RM takes him, Higuain will likely be available for a discount.

Inter - This team's season will likely come to an end next week when they face Marseille in CL and lose 5-0 or something. Their chance of top 3 finish is close to zero. Even a Europa spot looks unlikely. Wesley Sneijder will surely move on in the summer, probably to one of Chelsea or Man Utd.

Bayern Munich - What's going on in Bayern? Their squad is excellent on paper. Having acquired a good goalkeeper and largely sorted out the defence, I rated them as the third best team in Europe (after Barca and RM). Most expected them to walk away with the Bundesliga title at the beginning of the season. But now they are third in the league.

Chelsea - I think it's clear that the squad is well-past its peak. They are in the middle of a rebuild process and some poor run of results should be expected. There are a lot of talks about AVB but sacking him would be a terrible mistake. He knows how to build a team.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 18:29   Link #3212
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post

Milan - This year Milan have a poor record against top teams. Until beating Udinese (with a poor performance) last week they were winless against top 5 in Serie A. Before the match I predicted an Arsenal win. Milan was superb but Arsenal made it easy for them. I guess Arsenal is simply not a top team any more.
Milan's changed in recent years to a far more physical approach. They're good at brute forcing smaller teams down the center lane. Arsenal's failure to expose them on the flanks was rather odd. As for Milan I think their favorites to win the serie A but I don't see them win the CL.

Quote:
RVP - His departure in summer looks increasingly certain. I think only Real Madrid and PSG can afford him though. If RM takes him, Higuain will likely be available for a discount.
RVP's only real prize in his carreer so far is the Europa League with Feyenoord many years ago. If he leaves, it will be for a team that is likely to win prizes, I'm fairly certain he is prepared to compromise on wages. That pretty much leaves the big 4 who can afford to go all the way in the CL: Bayern, Barca, Man U or RM.

Quote:
Inter - This team's season will likely come to an end next week when they face Marseille in CL and lose 5-0 or something. Their chance of top 3 finish is close to zero. Even a Europa spot looks unlikely. Wesley Sneijder will surely move on in the summer, probably to one of Chelsea or Man Utd.
Sneijder and his missus love the party scene way too much to end up in Manchester nor will Man U be prepared to match his current wages. My bet is on a London or Moscow team. His career though would benefit from less temptations.

Quote:
Bayern Munich - What's going on in Bayern? Their squad is excellent on paper. Having acquired a good goalkeeper and largely sorted out the defence, I rated them as the third best team in Europe (after Barca and RM). Most expected them to walk away with the Bundesliga title at the beginning of the season. But now they are third in the league.
Dortmund and Mönchengladbach are not/no longer in the European Leagues while Bayern is playing on two fronts. Still, wouldn't be surprised if they knick the title in the end.

Last edited by Bri; 2012-02-19 at 18:40.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 01:07   Link #3213
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
RVP's only real prize in his carreer so far is the Europa League with Feyenoord many years ago. If he leaves, it will be for a team that is likely to win prizes, I'm fairly certain he is prepared to compromise on wages. That pretty much leaves the big 4
RVP? Most likely to Man City or Barcelona. The former just have too much money to spend and have been dealing with Asernal. The later needs a striker at his caliber.

On the other hand, i think the EPL has been sliding in recent years. Still waiting on Chelsea result, but all EPL top teams: Asernal, MU, Totenham, Man City for past 4-5 years have been a mismatch against other European CL contenders. MU seems to perform the best, but mostly due to their comfortable fixtures. I think the last time they won against the like of Bayern Munich, Real marid or Barcelona was like 5 years ago? When they still have Ronaldo, Tevez and younger Scholes or Giggs. Couldn't win against Basel and Benfica this season does not help their youngster confidence

With the return of Juventus and AC Millan, and at this rate, a league gonna have to give up their 4th CL spot. Germany, maybe, but they have been winning fairly well in national team level. If EPL only have 3 CL spot left, the EPL gonna turn into chaos in a few year to come. City gonna face Fairplay Rule. MU will soon face Ferguson's retirement and debts. Totenham's Harry will go for England job. While Asernal,Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle have problems on their owns
Old 2012-02-20, 02:58   Link #3214
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Nah, even in most optimistic scenarios, Italy will take at least 4 to 7 years to take the 4th CL spot back. While their CL results are respectable (won in 07 and 10), their overall performance in Europe has been awful, especially in the Europa League. Their UEFA coefficients are miles behind the top 3. This year English teams underperform in CL, but with strong showing in last 4 years, EPL should remain top next year at least.

Milan's victory over Arsenal is hardly representative of Italy's state of football. Arsenal's horrible showing made Milan look better than they actually are. Juventus has a strong domestic season but is yet to be tested in Europe. The team is very good from front to back, but only Pirlo, Chiellini, and Buffon are their only truly world class players. Pirlo's age may not allow him to perform well for much longer. IMO they need a better striker to make a mark in Europe. Matri is good but not one you can depend on at highest level. Inter is in dire need of rebuilding the team and will not be a force in Europe again for 3 years at least. The other Italian teams simply don't have the resource to do much.

One only needs to look at the 3/4-empty stadiums and poor pitch conditions in Serie A to conclude that the Italian football is not in good shape. IMO Italy really needs to host a major tournament to upgrade the infrastructure and increase matchday attendance.
Old 2012-02-20, 18:33   Link #3215
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

as much as i love to Defend AVB and what he is trying to do at Chelsea. i do see the other side. all the managers taht have come in for us have bought players but, they have also got the best out of the players that we currently have.

i would like nothing more that to see Kalou, Maloua, Mikel and Bosingwa leave. but, that will take time and in the meantime we still have matches to play, cups to challenge and we need to work with these players rather than just concentrate on who we can get and who we can get rid off.

i still support AVB and can see what he is trying to do. give us sucess and dominance long term. but, this is the now and we need to win against Napoli to have any chance of a good season. that win can drive us in all compatations. i've given up on the league, we still need a 4th place finish but FA cup and A good run in the Champ league is still on the table.

AVB needs to start working with the players he has insted of trying to get others. thats the real problem at the club. the players can see that he does not want them, so of course they're not gonna follow him.
Old 2012-02-21, 00:24   Link #3216
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

As mentioned before,my brother is Chelsea fan, so i have soft-spot for them. My prediction for tonight match against Napoli..... my guess would be 2-1 in Napoli favour. Which should be a decent result for Chelsea, having a goal away, and home advantage in return leg.

Or they simply just strike back from recent bad form/result and win 0-3.
Old 2012-02-21, 10:08   Link #3217
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:

It is painful every year that seeing how Arsenal seems to lost every key player...
RvP is the most applauded player in the team. He rise from the invicible team till today... He still hang on the belief that Arsenal someday will rise from ash and be strong again...

Guess he is out of patience...
Well, i will be out of patience when i am the one scoring goals while the other forward such as the (past) young English prodigy seems only declining in his skill...

Not to mention Ramsey and Arteta seems can not fill the hole of Nasri and Fabregas...
Old 2012-02-21, 10:16   Link #3218
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
On the other hand, i think the EPL has been sliding in recent years. Still waiting on Chelsea result, but all EPL top teams: Asernal, MU, Totenham, Man City for past 4-5 years have been a mismatch against other European CL contenders.
I'm not sure. EPL has become more competitive on the whole with City and the Spurs also playing for CL spots. That will effect the effort that can be put in European campaigns. Arsenal can't or won't compete on wages so it's reduced to a feeder team. If RVP wants to end his career with some silverware he'll jump to Barca, City is more a place for player to secure their retirement funds. Chelsea's wage bill is loaded with over the hill players. Both teams have plundered youth academies across Europe in recent years but I haven't been impressed with the return they got out of it lately. It will be a while before those two are serious contenders for the title again.

Also in the CL, Barca and Real have reached reached levels of dominance not seen since the pre-bosman-arrest era. Doesn't say much about the relative quality of the different leagues. At the moment I think the Bundesliga looks really good in terms of the quality of play. Serie A is still far away from the level of its glory days in the 80s and 90s but Juve and Napoli's rise and the decline of the both Milan team has brought more excitement.

Napoli-Chealsea will be interesting, curious what AVB will come up with against Mazzarri's unusual 3-4-3 formation.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 17:24   Link #3219
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Napoli 3 - 1 Chelsea FT.

More or less what everyone predicted before the game. Chelsea were unable to contain the Napoli strikers with their defence. The attacks are largely ineffective. Only Mata seems to know how to play.
Old 2012-02-22, 00:40   Link #3220
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
It is painful every year that seeing how Arsenal seems to lost every key player...
RvP is the most applauded player in the team. He rise from the invicible team till today... He still hang on the belief that Arsenal someday will rise from ash and be strong again...

Guess he is out of patience...
Well, i will be out of patience when i am the one scoring goals while the other forward such as the (past) young English prodigy seems only declining in his skill...

Not to mention Ramsey and Arteta seems can not fill the hole of Nasri and Fabregas...
As a fan, I've felt the team was cursed at times with how hard injuries have hit the past several campaigns. But the loss of key players to injury wouldn't be as bad if there were quality reserves in waiting.

I'm hoping Walcott is sold in the summer because I don't see him getting significantly better as a player.

Ramsey and Arteta were never going to replace those two. Aaron will get better over time, but he's not in Fabregas or Nasri's class(he may never be). And Arteta is obviously a declining player who's never really been more than solid. Even with Wilshere, the club needed a young, talented play-maker to offset the loss of two great ones. It should have been Mata. Instead, we got Arteta and Benayoun on loan.

Tags
football, soccer