MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Gotham (Batman prequel TV series)

Watch Bruce Wayne's Parents Die In The First Full-Length Gotham Trailer

Looks interesting. Your opinion?
Old 2014-05-06, 09:36   Link #2
Nerroth
NePoi!

I wonder if they will have their own version of Ra's al Ghul (and/or Talia) in this series at some point.
Old 2014-05-06, 11:02   Link #3
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Looks pretty good
Old 2014-05-06, 11:22   Link #4
Destined_Fate

I'm gonna pass as I want Tim Drake and Cassandra Cain to make it to the big screen.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 11:38   Link #5
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Abandon all hope!!! It's FOX!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 11:38   Link #6
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Before so many resets to the DC continuum, the mother of the killer of bruce wayne's parents ends up becoming his nanny, I wonder if they will include that.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 23:29   Link #7
Frontier

The trailer actually looked very good, and I'm interested in seeing what the show has to offer and how it will develop a Gotham, Bruce, and Gordon long before Batman ever showed up. It at least looks like a more well-written look at a hero's founding years than Smallville .

I do have to wonder about the longevity of the series, and how much it plans to cover before Bruce becomes Batman. It's gotten a full-series order, so it'll also be interesting to see what other characters from the Batman mythos pop up.

Richard Kind as the mayor of Gotham City I found to be far more hilarious than I think it's intended to be .
Old 2014-09-23, 11:20   Link #8
james0246

Not bad at all, but I had one are two major issues.

Within 5 minutes of introducing the character, Gotham has managed to destroy one of the best DC storylines of the past 20 years. I am of course referring to Renee Montoya's "Coming Out" storyline. While I never expected Gotham to follow for rote previous storylines (it would be impossible to do with the odd mixture of past, present and future stories that are all being shoved into one series), and I am not against Montoya already being out and proud (which presents interesting storylines all by itself), but the complete bungling of the reveal and the subsequent tying of her to a pointless love triangle between Gordan and Kean was not only a disservice to the characters it was just badly done. Beyond the lack of chemistry between the characters (then again, Erin Richards as Barbara Kean was just groan worthy in general), what made Montoya's revelation all the more powerful was the fact that she was defined as a person and a detective first before it was ever revealed directly that she was a lesbian. Again, I am all for the show embracing it's homosexual characters, but Montoya's characterization in now firmly rooted in a cheap and uninspired love triangle that will taint all her interactions with Gordan for the foreseeable future. Note, I am not necessarily upset that Montoya has a previous relationship with Kean (though the trope of professional rivals in love and work is also a little worn), rather it is introduction of that relationship.

Additionally, there is very little suspense specifically because all of these characters (save for Jada Picket Smith's delightfully over-the-top Fish Mooney) become Batman villains, and since Batman is only a child, none of them can be "killed" off...though a strong case has been made for Carmine Falcone falling this season (I imagine we will be introduced to a Carmine Falcone Jr. sometime in the next few episodes, just to keep the name alive for the future ). But, it goes beyond even Batman's Rogue Gallery, the city itself cannot be saved otherwise Batman will not come into existence, which create a very strange disconnect between the what we are seeing and what we already expect to happen. Consequentially, beyond seeing the rogues rise to power, we are not given a whole lot to really tie us to the series. Then again, maybe this is not the "the darkest timeline" universe and Gordan will solve everything leaving Wayne to become a functional member of society...

Beyond that, the visual presentations of the various characters was spot-on, but there was an unneeded bombardment of easter eggs and set-ups for future characters that, in general, simply did not work.

That being said, the chemistry between Donal Logue's Bullock and Ben McKenzie's Gordan is quite good, even if it does not truly solidify until the final 15 minutes. And, David Mazouz's young Bruce Wayne and Sean Pertwee's cantankerous Alfred Pennyworth are a delight in every scene they appear.

And, overall, the visual presentation of the cityscape was quite good, and the set design for the GPD offices and Mooney's bar were wonderful.

In the end, this was a good start, but there is much room for improvement and still a lingering mistrust as to the series goals.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 12:17   Link #9
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
But, it goes beyond even Batman's Rogue Gallery, the city itself cannot be saved otherwise Batman will not come into existence, which create a very strange disconnect between the what we are seeing and what we already expect to happen. Consequentially, beyond seeing the rogues rise to power, we are not given a whole lot to really tie us to the series. Then again, maybe this is not the "the darkest timeline" universe and Gordan will solve everything leaving Wayne to become a functional member of society...
Could be done a la Batman: Year One, wich, at least for the animated adaptation was more about Gordon comming to terms with his past demons and he not being able to make a big difference in a corrupt city than in him being able to fully clean it up.
Old 2014-09-23, 13:19   Link #10
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Alfred was boss. haha. casting was pretty spot on for the main characters. i don't know too much about the secondary cast though, since i haven't read the comics. the "no one can die" thing was something i immediately thought of when the show was first revealed. its good and bad, because it won't be giving people stress ulcers, but it also removes a lot of the tension. they might be going original storyline though. not sure if they said they weren't doing that.

anywho, was the comedian the guy casted as Flash?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 17:43   Link #11
Wandering Soul

It was a decent start to me. I like how the episode was spent building on Gordon and bullock's teamwork but it didn't really handle other characters that well. I get that it is only the first episode but other characters seemed like the just popped up then left just as quickly. Not to mention that Fish Mooney's dialogue was just so corny and cringe worthy. However I did like Gordon starting to build a relationship with Bruce and I like how we are going to see Penguin slowly rise through to the top.

It does sorta sap some of the tension that we know Batman villains aren't going to die just yet and I am somewhat on the fence about Alfred's personalty being rough around the edges and more gruff. I can see why they are doing it but I guess I am just more used to Alfred having a more formal personalty. Not a great start but it a lot has potential.
Old 2014-09-24, 10:54   Link #12
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Could be done a la Batman: Year One, wich, at least for the animated adaptation was more about Gordon comming to terms with his past demons and he not being able to make a big difference in a corrupt city than in him being able to fully clean it up.
Could Gotham become a television series like The Wire? I don't know, but if it attempts such a path, then my respect for the show will grow greatly.
Old 2014-09-25, 15:35   Link #13
Sargad

Hope it becomes a better "out of costume" series than Birds of Prey. It's been one of the most anticipated TV shows this season.
Sargad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 20:22   Link #14
GDB

Watching the re-air now. So far, the main gripe is what I expected it to be. They brought in all these big name characters, but they're all 10-20 years older than Bruce Wayne, when usually they came off as relatively the same age. Even Catwoman looks to be 5+ years older.

Then you got Harvey apparently as a veteran inspector, despite him always appearing to be 10-20 years younger than Gordon. Also, did Gordon just call his wife "Barbara"?

Not sure how many episodes I'll be able to give this.

*edit*

Oh hey, Poison Ivy is a normal age compared to how she's portrayed compared to Batman!

Oh, guess "Barbara" is just his fiance, not wife. Wonder if she's supposed to be Katherine Kane, now.

Last edited by GDB; 2014-09-26 at 20:35.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-26, 20:39   Link #15
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
B] Also, did Gordon just call his wife "Barbara"?[/B]

Not sure how many episodes I'll be able to give this.

*edit*

Oh hey, Poison Ivy is a normal age compared to how she's portrayed compared to Batman!

Oh, guess "Barbara" is just his fiance, not wife. Wonder if she's supposed to be Katherine Kane, now.
Yes, Gordon's first wife it's Barbara Kean Gordon, Sarah Gordon it's the second (at least in the old continuity), in the Nu52, there's only one wife, Barbara.
Old 2014-10-02, 05:13   Link #16
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, so far watching 2nd episode. It's a pretty promising show, IMO.

Also, I only pegged on this - note the cars and such that they're using. The tech and the stuff they have and the aesthetics suggest they're trying to go for a 90s visual feel, trying to hint that this phase of Gotham is set just after Desert Storm. I kinda like it.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 08:27   Link #17
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Well, so far watching 2nd episode. It's a pretty promising show, IMO.

Also, I only pegged on this - note the cars and such that they're using. The tech and the stuff they have and the aesthetics suggest they're trying to go for a 90s visual feel, trying to hint that this phase of Gotham is set just after Desert Storm. I kinda like it.
I noticed that too. The CRT monitors, the clunky cars, the old style light bars on top of police cars.

So far I'm really liking this show.

Endless "Details" Soul
Old 2014-10-02, 10:03   Link #18
GDB

I hadn't noticed. I thought they were just playing up the "poor" angle for the city, since outside of Wayne Manor and Gordon's condo (seriously, wtf, is he rich as hell or something?), we've only seen the slums.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 10:47   Link #19
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I hadn't noticed. I thought they were just playing up the "poor" angle for the city, since outside of Wayne Manor and Gordon's condo (seriously, wtf, is he rich as hell or something?), we've only seen the slums.
The Condo is Kean's I think (she is some sort of art dealer or gallery owner), but yeah it is hard to place just when exactly the show is supposed to take place. If it is part of the Nolan universe, then early 90s seems like a safe bet. If it is not, though, then maybe it is "modern" and the set design is just set to shabby-chic .
Old 2014-10-02, 11:12   Link #20
ronin myael
lost ronin

So far so good. I like the look and general feel of the show, it's dark but it maintains its comic book roots. I was a bit skeptical about the casting for Jim Gordon at first but after seeing him in the role, I think he's a nice fit. Like most Batman fans, I am a bit bummed that Bruce Wayne is just a 12-year-old kid in this show but the actor who portrays him is actually pretty good. I actually enjoy watching the boy slowly become into the Batman that we all know. I'm curious as to how the writers could keep the viewers interested even though the popular characters are still just kids and with only Jim Gordon to carry it. I hope the series lasts though. I am kind of getting attached to it.