Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-04, 23:55   Link #61
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If there was any doubt they know their audience, it was dispelled when Shinichi said "That's too bad" when he found out there were others males around.
That was a key moment for me too. That's when I knew this show was very in-touch with the modern otaku, and also would have enough edge to not play the male lead as simply an all-around nice guy.
Old 2013-10-05, 00:01   Link #62
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Are you sure he wasn't an all around nice guy? what about the painfully audiance jerking "I'll accept you" speech he gave to the maid? And didn't the MAL page say something about how he is going to need to fight the japanese goverment? He seems pretty protaganist-kun to me.
Old 2013-10-05, 00:06   Link #63
sikvod00

Triple R's point was that he's more than just a nice guy. He's a modern otaku male who realizes the lucky predicament he's fallen into (i.e., the master of a moe, half-elf maid), and he was disappointed that there was another male around to "ruin" it.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 00:15   Link #64
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZabiLegacy View Post
Are you sure he wasn't an all around nice guy?
All-around nice guys are nice to everybody, not only the opposite sex. I mean, just contrast him with Banri from Golden Time. That's an all-around nice guy.

Shinichi wasn't downright rude to Lizard-Guy, but he was certainly short with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Triple R's point was that he's more than just a nice guy. He's a modern otaku male who realizes the lucky predicament he's fallen into (i.e., the master of a moe, half-elf maid), and he was disappointed that there was another male around to "ruin" it.
Right.
Old 2013-10-05, 00:22   Link #65
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Isn't a modern otaku male who knows how to say three words to a female a little bit unrealistic?

I mean as a whole I liked the show more then anything else since Kill La Kill aired, but something tells me that once we get into the second half of the season, where more good shows are waiting i'll see no reason to continue it. It's just too pandering.

I know it's alot to expect of a harem show that it uses it's clever premise as a way of taking the piss out of itself, but for something so meta there wasn't a hint of irony.
Old 2013-10-05, 00:36   Link #66
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Isn't a modern otaku male who knows how to say three words to a female a little bit unrealistic?

I mean as a whole I liked the show more then anything else since Kill La Kill aired, but something tells me that once we get into the second half of the season, where more good shows are waiting i'll see no reason to continue it. It's just too pandering.

I know it's alot to expect of a harem show that it uses it's clever premise as a way of taking the piss out of itself, but for something so meta there wasn't a hint of irony.
Have you seen Watamote? That strikes me as pretty close to what you're looking for.

Anyway, I'm getting the vibe that Outbreak Company is to otakudom what Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World was to geekdom in the west. In other words, very accurate and very sincere with a little bit of self-abasing humor but also celebrating the subculture itself.
Old 2013-10-05, 00:52   Link #67
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Eh Watamote would be a much worse version of that. See it was a lampoon on otaku culture from the perspective of a comedy.

I'm talking about a deconstruction. It's almost a deconstruction. The moe harem genre is a sexual empowerment fantasy for otakus that relies heavily on objectifying the girls. The proper way to deconstruct the genre is to add realism. they are SORTA doing that. He is collecting a harem for a harem's sake. He is legitimately an otaku pariah who is overjoyed to have a harem. But it keeps just a step away in that it glorifies him.

I will however grant that this is coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of the genre. Maybe to the genre's fans it comes off as a scott pilgrim-esque celebration of harem moeblob culture?
Old 2013-10-05, 01:07   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Eh Watamote would be a much worse version of that. See it was a lampoon on otaku culture from the perspective of a comedy.

I'm talking about a deconstruction. It's almost a deconstruction. The moe harem genre is a sexual empowerment fantasy for otakus that relies heavily on objectifying the girls. The proper way to deconstruct the genre is to add realism.
And here I recommend School Days.

No, seriously, whatever criticisms you've read about that show, if you approach it as a harem deconstruction, it works pretty well, imo.

But anyway, yeah, Outbreak Company is clearly for fans of modern otaku culture. You'll probably get the odd bit of lampooning/parodying here or there, but I expect it to be mainly celebratory. Think Ore no Imouto.
Old 2013-10-05, 01:15   Link #69
HandofFate

Concept of the story is bit weird. But there hasn't been many swords & magic in a fantasy land setting often lately, so could be nice for a fix if one was hungry for it.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 01:20   Link #70
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Not imouto either. The whole genre has been tripping over itself to be more like imouto for about a year or two now. I don't think this will be any sort of trend setter by a long shot.
Old 2013-10-05, 01:26   Link #71
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Not imouto either. The whole genre has been tripping over itself to be more like imouto for about a year or two now. I don't think this will be any sort of trend setter by a long shot.
That's not my point. Ore no Imouto celebrates otaku culture a lot. It might not be the main thing the show is about, but it's there.

Likewise, I think Outbreak Company will be mostly celebratory.
Old 2013-10-05, 01:31   Link #72
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Fair point
Old 2013-10-05, 02:20   Link #73
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Wow fascinating and hilarious concept. Surprisingly restrained in the fanservice department as well. Animation looks great too. Can't wait for more!
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 02:45   Link #74
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I'm a sucker for these types of anime where modern day world journeys to midevil magic fantasy world stuff so I'll watch this one.

Hmm. Is it just me or this season of anime all very similar. Occupational jobs mixed with magic and adventure? This anime along with that hero anime that just aired seems to be trying to recreate the Hataraku Maou fad or something?
Old 2013-10-05, 04:33   Link #75
ookamigirl

At first glance I was about to drop it.
Halfway through it started to look more promising.
If I put all the fan service aside, it's still good.
Think I'm gonna watch it just to see how weird it'll get.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 06:46   Link #76
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

The comedy sat well with me and the first minutes were important - being the hook - in getting my interest. The MC's somewhat over-the-top reactions are quite amusing. Didn't look to be throwing fanservice around, which is a surprise given similar premises. Definitely a keeper for me, if they keep this up.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 07:45   Link #77
erdii

it was a lot fun ı didn't expect much fromt his anime but it was best thing happened today a laughed a lot
Old 2013-10-05, 08:13   Link #78
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

*Mid point of the episode--*

WAIT WAIT WAIT STOP !

His favourite Anime is "Rental Madoka" ?! Is that like Rental Magica, but with a Madoka ?!?!

EDIT:

Quote:
So what does that make all of us here?

You can try to draw lines all you want but essentially that's what we all are.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 08:13   Link #79
Seiryuu

This definitely looks like it has potential to be quite entertaining. You often see guys drool over hot girls or think out loud about the virtues of wet shirts, short skirts, and various chest sizes and shapes, but it's actually not terribly common to see a guy who sees something he likes and shouts out loud with such joy and bluntness as "A LITTLE GIRL, HELL YEAAAAAAH!!!"(rough translation, but no worse than any other I know of).
One thing though, I sincerely hope the childhood friend shows up again at some point. Not because I want her to be a love interest, but because after such a blunt rejection, acting like his true feeling were a silly joke, I want her to see him become a great man and feel like kicking herself. Almost any time I see a girl give such an insensitive rejection to a guy who truly likes her, I want to see this; I want to rub her nose in the fact that the guy she dumped has become everything she ever wanted, especially if she somehow gets to realize that she now means no more to him than he had to her back then. Guy or girl, anyone who hurts a character like that deserves to have it come back to bite them hard.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 08:25   Link #80
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Wasn't expecting much from it, yet I found myself laughing throughout the episode. All those over-the-top reactions were simply great, the part where they were talking about Minori's cup size and Miusel silently takes care of his nosebleed had me in tears.

I'm typically not one for this kind of silly concepts in a show, but I'm loving this!
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, romantic comedy, shounen