AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-11-09, 17:27   Link #1
Ferp

Anime With Mature Themes

I just finished watching the Space Battleship 2199 OVA, and it left me wanting more. I really appreciated the underlying themes of the show. I've never really been able to get into the sappy high-school anime that seems to be all that is ever released nowadays. So what I'm asking for is suggestions for an anime with mature themes that touch on real problems, I like to be left thinking after I enjoy a show. I'll give some examples so you have a clearer picture in what I'm asking for.

SBY2199 touches on racism and the alien race has a very fascist and authoritarian rule and approach to things. The relationship between characters was well developed and made the romantic aspects within the show feel much more natural.

The show Monster is another great example. The way the director portrayed themes of elitism and bigotry are outstanding.

So based off what I have typed here I would appreciate any recommendations. I have seen very few anime, so you can suggest just about anything. Thank you in advance.
Ferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 17:35   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Are you ok with series with many eps, like 40-50 or more?

If so you might give Kemono no Souja Erin or the two seasons of Saiunkoku Monogatari (sp?). Both of themtake a while to begin the story and move at a slow pace, but they deal with mature themes, though in a more reflective kinda way.... Neither is everyone's taste to be sure, though.
Old 2013-11-09, 17:47   Link #3
Ferp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Are you ok with series with many eps, like 40-50 or more?

If so you might give Kemono no Souja Erin or the two seasons of Saiunkoku Monogatari (sp?). Both of themtake a while to begin the story and move at a slow pace, but they deal with mature themes, though in a more reflective kinda way.... Neither is everyone's taste to be sure, though.
As long as it isn't the length of shows like One Piece and Naruto. Anything under 150 episodes is good.

I'll check out both suggestions, thank you.
Ferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 17:57   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've posted a number of times on this subject, so rather than repeat myself, I'll just point to this rather extended posting: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...30#post4818030

This post is largely a title dump: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...00#post3536100

If you hover your mouse over the ladies in my signature, you'll see a number of suggestions.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-11-09 at 18:09.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 22:39   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'm a fan of Space Battleship Yamato. In fact, the old 70's version Starblazers was my first anime.

There are many such anime, ranging from action shows, to slice of life.

Crest of the Stars
is another space opera

Both versions of Fullmetal Alchemist (Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood).

Bunny Drop which deals with parenthood.

Madoka Magica which initially looks like a fun glittery magical girl series, before asking questions about the true nature of selfishness, selflessness, and what it means to be a hero. Not to mention the meta physics of sin, justice, and redemption.

Penguindrum which is difficult to describe, but is a response of sort to Aum in particular and terrorism in general.

Neon Genesis Evagelion of course... while filled with teen angst, it also deals with issues of agency, free will, and the resulting problem of evil.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mature