AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-05-12, 16:07   Link #381
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

LOL this months gameinformer said something funny about the Mass effect 2 figurines,

"put shepard and tail in romantic poses and you can put Wrex on your dresser and pretend he's cooler than Wrex"
Old 2011-05-12, 17:25   Link #382
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
Bioware should've redone Kotor II and made KoTOR III to complete the series and match the upcoming Revan novel. That would've been perfect.
Slightly off-topic, but I personally think KOTORII has the more interesting story overall. It features one of the most complex and morally ambiguous jedi characters to ever grace a Star Wars story that's usually defined in black and white terms: Kreia. KOTOR however, is the better game.

Her line comparing Revan and the Exile is one of the best in the game. "In Revan, I see the heart of the Force. In you, I see the death of the Force." (something like that) Kreia's views are past the scope of George Lucas' intentions.

If only Bioware were the ones who built the game... but Obsidian arguably has the more interesting writers. All of Bioware's talk about gameplay and "the player's choice" as a feature in all their RPG titles (from ME to DA) does not hold a candle to how Obsidian really implements that feature in Alpha Protocol... which is actually not that good of a game. Unfortunately, games by Obsidian aren't as polished as your typical Bioware fare, usually ending up feeling lacking or unfinished.

With that comparison made, it'll be interesting to see how siginificant player choice actually weighs in ME3, considering that one is able to import all the decisions that have been made from ME and ME2.

Last edited by kujoe; 2011-05-12 at 21:43.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 18:22   Link #383
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The only problem with KotoR II was it's unfinished state. The broken quests and hurried ending did not do the story of the game justice. I agree that KotoR II far surpasses KotoR I when it comes to the story, and it would have been the better game entirely if Obsidian had been allowed to finish it.

On ME3... I hope they are better. With ME1, Bioware had left an open end of the category 'just in case.' If the game sold well, they'd be able to make a sequel. If the game sold terrible, they could leave it there and have a reasonably solid ending. With ME2, they already started working on ME3 before it was even released, which means they had a lot more opportunities to incorporate choices during the development. Whether they actually did so remains to be seen, but it is not unlikely.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 05:49   Link #384
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The only problem with KotoR II was it's unfinished state. The broken quests and hurried ending did not do the story of the game justice. I agree that KotoR II far surpasses KotoR I when it comes to the story, and it would have been the better game entirely if Obsidian had been allowed to finish it.
The story was superb, as well as the philosophy about the Force, and I could listen to Kreia's magnificent voice for hours.

Though when playing it for the first time, I didn't feel that it was cut or unfinished.

If for first KoTOR the story was like typical evil beats good with a badass character, for KoTOR 2 it was much darker and mystical. I mean compare KoTOR I locations ( just some caves, buildings) to KoTOR II abandoned Korriban, Dantoine ruins and Freedon Nadd's Tomb or Malachor V. Much creepier from my point of view.

And ME 1 also beats ME 2 in this kind of competition. In ME 1 we had real diversity of locations, I won't name them because there are too many, whereas in ME 2 the only significant places I remember are Collector's ship/base and the geth station and maybe the tropics during Jacob's quest. Everything else was just warehouses,offices and open fields with many covers.

But as ME 3 promises diverse battlefields with less obvious covers and with multi-height levels of combat, I am quite positive about the fighting process.
Old 2011-05-13, 06:40   Link #385
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
And ME 1 also beats ME 2 in this kind of competition. In ME 1 we had real diversity of locations, I won't name them because there are too many, whereas in ME 2 the only significant places I remember are Collector's ship/base and the geth station and maybe the tropics during Jacob's quest. Everything else was just warehouses,offices and open fields with many covers.
I don't know about "diversity of locations" being ME1's strong point. Sure there were many planets, but most of them were poorly made open fields like ones you'd see in an amateur map editor, not to mention that many of the facilities on those planets were copypasted versions of 1 of 5 types of interior design space (Cave type, Standard Two Way Science Space, a Two Story Habitat Space, a prison space, and a cargo vessel space) with the only difference being the way the crates were arranged. In ME1, the only places with significant differences in layout were the primary mission planets (Eden Prime, Virmire, Ilos, Feros, Noveria and Therum) and the Citadel.

ME2 meanwhile had all the maps you visit be unique in layout - no two maps including the sidequests in ME2 were the same in terms of object placement, terrain layout, elevation etc. In terms of locational diversity, ME2 still wins over ME1 objectively speaking.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 08:27   Link #386
Aqua Knight

Well, okay I kinda agree but still ME 2 locations felt kinda empty for me. Or it's just that I got used to them as I finished both games in 2 weeks.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:40   Link #387
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

About the Atlas mech's size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioware: Brennon Holmes
Just as a clarification... The Atlas isn't 50 feet tall... that might just be a misunderstanding. *Fifteen* feet tall, is more in the ballpark. It's still rather intimidatingly large, but no so large that you can't see anything but its foot when you're standing next to it.
So it's not mobile suit sized then At 4 meters though, it'll be more like a Knightmare or an Armored Trooper.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:16   Link #388
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Shepard piloting White glint would be a fucking DREAM
Old 2011-05-13, 16:59   Link #389
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
About the Atlas mech's size...

So it's not mobile suit sized then At 4 meters though, it'll be more like a Knightmare or an Armored Trooper.
LANCELOT!!!!! If the Atlas can do a spinning kick I may just nerdgasm.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 01:45   Link #390
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

PCGamer - Tali returns as a full time squadmade in Mass Effect 3, Wrex probably doesn't

For those still doubting Tali's presence in ME3.

Old 2011-05-14, 05:02   Link #391
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'd rather have ship-to-ship spacebattles than mecha-combat myself...
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 18:12   Link #392
Key Board
Carbon

http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23ME3

I seriously hope that's not why the game was delayed

If not, I'll have to break something
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 19:29   Link #393
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
People really should have expected that considering the precedent set by Dragon Age 2.

And no, it's not why the game was delayed. The delay is probably not actually a delay, but Bioware convincing EA not to force them to release before the 2011 holiday season.

Way too many games have been released in buggy/unfinished states due to the publisher forcing a holiday season release.
Old 2011-05-15, 20:07   Link #394
Skane
Anime Snark

I may have to claw my brains out if they make a Male Shephard/Garrus romance.

What.
Old 2011-05-15, 21:20   Link #395
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

What.
It would hardly be graphic. It's not like humans and turians can actually do anything sexual together anyway. Totally incompatible parts!

Edit: in before MORE LIKE A BROMANCE.
Old 2011-05-15, 23:04   Link #396
Key Board
Carbon

Forget Garrus, what about Wrex?

Anyway, the scenes between male Shepard and Kaidan always seemed awkward to me, because I think it was designed for Ashley in mind

but if Kaidan was gay for male shep that would explain a few things

and I think that Jack is the female counterpart romance option for both genders
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2011-05-16, 00:48   Link #397
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I actually wanted to like Jack more than I did. Her character I loved, but her lack of a direct-damage biotic power left me not using her significantly until I had her generate the shield during the suicide mission.

What, she's a super-powered biotic and doesn't even have Warp or Singularity? ffffffffffffffffff MUST HAVE WARP.

I hope the squad-member Vanguards in ME3 actually have and use Charge. It's the power that makes Vanguards rule; without it, they're lame.

This Cerberus schizophrenia is really getting on my nerves. All it would have taken was some slightly different writing of the renegade dialogues, or maybe a BoS-style exploding collar or something, because srsly, my Shepard was not "begrudgingly" working with Cerberus!
Old 2011-05-16, 03:34   Link #398
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

What.
I may have to consider playing a male Shepard to romance Garrus with!

Kaidan was supposed to be a male romance option in the first game anyway, I want it in m3. And I want to romance Jack with my fem Shep as well! Kudos to Bioware if they go da2 style in this regard!
Old 2011-05-16, 13:22   Link #399
Key Board
Carbon

http://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson/s...54686367404032
Old 2011-05-16, 14:47   Link #400
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Yay no more QQing..atleast about fairness.... *sits and waits for dissatasfied people about romance in me3*

Tags
effect, games, mass