AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-02, 22:35   Link #201
Lost Cause

Stockpiling ammunition

While I admit 300 rounds isn't a lot you have to remember I do have children in the house!! That and a handgun is NOT going to be my primary weapon in this sort of situation!
Since I sold off my AR15 and have two Lee-Enfields in .303 as well as a Moisin Nagant carbine with 1,000 rounds of it's 7.62x54R bullets (the stuff is dirt CHEAP!) I'm pretty well off as either rifle can reach far beyond an AR AND go thru cover like a knife thru butter! Plus either gives me the chance to get another AR type rifle if it comes to that.
Also both 7.62R and .303 are rather nasty rounds too!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 21:07   Link #202
ZeKeR
Superbad

oh gaiz....

how effective is HP rounds against kevlar?

i only tested .45ACP and 9mm, all HP, against a pig carcass and i tell ya... wound it makes hurt.

like i said in a convo with LC, i am never EVER gonna go near a .500S&W ever again.
im fine with a desert eagle any day, but NEVER that gun again.

also, whats a half clip again?
Old 2011-03-04, 00:56   Link #203
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
oh gaiz....

how effective is HP rounds against kevlar?
Depends on whether it is ceramic-backed or not. If it isn't, a 9mm can easily penetrate halfway and get stuck at 50m.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 09:21   Link #204
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Depends on whether it is ceramic-backed or not. If it isn't, a 9mm can easily penetrate halfway and get stuck at 50m.
ceramic? i can has bolter for this.
Old 2011-03-08, 20:12   Link #205
Lost Cause

It's my understanding from reading articles that by their very design, that hollowpoints (that is what you are reffering to right ZeKeR?) will not defeat kevlar.
However the 9mm FMJ has a reputation as a penetrator and was proven superior to .45 FMJ in Korea during the winter fighting.
Also it's said that 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser is a very nasty penetrator, so much so that the Chinese police in Shanghi had to order special made vest just for those bullets!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-03-08, 21:11   Link #206
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
It's my understanding from reading articles that by their very design, that hollowpoints (that is what you are reffering to right ZeKeR?) will not defeat kevlar.
However the 9mm FMJ has a reputation as a penetrator and was proven superior to .45 FMJ in Korea during the winter fighting.
Also it's said that 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser is a very nasty penetrator, so much so that the Chinese police in Shanghi had to order special made vest just for those bullets!
in my lulz mode research, you're right....

probably because of the thin clothing the soldiers wore back then, not the new synthetic weave thats standardized nao.

i lol'd at the Shanghai Police force for being cautious tho... but its right to be so....

inb4 dragon vest is standard issue nao.

also, what round was the 98K rifle carrying during WWII?
Old 2011-03-08, 21:14   Link #207
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

The 98k fired 7mm.
Old 2011-03-08, 23:04   Link #208
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
The 98k fired 7mm.
7mm? wait... what?
Old 2011-03-09, 02:04   Link #209
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
The 98k fired 7mm.
It's actually the 7.92x57mm or as it's more commonly referred to, the 8mm Mauser round.

The '7mm' Mauser round was used in the original Mauser Gewehrs during the Spanish-American war but it is still a popular hunting cartridge these days.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-09, 02:48   Link #210
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We've been cleaning out deep storage in the apartment basement of our house where my deceased mother-in-law piled boxes and piles of crap. Long story short, found a gun I thought she'd pawned off to support her nasty gambling habit (not that she didn't sell a lot of other family heirlooms -_- ).

Smith&Wesson .38spcl Airweight (5 round revolver snub nose). Concealable weapon circa mid-20th C. style detective film noir thing. Just priced it... worth quite a bit more than I would have imagined. Just glad I found the damned thing as it was buried in a box full of ancient records and papers (under the jaguar cage behind the tiger in the back of the room with the broken light near the Hyperspace Bypass papers).

Old 2011-03-09, 03:13   Link #211
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We've been cleaning out deep storage in the apartment basement of our house where my deceased mother-in-law piled boxes and piles of crap. Long story short, found a gun I thought she'd pawned off to support her nasty gambling habit (not that she didn't sell a lot of other family heirlooms -_- ).

Smith&Wesson .38spcl Airweight (5 round revolver snub nose). Concealable weapon circa mid-20th C. style detective film noir thing. Just priced it... worth quite a bit more than I would have imagined. Just glad I found the damned thing as it was buried in a box full of ancient records and papers (under the jaguar cage behind the tiger in the back of the room with the broken light near the Hyperspace Bypass papers).

does this include a holster?

im waiting for a crescent loader for this.

the 7mm Kurz is powerful?
Old 2011-03-09, 03:16   Link #212
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
does this include a holster?
I did find the original holster (not in the same box) but "grandma" had stored it improperly or let it get wet at some point and it was a moldy mess. Frankly, I'd prefer to find something in ballistic nylon anyway if I were going to carry it. But I already have a Glock 30 I've carried for ages so this little puppy will probably just be put in my storage or maybe next to my 'zombie apocalypse' shotgun. It fits my wife's hand better than mine, so we're going to test fire it this weekend - she's thinking it might be better for her than the Glock 19 she carries. She's quite small (149cm, 43kg) so the firepower/handling equation is different for her than me (180cm, 90kg).

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-03-09 at 03:29.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-09, 03:36   Link #213
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
ceramic? i can has bolter for this.
Bolter? I know most kevlar vests are ceramic-backed, but targetboards aren't.

I fired the P226 during my army days at kevlar boards and sometimes the bullets get stuck.

Quote:
Also it's said that 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser is a very nasty penetrator, so much so that the Chinese police in Shanghai had to order special made vest just for those bullets!
The Takorev rounds are not really bullets, they are more towards slugs because of their insane kinetic energy for a pistol weapon.

I wouldn't want to face one - it is suicide.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-03-09, 07:24   Link #214
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Bolter? I know most kevlar vests are ceramic-backed, but targetboards aren't.

I fired the P226 during my army days at kevlar boards and sometimes the bullets get stuck.

The Takorev rounds are not really bullets, they are more towards slugs because of their insane kinetic energy for a pistol weapon.

I wouldn't want to face one - it is suicide.
well my uncle and some of my friends call high performance rounds to be a 'bolt' IMO. .50AE, .454 and .500S&W will hurt... BAD.

thats what Russia does best... KILLING.

oh and i lol'd at the Mauser C96.....

THERES NO FREAKIN MAGAZINE AND IT ACTS LIKE A RIFLE WITH THE DAMN STRIPPER CLIP!
Old 2011-03-09, 20:43   Link #215
Lost Cause

Vexx: I have the stainless steel version of your Smith and Wesson and I do carry mine in the summer months. I had both a Glock 17 and 30 both are gone now, I traded them off on something else. In any event I feel perfectly well protected with my little 5 shooter!
ZeKeR: You do know that the old C'96 was available with a detachable shoulder stick that doubled as a holster right? The long barreled Lugers had a similar stock/holster arrangement.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-03-09, 22:46   Link #216
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Vexx: I have the stainless steel version of your Smith and Wesson and I do carry mine in the summer months. I had both a Glock 17 and 30 both are gone now, I traded them off on something else. In any event I feel perfectly well protected with my little 5 shooter!
ZeKeR: You do know that the old C'96 was available with a detachable shoulder stick that doubled as a holster right? The long barreled Lugers had a similar stock/holster arrangement.
WAT.

i shot it without the things. its really annoying at first since putting a high stripper clip is hard.
Old 2011-03-10, 11:52   Link #217
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Very cool Vex. I have a .38spcl Colt Revolver that I got when my Grandfather passed away that he got in WW2 after he was shot down. I wonder if there's any cool history on your S&W?
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-10, 15:02   Link #218
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Very cool Vex. I have a .38spcl Colt Revolver that I got when my Grandfather passed away that he got in WW2 after he was shot down. I wonder if there's any cool history on your S&W?
Not that I'm aware of... my father-in-law bought it for my mother-in-law when he opened a mom'n'pop hamburger stand and family restaurant back in the 70s. She made the bank deposits and he thought it would help. My wife says it spent most of the time in the bottom of mom's purse and was mostly useful as a weight for a purse-smack

I do have a 1930s issue .30 caliber luger that my wife's uncle picked up in Italy during WW2 (he was in the Japanese-American 442nd along with two other uncles) and later gave to my father-in-law (who served in the Japan Occupation Forces after the war as a translator/MP). No one wants to stand near me when I fire that for some reason (e.g. "christ, that's old! Is it safe?").
Old 2011-03-10, 20:25   Link #219
Lost Cause

^More likely it's LOUD even with ear protection on!
Lugers are COOL! I had an uncle who served under Patton during the Battle of the Bulge who brought home both a Walther P-38 and a PPK, his sons have them now.

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2011-03-11, 02:21   Link #220
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

And I can't believe that my relatives sold the shirasaya my granddad got from a IJN officer to a collector after his death for money to pay for the funeral. What a bunch of ingrates.

Tags
firearms, guns