AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-06, 10:08   Link #1001
Rowan

Nothing blatant. I saw someone earlier made reference to a specific character that shows up in book 9 that had a cameo in the start of the movie, but I think I missed it.

And nope, no series recap in the opening. There's a few flashbacks at key
points in the movie itself, but this is definitely not a move for people who are just now getting an intro to the series. The opening spends its time showng the brigade members finding ways to warm up in the club room when they've only got limited heater space.
Old 2010-02-06, 10:13   Link #1002
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post

And on the subject of reviews, let's face it, anyone that's willing to line up for hours to watch a movie will come out reasonably pleased, much less these hardcore fans.

Actually... that's when you tend to get your harshest reactions, if the movie has major problems with it. People are waiting in line for hours to see it, so if anything at all disappoints them, that added wait will add to the irritation felt due to the disappointment.

A lot of the best and most comedic scathing reviews I've ever read was for movies that people waited hours to see.

If Haruhi is getting rave reviews from people who waited in the cold for hours to see the movie, then that probably means it has no major problems with it. That it is a solid success, at the very least.

So, that's great news.
Old 2010-02-06, 11:58   Link #1003
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

So, that's great news.
Cheers to the success of the movie!

(Referencing an earlier post, if they lined up for hours to see another Endless Eight troll, they'll probably tear the whole theater and KyoAni down )

Minori posted about the cast discussion and the making of the movie in general. As she has mentioned before in an interview, voicing Yuki is her toughest role to date (though arguably her most famous role), and voicing alt!Yuki this time round was 'special'.

And she thanked the fans for their (our?) support. Awesome.

(There's a picture of the cast up on her blog, but I don't know how to post pictures here so go ahead and check it out)
Old 2010-02-06, 12:57   Link #1004
brocko

Feck!

That photo of the cast in the cinema with all the fans has gotten me pretty damn excited with anticipation now! >< I was pretty neutral with the wait at first but now i'm starting to feel impatient. Gah! Shouldn't have read this thread lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2010-02-06, 13:02   Link #1005
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Actually... that's when you tend to get your harshest reactions, if the movie has major problems with it. People are waiting in line for hours to see it, so if anything at all disappoints them, that added wait will add to the irritation felt due to the disappointment.

A lot of the best and most comedic scathing reviews I've ever read was for movies that people waited hours to see.

If Haruhi is getting rave reviews from people who waited in the cold for hours to see the movie, then that probably means it has no major problems with it. That it is a solid success, at the very least.

So, that's great news.
True, but that only applies if there were major problems with it.* The fact of the matter is that the people who lined up are fans, so as long as the movie meets their expectations, they'll consider it the best thing since sliced bread. Sure, their expectations were probably high, but what I'm trying to say is that they'll practically throw praises at the movie as long as it wasn't a train wreck.

As far as reviews from the general movie-going crowd is concerned, I'm sure that they'll mostly be positive (every movie gets bad reviews, regardless of the quality), but I doubt that most of them would be "OMG EXPLOSION DAVID HASSELHOFF SEX!"

* - Yes, I realize that you already said this in your post. I'm just repeating it for emphasis.

tl;dr: Do I think the movie is good? Sure (even though I haven't watched it). Do I think this because of the fan reviews? Nope.
Old 2010-02-06, 15:26   Link #1006
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
So, It's out?
Lucky japs
Old 2010-02-06, 15:35   Link #1007
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
True, but that only applies if there were major problems with it.* The fact of the matter is that the people who lined up are fans, so as long as the movie meets their expectations, they'll consider it the best thing since sliced bread. Sure, their expectations were probably high, but what I'm trying to say is that they'll practically throw praises at the movie as long as it wasn't a train wreck.

As far as reviews from the general movie-going crowd is concerned, I'm sure that they'll mostly be positive (every movie gets bad reviews, regardless of the quality), but I doubt that most of them would be "OMG EXPLOSION DAVID HASSELHOFF SEX!"

* - Yes, I realize that you already said this in your post. I'm just repeating it for emphasis.

tl;dr: Do I think the movie is good? Sure (even though I haven't watched it). Do I think this because of the fan reviews? Nope.
Well, you have to take fan reviews, of any sort, with a grain of salt. I agree with you there.

A good fan review simply means, in all likelihood, no major problems with it. At least... there's no major problems with it from the perspective of a fan of the franchise.

How Haruhi's movie is received by a more general audience is more up in the air, because general audiences aren't necessarily looking for the same elements that fan audiences are, an obvious example being how faithful the movie is to the novel source material. A general audience might care diddly squat about that.

But, the Haruhi fandom in Japan is large enough (and passionate enough, judging by that story of the one guy who bought 30 tickets, lol) that if they're happy with the movie then it's going to be a solid success, at least. Certainly might not be the best or most successful animated movie ever (though it will be for many of the Haruhi fans, of course), but it's at least a solid installment for the franchise.

A nice comeback from E8, in my view.
Old 2010-02-06, 15:37   Link #1008
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
There needs to be screenshots. jk
When the DVD comes out, we'll be able to mail order it, right?
Old 2010-02-06, 16:46   Link #1009
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Alright to be honest now that we're in day 2 (3?) of the movie being out in Asia I'm actually surprised (pleasantly so I might add) that there hasn't been more constant news and rabid raving about the film beyond the expected die hard fanbase in Japan. I'm guessing the days of the franchise being omnipresent on the western internet front are long over (as in the only information and reactions to the movie that I've seen are what I've gone out of my way to look for rather than the franchise finding me.....whether I'm interested in hearing about it or not at the moment of contact) and now it really is just a popular franchise like any other. One for fans who are looking for a fun passtime/entry in it.

You know what, I'm very cool with this and it actually makes me more interested in checking out and hopefully enjoying the flick during what could very well be a slow summer period. Haruhi without legendary and transcendental hype in the western sphere of fandom.....how quaint.
Old 2010-02-06, 16:48   Link #1010
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

in other words...Its no longer popular so now I like it?
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-02-06, 16:58   Link #1011
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

^ Nice one.

Someone on /a/ claims she'll do a camrip in one hour. Cannot confirm if this is a troll or not, sounds relatively legit though. Can also not confirm if she won't get caught but it's good news regardless.
Old 2010-02-06, 16:59   Link #1012
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
in other words...Its no longer popular so now I like it?
"popular franchise like any other"="no longer popular".....got it.

I'm sorry, but will you people read what is actually being written instead of jumping to the first conclusion that comes to mind after reading what must have been a single sentence of my post. Less arguments and misunderstandings are sure to happen that way and it'll make the forum experience that much more enjoyable for everybody. Thanks.
Old 2010-02-06, 17:05   Link #1013
TadloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
^ Nice one.

Someone on /a/ claims she'll do a camrip in one hour. Cannot confirm if this is a troll or not, sounds relatively legit though. Can also not confirm if she won't get caught but it's good news regardless.
Hopefully Scurry-tan won't disappoint us.
Old 2010-02-06, 17:15   Link #1014
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
Definitely true.
But to be realistic, given the fact that the source material is already good, then as long as it didn't turn to to be a total train wreck, you sort of already know that its going to be on the other end of the spectrum i.e. very awsome.

I'm still bitter about not being able to find a cheap plane ticket
If I did manage to find one for under £400, I would've had no hesitation to go there.

禁則事項です
Old 2010-02-06, 17:21   Link #1015
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Alright to be honest now that we're in day 2 (3?) of the movie being out in Asia I'm actually surprised (pleasantly so I might add) that there hasn't been more constant news and rabid raving about the film beyond the expected die hard fanbase in Japan. I'm guessing the days of the franchise being omnipresent on the western internet front are long over (as in the only information and reactions to the movie that I've seen are what I've gone out of my way to look for rather than the franchise finding me.....whether I'm interested in hearing about it or not at the moment of contact) and now it really is just a popular franchise like any other. One for fans who are looking for a fun passtime/entry in it.
Why would there be rabid raving about the film by people who have no way of seeing it?
Old 2010-02-06, 17:30   Link #1016
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Why would there be rabid raving about the film by people who have no way of seeing it?
I was going to say something like this, but you did it first. Thanks, though.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-02-06 at 18:20.
Old 2010-02-06, 17:35   Link #1017
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I was going to say something like this, but you did it first.

Good on you, man.
Well it's just common sense, you don't see many Evangelion or Macross fans raving about Evangelion 2.2 (really, really looking forward to this) and The False Diva respectively do you? Though I'm sure if the triangle had been resolved in The False Diva that would be another story but that hypothetical situation has no bearing on the quality of said film.
Old 2010-02-06, 17:51   Link #1018
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
I've already seen quite a few reviews (moreso written retrospectives actually) from the English speaking crowd who went to see it and so far they've been fairly reasonable if not downright restrained. You'd be surprised how many English speakers live in Japan who apparently managed to get tickets and have blogged and/or written up their impressions on internet.

Spoiler for what I've read about it so far and trying to read into it a little more:

Anyway I still wouldn't take any of this with any degree of seriousness (at least I won't), but if I'm reading into correctly and it's an accurate snapshot of the experience then it sounds like the movie has more of what I liked from the first season of the franchise albeit mixed in with some of the stuff that I doubt will leave too much of an impression on me going by past experience. I think it's fair to say though that the franchise needs and in fact ought to strike a balance between it's infamous moe elements (you can't abandon the core fanbase and expect to make a profit) and the sort of stuff I'm interested in from it.

Incidentally what is with all of this faux-kudos being thrown around with the "good one" stuff? I realize that some people think I shouldn't be allowed or encouraged to post in this forum, but it's kind of silly just the same. For posterities sake I'm not the one bringing the hostility here and it's certainly not going to drive me away from exercising my ability to post here if that is what people happen to be thinking. In fact about the only thing it's going to do is fail to improve my opinion of the Haruhi fanbase's character/behaviour on these forums. Why not avoid all of that ill will though and start talking straight towards people instead of acting like they aren't here and able to read the slights against them. You know, common courtesy and manners, that sort of thing.

If someone actually starts to unfairly bash the movie or says things that they know are false about it without a disclaimer then I think that's when the gloves ought to come off. Sound fair folks?

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-02-06 at 18:07.
Old 2010-02-06, 18:21   Link #1019
Bri

Quote:
I'm guessing the days of the franchise being omnipresent on the western internet front are long over (as in the only information and reactions to the movie that I've seen are what I've gone out of my way to look for rather than the franchise finding me.....
[...]
You know what, I'm very cool with this and it actually makes me more interested in checking out and hopefully enjoying the flick during what could very well be a slow summer period. Haruhi without legendary and transcendental hype in the western sphere of fandom.....how quaint.
Even when the movie eventually get's here things won't get as crazy as in the 2006-2009 period. A lot of anticipation back then was whether the first series would ever get a sequel. Not to mention all the trolling and speculation going on in the mean time. (Haruhi really sort of disappeared at the height of her fame.)

A more moderate response won't hurt the franchise I'm sure, if anything it will allow people who got turned off by the hype to get aquainted with the series. I believe enough in the quality of Haruhi as an anime that it will add to the long evity of the anime.

Quote:
Well it's just common sense, you don't see many Evangelion or Macross fans raving about Evangelion 2.2 (really, really looking forward to this) and The False Diva respectively do you? Though I'm sure if the triangle had been resolved in The False Diva that would be another story but that hypothetical situation has no bearing on the quality of said film.
I am really looking forward to Eva 2.2 as well but in fairness I did not notice that much of a hype around the release of Eva 1.0 The transition time between the cinematic release in Japan till the release of the DVD cooled things down. This goes double for Macross as it's pretty much a rehash of the TV series. I really want to see what it looks like but I don't give a damn about the resolution of the triangle. If anything the obnoxious behaviour of the shippers soured my apprecation of the lead characters.

What is positive though is that Frontier, even after mostly average reviews at best, did really well in the cinema, it got an extended period of airing and it got shown in more cinemas. If the Haruhi movie is a big succes it may get the same treatment.
Old 2010-02-06, 18:23   Link #1020
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
*snip*
Your first post about the movie in this thread was basically you saying how it was probably going to suck, because that's exactly what you expected out of the series, as I recall.

You're going to have to expect people to respond in an annoyed manner if you come here saying that.

In any case, I meant no real offense by my last post... I just wanted to say that I'm not surprised there isn't more raving here when no one here's been able to see it.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen