AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-22, 21:43   Link #261
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't think this makes any sense at all, lol. Just by recklessly charging in there, you're already drawing attention.
But that isn't the question. The way to avoid that kind of attention is to stay outside, to which I agree. The question is if you see two people, one of whom is brandishing a sword, which are you going to consider more of a threat? In my opinion waving a sword around says, "If you turn your back on me, I'll cut you with this."
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 22:11   Link #262
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
But that isn't the question. The way to avoid that kind of attention is to stay outside, to which I agree. The question is if you see two people, one of whom is brandishing a sword, which are you going to consider more of a threat? In my opinion waving a sword around says, "If you turn your back on me, I'll cut you with this."
I think you're really reaching here, and in the process, denying common sense and Occam's Razor in this context. Even if what you said made sense, it wasn't really her intent to not draw attention. She was impetuous in her actions. And besides which, if everyone is brandishing a sword, and she's the only one not, then she would be drawing more attention, even if they don't perceive her to be a threat. All I am saying is that she should have drawn her sword -- that's common sense when charging into a battle. But you're trying to justify her actions as though it makes sense--which it doesn't. Her failure to not draw her sword is not based upon any perceived or preconceived aforethought congruent to your justification. Your justification may be a way she defends herself later on for not drawing her sword, as a way for her to explain herself if asked, but I hardly think most people would buy it given the situation when the better explanation would be, "I was too impetuous and did not think about it." In moments of impetuousness, common sense goes out the window.

And besides which, the question really is more of, "does it make sense to not draw your sword in battle."

BTW, this is fun. Heh. XD.
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 23:00   Link #263
Joojoobees

Quote:
I think you're really reaching here, and in the process, denying common sense and Occam's Razor in this context. Even if what you said made sense, it wasn't really her intent to not draw attention. She was impetuous in her actions.
Again, I have always believed, and publicly maintained, that what she did was dangerous, even foolhardy. The safest course of action would have been to stay out of the Inn.

Quote:
And besides which, if everyone is brandishing a sword, and she's the only one not, then she would be drawing more attention, even if they don't perceive her to be a threat.
:sigh: And you claim I'm the one who is "really reaching" and "denying common sense and Occam's Razor in this context". This isn't a game of one of these things is not like the other. In this context Occam's Razor means figuring out, as quickly as possible, where the next threat is. Again, is that gonna be someone swinging a katana, or someone empty handed?

Quote:
Her failure to not draw her sword is not based upon any perceived or preconceived aforethought congruent to your justification.
I was just responding to this assertion:
Quote:
She could at least pretend to fight by having it out and ready.
Which made me think, "Hell, no. Waving a sword around in the midst of a battle is an invitation to be attacked. Pretending to fight will fool nobody."

Quote:
And besides which, the question really is more of, "does it make sense to not draw your sword in battle."
But here you are assuming that she is engaging in the battle. Clearly she was not charging in to join the fight. She was rushing in to assist with the wounded.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 10:51   Link #264
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

First, point taken on the not one of those things that isn't like the other remark. I think you have a point there, but I think you'll draw attention either way. Sure, they'll go after the guy with the sword instead of you if you have no sword if that guy is attacking, but that doesn't mean you won't be drawing attention to yourself.

You can't just pick up on one thing I said to build your case when the message needs to be taken as a whole. Clearly, I was being hyperbolic with that remark, just like the picking up and using a rock remark. It doesn't matter why she charged into battle. All it matters is that she did. If she charged into a place full of swords, she better have her sword out. That's like going to a bake sale with delicious cupcakes but leaving them in the Tupperware container in your car. That's the bottom line. The fact that she didn't means she wasn't thinking and lacked common sense at the time, considering that she had her sword right at her side.

I don't know why you're trying so hard to justify an action that makes no sense.

My only contention is that -- it does not make sense to charge into a battle without your sword, esp. when you have you sword right by your side. That's all. And if you're denying that, I don't know what to say but carry on, since there's no convincing either of us to sway our opinions on this VERY important matter. Haha.
Old 2010-04-24, 19:59   Link #265
Joojoobees

Quote:
there's no convincing either of us to sway our opinions
Aah! Something with which I can completely agree.
Old 2010-04-24, 23:34   Link #266
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Chizuru was seen interacting with the Shinsengumi as she rushed in, and they talked to her as if they cared for her. She was their enemy and was going to be attacked regardless or whether or not she had a sword out or not.
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 03:00   Link #267
Irisiel

To add to the drawing of sword debate, her enemies had no way of knowing if her sword-style is the drawing of sword type (like Hajime), which means that as long as there IS a sword at her side, she's as much a target as if she's drawn the sword, because they don't know her fighting style.

So really, she should have drawn the sword because it is part of her fighting style, making it easier for her to protect herself.

Anyway, in the fourth episode it seems like someone finally kicked the plot in the behind and got it moving at a faster pace, or maybe the producers just realised that they have only 13 episodes to work with.

Spoiler for Episode 4:
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 09:26   Link #268
Haladflire65
*Artist

Not a bad episode, but now I'm really hungry for serious fighting and some kind of real tension. I want to see more of those vampire things from the first episode, and all those implications made in the OP sequence...

But on the plus side, Chizuru is getting more interesting and Hijikata is looking hotter and hotter
Old 2010-04-25, 13:53   Link #269
kitten320

Oh, now that looks interesting. Now I'm curiouse about Chizuru

Liked the sword hit exchange between Kazuma and Hijikata. Hope to see something more seriouse in the future^^
Old 2010-04-25, 23:05   Link #270
OkamiNoKaze

Lots of action and blood in the Ep. 3. It was a bit hard to keep some of the shinsengumi straight when they were all wearing the same uniform but I suppose with time It'll be easier. The running hand in hand at the festival was pretty funny. As for the real life photos, wow there is a bit of difference, But Saito doesn't look close to any version I've seen of him, I rather like the Kenshin version myself. I have to imagine that those were among probably the first photographs ever taken in Japan
Old 2010-04-26, 13:09   Link #271
The1
Relentless sinner

This 1 caught my eye. So far so good. Only thing that's weird for me is Saito's purple hair(visual kei in 1860's ). That scene at the festival really made me laugh. ) Looking forward to the next episodes.
The1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 21:58   Link #272
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*

Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Nani only 13 episodes?
I've got the ominous feeling that the story will mainly follow the normal route...

(Well, I shouldn't have been dreaming of my Saito fuufu/SaiChizu to begin with...ugh, perhaps I should finally start to play the game instead of whining about the anime...)
Old 2010-04-26, 22:28   Link #273
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Finally saw the sub for ep3. When Hijikata told her to go with Harada, I instantly knew that he wanted her to enjoy that festival (saw the raw earlier) and, voila!, it was true. Hiji is such a tsundere. I like him more and more.

I didn't notice before when watching the raw but they added new scenes to the OP. And with the OP lyric and OP scene and these two new unusually powerful guys...all screams DEMON! to me. I'm guessing they're not human.

This series has such a good plotline that would be best presented with at least 26 episodes. 13 episodes are way too short. D:

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 03:54   Link #274
BigSky
Death & Rebirth

I'm really enjoying this anime, of course made me remember Rurouni Kenshin but this one is better xD

Hope this anime won't end in 13 episodes...
Old 2010-04-27, 09:00   Link #275
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Old 2010-04-28, 00:02   Link #276
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

^^I really like the contemplative Okita in that one, heh.

Too many clans and too many names, hard to keep everything straight. I think the creators take somethings as being self-explanatory for granted. The opening scene was never revisited again during this ep, really want to know what that is all about. It seems like the princess has lived for a very long time.

The dialogue is a lot more complex than other shows, as I have noticed during this episode. It does a really good job of bringing their personalities across, but a lot of things gets lost in translation, it seems.

Loved the scene where Kazama sliced that guy. The fight scene between him and Hajikata was okay, and it looks like he let his sword go on purpose to test his suspicions. Looks like Harada found his match in that guy with the gun, and makes the ending scene between the two more meaningful. Also, loved the blushing and the way Harada teased her. LOL.

he 13 eps. really is a shame, any truly great series has at least 25-26, and great ones with >14 is an exception.
Old 2010-04-28, 00:16   Link #277
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Why isnt this getting a sub forum with all the pics that keep popping up here
Old 2010-04-28, 03:28   Link #278
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
In a noncrazy fan girl post:

I actually was rooting for the bad guy fighting hijikata today, since what he had to say was very rational and i agreed with it. Whats the point of slaughtering people who intend to kill themselves anyway? You only stand to throw more of your soldiers lives away by prolongueing battles, and get little reward for it.

Also, i find myself looking for the battosai each episode. I cant help it lol
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 07:15   Link #279
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I found this episode pretty boring up until Kazama met Chizuru's group. Then it actually started to get interesting, both the arguments and Chizuru showing more backbone. So I guess what they're trying to tell us is that Chizuru has taken this "medicine" that Four-Eyes was talking about earlier at the start (or atleast connected to it). And likely she got it from her father who the Shinsengumi are also looking for. The way Four-Eyes was talking about the medicine...either he's just really desperate or this "medicine" is some sort of liquified evil, so Chizuru may have those horns sticking out of the head some time in the future...

Honestly, this isn't good. I keep constantly comparing these fight scenes to Sword of the Stranger which is just totally unfair...

Last edited by Haak; 2010-04-28 at 07:26.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 11:14   Link #280
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Honestly, this isn't good. I keep constantly comparing these fight scenes to Sword of the Stranger which is just totally unfair...
The sword fights in Sword of the Stranger were just too good. Already 2 years and nothing has come close to it. But even without comparing it to a movie of that caliber, the fights in Hakuouki are still nothing special. Personally, I keep comparing them to Gintama, which isn't really fair either considering how freaking awesome the huge fights in Gintama are. God, I miss Gintama...
Anyway, we're still just at the beginning of the series, so maybe some good fights are coming up. However, considering the studio working on this, I'm not getting my hopes up.

To get back on topic, I found episode 4 a bit boring. It was a mainly a set-up episode to introduce the future villains. So Chizuru is special, after all. I wonder if she'll get to fight seriously later on. And woah ! New female characters ! Amazing ! Be careful not to get some of the members of your harem stolen away from you, Chizuru.

Tags
edo setting, josei, otome, shinsengumi