AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 50 47.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 22.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 14.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 10.38%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.94%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-11-07, 01:16   Link #101
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, I've been waiting for someone to ask that.

The short version is just that, whatever form of damage she does to the staff would be dealt to her enemy. But as you can see there are timing, distance and positions to consider.

The long version is that it uses [Idol Theory] principles, similar to the map of Japan which created 47 portals that didn't exist before. The Lotus Staff represents The five elements— fire, wind, water, earth, and ether. And since everything is created from the five elements, when she mixes Idol Theory the 'staff' becomes like that map, whatever action she does to it would affect the real thing.
Adding on, to quote Agnese in the LNs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 7
I wonder if you know that in modern Western magic, there are five elements— fire, wind, water, earth, and ether— that have their own symbolic weapons. A ‘stick’ represents fire, a ‘dagger’ represents wind, a ‘cup’ represents water, and a ‘round table’ represents earth: these are the so-called elemental weapons.”

“And this staff in my hands is the ‘lotus staff’ that represents ether. It has a very interesting characteristic: it can change into a weapon of the other elements.”

“Everything is created from the five elements. By mixing this with the ‘Idol Theory’, what will be the result? Didn’t that magical library explain the map magic of Ino Tadataka? It’s the same idea, but that magic links the ‘map’ with the ‘landscape’. However, this five-element staff represents everything; in other words, it can cause everything to be suitable for this rule- like, say, air itself…!”
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 01:27   Link #102
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

episode 5 is the best index episode so far. I loved everything with the action and falcon puncing. I guess Touma has no qualms beating up little girls. Next episode looks like Railgun coming back. FFF-YEAH!!!
Old 2010-11-07, 03:06   Link #103
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

BAH !!! She deserved every loose molar she received
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 04:03   Link #104
Lumir

Upper-cutt loli in the face!!!

Dmg: OVER 9000!!!!

I wonder what was in that note for touma? Hahaha my imagination is running wild.
Old 2010-11-07, 04:06   Link #105
Flere821
Lurker

^ see the LN Volume 7 epilogue - it has the first few sentences at least before Kanzaki took the note away.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 05:48   Link #106
Ashaman

Meh. There's barely anything. Only some thing like - "Since you're still asleep, I'll leave this message -" Cut off. That's nothing.
Old 2010-11-07, 07:00   Link #107
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

I did not like this arc much at all. Maybe my love for the first season holding me back. I look forward to next episode.
Old 2010-11-07, 08:16   Link #108
Divine witch
Yes,Captain Vocabulary.

Guess Touma ain't got a problem punching "helpless" little girl.
Divine witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 08:41   Link #109
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
after awakening? but

Spoiler:
Spoiler for ...:
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 10:23   Link #110
Jarmel

Quote:
Nope, Laura didn't know that Orsula didn't have the right answer, she said so herself.

Orsula thought she had the answer to solve the Book of the Law because her formula yielded results, only that she didn't realize it was a false positive. Index said that the reason why the Book of the Law was such a nightmare was because there are hundreds of ways to decipher it, and they all would give a different answer.

Kanzaki came into the picture only when Amakusa was involved later on.
Oh god that is so much worse then. So nobody thought to actually test to see if that was the correct way to decipher the book especially when they know how easy it is to get it wrong? These are a bunch of rocket scientists here. Jesus that would be the first thing to do.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 10:27   Link #111
klare

ending with another weak defeat strong, situation-turning fight...

the nuns suddenly moved like zombies, could not even break a wooden door with their superior numbers or magic...

if i have that magic stick on Agnese's hand, i will make sure Touma not able to stand again...

the Amakusa gang suddenly did well and did not mess up after joining side with Touma...

does the hospital scene indicate Kanzaki fell for Touma?

considering to drop this show
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 10:52   Link #112
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Oh god that is so much worse then. So nobody thought to actually test to see if that was the correct way to decipher the book especially when they know how easy it is to get it wrong? These are a bunch of rocket scientists here. Jesus that would be the first thing to do.
I don't think everyone knew there were hundreds of ways to decipher the book,
and I'd assume people only knew Orsola had a deciphering method but didn't know what kind of method that was.
As the book is said to be quite dangerous so any attempt at deciphering could be fatal, it was probably more convenient for Agnese to get rid of Orsola.
Also, maybe it's too much of a hassle to test the method. Index is an exception to that since she's got a pretty damn huge harddrive up there.
And what are people going to do if they found out the method was correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
considering to drop this show
A new arc will start coming episode (2 episodes only). There'll be one new character, focus on the scientific side and Kuroko = Railgun cast.
As I previously said, this arc wasn't the best one imo, but things should get more interesting now.
Old 2010-11-07, 11:37   Link #113
kitten320

I can't say that this arc was that good either, kinda dumb to see hundreds of nuns losing to like 20 people, makes them look pathefic. And a lot of them have far superior weapons then those fromgood side.

Well at least I enjoyed their creepy moments, especially with the door. And it was nice to hear Touko's voice again.

And yay! Kuroko centred episoe next friday! Can't wait, I've missed her.
Old 2010-11-07, 17:13   Link #114
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

Do you even remember why they're having this conflict in the first place? The Rome Catholic Church DOES NOT want the book to be deciphered at all. The Book with the power to 'End the age of Christianity' is not something you want to test it out first and so Orsula was never given that chance, she just high tailed out of there the first chance she gets.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 19:29   Link #115
Jarmel

Quote:
Do you even remember why they're having this conflict in the first place? The Rome Catholic Church DOES NOT want the book to be deciphered at all. The Book with the power to 'End the age of Christianity' is not something you want to test it out first and so Orsula was never given that chance, she just high tailed out of there the first chance she gets.
But it seems relatively well-known how difficult it is decipher and they just take her on faith. It's absolutely absurd. That's like me saying I know where Osama bin Laden is and the government sending troops to protect me and terrorists would try to kill me. That's such a glaring and stupid loophole. It also seems you can test it out as they were about to do it in the church.

It also seems somebody could have had acces to previous decryption techniques and noted it was a fraud.
Old 2010-11-07, 19:34   Link #116
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
But it seems relatively well-known how difficult it is decipher and they just take her on faith. It's absolutely absurd. That's like me saying I know where Osama bin Laden is and the government sending troops to protect me and terrorists would try to kill me. That's such a glaring and stupid loophole. It also seems you can test it out as they were about to do it in the church.
It was difficult to decipher, but I don't think they knew why. I mean, did you know that the Book of the Law had hundreds of ways to decode? I don't think that part is common knowledge, Index had to go through all of them to figure out that it's impossible.

They were going to test it out in the church because they were at the end of their line, it's the last resort not that they really want to.

They can't just wing it because this particular grimoire is extremely well known to be dangerous, it's the same if figuring out how to activate a nuclear bomb, are you sure you want to 'try it' ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 19:48   Link #117
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Ugh... glad that arc is over.

Not well depicted how pressed our heroes were, forcing them into a pinch. The not constantly attacking the door was lame too. I mean all they needed was some background noises.

I didn't even care too much for the Touma Agnese fight. At least not until I decided to dub her "Evil Louise". ("Explosion!" Boom! Fist to the face Evil Louise the Zero).

The last few minutes showing how manipulative the Anglican church leader was was a pretty good twist.

It seems to me they are trying for a shades of grey morality debate where no side is good or bad. But the kicking Orosla scene in the last episode really didn't work with that. Nor Evil Louise being so crazy during the fight.

I saw a good concept here this arc, but extremely bad execution.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 20:38   Link #118
Jarmel

Quote:
It was difficult to decipher, but I don't think they knew why. I mean, did you know that the Book of the Law had hundreds of ways to decode? I don't think that part is common knowledge, Index had to go through all of them to figure out that it's impossible.

They were going to test it out in the church because they were at the end of their line, it's the last resort not that they really want to.

They can't just wing it because this particular grimoire is extremely well known to be dangerous, it's the same if figuring out how to activate a nuclear bomb, are you sure you want to 'try it' ?
They tried nukes before using it(on Japan) in a controlled environment. I mean you're about to kill someone off and you're not even sure if it works. I mean Index tried the exact same method so someone knew it didn't work.
Old 2010-11-07, 21:12   Link #119
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

You don't understand how powerful The Book of the Law is. It is thousands or millions of times more powerful than any nuclear weapon on Earth. Plus, they have no intentions of using the power, just telling Agnese to "back off, we have a very powerful weapon, and we're not afraid to use it".
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 21:20   Link #120
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Still its suprising that I get to see Kaori fall in love with Touma so soon, Iv read about it that she does fall in love with him in the novel, wikipedia and from forums.

But to see it and believe it is another thing, it really was adorable to see her blush like that to Touma.
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote