AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-29, 07:29   Link #5781
arkhangelsk

The main point of the "Tankery Lectures" is not the information. It is Yukari's positive take on everything that makes it so nice to watch. Even the Type 89 can be made to sound almost useful from her.

Spoiler for Drama 6:
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 07:58   Link #5782
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Images
Tiro Finale
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Nishizumi-Style Interrogation

Images
Patisserie Swallowtail special cakes

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2013-03-29 at 08:12.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 09:26   Link #5783
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
That's a very long essay to say that they should have somehow reduced the amount of tank action and increased character development
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually I think I think Midonin's a little too sore about this than he should.
Looking back on it, even I agree that it may have been a little much.

Quote:
Maybe you would like Girls and Panzer better if it was about 1-v-1 or at most 3-v-3 tank duels?
When the series was proposed, the idea of battles never really occurred to me at all. I thought it would be about the concept of tanks, sort of like what Robotics;Notes did for robots - they'd still be an integral part of the show, but it would be mostly character-driven stuff.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 09:28   Link #5784
rocket
Senior and Demented

I have a feeling long after everyone's forgotten this show "tank cakes" will be a thing in Japan among Otaku that nobody will quite understand how it started.
Old 2013-03-29, 09:43   Link #5785
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Looking back on it, even I agree that it may have been a little much.
The key to enjoyment is not to block out the other half of the show. As I said, I'm a HUGE Kuuki-kei/Iyashi-kei/Slice of Life watcher, but the moment the tank segment came into play, I didn't reject it, but instead I did my homework and realized that, hey, all the extra know-how about the tanks themselves help the enjoyment factor even more.

Even the minor stuff about how top speeds don't necessarily mean the same as offroad speeds give a whole different dimension to, say, how the heck the Type-89 manages to outrun a Matilda, when technically they have the same speed (24 km/h). The little bit of research THEN tells you that, normally, tanks won't go hell for metal as there's a huge danger of throwing tracks... which THEN tells you that Shinobu is actually pushing the machine beyond it's usual specifications.

Brilliant, really.

That said, I'll be VERY happy if and when we finally see THIS baby in action. Cromwells are a work of art, they are.

Old 2013-03-29, 09:57   Link #5786
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Volleyball team is all about GUTS. Perhaps is last battle has made them feel more GUTS from tanks than volleyball. Because honestly, would you rather spike the ball, or troll the Maus?

They've been pretty much the most accurate team Ooarai's got. They also have evasive driving down to an art. Only place Mako is ahead of them is drifting. Their problem is their tank's gun. The Type 89 has a worthless gun for battling tanks and they've discovered this finally. They trolled the Tiger II and Panthers, but couldn't hurt more than their pride even at point blank range. Same with the flag Sherman in the first tournament match. They scouted the flag tank perfectly, but didn't fire a shot because their gun would not do anything.

Give these four some sort of fast light tank (or a fast medium tank) with a gun that can actually hurt someone, and they may be the best team. Or at least the most daring team.
Old 2013-03-29, 10:02   Link #5787
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Give these four some sort of fast light tank (or a fast medium tank) with a gun that can actually hurt someone, and they may be the best team. Or at least the most daring team.
...a Cromwell!

Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 10:03   Link #5788
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
They've been pretty much the most accurate team Ooarai's got.
Actually, wouldn't most accurate team be Anzu's Turtle Team? Duck team does get quite a few hits but IIRC they are all at close range (not that that's bad, we've seen many a team fail to hit at similar ranges, especially in KMM and St. Glorianna) and they all bounce. Anzu demonstrates proficiency at both ultra-short (in Ep9) and moderately long (in Ep11 and scale the Tigers off the striches), and they all do some damage.

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2013-03-29 at 10:14.
Old 2013-03-29, 10:07   Link #5789
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Ithekro is referring to the fact that, during their practice sessions, Noriko was the only one who actually hit the target on her first try.

Also LOL I just used the Cromwell as an example for a possible tank to animate when the second season rolls in.
Old 2013-03-29, 10:09   Link #5790
arkhangelsk

Well, there's that, but that was before Anzu finally took over Momo's position, and Anzu's hits were in combat, not practice.
Old 2013-03-29, 10:17   Link #5791
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Volleyball team can't penetrate anyone's armor really. They did hit the Churchill on the retreat, but it of course bounced. They peppered the Black Forest tanks on the retreat, but their gun can't do anything. (I think someone pointed out that they were the only team to score a hit in practise other than Hana's shot). They didn't pepper the Pravda tanks on the retreat because they were ordered not to fire to help keep the Pravda gunners from ranging off their muzzle flashes in the dark.

Volleyball team has only one maybe two kills to their record, and they are Anzio's tankettes.

The most effective team in terms of kills is the History team and their StuG III. In the tournament (minus Anzio since I don't have clear kill record from that yet), the StuG crew has taken out at least five tanks by themselves, with at least two more assists, if they didn't get the killing blow. Miho's Panzer IV is next on the list with four kills plus at least two assists. After that is Anzu's Panzer 38(t) with two or three kills followed by a few assists with their Hetzer (the Hetzer didn't kill any of the enemy tanks...just tracked a few of them and trolled the rest). Before that though, Momo was their worst shot. The the Automotive Team's Tiger (P) with three kills (the two next to them as they blocked the path, and one jadgpanzer IV that chased them...cause they had to have killed it). Then the M3 Lee with basically two kills and an assist. The remaining three tanks have no kills (save against Anzio for the Type 89 and possibly the Char B1 under Yukari). The Type 89 might be considered to have an assist on the Maus. The Type 3 has no kills.
Old 2013-03-29, 10:48   Link #5792
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I feel sad for the Type 3. It came out for a brief 3 minutes, then, kaboom. Not even a single shot fired. Its as frustrating as driving a LOLItraktor in a Tier X game.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 10:50   Link #5793
arkhangelsk

Well, not only did it count as a Shout-Out to the real Type 3, but it was sacrificed so KMM could still look like a threat. Without it KMM's record falls to zero hits in the ambush, and they'll look too silly.
Old 2013-03-29, 10:53   Link #5794
Gravitas Free Zone

While the show did take some liberties here and there with tank specs and usage, they did keep very consistent with using the StuG as an ambush tank that did not fire on the move.

Of course, most of these tanks really shouldn't be firing on the move, as is generally demonstrated by their horrible accuracy when they run and gun. Stilll, it makes it a little harder to evaluate Saemonza's gunnery as a whole, since she's probably never had to try that.

Figuring out how Anzu got as good as she did... now that's a puzzler.
Old 2013-03-29, 10:56   Link #5795
arkhangelsk

Personally, I don't split firing on the move and stopped firing. Yes, firing on the move is much, much more difficult, but it is their decision whether to stop or not. Creating favorable conditions for hitting is part of gunnery, and if you shoot under unfavorable conditions and miss, it should still count against you. Of course, if you fire on the move and score hits, kudos.
Old 2013-03-29, 10:58   Link #5796
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Well, not only did it count as a Shout-Out to the real Type 3, but it was sacrificed so KMM could still look like a threat. Without it KMM's record falls to zero hits in the ambush, and they'll look too silly.
I rather they trash the French tank, though

At least give the Type 3 some decent screen time *sigh*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 11:02   Link #5797
Gravitas Free Zone

I only just now looked at the shopped pictures of Anzu stalking JagdPanther-chan.

It's so wrong... but funny... but wrong.
Old 2013-03-29, 11:10   Link #5798
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Poor JP-chan

Images

Endless "Our tracks are heavy!" Soul
Old 2013-03-29, 11:12   Link #5799
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I rather they trash the French tank, though

At least give the Type 3 some decent screen time *sigh*

- Tak
But then they can't have that nice scene where Sodoko says she will keep her promise!

Still, yeah, I think they could kindahave done that. They only really needed Sodoko for that scene, and the 47mm and 75mm are IIRC even more ineffective than the M3's weapons against the heavy German armor.

They could have transferred Sodoko and Pazomi to "strengthen" the Chi-Nu team, and leave Gomoyo to get hit. Maybe.

Nah, overall the story still looks better with the Type 3 getting hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
I only just now looked at the shopped pictures of Anzu stalking JagdPanther-chan.

It's so wrong... but funny... but wrong.
Links please.
Old 2013-03-29, 13:02   Link #5800
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Links please.
https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/...4138185146.jpg

https://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/...4118313792.jpg

On another note, it would probably help some of the teams to finally have the full crew complements for each vehicle.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks