AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-24, 18:32   Link #1
Ellie97

Horror/tragedy anime or manga

I'm searching for a truly shocking gory anime/manga with a good plot and that will make me cry. I don't mind if it anime/manga, yuri/yaoi (all the better ;D) I'd prefer romance, but that's just too muchto ask for, so I really don't mind

I've only watched deadman wonderland as a horror anime(although it didn't make me cry) and that is the most gory anime I've seen.. Does anythig you know top it?? Something worth my tears please
Old 2012-03-24, 18:37   Link #2
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Albeit the start looks like some usual horror genre, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Higurashi When They Cry) probably will fit what you are looking for: it isn't exactly that graphic, but the gore is heavily suggested which can be sometimes even more unsettling.
But it is hardly a mere gore series, as it is far more centred on the thrilling aspect, and more importantly, the tragedy in which characters are trapped in (something to keep in mind: there is no "tastless" violence in there. All problems and events have a context and reason(s) to occur).

The second season (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai) gives a proper conclusion.
Old 2012-03-24, 19:54   Link #3
kitten320

Elfen Lied tops it in every sense since it came before Deadman Wonderland. They have similarities but main plot is very different. Elfen Lied is more gorry, sad and has stronger romance aspect

I really can't count Wonderland as horror despite being tagged like one... so I'll throw in Ga-Rei Zero which is tagged as thriller what is close to horror. Series are not that bloody but still has a lot of blood, at least more than usual action anime. Uncensored version is more brutal obviously. I really like this show. It has suspense, blood, nice action, good soundtrack, romance, strong friendship and drama worth your tears.
First episode will make you go WTF, for me it was a positive one. Actual thing starts from episode 2 though. It gets into flashback at episode 3 and is more of a comedy for first 2-3 episodes but then things start to actually kick in. Every episode is important so don't even think of missing any!

There is also Another which is more of a mystery but has a lot of deaths. Episode 11 might get you all hyped horror wise. Last episode will be aired this Monday.
For me first 4-5 episodes were slow but then it got better. Though majority loved it from the start. Can't say it will bring tears though.

Other emotional animes I know are not bloody, more psychological and emotional.
Old 2012-03-24, 21:13   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll suggest Mnemosyne, though I don't know whether it will move you to tears. It does have a lot of gore, along with nudity, torture, intriguing characters, and a reasonably compelling plot for the first three episodes. I didn't find the second three episodes nearly as interesting as the first. YMMV

For your added viewing pleasure, it also contains some soft-core yuri.
Old 2012-03-24, 23:51   Link #5
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
There is also Another which is more of a mystery but has a lot of deaths. Episode 11 might get you all hyped horror wise. Last episode will be aired this Monday.
For me first 4-5 episodes were slow but then it got better. Though majority loved it from the start. Can't say it will bring tears though.
I 2nd Another and make sure you wear quality headphones if you watch this. It will scare the **** out of you =03.

Old 2012-03-25, 00:37   Link #6
raitouazura
Fallen God

Blood+

C3

Highschool of the dead

Mirai nikki

if you have steel heart maybe you can try School days if not, i recommend you refrain from watching it

Next one will not miss
Old 2012-03-25, 02:08   Link #7
Eragon
Still Alive

Seconding Elfen Lied, it fits your needs perfectly. Also seconding Blood+
I would also recommend Berserk - although not horror from the start, I can assure you will be left in cold sweat by the time you finish it.
Claymore - It's gory, its tragic, horror maybe.
Akira - its a movie though. But its one of the best.

Note: Do not watch School Days if you haven't seen it already. You've been warned.

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-03-25 at 05:34.
Old 2012-03-25, 04:47   Link #8
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Second Elfen Lied and C3 and third Another
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-26, 23:14   Link #9
Elegance

I recommend the Manga Bloody Monday. its not horror but more like tragedy
Old 2012-03-26, 23:21   Link #10
HasuMasu
*Artist

Try Ibitsu, oh and School Days isn't really horror or tragedy...

I second Elfen Lied on the tragedy aspect, though.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni only starts as horror/tragedy, later on it's one of the more optimistic anime I've seen.
Old 2012-03-26, 23:40   Link #11
sa547
*Author

I remember that some horror OVA titles in the 80s and 90s were more gorier, graphic in their execution. But these, however, will be very hard to find.
Old 2012-03-27, 01:21   Link #12
Eragon
Still Alive

Here's another one, Hellsing OVA.
Old 2012-03-27, 01:24   Link #13
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Ousama Game - It's a manga series survival game about people chosen to do a task within 24 hours and failure to do so equals death.

Lots of twists and tragedies, It's definitely as must read.
Old 2012-03-27, 05:02   Link #14
GreatTeacherKen

Though it's more of an fantasy action/horror story than a straight up horror story, I second Berserk. In this case, I'd recommend the manga as the horror elements and violence are much stronger there as the protagonist has to fight some pretty scary monsters, but it has a strong story with a well-developed cast. It also has a romance subplot that important in the main character's development and it certainly is not lacking in tragedy though the story is nowhere near a conclusion yet so whether the outcome will be tragic is up in the air.

Last edited by GreatTeacherKen; 2012-03-27 at 05:55.
Old 2012-03-28, 16:13   Link #15
Ellie97

Thanks guys! I'm watching blood+ and since it's quite long, I'll watch another one at the same time.. Probably Elfen Lied or Another..

And I've already watched school days... imma bloody warrior >.<
Old 2012-04-03, 08:05   Link #16
FaiEatsRainbows
Wonderful Wonderholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie97 View Post
Thanks guys! I'm watching blood+ and since it's quite long, I'll watch another one at the same time.. Probably Elfen Lied or Another..

And I've already watched school days... imma bloody warrior >.<
Definitely watch Elfen Lied when you're finished with Blood+. I loved it so much. The plot, the characters, everything. It brought me to tears and left me wanting more because it was so great. There is a lot of blood and nudity, too.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:07   Link #17
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I am surprised that no one mentions Basilisk. Plenty of gore for you to feast on. Not a horror but the RomeoxJuliet theme is definitely tragic, so it might get you to shed one or two tears

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Closed Thread

Tags
horror, psycological, tragedy