AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-06-05, 21:19   Link #1
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Qualia the Purple (manga)

So, Qualia the Purple, also known as Murasakiiro no Qualia and The Violet Qualia, is a monthly manga written by Ueo Hisamitsu and with art by Shirou Tsunashima (Jinki and stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis
Marii Yukari might seem like a normal girl at first glance, but the world through her eyes is one like no other -- she has a peculiarity in which every other living being shows up to her as... robots! Due to this weird trait, she's seen by other people in her class as a sort of mascot character, but some weird things seem to be happening around her.
Basically, this started being scanlated a... month ago, and it's a very interesting story so far. Bit sci-fi-ish, with some shoujo-ai thrown into the mix, as well as robots and.... well, it's got a lot of good things! There are five chapters scanlated as of right now, with the sixth one supposedly coming out soon. The japanese magazine releases are on volume 3, which may or may not be the last one.

---

Personally, I've been really into it, because every chapter so far throws a curveball, and it never really stops surprising. The art is also pretty good, as expected of Tsunashima, and it's nice to see him work on something promising. Also, according to the translator, apparently there are some huge plottwists in Volume 2 that make this get REALLY great, so I'm looking out for that, lol.

That said, anyone read it?

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2013-07-01 at 09:20.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 21:38   Link #2
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

You know, I was just thinking about starting a thread on this, so congrats on the ninja. This manga really is quite interesting, especially the main character and her abilities. How it affects her daily life and personal relationships is quite thought provoking.

The whole tone is reminiscent of Iris Zero, in a way.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 21:45   Link #3
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Haha, I've been meaning to start a thread for a while, too, but just logging on sometimes is more than I can do! Still, yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by Qualia, because so far it does a pretty good job of introducting the characters and presenting to the reader the more philosophical bits.

I'm sure if I didn't care about any of these characters, it'd be much harder to take some of the more heated debates seriously, but since they (and especially Marii) comes off as so likeable, it's hard not to care and let yourself go with the flow in the middle of how crazy things seem to be. Also.

Spoiler for Ch5:
Old 2013-06-05, 23:40   Link #4
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Spoiler for Chapter 5:
Old 2013-06-06, 00:03   Link #5
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

The original light novel was a real page turner and I gulped down the entire story in one night. Really loved this series. Not going to spoil but I'll just say that you guys ain't seen nothing yet. Look forward to the 2nd manga volume.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 00:08   Link #6
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

^
Gimme some hints!

...is the yuri relationship prominent? oh and has it finished yet?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 00:37   Link #7
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

The original story was finished in one long light-novel volume. So yes, as Blue-kun said, I'd expect the 3rd manga volume to be the last one.

As for yuri...nah, not gonna talk. Enjoy the story.
       /
      / \|
    /

Last edited by winhlp32; 2013-06-06 at 02:06.
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 03:00   Link #8
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
especially the main character and her abilities.
I'm pretty sure the main character is the normal girl (Gaku-chan). This is more her story, about how she gets involved in the fantastical world that Yukari represents, rather than Yukari's story itself. I bet the light novel is even written from her point of view and all.

Anyway, this thing is pretty weird but I'm liking it a lot. Looking forwards to next chapter.
Old 2013-06-30, 17:10   Link #9
Grey

I thought the initial premise was interesting but I wasn't sure if they would go anywhere with it. But wow did things become dead serious and awesome in the recent chapters. I never would've expected things to take this direction.

Thumbs up. Many thumbs up.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 17:54   Link #10
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quoting from someone in batoto
Quote:
You know what, never mind fear of the dark, I'm terrified of light now. You do not wanna fuck with light. Jesus H. Christ, girl.
Holy shit this manga is good

Old 2013-06-30, 18:02   Link #11
Shadow5YA

And here I thought it'd be a Haruhi-like story with Gaku-chan as the Kyon to Yukari's Haruhi

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2013-06-30 at 18:15.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 21:57   Link #12
Kioras

Some of the unreleased chapters, from Dengeki Daioh (especially the one 2013-06)from makes me wonder how powerful Gaku-chan can really be, not to mention it makes you wonder what is left of her psyche.

This is based off of a light novel also, would seem to be a pretty deep one compared to most of the ones that get full translations.
Kioras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 22:14   Link #13
runset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioras View Post
Some of the unreleased chapters, from Dengeki Daioh (especially the one 2013-06)from makes me wonder how powerful Gaku-chan can really be, not to mention it makes you wonder what is left of her psyche.

her ability is broken as hell. her ability make her practically a god. she can obtained all of her "otherself" experience. this basically is like a try and error experiment. she can redo anytime she want until she get the result she want.
runset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 22:25   Link #14
Kioras

Quote:
Originally Posted by runset View Post
her ability is broken as hell. her ability make her practically a god. she can obtained all of her "otherself" experience. this basically is like a try and error experiment. she can redo anytime she want until she get the result she want.
I sadly can't read the future chapters i browsed at, but her power appears to be even more broken then simple save scumming.

She might be able to pick up all the experiences/knowledge of the other selves she calls.

Spoiler:
Kioras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 06:14   Link #15
Shadow5YA

I guess now we know why Yukari thought she was an all-purpose robot

Though it does beg the question: why isn't there a parallel world where Yukari didn't go to Jaunt?
Old 2013-07-01, 06:43   Link #16
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Science fiction and yuri? Count me in!
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:58   Link #17
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

An anon gave some spoiler picture in /a/ but it's in korean.. I must say, Gaku is really one scary woman It's like they took one step up from S;G and make it much more serious

Old 2013-07-01, 09:12   Link #18
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

The original novel actually predates both Steins;Gate and Madoka, having been relased in July 2009. S;G (game) only came out in October of that year, and Madoka is from 2011. Random information, but I do see a lot of people comparing it to both of these works, and I guess it deserves a bit more recognition! haha.

Anyway, yeah, these last chapters have been pretty insane. I like how the manga has all this weird stuff happening, and yet it *tries* to fit in these scientific explanations, even though most of them are coming from the girls studying on their own, rather than the author actually telling us WHAT is going on.

You can clearly see he did some research on the subject and is trying to make good use of it, but at the same time it's nice that i's also quite apparent that he is worried into making a very entertaining fictional story, and not some sort of textbook 101 quantum physics.

Anyway, the story definitely started for real now, and I'm loving how the 'disjointed' feel it has due to all the jumping between different worlds/possibilities complements SO well the fact that Gaku herself doesn't even seem to realize anymore "who" she is, as evidenced by one of the pages in chapter 11. Also, speaking of her, she's on a roll. Throughout the first volume I liked her, but I really never imagined she'd get to be such a complex and interesting character. The sheer dedication she puts into her goal is amazing, and even a little scary, as some have pointed out. If I had to say, the next chapters might show us some really ugly sides of "her", because if she was pissed before, after uncovering the "truth" of what happened, I'm sure she's ready to do anything.

Oh, and random trivia from the Tenko blog that made me laugh. Someone tried to read the english in page... 26, I think, from Chapter 11. The one on the PC screen. Turns out it's actually pretty understandable english, except instead of information about Yukari as one might except, the stuff written there is about a person called "Mariko Morikawa". A quick search on Google indicates that Mariko is/was nothing less than a quite popular Adult Video Idol, haha. Maybe Tsunashima was a fan and wanted to joke around with it?
Old 2013-07-01, 11:31   Link #19
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

For me, the recent chapters simply aren't as enjoyable as the first six, but perhaps that's my fault for not waiting to just read the whole thing at once.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 12:26   Link #20
Shadow5YA

Can anyone explain to me why Gaku-chan can't just find a parallel world where she didn't push Yukari into joining Jaunt?

Her connection to parallel worlds began the moment Yukari reconstructed her arm with the cell phone, right?