AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-01-15, 22:44   Link #1
Cyz
"Show it to me"

"Static" sound problems (Was: Question)

I recently downloaded the CCCP so I can watch MKVs and h264 videos. When I watch fansubs, there are times there will be a sudden static sounds or something similar to that. It only happened when I downloaded CCCP. But it always happens in random though, when I repeat that particular scene that has a static, it's not happening anymore. So yeah, it's not that a big of a deal but I wanna know why it's happening. I'm using a WM9 player btw.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-01-15, 23:03   Link #2
tritoch

Wifi? Some wifi stuff cause static noises. Or better yet, try a different player to see if the problem lies with the player and not the file you downloaded.
Old 2007-01-16, 04:55   Link #3
NibelungTaisa
freshly noob

hmmm...i use Zoom Player that i think comes with the CCCP to watch .mkv and h.264 files...my windows media player doesn't work anymore...i also think that some older or slower computers might not play some videos correctly...oh i watch the mkv videos on my 2.8ghz pentium computer instead of my 1.7ghz celeron because it doesn't play on the 1.7ghz computer...
Old 2007-01-16, 07:55   Link #4
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Is the static sound more jarring and clipped? Sounds like it could be a decoding error though usually doesn't happen on normal playback, but on seeking to points in strange files. I am guessing you are getting this for MP3 audio (the most commonly used format in fansubs) ? Which has been sometimes known to happen. Open the CCCP Settings menu, and uncheck MP3 on the right side in FFDShow Audio Decoders.
Old 2007-01-16, 17:12   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

I used to get that sound with certain releases, IIRC it was with AC3 audio. However I've not had it for ages. You might want to uncheck OGG in there as well, but I don't think that's the issue.
Old 2007-01-16, 18:12   Link #6
Nicholi
King of Hosers

No you don't want to uncheck anything else, so ignore the above post.
Old 2007-01-31, 17:51   Link #7
martino
makes no files now

I know that this issue has been solved, but this is just out of my interest; Is there any advantage of letting ffdshow to decode Vorbis as compared to the CoreVorbis decoder?
Old 2007-01-31, 17:53   Link #8
emptyeighty

Edit: Blatantly misread the above post. The advantage is one less .ax file on your system. That's it.

Last edited by emptyeighty; 2007-01-31 at 18:24.
Old 2007-01-31, 20:34   Link #9
Nicholi
King of Hosers

As emptyeighty said, there are no known real benefits. Though it might be hinted by FFMPEG develops that it is faster at decoding. They did add quite a few optimizations recently. No known quality concerns I know of, you might run into issues playing 6ch Vorbis stuff with CoreVorbis, though that should hopefully not exist anyways.

Just so you know CoreVorbis decodes with the library created by the Xiph people themselves, libvorbis. Whereas ffdshow uses libavcodec, from the FFMPEG group.