AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-03, 07:23   Link #21
Tenzen12

I thought it will be CGDCT but what I got is CGDSRC (Cute girls doing something really cool) instead. Determination is real and they got some funds (but why the hell does Antarctica going around with 1M in her bag. Never heard about bank or pillow?). I will cheer for their success from my warm bed.
Old 2018-01-03, 12:11   Link #22
Mistyclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I thought it will be CGDCT but what I got is CGDSRC (Cute girls doing something really cool) instead. Determination is real and they got some funds (but why the hell does Antarctica going around with 1M in her bag. Never heard about bank or pillow?). I will cheer for their success from my warm bed.
Perhaps she was afraid someone, like a guardian was monitoring her and with a million dollars plus her constant statements about going to Antarctica, would be a dead ringer to how far along she is with her goal (sure her working a lot should clue you in) they would stop her. Maybe they wouldn’t care once she’s an adult, but since she’s still in high school— thus still a minor— if she has a guardian, they’d definitely stop her. Plus you can’t track paper money.
Like the concept of the story so far. Not many people willing to travel to Antarctica. The girls have some serious wills to go there, without experience or adult help. Let’s see how it goes!
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 15:04   Link #23
ArrowSmith

I wonder do Antarctic expeditions let high school girls along for the ride? I mean I'm all for "Cute Girls doing Cute Things", but come on!
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 16:41   Link #24
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
I wonder do Antarctic expeditions let high school girls along for the ride? I mean I'm all for "Cute Girls doing Cute Things", but come on!
If you got money, you can do anything. But obviously we are talking about a "safari-like" thing and not a research expedition.

Back in uni, I actually applied for a post. They prefer people having a proper trade skill, besides being a graduate or undergraduate, because of the maintenance work at the stations (plumbers are always welcomed, i was told).

Btw, love the show so far.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 18:32   Link #25
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
If you got money, you can do anything. But obviously we are talking about a "safari-like" thing and not a research expedition.
There are regular cruises to Antarctica where passengers can land on the shore for short visits. There are a lot of restrictions though to prevent contamination of the continent's ecosystem -- portable toilets are deployed, all trash must be collected and removed, no "souvenirs" etc. As far as I know there are no such holiday trips far inland but then again there isn't a lot to see there. You do get people hiking to the Pole and completely across the continent coast to coast but they're not tourists and they need a lot of permits and such as well as support teams, aircraft etc.
Old 2018-01-03, 18:42   Link #26
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I thought it will be CGDCT but what I got is CGDSRC (Cute girls doing something really cool) instead.
I think that's a good distinction to make. I vaguely remember similar complaints coming up in the Sound Euphonium thread way back when it first started as well. In my opinion, I've observed three main types of the "Cute Girls Doing" (CGD) genre.
  • Cute Girls Doing Cute Things (CGDCT) - e.g. K-On
  • Cute Girls Doing Difficult Things (CGDDT) - e.g. Sound Euphonium, High School Fleet, (I haven't seen it but maybe Girls Und Panzer counts?)
  • Cute Girls Suffering (CGS) - e.g. Madoka Magica and all the various knock offs.

These aren't meant to be rigid labels. Shows that are predominantly one type can still have elements of the other, particularly between the first two which is where I think the confusion happens.

That said, I'm not totally sold on the first episode. One main reason why Sound Euphonium worked for me is because of its excellent characterisations. In CGDDT shows, focusing too much on the "Difficult Thing" can often lead to flat characters that aren't much better than characters in CGDCT shows and this anime is in danger of falling into that trap (and the comedy is a little stale too). I'll watch more episodes before making my final judgement. I also have personal issue with CGDDT shows in that there's often no real storytelling point behind that "CG" bit other than cynical money making, and that they'd be better off with a more gender balanced cast (A bit of a hypothesis but I imagine the main reason CGDDT shows have turned out so popular is because they mimic the increasingly virulent idol culture that has this kind of drama at its core?). Sometimes I can look past it, but even shows like Sound Euphonium will annoy me because of this.

Last edited by Haak; 2018-01-03 at 19:07.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 20:52   Link #27
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Hibike! Euphonium is not in this genre
It doesn't deliberately remove all and any important male characters
There's still hint of straight romance

CGDCT being popular nowadays is ruining anime though

Shoujo Genre is better if you want a female protagonist
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 20:58   Link #28
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post

CGDCT being popular nowadays is ruining anime though

Shoujo Genre is better if you want a female protagonist
So "Girls Last Tour" is ruining anime?
Old 2018-01-03, 21:11   Link #29
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^That's different though

Gakkou Gurashi and also that old anime ICE

All girls cast not always CGDCT like Haak Guy said 3 posts ago

Though the single gender exclusive is annoying
Regarding ICE, it's the very theme
For anything else... Why? Why must exclude the other gender?
Same problem with recent Cute Boys Doing Cute Things anime too
Old 2018-01-03, 21:15   Link #30
ArrowSmith

Well it's the same problem with shows like 'Free!'. All the boys are impossibly handsome and fit, and the girls are just supporting players. No romances.
Old 2018-01-04, 01:47   Link #31
Mistyclear

Not even really romance that is the issue for me, I’m just tired of just one gender anime’s, and if they do include a member of the opposite sex, they’re typically bland or even down right ugly, whilst up playing the same sex (the girls only anime in particular are bad about this, beautiful females everywhere you look, males not so much). I think there are about 5-6 all girls anime for winter 2018, that’s just ridiculous in my opinion.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-04, 02:18   Link #32
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^^Right?

^Indeed, 1 or 2 is fine, but 5 or 6? That's too much
Added with the male version CBDCT, like half of the shows are forced one gender type

I like both shounen and shoujo genre
Boys can like shows with female protagonist and vice versa
Give us back GITS and Gunslinger Girl

These one genre things are not even Iyashikei anymore...
Old 2018-01-04, 02:35   Link #33
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Yes, but only hints. Whilst there are male characters like Taki-Sensei that can play a prominent role, they're still mostly limited to being the subject matter for the girls, rather than POV characters. Like I said, these labels aren't meant to be so rigid. I still think Sound Euphonium counts, but just as a more "moderate" case as opposed to an extreme one where you won't see a single male character whatsoever. Heck, I'd even count shows like Sakura Quest and Shirobako under this category.
Old 2018-01-04, 04:32   Link #34
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think that's a good distinction to make. I vaguely remember similar complaints coming up in the Sound Euphonium thread way back when it first started as well. In my opinion, I've observed three main types of the "Cute Girls Doing" (CGD) genre.
  • Cute Girls Doing Cute Things (CGDCT) - e.g. K-On
  • Cute Girls Doing Difficult Things (CGDDT) - e.g. Sound Euphonium, High School Fleet, (I haven't seen it but maybe Girls Und Panzer counts?)
  • Cute Girls Suffering (CGS) - e.g. Madoka Magica and all the various knock offs.

These aren't meant to be rigid labels. Shows that are predominantly one type can still have elements of the other, particularly between the first two which is where I think the confusion happens.

That said, I'm not totally sold on the first episode. One main reason why Sound Euphonium worked for me is because of its excellent characterisations. In CGDDT shows, focusing too much on the "Difficult Thing" can often lead to flat characters that aren't much better than characters in CGDCT shows and this anime is in danger of falling into that trap (and the comedy is a little stale too). I'll watch more episodes before making my final judgement. I also have personal issue with CGDDT shows in that there's often no real storytelling point behind that "CG" bit other than cynical money making, and that they'd be better off with a more gender balanced cast (A bit of a hypothesis but I imagine the main reason CGDDT shows have turned out so popular is because they mimic the increasingly virulent idol culture that has this kind of drama at its core?). Sometimes I can look past it, but even shows like Sound Euphonium will annoy me because of this.
Girls und Panzer would definitely fall under that category... in general, I think you could viably describe it as a cross-over between CGDCT and a sports anime (except the sport is made up - but still very well thought-out). And BTW in a lot of occasions sports anime ARE like that, except for boys. I've been watching Haikyuu, there's a couple of support female characters, one of which might be a love interest for the MC, but it's all very much on the sidelines. The focus is squarely on the sport, manly friendships, manly rivalries, and manly sexual tension .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-04, 04:43   Link #35
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Hanasaku Iroha would be the best example of great mix of CGDCT and straight romance
Need more of that

Blend-S botched it at the end though
Old 2018-01-04, 15:38   Link #36
ArrowSmith

I think ya'll asking too much of Japanese studios. They create CGDCT because that's what the market demands. Seinen titles are the tiny minority of the market. Be glad we get any.
Old 2018-01-04, 16:21   Link #37
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Girls und Panzer would definitely fall under that category... in general, I think you could viably describe it as a cross-over between CGDCT and a sports anime (except the sport is made up - but still very well thought-out).
I think CGDDT (if we're making that distinction) does borrow a lot from Sports anime/manga because it's their only point of reference that is tried, tested and true. I remember Sound Euphonium making a fair few allusions as well.

Quote:
And BTW in a lot of occasions sports anime ARE like that, except for boys. I've been watching Haikyuu, there's a couple of support female characters, one of which might be a love interest for the MC, but it's all very much on the sidelines. The focus is squarely on the sport, manly friendships, manly rivalries, and manly sexual tension .
I don't actually watch a lot of Sports anime but I don't mind giving them a pass for being too male-centric (or even female-centric) when it makes in-universe. I can't think of a single sport that's mixed gender.

But here there's nothing about going to Antarctica that necessitates an all female group, imo.

Quote:
Hanasaku Iroha would be the best example of great mix of CGDCT and straight romance
Need more of that
I'd also classify that as more of a moderate CGDDT (again, if we're making that distinction).
Old 2018-01-04, 19:34   Link #38
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I can't think of a single sport that's mixed gender.
There's show-jumping, dressage and three-day-eventing, Olympic sports which are gender-neutral where the winners are not segregated by sex. I know of mixed rowing competition classes where the crews are equal numbers of men and women but those classes are not yet recognised at the Olympic level. Mixed doubles in tennis?
Old 2018-01-04, 21:06   Link #39
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
There's show-jumping, dressage and three-day-eventing, Olympic sports which are gender-neutral where the winners are not segregated by sex. I know of mixed rowing competition classes where the crews are equal numbers of men and women but those classes are not yet recognised at the Olympic level. Mixed doubles in tennis?
Except there is no interest in making an anime out of any of those sports.
Old 2018-01-04, 22:11   Link #40
HandofFate

kind of see this as a seishun series rather than just cgs