AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-06, 17:53   Link #41
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
A dark fantasy anime that isn't isekai. That alone is worth a mention. And then there was all the rape and killing. Haven't seen a first episode like this in quite some time. It definitely made a strong impression.

If I were that guild chick who gives missions, I'd feel pretty guilty right about now. She knew it wasn't a mission noobs could tackle, she should have tried harder to stop them. But maybe she was the one who sent Goblin Slayer to rescue them after realizing they were idiots who wouldn't listen?

Goblin Slayer's design and way of fighting are pretty cool. Curious about his past, but I can pretty much imagine his mother/sister were raped and killed by Goblins and he's been dedicating his life to exterminate them ever since.

Maybe it's because I was spoiled about the rape, but I thought the scene where Goblin Slayer beats goblin kids to death was actually more shocking.
She didn't give them the mission though. They took it.
Old 2018-10-06, 17:56   Link #42
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Blessings that are only usable a number of times a day, instead of mana. Clearly this is a D&D inspired fantasy. The methodical ways of the Goblin Slayer also reminds me of a dungeon clearing session.
Also, "Your party found a goblin totem! The GM then rolls and the party fails the check to notice the hidden pathway"
Old 2018-10-06, 17:57   Link #43
xeviouses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
If I were that guild chick who gives missions, I'd feel pretty guilty right about now. She knew it wasn't a mission noobs could tackle, she should have tried harder to stop them. But maybe she was the one who sent Goblin Slayer to rescue them after realizing they were idiots who wouldn't listen?
IIRC from source: Guild girl did try to stop and get the noob party to pick another quest.(giant rat slaying)

But she was ignored and we all know what happens next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Blessings that are only usable a number of times a day, instead of mana. Clearly this is a D&D inspired fantasy. The methodical ways of the Goblin Slayer also reminds me of a dungeon clearing session.
Also, "Your party found a goblin totem! The GM then rolls and the party fails the check to notice the hidden pathway"
In the manga, the application form for newbie adventurers is actually a 5e stat sheet.
Old 2018-10-06, 18:00   Link #44
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Yeah. D&D Vancian Magic, but in a world like Warhammer Fantasy RPG where the authors runs with the worst possible features for the bestiary (because in WH Fantasy, monsters like trolls regenerates, like its D&D cousins, but ALSO bleed acid like Aliens, HAVE FUN) just to make the life of adventurers a living hell. Also, the GM is on a very bad day and will do everything to ruin your day.
Old 2018-10-06, 18:08   Link #45
bakato

I wonder if the anime will show us the people upstairs.
Old 2018-10-06, 18:21   Link #46
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
IIRC from source: Guild girl did try to stop and get the noob party to pick another quest.(giant rat slaying)

But she was ignored and we all know what happens next.
In the show, she pointed out if they waited a little while another adventurer would come in to deal with it. That was GS. She can't stop them from taking a quest as long as they have the rank, but its not a coincidence that GS just so happened to get there when he did after they'd taken the quest off the board. She basically sent him to go help, and considering that he popped up right when he did he had to have left maybe about an hour or so after them.
Old 2018-10-06, 18:29   Link #47
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

wow, this was a lot darker than i imagined it'd be going in. definitely one to keep watching. the music was good, and the rationale of Goblin Slayer was sound. can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2018-10-06 at 20:50.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 18:48   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
In the show, she pointed out if they waited a little while another adventurer would come in to deal with it. That was GS. She can't stop them from taking a quest as long as they have the rank, but its not a coincidence that GS just so happened to get there when he did after they'd taken the quest off the board. She basically sent him to go help, and considering that he popped up right when he did he had to have left maybe about an hour or so after them.
That's what I figured. To be clear, I'm not saying she's at fault (they're the ones who ultimately decided to take on that mission), just that in her shoes I'd feel guilty for being unable to stop them. And although I'm not blaming her, I definitely felt she could have insisted more, but perhaps experience told her it would be pointless.

It's definitely a tough job as Keila pointed out. It's something I never really thought about until now.
Old 2018-10-06, 19:46   Link #49
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Your RAPE RAPE RAPE edgelords are no different from the people who watched Scarface and only care about Tony Montana "being a foul-mouthed badass and living the gangsta high life" and missing the part where he ended up destroying and losing everything. In other words, they missed the small nuances that makes the substance of the story.
Or we can get those not-so-small nuances and also enjoy the fun.
The story behind those events is also what makes it good.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 20:49   Link #50
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i actually like that the author has kept it dark. dark fantasy is something that has been missing from anime as of late. there are only a handful, like grimgar, that have gone this path. everything else has been a lot of happy go lucky, video game-esque type stories.

on a completely unrelated note, i'm pretty sure i've read this one by kazuhiro before...

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 21:19   Link #51
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
It's here! My most awaited show this season. Loved how the anime used subtle orchestra-stlye pieces for most of the BGM but when it got GS himself the music shifts to something more fitting for a DOOM game. (Well he is medieval fantasy version of the the Doom Slayer except for goblins)
Amusingly, that comparison has spawned some interesting mutations of the trailer (#1; #2)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
I did like how they seem to go deeper into the workings of the world than the usual fantasy...
Worldbuilding is always fun, just so long as you keep clear of the metaphorical walls of text...

Quote:
...especially the part of how even the lowest of low tier monsters will destroy you with one mistake...
And that's before you get to cases of low-tier monsters who are intelligent enough to organize into their own parties...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The hook is practicality. GS is thorough and methodical in a fantasy world inhabited by people who often think inside a very small box and pay the price for it. This whole series might even be considered a satire of the typical fantasy tropes. A very smart one I may add.
Which does lead one to wonder: how common in that world are instances of people paying the price for that lack of vision? Surely at some point it would occur to adventurers in general that a measure of Combat Pragmatism would be a good idea...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 21:27   Link #52
Magewolf

So why are we supposed to hate the goblins again? I mean apart from them being the mega rape machine race all they did was let some idiots win their Darwin awards. And who could blame them for that, those "adventurers" were just looking for a place to commit suicide.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 21:44   Link #53
Tenzen12

Well, because they are rape machine race, who regularly raid small villages and setlements. They don't make anything only steal, pillage and mulitate.

Is that answer good enough?
Old 2018-10-06, 21:59   Link #54
Random14

We saw that they had already kidnapped quite a few women, which was kind of the point of the quest, to go rescue them. Remember that? Although this is still the first episode so we'll see more of their activities later on.

I do wish the reception girl could warn people more, but then most people probably wouldn't listen anyway and have no idea just how dangerous venturing into goblin territory is. As Priestess' ending narrative summed up, her story isn't an uncommon one. Well, not like education is at that high a level in a medieval world, since the reception girl did ask if Priestess knew how to read and write.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 22:03   Link #55
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Noobs thinking they can take on Goblins is kind of reminiscent of Draftees in Vietnam thinking they could easily get rid of the Vietcong (Or the Soviets thinking they could just waltz over the Taliban in Afghanistan. Or the British back in...nevermind, you get what I'm saying). Nope, your opponents don't have the tech or skill investments you have, but they've got the numbers, the home advantage, and most importantly they won't fight fair--they're not under any obligation to. Also Low Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean completely stupid--you want stupid unthinking hordes of enemies, go fight Zombies. Goblins are a lot more capable than that.

Plus, you're invading their home cave. Not going to be easy. There's going to be a lot of angry Goblins in there.

A LOT.

I'm of the thinking that a lot of higher level adventurers may have gotten to their position without ever fighting more than a small group of Goblins at once.

In an RPG sense, a bad DM usually just throws hordes of Goblins at a party, and they get slaughtered pretty quickly. Which isn't bad game-wise, but it's usually a very smart DM who knows how to use Goblins properly...

Just as a reference:
https://youtu.be/Lkzgx8V_eK4

<<---has been in an RPG campaign years ago where I was a Noob and was mauled by Goblins using guerilla tactics.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2018-10-06 at 22:15.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 22:16   Link #56
moridin84
Custom User Title

I'm glad that they are putting a bit of "style" into the anime.

I'm not sure I want to see the uncensored version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Amusingly, that comparison has spawned some interesting mutations of the trailer (#1; #2)...
Ohh, those are cool.

Quote:
Which does lead one to wonder: how common in that world are instances of people paying the price for that lack of vision? Surely at some point it would occur to adventurers in general that a measure of Combat Pragmatism would be a good idea..
Well, they die first or move onto bigger and more important things. Demons, dragons etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
So why are we supposed to hate the goblins again? I mean apart from them being the mega rape machine race all they did was let some idiots win their Darwin awards. And who could blame them for that, those "adventurers" were just looking for a place to commit suicide.
You don't have to hate them if you don't want.

The whole "mega rape machine race" would do it for most people though.

Quote:
I do wish the reception girl could warn people more, but then most people probably wouldn't listen anyway and have no idea just how dangerous venturing into goblin territory is. As Priestess' ending narrative summed up, her story isn't an uncommon one. Well, not like education is at that high a level in a medieval world, since the reception girl did ask if Priestess knew how to read and write.
In the LN/manga she warned them a little bit more but the anime cut that for time.

Ultimately though, this kind of story happens all the time in that world. The world is full of goblins and full of rookie adventurers.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 22:23   Link #57
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Well, we eat to live too. Unless they show us Goblins can reproduce by themselves.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 22:29   Link #58
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Well, they die first or move onto bigger and more important things. Demons, dragons etc.
- I'm strangely reminded of Gjallahorn from Gundam IBO: People so used to "Honorable" straightforward duels and battles and can't deal with enemies who actually have a sense of tactics. Same thing, I think: Most stereotypical "Great Heroes" make a big deal of "fighting fair" and honorably because they know they have the advantage in that situation. I tend to think half the time one of those guys refuses to fight "Lower Level" opponents is because they know they'll lose to someone who's not dumb enough to fight them on their terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Well, we eat to live too. Unless they show us Goblins can reproduce by themselves.
- I think the LN or manga hinted that Goblin Children are essentially born from the rape of human/elf/other women? Don't quote me on that, though.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 22:34   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The goblins did attack a village to get the girls they had in the first place. Even if adventurers aren't stupidly wandering into that cave people would still end up getting killed. They weren't going to use their captives to bolster their population and then just passively chill in the cave. They were going to go on the attack. There was definitely reason for someone to step in and go after the goblins. Unfortunately the first ones there were careless and inexperienced.

I think it's a troublesome situation. If you know what you are doing then fighting off goblins probably isn't too bad. But experienced adventurers probably would prefer going after more difficult challenges and not delving into caves. They can handle tougher tasks and probably prioritize that. That leaves an opening for the inexperienced who aren't going to aim for obviously high risk targets to deal with lower risk ones.

But monsters are still monsters. And ones that are smart enough to realize that groups can take down more powerful individual threats are even scarier. Rookies in that setting need to be restricted to something less dangerous...if there is such a thing. They got any slimes in that world?
Old 2018-10-06, 22:50   Link #60
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post

You don't have to hate them if you don't want.

The whole "mega rape machine race" would do it for most people though.

I find the whole rape race thing to be more laughable then infuriating. It reminds me of a book review I read years ago about how ham-handedly an author had handled the villains in a book series. The reviewer wrote that she expected the main villain in his next book to be introduced playing golf with golf balls made of compressed but still alive kittens while ordering a couple of orphanages burned down to get coals for his afternoon barbecue.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy