AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-07-09, 00:06   Link #21
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Somewhat interesting and it kept me hooked for the first half of the episode but then things got boring. The story isn't my cup of tea but everything else looks pretty good. I'll give it another ep.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 09:05   Link #22
SethOfI

I was kinda hoping for a little more mystery in this one as opposed to an action anime, which is what I feel it is based on what I've seen so far. Still worth watching though, assuming they will find a way to keep the crime drama vibe interesting.
SethOfI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 09:19   Link #23
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought I saw some stylistic similarities to Baccano! in this show. Turns out Studio Shuka is an offshoot of Brains-Base. Some of the staff at Brains-Base left to form Shuka and make the second installment of Durarara! after Brains-Base declined. Shuka also made Natsume Yuujinchou 5. Maybe 91 Days is a warm-up for a Baccano! sequel

I found the story pretty conventional but well made and worth following. I always have to grin when I watch Japanese interpretations of Prohibition America though. The accurate replica of a Bell System sign was a nice touch, but the sandbar of sin with a cathedral turned bar at its center was just too ahistorical for me.

SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 11:12   Link #24
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's been a while since we had a good mafia anime. This one seems promising with a classic set-up for a revenge story. Didn't disappoint one bit.
Old 2016-07-09, 12:06   Link #25
Draco Spirit

Pretty good opening. Feels very much like a classic mafia film, right down to the opening and closing.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 12:49   Link #26
Applehell

Liked what I saw, but i'm sucker for these kinds of period pieces so it' not very hard to get me on board. Just hope it turns out morr memorable than Joker Game did.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 09:13   Link #27
James Rye

Looks good so far, prohibition on booze, people make moonshine to make money, two rival mafia families are getting into a power struggle with each other and a loner gonna use this mess to get his long awaited revenge. Think I gonna continue watching this.
Old 2016-07-10, 12:52   Link #28
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Dat classic mafia vibe.

This looks like it'll be a lot of fun. Hopefully won't be the trainwreck that Gangsta turned into.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 13:00   Link #29
IceHism

Episode was pretty boring for me. It kind of reminds me of joker game last season which started ok then got really boring.

At least this can't go the way of gangsta due to the lack of superpowers. It'd be nice if all it focused on was the life of a bootlegger but I guess the revenge plot will be the main focus
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 15:45   Link #30
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Episode 1

First of all, visually, this show is really nice to look at, in terms of location designs. Feels like watching a medieval painting or something.

Narrative wise I am pleasantly surprised that this so far is very devoid of anime tropes. While the narrative is nowhere near the level of Baccano, it is refreshing to see a serious mafia story. In fact this might as well be Godfather movie remake and not an anime. Very good. Of course on the downside, Joker Game also seemed promising and we all know how that mess turned out.

Plot does not seem to be anything out of the norm for the mafia story tropes - revenge, death of the family, anti-hero characters and all. While the characters and setting lacks the liveliness of period works like Baccano, the characters still feel real and the show does not forget to smile from time to time instead of wallowing in angst and edge.

Possibly one of the most promising starts this season. Hopefully this can keep up the quality and not tumble down, like it might.

The only real plot hole so far is that I have no idea why would he be left alive if his whole family was killed? Unless there is a reason that seems to be strange, especially for a mafia story, that they would just let him live for no reason.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 15:52   Link #31
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post

The only real plot hole so far is that I have no idea why would he be left alive if his whole family was killed? Unless there is a reason that seems to be strange, especially for a mafia story, that they would just let him live for no reason.
The flashback showed that he escaped into the woods and I guess that the mafia had trouble finding him afterwards. They couldn't find him for a while and I guess that they decided to give up afterwards due to thinking that he couldn't be that that much of a problem.
Old 2016-07-10, 15:55   Link #32
RobotCat
In a Box

Its kind of weird his friend was able to instantly recognize him after 7 years of not seeing him...
Old 2016-07-10, 15:56   Link #33
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
The flashback showed that he escaped into the woods and I guess that the mafia had trouble finding him afterwards. They couldn't find him for a while and I guess that they decided to give up afterwards due to thinking that he couldn't be that that much of a problem.
The thing is, that is not how mafia usually operates. Leaving somebody alive like that pretty much guarantees a vendetta. Usually hits like that would ensure tehre's no escape route for the enemy and even if there was, MC would be dead corpse the moment he appears in their territory. So they either think he is dead or are allowing him to live for some reason.

I would not be surprised if they know about him and are keeping him alive for something because they want something.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 18:33   Link #34
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The thing is, that is not how mafia usually operates. Leaving somebody alive like that pretty much guarantees a vendetta. Usually hits like that would ensure tehre's no escape route for the enemy and even if there was, MC would be dead corpse the moment he appears in their territory. So they either think he is dead or are allowing him to live for some reason.

I would not be surprised if they know about him and are keeping him alive for something because they want something.
It depends which mafia organization. Italian-American mafia families back in the day didn't touch the families of the people they wanted to get rid of. Women and children weren't allowed to be touched.
Old 2016-07-10, 21:22   Link #35
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

A solid opening liking the bootlegging angle but the mc seem so creepy
Old 2016-07-10, 22:32   Link #36
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:

Remember he left for 7 years? Mafia as powerful as they were still kept to their local territories. If he ran out of their zone of control they couldn't do much about it.
Old 2016-07-11, 21:28   Link #37
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Great premiere, imo. Probably my favorite debut episode this season.
Old 2016-07-12, 11:21   Link #38
com_gwp

Is this the Bacanno successor I've been waiting for? It sure feels a hell of a lot like it.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 06:14   Link #39
Yamada II

Episode 1

So Angelo's family was killed by Vincentte since Angelo's dad had something of the Mafia boss with him. Because of these Mafia wars, Angelo's family was killed. And Angelo wants revenge. He ran away and returned after 7 years with a different name to his friend, Corteo. And he plans on taking out those who killed his family. We have the Vanettis and the Orcos. And then there is alcohol. The Orcos do alcohol business and the Vanettis were playing around and stole some Orco booze. And some Orco mad man came to get his booze back right when Angelo was selling Corteo's stuff. And it turns out that Nero Vanetti was the one fooling around which called out the Orco guy. And this Nero dude is probably the guy who was there when Angelo's family was killed. Which means that this guy is Angelo's enemy and they both just ran away together from that Orco guy.

This has been an interesting set up so far. Angelo needs to find that Vincentte guy or at least someone else who was present there. And he wants to kill that Vincentte guy. And Nero here might be his guide.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 07:34   Link #40
xeviouses

Now this is a surprise!

I was willing to pass this one over after Gangsta, but the established setting and darker theme hooked me instantly.

Tags
crime, drama