AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2015-03-21, 15:19   Link #34981
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Holy crap, I almost had a heart attack that the Manga was confirming Trick Ending as the one true ending.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-21, 17:40   Link #34982
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
Holy crap, I almost had a heart attack that the Manga was confirming Trick Ending as the one true ending.
I love that it basically says that the Trick Ending is a bad one that continues the chain of misery and strife. Too many people like it and claim it's the Good End.
Old 2015-03-21, 17:59   Link #34983
Leslie Chow

Haguruma if I may ask, how did the transition from the trick ending to the magic ending go in the manga? I got a bit lost, because it seems like after killing Amakusa and Kawabata, she is already on the building.

And I know you may have heard this a lot, but thanks for the translations.
Leslie Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-21, 18:08   Link #34984
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
And I got my hands on it, the new issue is here and let's see how far we get this time:
Spoiler for Episode 8 Chapter 35: Beyond the Door lies ~A Trick~, and then...:

I am excited to read your comments on it.
Not as much as I was to read it!

My thoughts... a bit jumbled because I'm still overly excited about the whole thing and a bit hesitant as without the pictures to go by I could be missing some vital information but well... here I come!

First thing first, I'm glad they included the trick ending!
I was pretty afraid they would skip it.

Now... I can't be quite sure from the script but I get the feeling the trick ending here was included as Ange's speculation of how her future would be? Is that the case?
If it's that the case I think it was quite a good idea.

Anyway... as in the VN Eva and Battler work together to close the door.
Unless the manga is depicting it in a different way the script seems to imply, as the VN that Featherine is Tohya alterego so I guess the working together might mean Eva keeping silent till the end and Tohya refusing to reveal what was written in the diary. Can it work with how the scene is depicted in the manga?

Though from how Battler speaks, as if EvaBeatrice represents an Eva who still has to take care of Ange I'm not really sure. Maybe Battler did something in 1986 as well.

As Erika spoke I wonder again if Erika actually didn't fall from the boat but committed suicide.

And LOL, I would love the idea of the Ushiromiya and Erika showing up again... though I'm not sure this is planned to happen in one of Ryukishi's future works... unless they meant in the trick ending where Erika effectively appears.

Just wondering... does the manga show what's Ange's prize from the halloween party?

And the trick ending really makes Ange scaringly similar to Erika, so much that I wondered if it could be that Erika is merely another version of Ange.

I'm also glad the manga cleared the part about what it meant that Ange died in 1998. We discussed about it not so much time ago and it's nice to have official confirmation about it.

Again, Featherine's last words make me really think she's a stand in for Tohya/Battler... as Beatrice was Battler's beloved witch.
And I like how the manga made Featherine's thoughts a bit more clearer.

Last but not least... again thank you a lot for your translations! You've no idea how happy they make me!

And now... what are we still missing?

1) Battler & Beato leave the submarine base

2) Ange leaves for a travel

3) Lambda, Bern and Erika spend some quality time together

4A) Ange becomes a writer

4B) Ange and Tohya meet (which might be in the same chapter as the previous)

4C) Tohya goes to the orphanage (which might be in the same chapter as the previous)

*sighs* Even Ep 8 is about to end... I'm gonna miss it... ;_;

Quote:
Can I just say that this was a wonderful way of summarizing it?
I agree!
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-21, 21:30   Link #34985
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
For Bluemail.

Forgive me if I cut your explanation for space reasons.
I found it really interesting as a theory. It's not my Meta fave theory but I've to say I still liked it a lot and I wouldn't mind if yours were to turn out as the truth.
Thanks! Though I already kind of changed my mind about many things in my theory during the day, as usual. This is also why I like to hear feedback, so I'm reminded of little things I might have forgotten in my enthusiasm for a new working theory.

Quote:
Honestly it doesn't look like Bern asked Featherine something, it's more like Bern went there on her own and Featherine also in Ep 6 decided to get involved on her own and, later on, to have Bern play the role of the miko for her in exchange of some benefits.

I'm not sure Bern even know Battler survived or that she would want for Featherine to be involved with him.
Bern contacted Featherine with a letter that was an extra TIP. The recipient's name isn't given, but it heavily implies Featherine. But you now reminded me of Bern's meeting with Featherine at the end of EP6, where she was surprised that Featherine had indeed revived. It makes me think Bern found Beatrice's game, sent Featherine the letter and got involved on her own. Featherine revived and got involved on her own as well, and meets her former miko only after EP6.

I just thought that because the cat Bern was always with Touya and Ikuko, that Bernkastel was involved with Touya from the beginning. Or more importantly the Tanabata extra TIP where she told Ange to never trust Eva if she wanted any of her family to return again and promised to look for that fragment made me think perhaps she knew Battler survived and was preparing Ange for their meeting. But maybe Bern did not know about Battler's survival and her promise was indeed about searching for a happy fragment for another Ange as Lambdadelta implied.

If Bernkastel did not find the fragment where Battler survived for Featherine, it implies either that Ikuko found Touya by pure coincidence or she just doesn't need Bern to do it for her because she's the creator. While my earlier theory kind of avoided it, I do prefer an interpretation where there is a single Prime fragment where Touya exists, and all the other fragments about the Rokkenjima incident are its branches, fragments within a fragment. It fits with the statement that Bernkastel moved to a bigger catbox to find Lion, which would be a fragment outside Prime's influence.

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't say Ikuko reached the truth, more she read it in Confession. I'm not sure about Tohya's status at this point as Ikuko wanted Tohya to read it as well but we're never told if Tohya read it or decided to challenge Beatrice's message bottles on his own without reading it.
Honestly I hope the manga will clear this up because for me it would be more logic if Tohya were to start from Confession since he has it at hands... but the plot of the story seems to suggest the opposite so you might be right.
I was going more by the visual novel only with my theory, though I mentioned Confession too. Because there were no hints to Confession's existence in the visual novel, I thought Ikuko using her own theory based on Legend and Turn would provide for that knowledge. Also, because Featherine wanted an answer check from EP7, I figured she probably had her own theory at some point.

Quote:
Again, you might be right but in their partnership it was said it was Tohya who thought up the plot, not Ikuko. If Tohya has no idea who's the culprit there's not much for him to think in regards to the plot as the best he could suggest is to make Eva an accomplice. He needs to have Ikuko present him a plot over which he can theorize. Also Featherine would have to take up Beatrice's role/aim/purpose (a game with love in which Battler is the detective and is asked to solve everything and remember her)... which she won't do in Ep 5 where apparently she takes up Lambda's role/aim/purpose (a game of revenge toward Natsuhi in which Battler is a mere accomplice and isn't asked to do anything).
I agree I might have given Ikuko too much credit, but I think it might be plausible to think that after Touya gave most of the ideas for the plot, Ikuko changed some things around so they would fit with her theory or Confession of the Golden Witch, maintaining the true essence of Beatrice in the forgeries. This is why they are presented as Beatrice's games. As Battler resolved to solve the game with his own strength, I believe he either refused to hear Ikuko's theory or read Confession or he couldn't, because it caused him pain if he was exposed to too much truth at once. Then the games would actually be like therapy to him.

I also think you're mistaken about Lambda's role/aim/purpose. Lambdadelta herself is not Sayo, she is not personally invested in revenge towards Natsuhi. Her main purpose is to play with Bern, but she said he put in lots of extra hints for Battler to understand Beato. So her role is another waypoint in understanding Beatrice, basically, which would fit as Ikuko's motivation as well. Play with the witch hunter community, leave extra hints for Touya.

Of course, it is also possible that Touya did learn the truth before they started writing forgeries. There is one scene that might imply this: at the end of EP2 it is said Beatrice told Battler everything, and everything made sense to him. Conveniently right after this the games are written by Touya and Ikuko instead of Sayo.

Quote:
Umineko suggested that some forgeries might be actually other messages in the bottle. I prefer to think Tohya and Ikuko just found 2 more messages in the bottles and released them under their name, maybe twisting them a little.
This would insure the first 4 games are all written by Beatrice... giving space for the other games to be written by someone else with different goals than Beatrice (Ep 5 is specifically defined as a game without love).
I don't like this, really. It makes the Hachijous sound dishonest. Why would they of all people find two more true message bottles anyway? Isn't just finding both an amnesiac Battler and Confession too convenient already?

Quote:
This bit was discussed quite a lot of time here. Why there's only 1 fragment with Lion and it has to end with his death?
My best theory is that it's because Bern said she found it by searching into the catbox, although it was a bigger catbox that the original. In order for Rokkenjima to become a catbox it has to end like the others, with the Rokkenjima incident.
So yes, in a way it's due to Lambda's power but this time Bern sort of used that power to her own advantage as she specifically searched only among words that would end with death and therefore could be put in the catbox.
In fact we can theorize there are countless of words that could end with no tragedy but they wouldn't be put into the catbox because the catbox exists merely because we don't know what had happened. If everyone had returned alive we would have no catbox to speak of.
That's an interesting take on it, I think it might be close to what happened. I also like to think that Lion's existence is tied to Sayo dreaming of her salvation, which created a special fragment among all her fragments filled with dark thoughts and tragedy created by both her and the people from the future, 1 in 2 578 917.

Quote:
I'm probably nitpicking but actually it's Eva who decided to create the catbox with the explosion accident to cover up everything. It's also Eva that started murdering people, although not on purpose.
If Eva hadn't shot Natsuhi Kyrie wouldn't have started shooting at people because she wouldn't have had enough bullets and because one of the other 2 people holding a gun could have killed her.
If Eva had decided to come clear and not hide everything the catbox wouldn't have been established. The police could have investigated and discover that the culprits were for some murders Kyrie and Rudolf and for some others made by Eva and Hideyoshi.

In a way Eva is Lamda's piece as well as when she became EvaBeatrice she was acknowledged by Lambda, while Kyrie only had Lambda's blessing in regards to Asumu's death.
I see what you mean. I tied Kyrie to it to create a common thread, but I also meant that if the final decision to act ever came up to Kyrie, she would start the massacre, forcing someone to cover it up with the explosion. While not necessary, it could be a possible pattern.

Thanks for reminding me that Lambda acknowledged Eva as a witch. I think this is because Eva made the effort to certainly never tell the truth to anyone in addition to what Lambda said in the coronation ceremony.

Quote:
On a sidenote I love your posts on tumblr especially the one that you didn't link but that was about the number of people on Rokkenjima. Even if I read others' explanations previously and so I already had more or less the hang of it yours made it very clear for a not Japanese speaker like me.
I've to admit when the argument about people come up I tend to send people to your post... :P I hope it's okay.
Thank you! I totally meant to make it so those not familiar with Japanese would understand Ryukishi's intention and made it a single post for just that purpose: so it could be shared easily to those who need it. So yes, it's definitely okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Well, some of your questions are inanswerable because in it's own narrative the Meta-World always existed. The Rokkenjima stuff is an infinitesimal part of it that's a fad and trend among the witches, but it wasn't the first and it won't be the last. It's just some shiny intriguing thing in some corner of the infinite sea.

I also consider 'Meta' and 'Magic' separate because Ryukishi seems to do so. Dlanor and company aren't 'magical' characters as Beatrice's group seems to define them. They're concepts, not illusions, and don't try to present themselves as anything but their symbolic is-selfs.

In my personal interpretation, the Meta-World is a sort of astral plane where all possible realities, including ours/Prime, are fictional worlds to its inhabitants; stories they can consume, edit, and create. But those same worlds share an inverse relationship; these worlds inform what is 'allowed' to exist in the sea, and the Meta-World is a conceptual space of ideas and thoughts which must spring forth from the 'normal' world(s).

Not all worlds are created equal, either. The Gameboards/Fragments are, quite literally, fragments of a higher plane known as Rokkenjima Prime. When the two are contrasted, the former is always strictly fictional.
I pretty much agree with this interpretation of the meta world. I think your idea of Rokkenjima as a higher plane is similar to my thinking that all derivatives of it are fragments within a fragment.

I also think Rokkenjima Prime is not the only higher plane fragment, and would say that Higurashi's fragments, for example, are equal to Prime. Unless Higurashi was never more than a story (a book in Prime), meaning that Bernkastel is essentially just a cameo, the concept born from one story inserted to another. Which she kind of is, but I like to attribute our world as an even higher plane and Higurashi's status as just a story is only acknowledged in our world, but in the sea of fragments enveloping the world of all When They Cry those fragments are real and not inferior to Rokkenjima Prime.

It could be possible to think of Ange's alternative ends as Prime's equals as well, the fragments within fragments structure only created by the catbox. Lion's fragment could possibly be included as well, because it's part of a bigger catbox, a higher plane. However, Higurashi's fragments came to being because Hanyuu created them every time she moved Rika back in time. This creation of new fragments to alter Ange's fate never happened in Umineko, so I'm inclined to believe Ange's alternative futures are still fragments within Prime, existing only on the level of thought. Other evidence for this is that Bernkastel claims it's impossible for Ange to survive if she jumps down from the building. However, Ange deciding if she jumps or not is a possible branching point that could result in two Rokkenjima Prime fragments of equal level, one where Ange dies and one where she lives on as Kotobuki Yukari.

Quote:
Sayo's only hope, as a being in the grave (Clair, who is not Sayo but is described as an object representing her thoughts, like one's own memory of a person), is for someone who isn't Battler to be able to understand her using only the stories left behind. By doing so, it proves that her puzzle of self was solveable, and her existence meant something.
I like this explanation of Clair a lot!

Quote:
6. You can't. That's entirely the point of the entire way in which this story was told. Even red truths only refer to fictional accounts of events. In the end, you have to decide what to trust. 'If you love me, all my words are red to you, right?' As Lambdadelta would say.

We can't know what Rokkenjima Prime was like, and we can't reasonably use the Forgeries to discern that. Ryukishi's conclusion and aesop, like it or not, was that it wasn't for us to know. We can only hope to infer it by following how everyone thinks and behaves. We have to engineer a suitable truth based on what's contained in their hearts, like Ange did.

The only truth you can ever verify in this universe is the existence of your own thoughts But we can learn to put our faith in another person.
Amen!

Thank you for the translation of the new chapter, haguruma!
I thought the boat scene with Beato and Battler was coming up in this chapter, but it was the Trick End! Now I need to wait for another month... Not that this wasn't interesting, and I'm glad the Trick End was included in the manga.

Quote:
Featherine:
Like this, those who will peek into your game will not die out completely.
Those who will want to expose it just because the catbox cannot be opened will surely not cease to exist.
But if through this course there will emerge one who has truly understood the truth of your heart...
in other words, if what you wished for will ever...
At least you will be able to rest peacefully like this.
Peacefully, at the deepest bottom of oblivion
you will surely be able to dream eternally.

Rest in peace, my most beloved witch, Beatrice.
Did Featherine really say all that, or was the last sentence for example one of those little lines they add at the end or start of chapters in manga magazines but remove them later in the tankoubons? Depending, I might need to rethink my take on how deep the connection between Featherine and Touya is...

After thinking things through today I realised the explosion accident and Kyrie being Battler's mother are knowledge commonly available outisde the catbox, so Touya should not be as stumped as Battler with Beatrice's last riddle in EP4 or her claiming that he is not Asumu's son. Touya shouldn't need to go through all the hurdles Battler did, but I still think connecting some of Battler's meta world actions with Touya in Prime is probably beneficial to the story.

I also noticed an interesting thing about Virgilia. She is the one who guides Battler in purgatory towards Beatrice. She gives him hints on how to think and provides some red truths as well. In Prime, who would take on this role? Ikuko, of course, who bases this knowledge on Sayo's confession. There are hints towards this as well. She first appears in EP3, the first game that is not actually written by Sayo. In EP6, we learn that Virgilia knows Featherine. In EP7, only Battler and Virgilia are in the chapel as Battler lays the story he wrote for Beatrice in her coffin. Battler and Virgilia = Touya and Ikuko?
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-21, 23:41   Link #34986
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Chow View Post
Haguruma if I may ask, how did the transition from the trick ending to the magic ending go in the manga? I got a bit lost, because it seems like after killing Amakusa and Kawabata, she is already on the building.
The two scenes are connected by a scene in what is likely the sea of fragments.
Spoiler for Chapter 35:

We have Ange with the Tokarev going to the right and Ange holding the present she got from Battler going to the left. Going by a completely non-magical explanation, we could also say that this is her waking up in the safety net. The next scene shows Ange quite bruised, lying in the safety net, a few stories below.

Guess Bern should have actually double-checked if really nobody could be saved by such a safety net. As always, her research was kinda lacking, being satisfied with having the Red that Ange dies.

Quote:
Unless the manga is depicting it in a different way the script seems to imply, as the VN that Featherine is Tohya alterego so I guess the working together might mean Eva keeping silent till the end and Tohya refusing to reveal what was written in the diary. Can it work with how the scene is depicted in the manga?
The way I read this scene, it is pretty much like that. I think it also hints at something that the actual Eva and the actual Battler decided upon in 1986, that would be why Battler is talking to EVA as if Ange was still her 6-year old self.
Featherine in this sense would actually be an amalgamation of Hachijô Tôya and Hachijô Ikuko into "the author" who chronicles these events.

Quote:
Just wondering... does the manga show what's Ange's prize from the halloween party?
Not yet. We are just shown a wrapped box approximately the size of a small PET-bottle (so it's not a huge doll ). In the Trick-ending she throws it into the sea when Amakusa questions her on it, in the Magic-ending she holds unto it.
Now this gives us two ways to read it:
(1) Tohya sent this gift to Ange in an attempt to make her feel better about herself. She got it shortly before she went up the building, after reading Eva's diary, and she would hold unto it until shortly before arriving at Rokkenjima if that future were to come true.
(2) Ange actually did go to the meta-world the moment she jumped off the ledge of that rooftop and the present is the one magical item that the people of that world bestowed upon her.
I could see liking both of those options and it could serve as a nice catbox by itself...but I also wanna know what she got, and if maybe it's the key to something.

Quote:
And the trick ending really makes Ange scaringly similar to Erika, so much that I wondered if it could be that Erika is merely another version of Ange.
I pondered on this a while ago, if any of you remember. But the manga really paints Ange as another Erika, down to poses and facial features. I a way, Erika does have the sad fate of being someone who simply crushes any truth that doesn't adhere to their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
Did Featherine really say all that, or was the last sentence for example one of those little lines they add at the end or start of chapters in manga magazines but remove them later in the tankoubons? Depending, I might need to rethink my take on how deep the connection between Featherine and Touya is...
The last line could very well be one that will be removed in the Tankôbon version, but we will have to check then.
The rest of it is all said by Featherine:
Spoiler for Chapter 35:

I think it is interesting that she is looking at both the scene where Ange decides to change her life and the scene where Ikuko leaves the conference, both from an outsider's perspective.

And then there is the golden rose that is featured now.
We are actually shown what this golden rose is made from at the beginning of the chapter:
Spoiler for Chapter 35:

The golden butterflies that all the pieces of the gameboard (including Battler) turn into are gathering and forming the golden rose. This rose is then taken by Featherine. But this is not the only thing she takes, because she is also shown to be still holding the key.

It is this rose then that she throws into the sea of oblivion. Following this we are shown one last page:
Spoiler for Chapter 35:

So yes, especially going by the characterization this chapter (and everything we know about her, including the damaged memory device) I'd say that, "Featherine using Ikuko as a vessel" is also indicative of Tohya using Ikuko as his voice to the outside world.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-22, 07:13   Link #34987
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
The way I read this scene, it is pretty much like that. I think it also hints at something that the actual Eva and the actual Battler decided upon in 1986, that would be why Battler is talking to EVA as if Ange was still her 6-year old self.
I think the rule that two people must stay behind to close the doors of the Golden Land is definitely connected to Battler and Eva both staying silent about the events of Rokkenjima. But I'm not sure whether Battler and Eva mutually agreed about it or even met after Kyrie's death, as I believe there was no mention of Battler's fate in Eva's diary or Ange would have learned about it when she opened the diary. It's possible that the diary entry ends at the point the EP7 Tea Party ends for some reason, right after Eva kills Kyrie, though. If they did meet, I can imagine them agreeing not to tell Ange anything, but then I wonder why they did not stay together and went their separate ways in the underground tunnel.

Quote:
Not yet. We are just shown a wrapped box approximately the size of a small PET-bottle (so it's not a huge doll ). In the Trick-ending she throws it into the sea when Amakusa questions her on it, in the Magic-ending she holds unto it.
Joke theory time! The present is Beato's pipe, so Ange can smoke the same stuff she does and continue the legacy of witches of a wild imagination!

Quote:
I pondered on this a while ago, if any of you remember. But the manga really paints Ange as another Erika, down to poses and facial features. I a way, Erika does have the sad fate of being someone who simply crushes any truth that doesn't adhere to their own.
One thing I noticed eventually was that Erika and Ange's hair style would be the same if Ange's pig tails were longer and the rest of her hair cut shorter. It might be intentional.

Quote:
Featherine in this sense would actually be an amalgamation of Hachijô Tôya and Hachijô Ikuko into "the author" who chronicles these events.

I think it is interesting that she is looking at both the scene where Ange decides to change her life and the scene where Ikuko leaves the conference, both from an outsider's perspective.

The golden butterflies that all the pieces of the gameboard (including Battler) turn into are gathering and forming the golden rose. This rose is then taken by Featherine. But this is not the only thing she takes, because she is also shown to be still holding the key.

So yes, especially going by the characterization this chapter (and everything we know about her, including the damaged memory device) I'd say that, "Featherine using Ikuko as a vessel" is also indicative of Tohya using Ikuko as his voice to the outside world.
After thinking about it a bit, I'll stick to my theory about to which degree Touya and Featherine are connected for a while. While I agree that Featherine being a combination of Touya and Ikuko is very possible, I came to think maybe it's wrong to assume there is a single Featherine in this story. What if the Featherine we see at the end of this chapter is not exactly the Featherine that acts inside the story, but a direct representative of Ryuukishi07?

I was really surprised to see that gentle expression on Featherine, when she usually appears more distant. You could say this stems from Touya, but it could be Ryuukishi looking back at his own creation instead.

Like this, those who will peek into your game will not die out completely. Those who will want to expose it just because the catbox cannot be opened will surely not cease to exist.
He did not fully explain absolutely everything, so there would still be room for theories about Umineko. Because there is no way for someone to prove their interpretation is absolutely correct or Ryuukishi to prove he isn't lying, there will always be someone looking for a different answer.

But if through this course there will emerge one who has truly understood the truth of your heart... In other words, if what you wished for will ever... At least you will be able to rest peacefully like this. Peacefully, at the deepest bottom of oblivion, you will surely be able to dream eternally.
As long as there is someone who truly understands the tale, Beatrice will be happy. Even when Umineko is eventually forgotten by the world, as long as someone understood, the story can rest in peace.

The golden rose might actually represent the tale of Umineko as a whole, given to us theatergoers by Ryuukishi-Featherine. The key could represent the final ???? with the truth about Hachijou Touya, that essentially acts as a key to unlock the actual story behind what happens in Umineko.

In addition to Ryuukishi-Featherine, who is the ultimate ruler over Ryuukishi's creations, there is a piece version of her on a lower plane who affects the story as Ikuko and can also appear in her witch form. To fit the theory that Featherine is a combination of Touya and Ikuko, perhaps they eventually became connected on the meta plane but weren't like that at first, as Featherine appears to have existed before Umineko's events.

While the memory device might double-function as a TIP to Touya's situation, I'm not sure if Lambdadelta is aware of Battler being alive as an amnesiac, but still she too knows about Featherine changing her personality and appearance at some point because of the memory device. Notice that it also says her appearance changed, which makes me think it's most likely connected to Hanyuu. Actually, if Hanyuu originally looked more like Featherine, her hair would be more similar to Rika's than Hanyuu's hair is. And if the horns were originally a memory device, it could also fit Kotohogushi-hen's futuristic ideas. Perhaps Ryuun-Ooku was actually the memory device?
Old 2015-03-22, 07:50   Link #34988
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Great stuff...very glad to see the trick ending incorporated in this manner.

I was a little disappointed about the "package" though. I've always liked to think the "hidden" prize for the Cake Quizzes out of all the various serious and gag gifts was the mass-produced stuffed animal of Sakutarou, as it nicely works in with the unidentified thing that Ange found in Episode 4 and would explain why she was carrying it here at the end as well.

The "two to close the doors" thing also nicely echoes the recurring theme that "it takes two to create a universe". I do like the apparent hint of possible collusion between Tohya/Ikuko and Eva that could be implied here. And I was pleased by how the red truth of Ange's death was answered much the way I had anticipated.

I'm really quite excited to learn how the rest wraps up now. What remaining questions will be answered, and which ones will remain sealed with the catbox? I'm really fine either way at this point, but I'd love to see a few more things resolved as we make this final part of this long journey.

Thanks for spending the time to share this, as always, Haguruma!

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-22, 10:39   Link #34989
Mali

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma
Do we really need to quote this interview a 20th time?
Ryukishi said this is the truth, he is revealing the truth through the manga. If you can't accept that, nobody here can help you with that.
It's a little dissapointing you answering me instead Yeah it's my problem not reading the manga.
Mali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-22, 12:27   Link #34990
jjblue1

Quote:
The two scenes are connected by a scene in what is likely the sea of fragments.
Spoiler for Chapter 35:

We have Ange with the Tokarev going to the right and Ange holding the present she got from Battler going to the left. Going by a completely non-magical explanation, we could also say that this is her waking up in the safety net. The next scene shows Ange quite bruised, lying in the safety net, a few stories below.

Guess Bern should have actually double-checked if really nobody could be saved by such a safety net. As always, her research was kinda lacking, being satisfied with having the Red that Ange dies.
Interesting how Ange in the manga jumped. In the VN she didn't. If I've to be honest I like more the idea she jumped.
They say when you're about to die your life flashes in front of you. In my mind what flashes in front of Ange as she jumped were instead her possibilities for her future.

But well, maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Maybe Battler and Eva had a disagrement when it was time to escape?
My pet theory is that Sayo was still alive but possibly wounded. Battler wanted to save her too but to carry with the a person with a bullet wound would lead to questions.
Battler decided to risk escaping with the motorboat with Sayo while the storm was still ongoing, while Eva decided to hide in Kuwadorian.
As they're close to the coast the boat capsized. Sayo's hurt so she can't swim and drown, Battler can't save her but somehow reaches the coast.
As Battler never showed up again Eva assumed he and Sayo died.
She's not sure though, she regrets forcing him to take such a decision and fears he might want revenge so she becomes paranoid.

Yes, I know in the scene in which Beato and Battler escaped it was implied they waited for the end of the storm but Ikuko found Battler while it was still storming.
Sure, it could be that the storm merely moved elsewhere but I wonder if we're meant to take the fact it's storming when he's found as a hint.
It would also be more likely for Ikuko to take care of him if when she started doing it she had no idea he could be Ushiromiya Battler and, if she were to find him prior to the incident becoming known this would be possible.

But well, it's just a pet theory.

Quote:
Now this gives us two ways to read it:
(1) Tohya sent this gift to Ange in an attempt to make her feel better about herself. She got it shortly before she went up the building, after reading Eva's diary, and she would hold unto it until shortly before arriving at Rokkenjima if that future were to come true.
(2) Ange actually did go to the meta-world the moment she jumped off the ledge of that rooftop and the present is the one magical item that the people of that world bestowed upon her.
I could see liking both of those options and it could serve as a nice catbox by itself...but I also wanna know what she got, and if maybe it's the key to something.
It'll be interesting if Tohya actually sent her either Confession or Twilight.
In the manga Ange somehow find out about Confession around the time of her jump so it would make sense if it was Confession but it would make sense also sending her Twilight as it's a tale written for Ange.

Quote:
Yes, they're scaringly similar, down to the fact they both use random English and are Bern's pieces. In Ep 4 we also saw how Ange forced negative interpretations on all Eva did and a thing I've always found interesting was how in Ep 4 Battler wanted to shock Ange's hand and she refused and in Ep 5 Erika wanted to shock Battler's hand and he refused. It's like they're opposite in some things, like their colours or the lenght of their hair. Ange sees Battler as playing with the golden witch and having forgotten her and lives this as some sort of rejection, Erika sees her boyfriend as a cheater and end up being rejected by him.
Ange wants Battler back so he'll take care of her, Erika wants to posses Battler.
Erika destroyed the candy trick in front of Maria, Ange denied Sakutarou.
Erika is definitely a more negative, more twisted version of Ange, a version that has no love whatsoever while Ange still has some. In a way Ange is in between Erika and Kotobuki Yukari.

Quote:
The last line could very well be one that will be removed in the Tankôbon version, but we will have to check then.
The rest of it is all said by Featherine:
Spoiler for Chapter 35:

And then there is the golden rose that is featured now.
We are actually shown what this golden rose is made from at the beginning of the chapter:
Spoiler for Chapter 35:

It is this rose then that she throws into the sea of oblivion. Following this we are shown one last page:
Spoiler for Chapter 35:

I know that that line is in the VN. I'm sure because I puzzled over it in the past as Twilight was told to be a tale dedicated to Ange but that line seems to imply it's dedicated to Beatrice.
Only I can't find it anymore so maybe it was in another point?
I saw that the manga switched a bit the order of the scenes so as to make them work better so it can be I've to search some other place...

Of course this doesn't mean to insure that line will be left there when the manga will be printed into volumes but I'll say it's canon enough.

Quote:
Bern contacted Featherine with a letter that was an extra TIP. The recipient's name isn't given, but it heavily implies Featherine. But you now reminded me of Bern's meeting with Featherine at the end of EP6, where she was surprised that Featherine had indeed revived. It makes me think Bern found Beatrice's game, sent Featherine the letter and got involved on her own. Featherine revived and got involved on her own as well, and meets her former miko only after EP6.
You mean "Bern's letter" in Tsubasa?
Honestly I'm never too sure how to take the Tsubasa tips. Some of them are clearly AU that couldn't have happened in the Umineko setting but that still offer us points to ponder so we can understand Umineko better so I think they're important... only I don't know what to dow ith them canon-wise.

Apparently "Bern's letter" was written in August 2008 so when Banquet was released. My perplexity with Bern's letter is that the way she speaks to her "beloved friend" somehow doesn't match with her relationship with Featherine but as Featherine officially showed up in Dawn it can be that their relationship was merely changed a bit... or that the letter was reconned... or we'll never know what.

But yes, if we take Bern's letter and assume it was directed to Featherine it seems it was Bern who purposefully involved Featherine... which doesn't seem to match with Featherine's stance in Ep 6... but Bern doesn't seem to have other people she could consider friends... (unless they merely weren't shown or were retconned away)...

LOL, it's sort of a mess.

Quote:
I just thought that because the cat Bern was always with Touya and Ikuko, that Bernkastel was involved with Touya from the beginning. Or more importantly the Tanabata extra TIP where she told Ange to never trust Eva if she wanted any of her family to return again and promised to look for that fragment made me think perhaps she knew Battler survived and was preparing Ange for their meeting. But maybe Bern did not know about Battler's survival and her promise was indeed about searching for a happy fragment for another Ange as Lambdadelta implied.
Well, the witches seem to be in a timeless dimension and capable to travel through time. I would consider that meeting as Bern preparing Ange in order to become her piece, more than her preparing Ange for a possible meeting (later Bern will say she couldn't find a fragment in which Ange could meet Battler, after all). Bern manipulated Ange through and through.

Quote:
If Bernkastel did not find the fragment where Battler survived for Featherine, it implies either that Ikuko found Touya by pure coincidence or she just doesn't need Bern to do it for her because she's the creator. While my earlier theory kind of avoided it, I do prefer an interpretation where there is a single Prime fragment where Touya exists, and all the other fragments about the Rokkenjima incident are its branches, fragments within a fragment. It fits with the statement that Bernkastel moved to a bigger catbox to find Lion, which would be a fragment outside Prime's influence.
Hum... this make me wonder something about your theory. When I first read it I assumed when you said that
Quote:
Featherine descends on this fragment as Hachijou Ikuko
Ikuko was just a human who was granted power by Featherine, same as Takano was granted power by Lambda... but maybe you mean Ikuko is nothing else but Featherine in disguise in the human world?

For Ikuko to find Battler can look like a 'coincidence' but actually if currents works a certain way it makes sense that Battler, Confession, and possibly even more bottles that Sayo tossed in the sea, ended up near Ikuko's house because that destination would have higher possibilities of being reached for them.

LOL, Ep 8 even hints at currents when Tohya points out, after reading Ikuko's work that she should have explained how currents work a little better.

So to us it might look as a 'coincidence' when actually it's merely the result with the higher possibility to happen.

Quote:
I was going more by the visual novel only with my theory, though I mentioned Confession too. Because there were no hints to Confession's existence in the visual novel, I thought Ikuko using her own theory based on Legend and Turn would provide for that knowledge. Also, because Featherine wanted an answer check from EP7, I figured she probably had her own theory at some point.
Yes, in a way the existence of Confession threw up the air a lot of my theories as well. Because Confession exists it would be weird not to read it but once one read it, he can't anymore be someone who wonders about the solution and is trying to reach it. He knows the solution.

Quote:
I agree I might have given Ikuko too much credit, but I think it might be plausible to think that after Touya gave most of the ideas for the plot, Ikuko changed some things around so they would fit with her theory or Confession of the Golden Witch, maintaining the true essence of Beatrice in the forgeries. This is why they are presented as Beatrice's games. As Battler resolved to solve the game with his own strength, I believe he either refused to hear Ikuko's theory or read Confession or he couldn't, because it caused him pain if he was exposed to too much truth at once. Then the games would actually be like therapy to him.
Honestly I don't know. I won't deny the possibility, after all we don't even know how the forgeries look... but well, as Ryukishi said, when he worked on Umineko he paid special care to who was the culprit. If Tohya worked on the forgeries without even knowing that muc,h his contribute seems to be really small and he can't even retcon mistakes while reading them because he wouldn't know if they're hint or something.
Of course it's entirely possible that he's actually not involved in writing the forgeries but that he only reads them and didn't solve them till Ep 5. The first tale Ikuko handed him reminded me of Umineko so it can be it's a hint that Tohya is merely a reader in this case.

Quote:
I also think you're mistaken about Lambda's role/aim/purpose. Lambdadelta herself is not Sayo, she is not personally invested in revenge towards Natsuhi. Her main purpose is to play with Bern, but she said he put in lots of extra hints for Battler to understand Beato. So her role is another waypoint in understanding Beatrice, basically, which would fit as Ikuko's motivation as well. Play with the witch hunter community, leave extra hints for Touya.
Ops, sorry, I've explained myself poorly. What I mean to say is that the first two games Itouikukuro wrote were written with love and matched Beato's intention... but all of sudden Ep 5 would be written without it (matching Lambda's personality as I think that she, in Sayo's place, would have gone for that, a game of revenge).
In short Lambda made a game that, even though worked the same way as Beatrice, didn't contain the same spirit, her heart and while her game offered additional hints about how things worked, it basically went farther from the solution as the motive.

Hum... I'll try to summarize my problem so that instead that discussing bits we can get a general picture.

Your theory confuses me on how the forgeries would have birth.

As Ryukishi said in order for him to write Umineko he took special care into designing Sayo, her inner workings and development.
In order to do so Ryukishi had to know the truth (or better decide about it as to him Sayo is only a character).
As a result I think that whoever wrote Ep 3 and the following had to know the truth as well.
You said
Quote:
Ikuko wants to check her own answer now
which implies Ikuko doesn't know the answers meaning she hasn't read Confession because in Confession all the answers are given.
The same goes for Tohya who in your theory reaches the truth only after reading Ep 5.
Now, let's assume that she merely used Ep 1 & 2 as a basis and her theories to build up Ep 3-5.
However her forgeries contain a lot of hints to the truth that she couldn't have known if she hadn't known the truth as well as the right culprit, the right method and the right motive.
This is a little more than theory making, is perfectly guessing facts you had no way of knowing.

So, as I said, I feel I'm probably misunderstanding something in your theory.
It might be I'm missing a transition between the meta and prime as your Ikuko seems to move between them... but if she's merely dropping in the meta and copying Beatrice and Lambda's games for her forgeries she doesn't need Tohya's help for them.

Quote:
I don't like this, really. It makes the Hachijous sound dishonest. Why would they of all people find two more true message bottles anyway? Isn't just finding both an amnesiac Battler and Confession too convenient already?
The Hachijo aren't really releasing the forgeries under their name. At the same time they might not want some extra publicity about them finding the forgeries. Beato wanted her heart to be understood and in Ep 8 she laments how Land got lost so she wanted her tales to be known.
So I don't think they're really doing a mean thing by letting others read the messages. And, as said before, if the currents of the sea tend to push things from Rokkenjima to a place close to where Hachijo lives yes, it's convenient but is also not surprising.
Also, the nickname who leads to them might be merely because Ikuko hoped that this would lead Ange to them. It's said she wanted Ange and Tohya to meet and that Ange got interested in Tohya due to the forgeries and that the meeting didn't take place merely because Tohya wasn't up to it yet so the nickname might not be the Hachijos trying to take credit for something they didn't write but Ikuko trying to help Ange to find her brother in a subtle way.

Quote:
I also noticed an interesting thing about Virgilia. She is the one who guides Battler in purgatory towards Beatrice. She gives him hints on how to think and provides some red truths as well. In Prime, who would take on this role? Ikuko, of course, who bases this knowledge on Sayo's confession. There are hints towards this as well. She first appears in EP3, the first game that is not actually written by Sayo. In EP6, we learn that Virgilia knows Featherine. In EP7, only Battler and Virgilia are in the chapel as Battler lays the story he wrote for Beatrice in her coffin. Battler and Virgilia = Touya and Ikuko?
LOL, I suspected Ikuko being Virgilia as well! Let's see if the manga will give us more hints about this!
Old 2015-03-22, 14:59   Link #34991
Inbuiltx9

Awful disgusting and disturbing solution! NO WONDER RYUKISHI WOULNDT DIRECTLY REVEAL IT! the following text should not be read by anyone under 18 please!

Kind of like a disclaimer now: Im not a pervert and Im not a sadist XD I really thought about it a long time if I should even write down the following points cause I find them pretty…terrible. For whatever reason – I still decided to post it. The locked-room and the battler is-older-than-18-theories are pretty much confirmed by the following. If you didnt read how I came to the conclusion - Ive written it down in recent posts. Either Im completely wrong – but I find this hard to believe since everything fits now, or what really happened in prime is kind of…awful.

I havent had access to internet the last two days so I wrote this text offline – that means I still have to read other comments that were sent before I wrote this post,I especially still wanted to take a look at the higurashi-meta-solution by bluemail because this theory could actually fill in the last open questions. I thought about what I wrote before, and though there are still some things that I must leave open (maybe only until I take a look at the other meta-theories), I think that if I give it some more thoughts, this will lead to a “satisfying” (not at all!!!) solution.

I stick to the following points I already explained in the previous posts:
-Battler was locked in a room by beato in prime
-Beato died while he was locked in
-afterwards Battler spent years in the room

The rest I mentioned before still holds true more or less. I still think beato did it partly to help battler, beato didn’t know what happened to him in the room after she died, and the meta is probably a world of thought (but not just a delusion, if the “higurashi-theory” is correct)

The following shows Im probably right.

We were asking ourselves how beato died. And I thought she might have died of blood-loss. This is most probably wrong. Because its clearly stated in umineko who killed beato- for that we have the whole 7th episode -the result was: Only the one who created Beato could have killed her. It was not kyrie, not eva, nobody but “Sayo” herself. There is also a big hint we all probably didn’t pay much attention to:

In episode 4, once Battler says - as an answer to Beatos test - that he absolutely cant remember anything about a sin, in the VN there are two beatos who talk to each other. The first one is giving up and the other one is taking on the job. While the first one seems to be on the verge of tears and lets the 2nd beato take over, the 2nd beato is far more cruel – she immediately burns kinzo alive and threatens all the other furniture. Shes achieving her goal in a much rougher way – or better: has given up on the original goal to make battler remember.

So in prime, beato spent the whole second day questioning battler and asking him to solve her riddle, but he cant do it (partly thanks to the alcohol:S). Since they say the time limit is 24h the second day, I assume that this is the point when beato is killed by “sayo”. If yet another “beato” (the second more cruel one) takes over, or if it is the true yasu-personality, I cant say. But Sayo surely gave up on the identity of the original beato. From this point on Beato is dead. What happens to battler afterwards, she doesnt know. In any case, this dead beato enters the meta now.

First things first:
-Episode 6 is a big clue. After Battler got the ring by Erika, he is only a “puppet” and his mind is locked in the creepy room where he once again experiences the things he previously experienced, just slightly different.

How to say it: The meta is the same. Battler in the meta experiences what he experienced in prime,just slightly different. I already said that everything that happens in the meta is hinting at prime (the tests, beato dying, eva surviving,…). Its really not much different from alice in wonderland after all.

-So after battlers soul is locked up by Erika after getting the ring, he cant control his body at all anymore and finds himself in some crazy room he has no memories about how he got there.
The meta starts the same – battler has no memories about how he got there, hes only a "spirit body" there (=just the soul) and he completely forgot everything that happened in prime. Afterwards he re-experiences everything in the meta, just as he re-experiences everything that happened before in the creepy room in ep 6.

-battler can get out of the meta-world (bern&Ryhkishi) once he shows that he understood everything about beatos heart. So the meta-world battler is in is keeping battlers mind locked up, and once he proves he understood everything he can get out of the meta -just like in ep 6 battler is locked in the creepy room, and he can get out of the creepy room once the kanon/Shannon-trick was shown.

-battler can get back to his body once he solves beatos riddle in the meta. And in prime at that time, he will also be let out of the room he is locked in. Before I was wondering about who it was that would let him out – genji? Ikuko?, its sayo that lets him out, just like its sayo in form of kanon who lets battler out in ep 6.

And here comes the really baaaad part I really have a problem with to even write down. Im not taking responsibility for it! – the story is just written that way that I have to come to this conclusion.

Everything in meta is a re-experience of prime.

battlers mind and soul are separated in ep 6, and something similar happened in prime. Battler CAN make it back alive in prime, but he first has to get out of the meta-world. Erika before the marriage: “if you want to do anything about it, please get yourself out of your locked room (=meta-world – that’s where his mind is confined) first.”

Beato wants battler to win in the meta by making him solve the puzzle of her heart, and not by just denying witches, because she wants to help him to get back (well partly at least, she also sometimes shows her hatred for him)

He did it in the end and he could come back to his body, but that all just happened years later, just like he spent years in the locked room in ep 6 before the riddle was solved.

Ok, and now the question: how did it come to the point that battlers mind and body are separated in prime? A: That probably happened because of a kind of trauma. we can only assume that something similar happened as shown in ep 6.

Now, what I completely neglected were the events of the marriage itself – this one too has to have a correspondent event in prime.

Erika says something like: “Im gonna lock up your body, mind and soul with this ring and you will be a living doll, Im not even gonna let you die”. That is probably what happened in prime too – something happened that caused battlers mind to be locked up in the meta-world, while his body still lived on in prime, and Sayo didn’t let his "body" die, even though battlers “heart already died” (ep 6). So at this point battler is pretty much dead (although technically hes still alive).

his heart “died” once this something happened , just like his heart died once he got the ring by Erika in ep6. he enters meta in prime <-> he enters the creepy room in ep 6- he re-experiences everything in the meta <-> he re-experiences everything in the creepy room. There are tons of parallels.

In prime, while the years passed, battlers body got older while his mind stayed young in the meta – that results in the discrepance touya later notices when he meets ikuko.

Here comes, I don’t want to go on writing now XD

Again – what is the “trauma”? Must be something similar to what happened in ep 6. Now I really do not want to spell it out, but whoever has seen the scene with the ring in ep 6 cant tell me he didn’t feel the HEAVY sexual implications this had. I mean the manga even drew the pictures accordingly. this is NOT me being a pervert or something, Im just a normal adult that happens to think like this once something like that is shown. It’s a perfectly normal – and I assume intended – association. If someone is putting saliva on something to make something “stick in” more easily, I cant help but think we’re talking about something completely different here, not just a ring and a finger. I don’t want to spell it out. there exists a torture device, a ring, that does exactly that and works in the way erika described it in the wedding. it looks like the ring erika gives him with the spikes on the inside and also looks something like the "ring" in the picture we see in manga ep 4 of the room under the kuwadorian, and in reality its fastened with a screw, the same way as erika uses the diamond of the ring to drive the spikes into his finger. if you want to know, google it and imagine the rest yourself please…i wont describe it any more...

In ep 6 its said, the “curse” that hurts him would hurt him forever, but at the same time, the "ring" would take away his heart that would allow him to understand the pain – thats just the same as what happened in prime. His mind was “locked up” in the meta-world after “getting the ring” and his body kept on living in the normal world. In any case, this “ring” is the cause that body and mind separated – its the same for ep 6 as it is for prime. In ep 6 its a wedding ring, in prime its the xxx ring.
the comment about him screaming after he got the ring from erika and noone hearing him is referrring to prime when there is noone but sayo and him on the island at that time, so noone hears him...
After that, probably something similar happened in Prime as Erika threatened him with before she gave him the ring. because part of erikas prediction definitely came true - in prime battler did indeed "live" on the same way erika sad he would "live" afterwards. after the ring battlers mind is already in the meta-world, so he really is kinda like a puppet then.

After he solved the puzzle in the meta-world, he could leave this world and go back to his body and finally leave the room under the kuwadorian.

With these kind of memories, no wonder Touya coulndt accept them and was afraid of becoming "battler" again...Again: Id rather not think so, but the sexual connotations were so striking and everthing matched, we also find the real life evidence that looks and works EXACTLY the same!! I couldnt think otherwise...

Heres what I still have to think about:

Probably after he solved the riddle, beato somehow “revives” in sayo, just as she revives in ep 6.
Might be that the “we” touya later refers to when he talks about how he got away from the island really is sayo and battler, and she led him to this place after she let him out of the room.
He wants to take her with himself, but she doesn’t allow herself to go with him, we know the rest.

OR: this scene never happened and it was just the ending battler wrote. touya confuses the memories of the meta where battler wrote this with what happened in real life and there was some other way he got off the island. and now, once again, we have suspect no 1 ikuko. theres something wrong with her. maybe she didnt even "find" the confessions-bottle. theres also something off with the car-accident. she must also be more or less the same age when they meet for the first time -just barely marriagable. So there we have the question again-who is ikuko? Im even not excluding the possibility that she in fact IS sayo. but Id need to look for more hints first.

The magic ending with battler and beato we see is still the magic ending battler thought of, as it takes place in 1986, and both of them look still the same, so either: its a decoration of truth, that battler wrote or: its a fantasy battler wrote that has no tie to reality at all.

I still don’t know from what point on battler is becoming touya. for reasons,Im almost inclined to say once he “dies” in 1986 thanks to the ring, battler really is dead and he becomes touya once he manages to solve the riddle in the meta and can get out. but its also possible that it really was battler that made it out alive and just the accident with the boat made him finally lose all his memories and become touya. but if that were so, then why does battler talk of himself in ep 8 as “dead” if at that point in time he will still make it out alive? - (the meta ends before he makes it out of the locked room)
I also have to ask who Ange is in the meta- but I think we can solve that with the higurashi-theory the meta is not just a delusion but really a world you have access to if you “die” or are just at the point of dying or something like that.ange probably really met battler in the meta - she as the 18 year old ange, battler as the 18 year old battler, and battler in ep 8 knows he already "died" in the locked room so he says he doesnt exist in the future. Like I said , with the rest, Ill still have to think about it, but I don’t doubt that this will be solvable as well.

So its Ikuko=Sayo after all?

So right now i think it goes like that: battler in the meta wrote the dawn-ending for beato, so they could make it both out alive in a world of 1986, where nothing related to the locked room happened. beato doesnt want that - she wants battler to go back to his body and to prime and to live like a human, and her world is the world of the witches and the dead. That would mean that beato never revived in prime even after battler solved the riddle, cause she is already dead. then in this world battler wanted to create for both of them, she rejected this world and commited suicide.
here we have kanon ep 6 kind of pleading comment to battler after having saved him from the locked room: "will you not go back?". this comment doesnt make much sense in the context it is said, so it probably refers to this.
but battler didnt want to let her die alone. he drowned with her, and only a soul who lost all his memories made it back to battlers body. this person confuses later on meta and what happened in real life. since beato never revived, someone else must have helped him out - and here we have ikuko again...ikuko might even be the personality of sayo that takes over when beato died in 1986. that would explain why she isnt married, because she already considers herself married, and also why she has no contact to her family. also why she lives in a mansion with the view to the sea- shed have to travel from there to rokkenjima on a regular basis...it also explains other coincidences...then battler/touya would live together with one hell of a screwed up woman - what a happy ending...this would make berns red truth even come true, that the story would not end well, cause that would be a **** ending!!! ikuko would have carried him off the island in a boat, which would be a similar situation to what happened with kinzo and beatrice. and that would explain the rabbits comment that battler is "playing the role of the bride" (ep6), and it also fits with the "kinzo(=beato) is having fun with beatrice(=battler) in the torture-room" (ep 4 krauss) well, this last paragraph might still be revised.

Last edited by Inbuiltx9; 2015-03-22 at 19:46.
Inbuiltx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-22, 15:04   Link #34992
Lombardest

Hmm I thought they would show more hints regarding the symbolism of the Capital of Books's battle, I've always assumed that was Ange interrupting the conference and then leaving/getting kicked out.
Lombardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-22, 16:10   Link #34993
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mali View Post
It's a little dissapointing you answering me instead Yeah it's my problem not reading the manga.
Sorry I didn't answer you personally, but haguruma essentially said what I would have. If you haven't read the manga, it's understandable you would argue against it. But in the EP8 manga there is a new message bottle called Confession of the Golden Witch that confirms that Sayo is Beatrice, giving answers regarding her motive and the murder methods.

Quote:
Interesting how Ange in the manga jumped. In the VN she didn't. If I've to be honest I like more the idea she jumped.
They say when you're about to die your life flashes in front of you. In my mind what flashes in front of Ange as she jumped were instead her possibilities for her future.
I didn't even notice that Ange jumped when I first read through haguruma's translation. I guess it's a bit hard when you don't have images. That's an interesting change. At least it takes back the impossibility of Ange's other adventures, but takes some weight away from Bernkastel's words.

Quote:
Maybe Battler and Eva had a disagrement when it was time to escape?
My pet theory is that Sayo was still alive but possibly wounded. Battler wanted to save her too but to carry with the a person with a bullet wound would lead to questions.
Battler decided to risk escaping with the motorboat with Sayo while the storm was still ongoing, while Eva decided to hide in Kuwadorian.
As they're close to the coast the boat capsized. Sayo's hurt so she can't swim and drown, Battler can't save her but somehow reaches the coast.
As Battler never showed up again Eva assumed he and Sayo died.
She's not sure though, she regrets forcing him to take such a decision and fears he might want revenge so she becomes paranoid.
That's a good theory! Our lovable idiot Battler braves the storm to save Beatrice, while Eva doesn't want that risk and goes to Kuwadorian instead. It pleases my dramatic sense. I still wonder why Eva didn't write anything about this in her diary, though. If reading it would reveal most of the bad stuff anyway, why not go all the way and tell the rest of it?

Quote:
It'll be interesting if Tohya actually sent her either Confession or Twilight.
In the manga Ange somehow find out about Confession around the time of her jump so it would make sense if it was Confession but it would make sense also sending her Twilight as it's a tale written for Ange.
While I like the idea of it being one of those stories, it looks like they might not fit in the package, at least if they used paper similar to the message bottles. Battler also says the gift is from Kinzou. It is the same package that Battler places next to Ange when he brings her to the parlor to sleep in chapter 9, right? Can you confirm that, haguruma?

Quote:
You mean "Bern's letter" in Tsubasa?
Honestly I'm never too sure how to take the Tsubasa tips. Some of them are clearly AU that couldn't have happened in the Umineko setting but that still offer us points to ponder so we can understand Umineko better so I think they're important... only I don't know what to dow ith them canon-wise.
I wouldn't say they are all canon either, exactly, but most of them do connect to the main story somehow, so they are not called TIPS for nothing. For example, Memoirs of Lambdadelta is confirmed as canon as it basically happens in Confession of the Golden Witch. Then there is Jessica's Mother's Day Present where it is revealed that Natsuhi got to give birth to Jessica in exchange for the headaches in a deal with Zepar and Furfur. I think in terms of what actually happened Natsuhi's headaches are a result of the supressed memory of causing Lion's accident. Natsuhi was only able to give birth to a child of her own by abandoning the unknown child entrusted to her. Jessica does exist as Lion's little sister too, however, so my interpretation might be a little off. But basically little things like that can be inferred from the extra TIPS.

Quote:
Apparently "Bern's letter" was written in August 2008 so when Banquet was released. My perplexity with Bern's letter is that the way she speaks to her "beloved friend" somehow doesn't match with her relationship with Featherine but as Featherine officially showed up in Dawn it can be that their relationship was merely changed a bit... or that the letter was reconned... or we'll never know what.

But yes, if we take Bern's letter and assume it was directed to Featherine it seems it was Bern who purposefully involved Featherine... which doesn't seem to match with Featherine's stance in Ep 6... but Bern doesn't seem to have other people she could consider friends... (unless they merely weren't shown or were retconned away)...

LOL, it's sort of a mess.
It would match with Hanyuu, while Bern and Featherine on the other hand appear to have some kind of love-hate relationship. They enjoy drinking tea as fellow monsters at least. I agree it's a little confusing. Perhaps Ryuukishi intended Featherine's personality to be more in line with Hanyuu originally? Or, as Bernkastel says she has exactly zero friends in EP8, she isn't writing letters to anyone in particular.

Quote:
Well, the witches seem to be in a timeless dimension and capable to travel through time. I would consider that meeting as Bern preparing Ange in order to become her piece, more than her preparing Ange for a possible meeting (later Bern will say she couldn't find a fragment in which Ange could meet Battler, after all). Bern manipulated Ange through and through.
Yes, Bern preparing Ange to become her piece was my original idea too before I thought about the possibility of her knowing Battler survived. Well, as she says she didn't find a fragment where Battler survived, she probably doesn't count Touya as a surviving Battler either, which isn't exactly a lie.

Quote:
Hum... this make me wonder something about your theory. When I first read it I assumed when you said that

Ikuko was just a human who was granted power by Featherine, same as Takano was granted power by Lambda... but maybe you mean Ikuko is nothing else but Featherine in disguise in the human world?
Yes, you got it. I actually meant that Ikuko is Featherine herself and not a piece.

Quote:
For Ikuko to find Battler can look like a 'coincidence' but actually if currents works a certain way it makes sense that Battler, Confession, and possibly even more bottles that Sayo tossed in the sea, ended up near Ikuko's house because that destination would have higher possibilities of being reached for them.

LOL, Ep 8 even hints at currents when Tohya points out, after reading Ikuko's work that she should have explained how currents work a little better.

So to us it might look as a 'coincidence' when actually it's merely the result with the higher possibility to happen.
The thing about ocean currents does kind of sound like Ryuukishi regrets not explaining about ocean currents in relation to Rokkenjima, which could have given people ideas about where the message bottles went, how someone might have survived etc. However, Beatrice actually says that only two of her message bottles reached the shore in EP8. Also, it definitely appears that the majority thinks Itouikukuro Reigonamu wrote the forgeries instead of them being thought of as actual message bottles, so my point about dishonesty stands. Well, Ikuko and Touya could have tried to tell that they're actual message bottles but no one believed them, so it might not be their fault. But I think Beatrice would know if Banquet and Alliance reached the shore in addition to Legend and Turn.

Quote:
Honestly I don't know. I won't deny the possibility, after all we don't even know how the forgeries look... but well, as Ryukishi said, when he worked on Umineko he paid special care to who was the culprit. If Tohya worked on the forgeries without even knowing that muc,h his contribute seems to be really small and he can't even retcon mistakes while reading them because he wouldn't know if they're hint or something.
Of course it's entirely possible that he's actually not involved in writing the forgeries but that he only reads them and didn't solve them till Ep 5. The first tale Ikuko handed him reminded me of Umineko so it can be it's a hint that Tohya is merely a reader in this case.
Ikuko says that the man that appeared in the book-signing event instead of her was "a scapegoat arranged by my editor". This might not actually mean anything, but what if Touya's role in writing the stories was similar to that of an editor?

The final form of the forgery was probably decided by Ikuko, as she actually wrote everything down and could add her own flavors and hints. Touya probably contributed a lot to the work with an insider perspective, will to explore the good sides of his family and alternate theories Ikuko already having reached the truth couldn't provide.

Quote:
So, as I said, I feel I'm probably misunderstanding something in your theory.
It might be I'm missing a transition between the meta and prime as your Ikuko seems to move between them... but if she's merely dropping in the meta and copying Beatrice and Lambda's games for her forgeries she doesn't need Tohya's help for them.
Perhaps you are not misunderstanding as much as you think, but my theory just is as confusing as it sounds. It seems to be in constant progress, and I already got better ideas answering your post just now. Umineko just keeps throwing my thinking around, it's incredible like that.

Now I believe Ikuko reading Confession makes more sense than she not reading it. In EP6 Ikuko says that she is confident that she has reached the truth because she has "completely understood all the stories". Just because she reads Confession doesn't mean she has reached the truth, she also has to understand all the stories as she said. Ikuko read Legend and Turn first and created theories about them. After Ikuko found Confession and read it, she went back to Legend and Turn, understood how everything connected together and became someone capable of creating forgeries in Beatrice's name and using the red truth. Touya didn't read Confession, either because he wanted to solve it himself or because it would cause him physical harm.

EP5's creation is still a bit weird. You could think of it as purely Lambdadelta's creation in the meta world, but Ange claims to have read an End of the Golden Witch written by Itouikukuro. Is it indeed Ikuko peeking into the meta world and writing down Lambda and Bern's game? I like to believe Lambdadelta and Bernkastel can act autonomously from Featherine, but could it be that everything is controlled by Ikuko's thought processes when writing End so that the meta world version ends up following? Which would make EP5 a result of Featherine actively using her power as the creator. In the end everything is basically written by Featherine, but the creation of End would be the only point where this is apparent in addition to Lambda's death, which is a bit strange. You could call it cheating too. Can you understand what I'm getting at?

Quote:
LOL, I suspected Ikuko being Virgilia as well! Let's see if the manga will give us more hints about this!
I have also suspected that Virgilia could be a higher witch than one would expect for some time now. Perhaps she is actually born from the Virgilius of Divina Commedia and possibly a voyager witch? Or because she was also called Beatrice at one point, maybe she represents the Divina Commedia as a whole?
Old 2015-03-22, 17:42   Link #34994
Leslie Chow

Concerning the future world, here are some questions I would like to ask:

So does this mean that in the manga, the trick ending still happened but in a different timeline?

So pretty much there are multiple Anges?

Then as Ange made her choice, she saw it as she followed the magic ending route? Does this mean that the Ange that Amakusa talked to not becoming a child soldier is the Ange that headed for the trick ending? Then the Ange that chose the magic ending is another Ange that was holding Battler's gift? The one that fell on the safety net and survived.

Either way does this mean that Ange definitely dies in 1998 where in the trick timeline she was more or less missing and could have possibly died through some unknown means (e.g. died of starvation, lost at sea, or even went at Rokkenjima and got killed by her aunt and the Yakuza) and in the magic timeline, through Okonogi's help, she was able to fake her death in the same way that Okonogi faked Takano Miyo's death?

Also, does the event where Ikuko trolls everyone by revealing the truth takes place in both timelines AFTER Ange faked her death (magic timeline) or really died (trick timeline). Because it seems to me that after Ange read Eva's diary, she died, either on the building (magic timeline) or at sea (trick timeline). Then afterwards, the nurse collected the diary and had it sent to Ikuko. When would Ange in the real world would have read CotGW?

Quote:
Yes, you got it. I actually meant that Ikuko is Featherine herself and not a piece.
If this is the case, then this would account as to why Ikuko was able to say red truth in the real world, since red truth is apparently a witch's words in the VN when Ange read Eva's diary.

Quote:
Ikuko says that the man that appeared in the book-signing event instead of her was "a scapegoat arranged by my editor". This might not actually mean anything, but what if Touya's role in writing the stories was similar to that of an editor?
If I remember correctly, it was Tohya who gave ideas and Ikuko was the one who used her writing skills.

Concerning Ange and Erika:

Could it be that the real Erika Furudo is not actually a mystery fan? Could the Erika we know be a sort of avatar of Ange's to try and solve the forgeries? Yes, Erika is Bernkastel's piece, but is it possible that in the meta-sense, Erika and Ange could have been perceived as separate but on one body? Could it be that at some point after Ange killed her fantasy friends, she took it upon herself to try and solve some forgeries using Knox's Decalogue? Could Dlanor be a sort of replacement for Mammon, with Ange going from fantasy to mystery? Because it seems like after killing her imaginary friends is when she stopped believing in fantasy, which is similar to Erika in the sense that they don't believe in magic. Also, in EP6, Erika literally called Dlanor PAPER, which could mean that Dlanor is a piece of paper (or if Ange is somewhat connected to Erika a page in the grimoire) in which Knox's Decalogue is written on it?

Last edited by Leslie Chow; 2015-03-22 at 18:01.
Old 2015-03-22, 19:05   Link #34995
jjblue1

Quote:
I didn't even notice that Ange jumped when I first read through haguruma's translation. I guess it's a bit hard when you don't have images. That's an interesting change. At least it takes back the impossibility of Ange's other adventures, but takes some weight away from Bernkastel's words.
LOL, honestly I've sort of missed it as well.
This bit made me wonder...

Quote:
The safety-net...
I...read the Book of the One Truth...
fell into despair...
and threw myself off there...
My beaten and broken heart was saved by all of them...
....ouuuch...!
Of course, I'm not fine at all.
I still have luck like a witch of miracles.
But since in the VN it didn't happen I thought I was reading too much into this... Haguruma confirmed the manga showed Ange ended up jumping as he said

Quote:
Going by a completely non-magical explanation, we could also say that this is her waking up in the safety net. The next scene shows Ange quite bruised, lying in the safety net, a few stories below.

And to be honest... really Bern, they do safety net for a reason. Of course they might not always work but theoretically they should have a higher chance to work than one to fail.

Quote:
That's a good theory! Our lovable idiot Battler braves the storm to save Beatrice, while Eva doesn't want that risk and goes to Kuwadorian instead. It pleases my dramatic sense. I still wonder why Eva didn't write anything about this in her diary, though. If reading it would reveal most of the bad stuff anyway, why not go all the way and tell the rest of it?
Well, I've always thought the diary would be a little self absolving.
In the diary she can write that Natsuhi was killed by incident and the same happened to Krauss and that she got rid of Kyrie and Rudolf because they were murderers who tried to kill her and would have tried to do so again so she's sort of telling herself it was self defence and she blasted the island away because she didn't want Ange to find out the horrible stuffs her parents did but if she forced Battler to leave the island while there was a storm because she refused to take Sayo with them and they didn't make it... then it's murder without any excuse.

It would tie nicely with Ep 3 in which Eva shot Battler.

She would have forced him to take a decision that, she knew, was suicidal, and all to cover up her own crime. She might have told him 'if we carry with us a girl that has a bullet wound we won't be able to cover this anymore and your sister will know what your parents did' and he might have agreed that in order to cover up things he would have to find another way to bring Sayo to safety and therefore we'll have them agreeing to keep everything hidden and 'closing the door' but well... I think she would have known that the other way was so dangerous it was almost suicide and that covering up the truth for Ange wouldn't be worth her brother's life.

In "10 little indians" one of the murderers is considered a murderer because during war he sent a man in a mission from which he couldn't possibly return alive. When he ends up on the island he's old and he's sort of paranoid. It fits with Eva even if she ended up much worse than this.
Ange's accusation she was a murderer she would have stuck even harder due to this.

But well, again I'm theorizing.

Quote:
While I like the idea of it being one of those stories, it looks like they might not fit in the package, at least if they used paper similar to the message bottles. Battler also says the gift is from Kinzou. It is the same package that Battler places next to Ange when he brings her to the parlor to sleep in chapter 9, right? Can you confirm that, haguruma?
Well, Haguruma said the package is of the size of
Quote:
a small PET-bottle
so yes, it should be smaller than the bottle in which Confession was.
Of course it can be that Tohya actually didn't put it in the same type of bottle Sayo used but on... let's say a tape in a small tape recorder.
Confession would fit as a present because in the meta when Ange jumped she had it but Twilight would as well because I'd like it if Ange got the chance to read it... even if it could entirely be that everything happened in her mind.

But yes, technically the present should be from Kinzo. It would be interesting though if like Sayo disguised herself as Maria, Tohya, when sending Ange that present, disguised himself as Kinzo, whom he resembled really a lot, especially in his Tohya form.
In a way that could have put Ange over the edge litterally as getting a present from your deceased grandfather (in Ange's time they know that Kinzo died in 1984) might upset you...

Quote:
I wouldn't say they are all canon either, exactly, but most of them do connect to the main story somehow, so they are not called TIPS for nothing. For example, Memoirs of Lambdadelta is confirmed as canon as it basically happens in Confession of the Golden Witch. Then there is Jessica's Mother's Day Present where it is revealed that Natsuhi got to give birth to Jessica in exchange for the headaches in a deal with Zepar and Furfur. I think in terms of what actually happened Natsuhi's headaches are a result of the supressed memory of causing Lion's accident. Natsuhi was only able to give birth to a child of her own by abandoning the unknown child entrusted to her. Jessica does exist as Lion's little sister too, however, so my interpretation might be a little off. But basically little things like that can be inferred from the extra TIPS.
I don't think your interpretation is that off from truth although I see it more as a psychological thing. Natsuhi feels guilty for Lion's 'death' but probably sees it also as something that's connected to Jessica's birth. She claims demons and angels fulfilled her wish giving her a child and causing the other to disappear but she knows she caused the 'demise' of Lion. Yet because Lion is no more Jessica is the heir, nest in line after Krauss.
Her complicate feelings likely translated in her suffering in even stronger migraines of the ones she was used at (it's also said that her migraines were an inborn condition) but accepting them because she believed that what she did benefitted Jessica.

Quote:
It would match with Hanyuu, while Bern and Featherine on the other hand appear to have some kind of love-hate relationship. They enjoy drinking tea as fellow monsters at least. I agree it's a little confusing. Perhaps Ryuukishi intended Featherine's personality to be more in line with Hanyuu originally? Or, as Bernkastel says she has exactly zero friends in EP8, she isn't writing letters to anyone in particular.
I'll fear we'll never know but yes, if I were to make a guess it would be that Featherine in the beginning was supposed to be different and the same applies for their relation and for the manner in which Featherine was supposed to appear in the story.
That is or there was another character that got scrapped out.
After all we know that Umineko underwent many changes from the original plan so it wouldn't be surprising if this was just one of them.

Quote:
Yes, Bern preparing Ange to become her piece was my original idea too before I thought about the possibility of her knowing Battler survived. Well, as she says she didn't find a fragment where Battler survived, she probably doesn't count Touya as a surviving Battler either, which isn't exactly a lie.
In truth we'll need to know if she figured out that Tohya was Battler. Even if Ikuko's kitten, Bern lives with them, Bern the witch seems to have been travelling quite a bit instead than residing in just one place so... no idea.

Quote:
The thing about ocean currents does kind of sound like Ryuukishi regrets not explaining about ocean currents in relation to Rokkenjima, which could have given people ideas about where the message bottles went, how someone might have survived etc. However, Beatrice actually says that only two of her message bottles reached the shore in EP8. Also, it definitely appears that the majority thinks Itouikukuro Reigonamu wrote the forgeries instead of them being thought of as actual message bottles, so my point about dishonesty stands. Well, Ikuko and Touya could have tried to tell that they're actual message bottles but no one believed them, so it might not be their fault. But I think Beatrice would know if Banquet and Alliance reached the shore in addition to Legend and Turn.
What I was trying to say is that they took the alias Itouikukuro Reigonamu not to represent themselves but Sayo. They got her that alias and posted her tales under that alias.
In a way it makes sense. Ikuko and Tohya are a duo that writes under Tohya's name likely to hide Ikuko's involvement but Tohya's name isn't his own and the surname is Ikuko's so in a way Hachijo Tohya hides also Tohya's true identity.
They applied an extra layer to it and used it to hide Sayo's identity as well, making her the third member of their writing group.
Dawn isn't released so it's not like they're trying to take advantage of the success of the first two to release it and... I've no idea about End.
End is pretty bizzarre and Beatrice doesn't acknowledge it as her own (after all it's Lambda's game).

My take is that 'reaching the shore' meant they were found and given to the press. Of course it could also be that Tohya and Ikuko found Banquet and Alliance while having a trip near the coast in a boat... but what I tend to think is that she meant is just that they were given to the public.
Beatrice claims authorship for those two, they're not only in Confession when she thinks at her possibilities but also when she confront Battler earlier on about how she wrote game after game trying to think to a game that would satisfy her.

But well, regardless of them writing them using Confession or them finding them I think the goal was to spread them without at the same time raise too much noise on them and mixing them to the other tales in the net would have probably worked better. Also, in a way, this would have made Beatrice sort of alive again as she could post her own tales and challenge the others to realize who she was.

Last but not least one of those tales pinned the blame on Eva. Releasing it as a message in the bottle would increase suspicions on Eva while the fact that the two previous messages shifted the blame away from her was working in Eva's favour.

But well, maybe I'm reading too much into it. the manga is really changing quite a lot of things so it might end up clearing up if the tales come from somewhere but instead than being handed to the press (and the police)

Quote:

The final form of the forgery was probably decided by Ikuko, as she actually wrote everything down and could add her own flavors and hints. Touya probably contributed a lot to the work with an insider perspective, will to explore the good sides of his family and alternate theories Ikuko already having reached the truth couldn't provide.
LOL, my pet head canon is that Battler worked as editor for a school mystery magazine and also wrote into it so I'd like for him to be an editor but still I think for this to work he should know what he's working with otherwise his help is really too small.

He's described as having talented for mysteries of the unortodox type and that he "tried turning famous mysteries from across the world on their head, twisting those ideas into something new." so he seems more like the person that helps with mystery than the person that helps with characterization... and if you consider even if we assume he remembered his past he hadn't been seeing most of his family for 6 years and didn't know the 'inside working' of Rokkenjima that well he can't really help much with characterizations and details.
If things went as in the Teaparty he didn't even get to explore much the place so he might not remember there's a storage room for gardening tools or how's the servant room or where the keys are kept and if they've tags or not, if they're recognizable or not, if there's a closed well or not.

Tohya says that

Quote:
Thanks to Ikuko's writing, a skill she had built up over many years, my ideas were transformed into a work of fiction.
In this work, 'the Strange Tale of Beatnik Island', the two of us merged the best of our respective personalities, ......and, though I hate to brag, it had turned into a masterpiece that we could show to anyone without shame.
and considering Ikuko claimed the plot came from him I'll say Tohya's contribute was pretty big. But what could he do in the forgeries if he doesn't know the culprit?
He can't offer tricks, as they require knowing the culprit, he can't really offer a good characterization as it requires knowing well the characters.
The best he could do is to say 'I didn't guess who the culprit is' but this might not necessarily say that the mistery was good as the same can happen if the mistery is poorly written and hints aren't enough or too misleading.

That's why I prefer to think they found two more messages... and then, when they couldn't find them anymore Ikuko tried writing one on her own but it turned out messy because he refused to help and Ikuko, not being Sayo, ended up making Sayo OOC. But well, this still doesn't work well because it assumes she either hadn't read Confession or hadn't understood it even if it spelled out the motive rather clearly.

That is or she had a reason to change the motive. After all she discussed about motives with Tohya... but I fear I've too little material to come up with a convincing answer, expecially since there's really too few info about Ikuko and her character.

Quote:
Perhaps you are not misunderstanding as much as you think, but my theory just is as confusing as it sounds. It seems to be in constant progress, and I already got better ideas answering your post just now. Umineko just keeps throwing my thinking around, it's incredible like that.
Oh, okay. I was feeling quite lost. And yes Umineko is incredible. I've seen many awesome theories and sometimes it's a real pity to see that one gets denied.

Quote:
Now I believe Ikuko reading Confession makes more sense than she not reading it.
Same here.

Quote:
In EP6 Ikuko says that she is confident that she has reached the truth because she has "completely understood all the stories". Just because she reads Confession doesn't mean she has reached the truth, she also has to understand all the stories as she said. Ikuko read Legend and Turn first and created theories about them. After Ikuko found Confession and read it, she went back to Legend and Turn, understood how everything connected together and became someone capable of creating forgeries in Beatrice's name and using the red truth.
Yes, I more or less agree. She saw the messages, theorized about them, read Confession, went through them again and solved them.
In a way it's sort of unfair (everyone can solve them with Confession) but it makes sense.

Quote:
Touya didn't read Confession, either because he wanted to solve it himself or because it would cause him physical harm.
I'll prefer it's because he wanted to solve them himself because otherwise I think puzzling other the forgeries would cause him more harm than Confession.
Though if Ikuko figured out he's Battler she might feel that, as a act of kindness toward Sayo, it would be nicer toward her to let him solve the stories instead than handing him the solution.
After all she wanted him to solve them. So I like to think Ikuko took advantage of the fact Tohya might not remember well about her having found Confession for causing Confession to temporally disappear. By the time of Ep 7 he finally solved everything and she finally let him read it... so in a way Confession is Clair and Tohya is Will.

Quote:
EP5's creation is still a bit weird. You could think of it as purely Lambdadelta's creation in the meta world, but Ange claims to have read an End of the Golden Witch written by Itouikukuro. Is it indeed Ikuko peeking into the meta world and writing down Lambda and Bern's game? I like to believe Lambdadelta and Bernkastel can act autonomously from Featherine, but could it be that everything is controlled by Ikuko's thought processes when writing End so that the meta world version ends up following? Which would make EP5 a result of Featherine actively using her power as the creator. In the end everything is basically written by Featherine, but the creation of End would be the only point where this is apparent in addition to Lambda's death, which is a bit strange. You could call it cheating too. Can you understand what I'm getting at?
I wonder if actually in Prime Ep 5 is nothing else but someone else writing a forgery using Itouikukuro's nick because he's famous. After all Ep 5 is pretty different from the other tales. Not only it gets interrupted midway but has an OOC Sayo and a different detective.
To use Erika's words maybe it was a third rate mistery written by a nobody under Itouikukuro's nick.
And the "real" Itouikukuro might have answered it by rewriting it in a better way so as to prove the other was a fake ence the two solutions.
But again, we don't really know.

Quote:
I have also suspected that Virgilia could be a higher witch than one would expect for some time now. Perhaps she is actually born from the Virgilius of Divina Commedia and possibly a voyager witch? Or because she was also called Beatrice at one point, maybe she represents the Divina Commedia as a whole?
Well, Virgilia, Beatrice and Clair all take names from the Divina Commedia.

Also this is one of the variants of the arms of the Alighieri family. Does it ring a bell? ^_-

Also there's the whole idea that Beatrice sits atop the purgatory, the seven sins, Virgilius leading Dante/Battler through hell to Beatrice, the rose simbolism can be tied to the rose in heaven in the DC, and by the way Dante means 'lasting' 'durable' which fits for Battler's character.
Kyrie (whose name can be seen also as a reference at the Kyrie eleison) and Maria can also work as reference as well as Ange (someone in the past also said that Asumu had some religious meaning but I can't remember it).
A Rodolfo (Rudolf) and a Nicolò (Krauss might actually be Klaus that's the short for Nicholas in Italian Nicolò) also shows up in the Divina Commedia and the same applies for Eva.

LOL, reading Umineko fills me with wish to re-read the Divina Commedia in search of references.
Even the goats attempting to eat who lose and then the golden land reminds me of Lucifer eating the sinners at the end of the Hell. And hey, the purgatory is an island like Rokkenjima... though it's also a mount while Rokkenjima seems flat... but well hell is underground and the room of the gold where the siblings kill each other is underground... and Rokkenjima is covered by woods like the woods in which Dante got lost... and by the way, Rosa got lost in the woods...
And on the door of hell there was a writing same as on the door of the church that leads the way to the room of the gold/hell.

And what about the lynx (allegory of lust), the lion (pride) and a wolf (greed)?
Lust and greed are tied to Rudolf (by the way in the beginning Kinzo said to his kids that in the woods there were wolves... and Rudolf wanted to hunt them) and pride and greed to Kyrie (also we've the Lion's statue and... well, Lion). They cause Dante to fall from a cliff... and Virgilio says they'll be killed by a hunting dog (Eva?).

LOL, someone please stop me, I'm likely seeing too much in what are very likely only coincidences... like how the Castiglione also show up in the DC...

Quote:
Concerning the future world, here are some questions I would like to ask:

So does this mean that in the manga, the trick ending still happened but in a different timeline?
I'll say it's more like Ange figured she would reach this ending if she were to follow a certain path.

Quote:
So pretty much there are multiple Anges?
Well, it was said right in Ep 4 we have multiple Anges in a way. One is AngeBeatrice who's in the Meta, the other is the Ange that goes on Rokkenjima and dies there. Then we can add to the count the Ange that tossed herself off the building and wasn't saved by the safety net, the Ange of the trick ending and the Ange of the magic ending.

But I think that what the manga wanted to suggest is that Ange speculates on her possible fate and in her mind depicted all those Anges and ultimately decided to take the path that would lead her to become the last one.
But I'll give a definitive answer after I've seen the manga.

Quote:
Either way does this mean that Ange definitely dies in 1998 where in the trick timeline she was more or less missing and could have possibly died through some unknown means (e.g. died of starvation, lost at sea, or even went at Rokkenjima and got killed by her aunt and the Yakuza) and in the magic timeline, through Okonogi's help, she was able to fake her death in the same way that Okonogi faked Takano Miyo's death?
I think the manga is trying to imply the trick ending was a possibility that never happened but yes, if that possibility were to happen Ange would have just disappeared.

Quote:
Also, does the event where Ikuko trolls everyone by revealing the truth takes place in both timelines AFTER Ange faked her death (magic timeline) or really died (trick timeline). Because it seems to me that after Ange read Eva's diary, she died, either on the building (magic timeline) or at sea (trick timeline). Then afterwards, the nurse collected the diary and had it sent to Ikuko. When would Ange in the real world would have read CotGW?
We speculated that Confession was sent to her by Tohya while Ange found Eva's diary and read it but forgot it in her room.

Quote:
If this is the case, then this would account as to why Ikuko was able to say red truth in the real world, since red truth is apparently a witch's words in the VN when Ange read Eva's diary.
I'll say more that when red truth is used in what looks like the real world is likely a hint we're in a story as it's said over and over that red truth in the real world doesn't exist but this might be just me.

Quote:
Concerning Ange and Erika:

Could it be that the real Erika Furudo is not actually a mystery fan? Could the Erika we know be a sort of avatar of Ange's to try and solve the forgeries? Yes, Erika is Bernkastel's piece, but is it possible that in the meta-sense, Erika and Ange could have been perceived as separate but on one body? Could it be that at some point after Ange killed her fantasy friends, she took it upon herself to try and solve some forgeries using Knox's Decalogue? Could Dlanor be a sort of replacement for Mammon, with Ange going from fantasy to mystery? Because it seems like after killing her imaginary friends is when she stopped believing in fantasy, which is similar to Erika in the sense that they don't believe in magic. Also, in EP6, Erika literally called Dlanor PAPER, which could mean that Dlanor is a piece of paper (or if Ange is somewhat connected to Erika a page in the grimoire) in which Knox's Decalogue is written on it?
It could be. We know that a real Erika existed at one point and died in 1986 but we know next to nothing about her. Of course people in Prime might know more as they might have speculated about her but well... I think that it's possible that Ange saw herself in Erika. After all as I said previously they really did put lot of parallelism between them.

Last edited by jjblue1; 2015-03-22 at 19:18.
Old 2015-03-23, 02:35   Link #34996
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inbuiltx9 View Post
We were asking ourselves how beato died. And I thought she might have died of blood-loss. This is most probably wrong. Because its clearly stated in umineko who killed beato- for that we have the whole 7th episode -the result was: Only the one who created Beato could have killed her. It was not kyrie, not eva, nobody but “Sayo” herself. There is also a big hint we all probably didn’t pay much attention to:

In episode 4, once Battler says - as an answer to Beatos test - that he absolutely cant remember anything about a sin, in the VN there are two beatos who talk to each other. The first one is giving up and the other one is taking on the job. While the first one seems to be on the verge of tears and lets the 2nd beato take over, the 2nd beato is far more cruel – she immediately burns kinzo alive and threatens all the other furniture. Shes achieving her goal in a much rougher way – or better: has given up on the original goal to make battler remember.
Keep in mind the Beatrice on Prime isn't exactly just the character Beatrice. Only Sayo is able to kill just the character, but she herself can be killed by anyone. Beatrice then just dies with her, as her mind cannot maintain the character anymore, Sayo gives up shortly before dying or Beatrice already died when the siblings solved the epitaph and she lost the game. It's something like that. I don't believe what's said in EP7 prevents Sayo from being killed by Kyrie, it's more about the rules of her game board.

I think the two Beatrices that talk on the balcony represent the character Beatrice and Sayo herself, the true person behind the crime. Sayo is devastated when Battler cannot remember his promise, and the character Beatrice takes over and carries the game to its conclusion.

Quote:
Again – what is the “trauma”? Must be something similar to what happened in ep 6. Now I really do not want to spell it out, but whoever has seen the scene with the ring in ep 6 cant tell me he didn’t feel the HEAVY sexual implications this had. I mean the manga even drew the pictures accordingly. this is NOT me being a pervert or something, Im just a normal adult that happens to think like this once something like that is shown. It’s a perfectly normal – and I assume intended – association. If someone is putting saliva on something to make something “stick in” more easily, I cant help but think we’re talking about something completely different here, not just a ring and a finger. I don’t want to spell it out. there exists a torture device, a ring, that does exactly that and works in the way erika described it in the wedding. it looks like the ring erika gives him with the spikes on the inside and also looks something like the "ring" in the picture we see in manga ep 4 of the room under the kuwadorian, and in reality its fastened with a screw, the same way as erika uses the diamond of the ring to drive the spikes into his finger. if you want to know, google it and imagine the rest yourself please…i wont describe it any more...
What if all this alludes to Kuwadorian Beatrice and the state of Sayo's body instead of something that happened to Battler? It could also be a twisted version of the engagement plans between Sayo and George. George corners Sayo with a time limit when he plans to give her a ring. Perhaps Sayo imagined George's true personality might at worst be something like Erika in EP6.

While it is peculiar that Touya feels older than he should, it might just be psychological. Here are some of the problems I see with your theory. One, it basically makes Battler go through the meta story twice for no reason, if he again loses his memory after solving the game on the island. Two, even if Eva was rescued from Kuwadorian, they never found Battler. It's true it might not be that simple to find the underground area, but still. Three, Beatrice lost the game when the siblings solved the epitaph. Four, Beatrice was probably at least wounded so she might not have survived for that long. It is also said in red that Beatrice died in October of 1986. Five, it is heavily implied that Battler did not solve the game before Beatrice died, so she couldn't be the one to let him out of the room. Six, what would Battler eat to live that long in a cell? I guess it's devil proof that there is a massive food storage in Kuwadorian, but no one really even uses the place any more.

Quote:
I think the event where Ikuko was supposed to reveal the contents of Ange's diary happens after Ange's "death", as Ikuko could only get the book after Eva died in 1998 and Ange shortly after. It probably happens in all the timelines. About Confession, I don't believe Ange ever actually read it as it didn't happen in the visual novel and the information just came to her through the meta world in the manga.

Quote:
This is indeed one of the reasons I believe Ikuko is actually a witch.

Quote:
I've been thinking about this as well, but it might just be that they were written similar for thematical reasons.

Quote:
Well, I've always thought the diary would be a little self absolving.
In the diary she can write that Natsuhi was killed by incident and the same happened to Krauss and that she got rid of Kyrie and Rudolf because they were murderers who tried to kill her and would have tried to do so again so she's sort of telling herself it was self defence and she blasted the island away because she didn't want Ange to find out the horrible stuffs her parents did but if she forced Battler to leave the island while there was a storm because she refused to take Sayo with them and they didn't make it... then it's murder without any excuse.

It would tie nicely with Ep 3 in which Eva shot Battler.

She would have forced him to take a decision that, she knew, was suicidal, and all to cover up her own crime. She might have told him 'if we carry with us a girl that has a bullet wound we won't be able to cover this anymore and your sister will know what your parents did' and he might have agreed that in order to cover up things he would have to find another way to bring Sayo to safety and therefore we'll have them agreeing to keep everything hidden and 'closing the door' but well... I think she would have known that the other way was so dangerous it was almost suicide and that covering up the truth for Ange wouldn't be worth her brother's life.

In "10 little indians" one of the murderers is considered a murderer because during war he sent a man in a mission from which he couldn't possibly return alive. When he ends up on the island he's old and he's sort of paranoid. It fits with Eva even if she ended up much worse than this.
Ange's accusation she was a murderer she would have stuck even harder due to this.
It's possible. Eva could write it in that manner to feel a bit better about herself. White magic for herself or more like black magic for shifting most of the blame to others? Eva seems to act as the embodiment of the black witch, after all. I also like it metaphorically tying into Eva shooting Battler in EP3, because that's a thing I've been trying to incorporate into Prime myself. The reference to And then there were none is a good catch too.

Quote:
I don't think your interpretation is that off from truth although I see it more as a psychological thing. Natsuhi feels guilty for Lion's 'death' but probably sees it also as something that's connected to Jessica's birth. She claims demons and angels fulfilled her wish giving her a child and causing the other to disappear but she knows she caused the 'demise' of Lion. Yet because Lion is no more Jessica is the heir, nest in line after Krauss.
Her complicate feelings likely translated in her suffering in even stronger migraines of the ones she was used at (it's also said that her migraines were an inborn condition) but accepting them because she believed that what she did benefitted Jessica.
Yes, it's definitely psychological. No way it's a deal with demons, right? That'd be silly.
It's true that "her own biological child could not have become the heir if she had accepted Lion" might factor into it.

Quote:
What I was trying to say is that they took the alias Itouikukuro Reigonamu not to represent themselves but Sayo. They got her that alias and posted her tales under that alias.

End is pretty bizzarre and Beatrice doesn't acknowledge it as her own (after all it's Lambda's game).

That's why I prefer to think they found two more messages... and then, when they couldn't find them anymore Ikuko tried writing one on her own but it turned out messy because he refused to help and Ikuko, not being Sayo, ended up making Sayo OOC. But well, this still doesn't work well because it assumes she either hadn't read Confession or hadn't understood it even if it spelled out the motive rather clearly.
End actually does represent Sayo, if in a twisted fashion. It still follows the rules of her games, but focuses the motive on the origin of her misfortune. Remember that Lambdadelta actually does know the truth about Beatrice, which would mean Ikuko writing End would know too. Sayo is the man from 19 years ago, and we see that Lambdadelta, the creator of this game board, poses as him behind the phone. It could be said that it is Sayo's game, but not Beatrice's, as the game doesn't care about the trial of love. I think Ikuko was having fun twisting the setting a bit and adding a more active detective, but did not break the rules.

Quote:
I'll prefer it's because he wanted to solve them himself because otherwise I think puzzling other the forgeries would cause him more harm than Confession.
Though if Ikuko figured out he's Battler she might feel that, as a act of kindness toward Sayo, it would be nicer toward her to let him solve the stories instead than handing him the solution.
After all she wanted him to solve them. So I like to think Ikuko took advantage of the fact Tohya might not remember well about her having found Confession for causing Confession to temporally disappear. By the time of Ep 7 he finally solved everything and she finally let him read it... so in a way Confession is Clair and Tohya is Will.
I meant that getting all of the truth at once would hurt him, but that he could endure it if they went at it slowly writing the forgeries. I'm a supporter of the idea that Will represents Touya. He has that streak of red hair connecting him to Battler, while still being a stranger because he isn't Battler anymore. Clair I take is a combination of the confession hidden in each message bottle and that would naturally connect her to Confession of the Golden Witch as well. I'm not sure if Touya would forget that Ikuko has the Confession bottle, maybe it even made him more confident that Ikuko does have the correct truth. The issue of if Beatrice can be trusted is brought up several times, and it could stem from the question "are those red pages really written by Beatrice?".

Quote:
I wonder if actually in Prime Ep 5 is nothing else but someone else writing a forgery using Itouikukuro's nick because he's famous. After all Ep 5 is pretty different from the other tales. Not only it gets interrupted midway but has an OOC Sayo and a different detective.
To use Erika's words maybe it was a third rate mistery written by a nobody under Itouikukuro's nick.
And the "real" Itouikukuro might have answered it by rewriting it in a better way so as to prove the other was a fake ence the two solutions.
But again, we don't really know.
It's possible, but I believe the misinterpretations would come from Bernkastel's side, as Lambda did actually know the truth all along. I think Ikuko wrote it to near the end of the trial and Touya finished it with a theory scapegoating Battler.

Quote:
LOL, someone please stop me, I'm likely seeing too much in what are very likely only coincidences... like how the Castiglione also show up in the DC...
I'm pretty sure all the names are taken from it intentionally, how the events relate to Umineko is up to interpretation in most places. Reminds me that I actually need to read it as I have been planning to for some time, it might give me interesting ideas.

Quote:
I'll say more that when red truth is used in what looks like the real world is likely a hint we're in a story as it's said over and over that red truth in the real world doesn't exist but this might be just me.
I think Ikuko could actually speak the red in the real world, as it is not literally a real world, but a world close to a real world created by Ryuukishi-Featherine. What Ikuko speaks in the convention is the literal word of god if it existed in our world. Of course it could also represent the audience's absolute trust in Hachijou Touya's expertise.
Old 2015-03-23, 04:49   Link #34997
Leslie Chow

Quote:
I think Ikuko wrote it to near the end of the trial and Touya finished it with a theory scapegoating Battler.
If you are correct on this one, then a connection could be made as to why Black Battler knows about Tohya in Forgery XXX and why his alternate color scheme in Ougon Musou Kyoku CROSS is that of Tohya. It is interesting to note that Black Battler uses black truth and why he says in his ulti "I'll fill everything up with thousands of black forgeries". Could this mean that black truth is black text, since he is the author? Since when you type texts, they tend to be black in color. Also because it is black text, doesn't it show that he does not care about mystery or fantasy (probably meaning having no regard to colored truths, even though Virgilia said Battler is not the culprit in red), since in Ougon, he doesn't seem to reject or accept what is fiction or what is real and is just there to be the "culprit". Heck even the fantasy characters are afraid of him.
Old 2015-03-23, 10:38   Link #34998
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
If you are correct on this one, then a connection could be made as to why Black Battler knows about Tohya in Forgery XXX and why his alternate color scheme in Ougon Musou Kyoku CROSS is that of Tohya. It is interesting to note that Black Battler uses black truth and why he says in his ulti "I'll fill everything up with thousands of black forgeries". Could this mean that black truth is black text, since he is the author? Since when you type texts, they tend to be black in color. Also because it is black text, doesn't it show that he does not care about mystery or fantasy (probably meaning having no regard to colored truths, even though Virgilia said Battler is not the culprit in red), since in Ougon, he doesn't seem to reject or accept what is fiction or what is real and is just there to be the "culprit". Heck even the fantasy characters are afraid of him.
It's very possible black truth is a reference to written text, but not only Touya's text. Black truth might also be a twisted version of golden truth. They both can overpower other truths, but while golden truth is born of understanding, black truth ignores everything that goes against it, a truth that ignores the heart.

Touya might have strenghtened him with EP5, but he does not control Black Battler, who is a combination of Battlers from all the forgeries that pin him as the culprit. In Forgery no.xxx Black Battler implies he quickly tires of game boards that do not establish "a Battler that can be the culprit", but if someone creates a game board that does, it will surely be forgiven. Because there is room to establish a Battler that can be the culprit, Touya will be eternally tormented by theories that make "him" the culprit and go further away from Beatrice's heart, also strenghtening Beatrice's existence as a heartless witch.

I'd say an ever-strenghtening Black Rosa that can use black truth was also born at some point as a combination of all the Rosatrice theories, and Ryuukishi is trying to weaken her and similar entities with the EP8 manga with Confession of the Golden Witch and other additions. In the manga, the battle for the Golden Land involves black versions of the characters and Black Battler is actually killed with a red truth from Beatrice that says Ushiromiya Battler is not the culprit.

Reading haguruma's translation of an older chapter, I found Lambdadelta's thoughts about Featherine:

"Featherine Augustus Aurora... The legendary Great Witch. She is on the level of a Creator within the world of the witches, a witch who has arrived in domains forbidden to touch. She once died of the illness of boredom that kills witches, but with the help of the witch she keeps as a cat, Bern, she was reborn... So, just like we witches look down on humans from a higher sphere and ridicule them as mere pieces, she laughs at and looks down upon even the realm of us witches from an even higher world...!! A witch returned to life from the kingdom of gods....!! I can “certainly” not win..."

It says she was reborn because of Bern, which I think was through the letter that invited her to take a look at Beatrice's game. It also seems to establish the world of witches as the highest realm before the realm of gods. I'm not sure if it refers to Prime as a realm everything originates from, or if it references our world directly, but my interpretation is the latter.

1. Our world / Realm of gods - Creators, Theatergoers
1.5 World of witches / The sea of fragments - Great Witches, Voyagers
2. Rokkenjima Prime - Humans
2.5 Purgatory and the Golden Land- Ideas, Fictional beings
3. Game Boards - Pieces

1, 2 and 3 are physical realms.
1.5 and 2.5 are metaphysical realms.
Oblivion is the state of not existing anywhere.

I'm basing this hierarchy on how information flows between them. Something lower in the hierarchy cannot know what happens in a higher realm unless a being from a higher realm decides to share their knowledge. For example, humans cannot know their future, but it is possible for voyagers to find a fragment that shows what happens to that human in the future.

Individuals can freely move up and down up to their level of their existence. A higher being can promote a lower being up to their own level. Metaphysical beings need a medium, a vessel, to interact with a physical realm. A great witch can use a human as their vessel by affecting their thoughts, a human can promote a fictional being to a human by acting as them.

Higher beings have the ability to create fragments containing lower physical realms. A creator can create a fragment, a human can write a story. The process affects the metaphysical realm between, making it reflect the creation process.

Of course a piece on a game board can also write a story. It would create a fragment on physical realm 4, affecting metaphysical realm 3.5. And if we suppose gods exist in our world, they exist as metaphysical beings on level 0.5, and physically on level 0. It can expand infinitely in both directions.

Physical realm does not mean fantasy cannot exist in it. If the world is set up to be fantasy, fantasy creatures can physically exist in it. If it is mystery, they cannot. On a mystery game board fantasy creatures need sufficient vessels to act, but they can be shown as physically existing until the game board is established as a mystery.

What this means in practice: Ryuukishi creates Rokkenjima Prime in the realm of gods. The creation of Rokkenjima Prime means all the events that happened, are happening and will happen in that world. This predetermines the events that will happen in the world of witches. If Bernkastel is supposed to have anything to do with that fragment, as she does, her actions will be commanded by the creation of this fragment. When Ryuukishi wishes to participate in the world as Ikuko, Featherine revives as his avatar in the world of witches.

In Rokkenjima Prime, Sayo imagines Beatrice existence and thus creates a version of her on the level of ideas, that combines with ideas other people have of this Beatrice. She promotes this Beatrice to a human by acting like her, strenghtening her existence by making more people believe in her. She writes game boards that claim Beatrice exist that are read by many people and it again affects the character of Beatrice on the level of ideas. Because she makes the true events of the time period she claims Beatrice existed in a catbox, it is harder for people to weaken her. The catbox creates a container that makes it appear as if the events of the game board and the Golden Land existed on the level of humans.

Higurashi's fragments exist on the same level as Rokkenjima Prime, as a new one was created by Hanyuu every time Rika died and time was rewound. It's also possible Featherine created new fragments detailing Ange's different futures, but it's more likely that these fragments exist on a lower plane instead.
Old 2015-03-23, 16:39   Link #34999
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Speaking of Black Battler, an interesting facet of his character I don't see much discussion on is how similar to eva-Beatrice he really is. In his story mode in Ougon Musou Cross, he's paired up with Shannon, and all his dialog and behavior is about taking the blame and going out of his way to assure Shannon that 'she's blameless' and he 'won't let anyone blame her', telling her to just sit quietly and do whatever he commands, before he finally kills her at the end, saving her for last.

Despite laughing while carrying Shannon's dead body, his maniacal laughter clearly dissolves into near sobbing as he declares himself the culprit...

Despite everything, Black Battler is still a character that loves Yasuda Sayo. He can only express that love in a single form...

Tohya Hachijou isn't the only one writing about Black Battler, but I do think he might have provided the original spark with episode 5, where Battler is unambiguously an accomplice atleast. Meta-Battler defeated Erika with an alternate human theory that exonerated Natsuhi, but we were not told what this was.

Did Tohya offer Battler on the altar of sins to exonerate another? In so doing, did he come to regret it, and was unable to seal the pandora's box he opened?

What is the key, unifying trend between all the Beatrices? It is to martyr oneself to take the sins and blame off of another person.
Old 2015-03-23, 17:13   Link #35000
jjblue1

Quote:
It's possible. Eva could write it in that manner to feel a bit better about herself. White magic for herself or more like black magic for shifting most of the blame to others? Eva seems to act as the embodiment of the black witch, after all. I also like it metaphorically tying into Eva shooting Battler in EP3, because that's a thing I've been trying to incorporate into Prime myself. The reference to And then there were none is a good catch too.
Well, I'm not sure if we can call it black magic as it isn't meant to hurt anyone because no one is supposed to read the diary. Though I'm not even sure it can be called white magic even if in a way it resembles Maria's magic as everything would be repainted with an interpretation that's favourable to Eva (in Maria's magic everything was repainetd with an interpretation favourable to Rosa).

I've always liked the idea that Battler being shoot had to mean something more than just him dying on that gameboard. And in a way Battler gets killed again in Ep 6, by himself. So while in Ep 3 the blame is placed on Eva, who might have forced him to take a dangerous decision, in Ep 6 Battler places the blame on himself, as after all he was the one who decided.

But well, of course Battler's death might merely symbolically represent how Battler, by leaving the Ushiromiya, technically killed 'Ushiromiya Battler' temporally.
So maybe I'm just letting myself being carried away.

Quote:
Yes, it's definitely psychological. No way it's a deal with demons, right? That'd be silly.
It's true that "her own biological child could not have become the heir if she had accepted Lion" might factor into it.
Yes, and for Natsuhi this is really, really important. In a way I think that she tells herself she killed Lion for Jessica but also that she means to take on herself the blame in order for her daughter to shine.

Quote:
End actually does represent Sayo, if in a twisted fashion. It still follows the rules of her games, but focuses the motive on the origin of her misfortune. Remember that Lambdadelta actually does know the truth about Beatrice, which would mean Ikuko writing End would know too. Sayo is the man from 19 years ago, and we see that Lambdadelta, the creator of this game board, poses as him behind the phone. It could be said that it is Sayo's game, but not Beatrice's, as the game doesn't care about the trial of love. I think Ikuko was having fun twisting the setting a bit and adding a more active detective, but did not break the rules.
End is a game that lacks love. By changing Sayo's motive we can say she's OOC (not totally OOC as she resents Natsuhi but not to the point of starting everything) in a way that's similar to Black Battler (who's probably more OOC than her as if he starts murdering without a motive he's just a raving lunatic which Battler wasn't... even if something of Battler remains even in BB).
So yes, while End shows a certain knowledge of who the culprit was and how it worked it also shows it didn't understand it at all.
I think that it fits Lambda, as Lambda looks like the person who would think revenge is a good motive (even though Lambda can be a romantic as well) but it fail as a good intepretation of the motive.

Quote:
I meant that getting all of the truth at once would hurt him, but that he could endure it if they went at it slowly writing the forgeries.
I don't know, the forgeries requires thinking more than just reading the truth and can lead to outcomes that are even more unpleasant than the truth (es: when Battler learns he's not Asumu's child he ends up thinking he was a kid they picked up somewhere and therefore not even his father's child).
I understand that getting the truth in small doses would probably be better for him but the forgeries seems more harmful than just the truth so I think if the purpose is to spare him some pain they're going at it the wrong way.

Quote:
I'm a supporter of the idea that Will represents Touya. He has that streak of red hair connecting him to Battler, while still being a stranger because he isn't Battler anymore.
YES! Same here!

Quote:
Clair I take is a combination of the confession hidden in each message bottle and that would naturally connect her to Confession of the Golden Witch as well. I'm not sure if Touya would forget that Ikuko has the Confession bottle, maybe it even made him more confident that Ikuko does have the correct truth. The issue of if Beatrice can be trusted is brought up several times, and it could stem from the question "are those red pages really written by Beatrice?".
Well, if we go by the manga he barely saw it. Ikuko tried to tell him about it but he fell asleep and didn't really got much. When he woke up again Ikuko started talking him about Rokkenjima but at the point she mention it he's starting to have flashbacks and then he faints so later on he might have completely removed how Ikuko told him about having Confession. And Ikuko might have thought it was Confession who casued him to faint so she might have let that topic drop.

Quote:
It's possible, but I believe the misinterpretations would come from Bernkastel's side, as Lambda did actually know the truth all along. I think Ikuko wrote it to near the end of the trial and Touya finished it with a theory scapegoating Battler.
Oh, that's for sure, it's Bern the responsible but well, Bern sort of rewrote it as it dropped the idea that Kinzo was dead already to construct her theory and Lambda merely heard her out.

That's sort of why I wonder if actually there were two End, one which was poorly written and that's basically Bern's side version of the story (or if you prefer the version of a witch hunter) and one that's well written, respectful of all the rules and that's Lambda/Battler version of the story (or if you prefer Tohya's version of End).
But well, I don't think we'll ever get an answer to this speculation.

Quote:
I think Ikuko could actually speak the red in the real world, as it is not literally a real world, but a world close to a real world created by Ryuukishi-Featherine. What Ikuko speaks in the convention is the literal word of god if it existed in our world. Of course it could also represent the audience's absolute trust in Hachijou Touya's expertise.
Well, I guess everyone can interpret the scene as preferred. As for me I just like to take it as a hint that's not the real world but the world of a tale. But your interpretation can't be denied as well.
LOL, I guess that scene is a catbox! ^_-

Quote:
I can't find the point in which Black Battler shows he knows Tohya. He seems to know only the witches that doesn't want to be bored.
Interesting enough he doesn't acknowledge End as one of the forgeries in which he had a role, talking only of Land, Trinity and Bern's game (which I guess is the one in Twilight).

Well, black truth can refer to black text but I think the overall meaning is that he won't offer theories (blue truth) certain (red truth) or beliefs (gold truth) but just a story, a series of fact those interpretation is subjective.

I might be wrong though.

(also I honestly would love to see more about BB as I find him very intriguing... *sigh* I wish Ryukishi were to release Land and Trinity...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Speaking of Black Battler, an interesting facet of his character I don't see much discussion on is how similar to eva-Beatrice he really is. In his story mode in Ougon Musou Cross, he's paired up with Shannon, and all his dialog and behavior is about taking the blame and going out of his way to assure Shannon that 'she's blameless' and he 'won't let anyone blame her', telling her to just sit quietly and do whatever he commands, before he finally kills her at the end, saving her for last.

Despite laughing while carrying Shannon's dead body, his maniacal laughter clearly dissolves into near sobbing as he declares himself the culprit...

Despite everything, Black Battler is still a character that loves Yasuda Sayo. He can only express that love in a single form...
Yes, even in forgery XXX he shows a certain care for Kanon

Quote:
Listen. Let's go, Kanon-kun. Or else you'll catch a cold.
and a twisted love for Beato

Quote:
“What a joke. ......if you were drawn to express yourself so joyfully, I might become your instrument as well.“
“...that might happen. ...after I heard it once, I will never forget your sound ever again. You were the most perfect violin. That sound, it was as if it was coming from heaven itself. ...but I can wait a little longer. Because it is something really, really important. ...because this is the one sound, that I have loved a long, long time and will love for all eternity.“
He says nothing about Shannon though, apart from wanting to slowly strangle her in front of George... but it seems strangling someone is considered an 'intimate act' among the murdering acts if this can make sense (and well it might be a reference to Ep 5 when Bern said he was slowly strangling Beato). Also killing her in front of George might have a meaning in a way... :P