AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-07-28, 18:39   Link #1
David375

Looking for Gun-oriented animes

Hi, all! First time on the board, so I don't know what you guys suggest, but I am open for anything, although preferably not too fanservice-based. I love gun-focused animes such as Jormungand (already watched all of that, unfortunately). If anyone happens to know any other shows that have a heavy focus on firearm combat (Whether or not they are very detailed about the guns themselves like JG), I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, since I haven't seen many shows at all, I am open to other suggestions. Especially shows with female protagonists that aren't super bombastic/over the top. Tabitha from Zero no Tsukaima season 3 is a prime example of a favorite female lead, especially since she's tough. Mechs are also pretty cool, although guns come first. Thanks!

Shows I have already watched that might show up in the comments if I don't mention it now:

Neon Genesis: Evangelion (mechs + quiet female)
Jormungand (duh)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (mechs + guns)
David375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-28, 19:52   Link #2
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Black Lagoon: Highly recommend for fans of fast-paced action series with lots of gunfights. Essentially an action series similar to Jormungand, centering around a Japanese businessman who is captured by a group of mercenaries, only to join end up joining their ranges.

Canaan: Another action series similar to Jormungand, essentially following a female mercenary with superhuman perception's fight against terrorists.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom: Another action series, following the life of a Japanese tourist who is kidnapped by an crime syndicate and becomes an assassin.

Gunslinger Girl: A dark, emotional series, but also with a number of gun fights, set in Italy of all places- essentially involving a secret government agency using child cyborgs as anti-terrorist weapons.

Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There: One from this season. A portal to a fantasy world appears in Tokyo, and a Roman-like army invades, only to get their asses handed to them by the Japanese Self Defense Force. In the midst of all of this, a JSDF Lieutenant and self-proclaimed otaku is charged with leading a recon team into the new world. If you liked the scenes in Zero no Tsukaima where Saito curb stomps fantasy armies with modern weapons, you'll love this. Also, Lelei is a good kuudere (quiet, emotionless girl).

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: For the first glance, it looks like a typical magical girl anime, but after the third episode, to avoid spoiling to much, it gets really dark. Also, Akemi Homura (pictured in my avatar) is a badass "quiet girl" who used stolen military hardware from handguns to truck-mounted missile launchers to supplement her magic powers. The gunfight scenes don't appear until late in the anime, but I would still recommend this for the plot.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-28, 20:13   Link #3
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

black cat.
Old 2015-07-28, 20:29   Link #4
David375

Thanks for the recommendations. Gate sounds like the one for me, so that's where I'll be headed next. Juggling the 4'th season of Zero no Tsukaima and Fairy Tail right now, but ZnT is almost done so I'll replace that as soon as I am in the clear.
Old 2015-07-28, 22:00   Link #5
David375

Thanks for the recommendation of Gate! already ran through 4 episodes, its great!
Old 2015-07-29, 02:10   Link #6
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Trigun. It's more of "wild wild west" theme though.

The original Full Metal Panic had a millitary otaku so that might also be a good suggestion.

If you just like explosions (and tanks) in general, I'll also recommend Girls und Panzer.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-29, 19:47   Link #7
kitten320

Seconding Black Lagoon, Canaan and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Baccano! has some guns, knife and fist to fist action.

Code Geass and Full Metal Panic for Mecha, some guns too. MC from FMP is a soldier.

Mai-HiME has some mecha and Natsuki uses guns, more of a fantasy series. Similar to Madoka Magica.

Psycho-Pass, futuristic special guns.

Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles, war based anime with guns and tanks.
Old 2015-07-31, 20:53   Link #8
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

You might like Noir. The combat is very much focused on guns, and neither of the two female leads are particularly bombastic or anything. One of them is straight up a quiet girl. And although you didn't mention anything about music, since it's among my personal favorite anime OSTs I feel I should point out that it really has a great soundtrack.

I feel like you've probably seen these (and if you haven't you should definitely do so; they're both very well regarded anime), but both Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex involve quite a bit of gun combat. You've also got spaceships in Cowboy Bebop and mechs of a kind in Ghost in the Shell.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 04:16   Link #9
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

The Grisaia trilogy has multiple uses of guns and other weapons at various parts of the show. The MC is a newly-transferred student to Mihama Academy, a school that only had five other students, all of them being girls. He slowly learns that each of the girls has suffered some form of trauma in the past, and goes about helping them to overcome their pasts through fairly unconventional ways derived from his own mysterious background, which also gets revealed as the trilogy goes on.

Hidan no Aria has very extensive use of guns, with almost all of the main characters being adept with guns. The show has a number of gunfights among the characters.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 06:40   Link #10
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David375 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation of Gate! already ran through 4 episodes, its great!
You're welcome.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 15:17   Link #11
RichardFromMarple

Cat Planet Cuties features a fair amount of accurate guns as 2 of the main characters are spies, don't like the title put you off!
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, mechs, newbie, shy/quiet female