Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2022-11-04, 00:54   Link #4541
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
I hope it doesn't happens again but I feel like OnK eventually will crash too.
Is it better for the mangaka to half-ass a manga, or for manga-ka to just never complete it, I wonder (cough cough Hunter x Hunter)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2022-11-04, 05:26   Link #4542
Lex79

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Is it better for the mangaka to half-ass a manga, or for manga-ka to just never complete it, I wonder (cough cough Hunter x Hunter)
Good question. A bad ending can definitely ruin a series for me but I'd rather get an average ending than no ending at all. Having said that, I'm not among the people who didn't like the second half of Kaguya.
Old 2022-11-04, 17:14   Link #4543
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Id 100% prefer a great story with no ending and people crying tears at the wasted potential as opposed to a writer confirming he has no clue how to stick the landing
Old 2022-11-06, 05:15   Link #4544
WingedAccelerator

Authors should respect their readers, followers, the very people that made them gigantically big in the first place. If they are already swimming in cash like Scrooge McDuck thanks to them, then naturally they should respect their works as well and shouldn't half-ass them at all costs. If they can't do this bare minimum, then they were just doing it for the money, it was just a profitable hobby, forget passion or professional ideals. They made a lifetime fortune, who cares about the second half of the work being absolute shit?

Above everything else, do not make interviews during serialization, talking about future story beats and plans, then turning those points into lies. Also, do not make interviews afterwards, talking about how you had no idea where to go after a certain point, how you got burned out, but who cares, the money was more important, so you concluded your work shittily, pissing your fanbase off, instead of taking a few months break and carefully think everything over and plan things out.

Guess who was the author that made me write this.
Old 2022-11-06, 05:20   Link #4545
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

So much for so called genius mangaka Akasaka Aka.

Is the editor still dub him that?
Old 2022-11-06, 13:01   Link #4546
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I thought it was sarcasm when people said that

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Authors should respect their readers, followers, the very people that made them gigantically big in the first place. If they are already swimming in cash like Scrooge McDuck thanks to them, then naturally they should respect their works as well and shouldn't half-ass them at all costs. If they can't do this bare minimum, then they were just doing it for the money, it was just a profitable hobby, forget passion or professional ideals. They made a lifetime fortune, who cares about the second half of the work being absolute shit?

Above everything else, do not make interviews during serialization, talking about future story beats and plans, then turning those points into lies. Also, do not make interviews afterwards, talking about how you had no idea where to go after a certain point, how you got burned out, but who cares, the money was more important, so you concluded your work shittily, pissing your fanbase off, instead of taking a few months break and carefully think everything over and plan things out.

Guess who was the author that made me write this.
Could be any author nowadays
Old 2022-11-06, 15:02   Link #4547
WingedAccelerator

I thought about mainly Haruba Negi (5toubun no Hanayome) and the author of Shokugeki no Souma.

Negi couldn't even put together 3-5 flashforwards in 120+ chapters where the whole wedding makes sense. Details, objects kept disappearing, awful lot of deliberate OOC behavior for the sake of fooling the reader, thus the experience is not rewarding when the story is about finding unique traits and mannerisms of characters. Add in the interviews, where the winning heroine is just an early guide according to him, or how the first half of the story tells the bride's feelings, while the second the protagonist's. Cool story bro. What he got right is that people will hate him for the ending. Admittedly burned out, had no idea where to go 68+ chapters in, but didn't take a break and started assassinating his characters. Probably the worst thing is that it was not even a passion project, he just knew this would sell and wanted to create the ultimate romcom. Then he quickly dipped to make something he wanted all along after swimming in cash. His initial editors hard carried him with suggesting changes that ultimately made this the romcom of the decade. Mostly related to the mystery aspects.

Going in detail with Souma would physically hurt me. Those who suffered through all of it, including me, still knows the pain.
Old 2022-11-06, 16:39   Link #4548
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post

Going in detail with Souma would physically hurt me. Those who suffered through all of it, including me, still knows the pain.
With Souma the big issue was that they lost their culinary consultant due to her going on maternaty leave as I heard.

As for dscussion above, Aka probably just got tired of Kaguya. Looks OnK is something he is more interested personally.

As for endings in general, I agree with Lex79: so-so ending can sour the whole impression but it is better when no ending.

Though, I find it the worst when author could end the story long ago but keep dragging it as they fear their potential new work won't sell. Some authors can make a long story, but in majority of cases they don't. Everyone could name a bunch of examples.

Mine was "Unbalance x Unbalance". Pretty good manhwa about student - teacher relashionships made by the famous authour (the one who made "Kurokami", "Freezing" and a bunch of other popular gruesome ecchi battle series). The manga was really good for like 6 volumes. Then author decided he goes to fast and started unnecesarily dragging the story for the next 3 volumes or so. Then there were rumors of anime being green lit. Then some issues with the artist came up and it went on hiatud for like 1.5 or 2 years and the author had to abruptlty finish the story in 10 chapters with a new artists team Japanese editor managed to assemble. That was a real pity for me.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2022-11-07 at 03:56.
Old 2022-11-06, 18:29   Link #4549
Twi

Didn't he also work on Aflame Inferno?
Old 2022-11-06, 18:49   Link #4550
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Didn't he also work on Aflame Inferno?
He worked on a whole bunch of works. I just mentioned ones with adaptation. Aflame Inferno is in indefinite hiatus if I am not mistaken.
Old 2022-11-07, 02:03   Link #4551
Lex79

Quote:
Authors should respect their readers, followers, the very people that made them gigantically big in the first place.
That's why I'm wary of authors with lots of series on hiatus that keep making new ones. If you want me to invest my time and money in your works, show me you have enough commitment to give it a proper conclusion. The Unbalance x2 author mentioned before is a perfect example.
Of course, to be fair, the responsibility for the problems we are mentioning is not always on authors. Executive meddling can happen and can ruin series.
Old 2022-11-07, 05:37   Link #4552
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Though, I find it the worst when author could end the story long ago but keep dragging it as they fear their potential new work won't sell. Some authors can make a long story, but in majority of cases they don't. Everyone could name a bunch of examples.
That's Rent-A-Girlfriend right there. Could've easily ended after Kazuya and Chizuru made the movie for her grandmother... But is somehow still being serialized as of me making this post. It has more than overstayed its welcome if you ask me and should've ended 100 chapters ago tbh.

Like dawg, everyone knows Chizuru's going to win and the feelings are mutual between both characters, so what's stopping them from hooking up and concluding the story?
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2022-11-07, 11:15   Link #4553
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

In case of RaG, author stopped caring long ago and just continue making it as people still read it despite all the hate.
Old 2022-11-07, 11:41   Link #4554
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
He worked on a whole bunch of works. I just mentioned ones with adaptation. Aflame Inferno is in indefinite hiatus if I am not mistaken.
That guy is famous for this.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2022-11-08, 04:40   Link #4555
kampfer91
Master Eugenist

After reading the final chap , i feel....a bit disappointed . It doesn't have that conclusive feeling of the final chap , if it was not for that End tag i wouldn't believe this is the end .

Can't really agree with all the praise how great the ending is , there was more satisfied ending for a manga , assuming if it didn't get axed in the first place to promote light novel .

Hmm , the last time i got this particular feeling was after reading Shoukugeki no Souma ending ....everyone kept theirs status quo and all we get is some hint of how theirs relationship progress , i be honest it should have ended up with a wedding or family scene but meh it was what it was .
Old 2022-11-08, 19:42   Link #4556
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Rather than "half-assing" it, I think the problem is knowing one's limits. Burnout is a very real thing. There are certain points past which an author just can't maintain their passion, or can't keep up with all the threads, or just runs out of new ideas. There are also points past which a story itself just can't continue properly, or lengths at which it will lose its cohesion even if it didn't reach its "end" yet. Authors need to learn these limits. But I don't really just blame the authors. The publishers too have a tendency to demand more, more, more even when it's unreasonable. If a story meant for five volumes is super popular, even if the author isn't too tempted to extend it or find ways to add "filler" the editors are likely to put a lot of pressure on them, since a work with an existing fandom is always safer than a completely new work, even when the author him/herself has a sufficiently large fandom that'll buy anything (s)he writes. Rather than "they weren't really trying", they just pushed past where they, or their work, could maintain. If it happened with one work, chances are it'll happen with others by the same author, especially if they remain with the same editor/publisher. I really wish authors and publishers would grow a little less afraid of the concept of a five-volume or even one-volume series. I love short series and would prefer there be more that aren't short simply because they were axed, and fewer that are too long for their own good.
Old 2022-12-21, 09:12   Link #4557
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Rumours about a season 4 around the net....
Old 2022-12-21, 09:36   Link #4558
WingedAccelerator

The movie is meant to air on TV and considering its length is practically 5 episodes, I wonder if they just make 7 new episodes and combine them with the TV version of the movie = 4th season.
Old 2022-12-21, 12:43   Link #4559

Guy goes through a divorce and the story goes to shit. Should have seen this coming.
Old 2022-12-23, 07:56   Link #4560
WingedAccelerator

The extras for the final volume are out. To be more precise, character pages with some future tidbits. Plus, the regular combined volume covers of 27-28 with an adult version as well. Adult Maki looks really great.
Closed Thread

Tags
character derailment, coming of age, desconstruction, genre shift, love triangle, memeguya, no longer our guy, quality decline, romcom, school life