AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 22 46.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 12.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.13%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-19, 03:22   Link #61
tacobueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97 View Post

They honestly could've kept the show with Kamina and Simon winning with guts each time, and most people would just write it off as a well done super-robot show, with childlike themes and such.

Instead, they bring us unbelieveable action, and right at the end, put on the brakes and emphasize that guts and recklessness only take you so far. Quite sobering actually, and how appropriate for Yoko to deliver it.
Honestly, I'd trade any/all touchy-feely segments and deep philosophical revelations that unearth a greater story for 5 more minutes of HEART POUNDING MANLY IGNITION ACTION SEQUENCES.
Old 2007-05-19, 14:30   Link #62
Kisuke06
I see...

Great episode. Damn, Kamina can't die in the next episode... it's way too soon for something like that happen.
Old 2007-05-20, 11:19   Link #63
lukado

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-21, 17:07   Link #64
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Thats Why You Do It

Episode 7 was nearly flawless. There were quite a few tiny shots that could had been worked upon, but the quality itself visually shocked me.

The effects, the animation, and the drama was of epic proportions.

We can also work for a Viral's fanclub, since his rough and war-like voice hammers excitement upon me; Nobuyuki Hiyama is indeed the king of the war cry.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-24, 22:07   Link #65
Lost

I think I'm gonna take the trouble to rate this a 10/10, because it was a perfect episode in every way. More than that, I think this episode has finally clearly illuminated the path that this anime will have to take, and what this human confederation is up against: it's clearly going to be a fight between a dominant, established and powerful civilisation and a ragtag but spirited human rebellion to claim back the surface, and right to live on the surface, which was rightly theirs in the first place. Also, I've heard of the epicness of 08, and the way 07 sets it up, waiting for the usual subs would be a crime. On to 08!

(although I must say it's a damn stupid idea to include the only subs in a separate file.)

Last edited by Lost; 2007-05-24 at 22:20.
Old 2007-05-25, 10:18   Link #66
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post

(although I must say it's a damn stupid idea to include the only subs in a separate file.)
Why? Which subs are we talking about here?
Old 2007-05-25, 12:37   Link #67
Lost

There's only one animesuki listed fansub group of episode 8 at the moment. It's irritating, compromising convenience in such a manner.
Old 2007-05-25, 13:08   Link #68
7Th
Mixtape

Red face

Quote:
There's only one animesuki listed fansub group of episode 8 at the moment. It's irritating, compromising convenience in such a manner.
They do it because their primary public are 4Channers and most of the guys translating, anon is just one person and Nyoron is composed by two, have no experience with encoding and just translate and time. That, and 4Chan asks for script since a lot download the super HD 500mb raw.
Old 2007-05-25, 16:19   Link #69
arkon

For me it's usually more convenient. As 7th said, I usually have the big raws before the subs are out so it's easier for me to just download the sub file and play it. They're all synced so it's not like anything else needs doing. Meh it's not like it's that much of an inconvenience... sorry I even asked.
Old 2007-05-26, 09:50   Link #70
Lost

Taking this a little personally are we?

I'm not against releasing the sub script seperately, because yes, it's great for those that download the super 500 mb raw and it's a refreshing practice in a world where most fansub groups protect their scripts like gold. What irks me is, if you noticed from my earlier post, that the only sub/script anywhere is in a separate file. Do you get my drift? I don't like downloading an encode (a sub-standard one at that, which honestly shouldn't be labelled HQ) and finding that it doesn't have subs. To call such a release alone a "fansub" would be wrong. It's a raw. Taking your "Meh it's not like it's that much of an inconvenience..." from another point of view, is it that hard to mux the subs into the encode?

Bleh, I'm not trying to change anything. Yes, 7Th, 4chan subs will be 4chan subs. Good for the translators/encoders/timers and the people that enjoy their work.
Old 2007-05-27, 01:32   Link #71
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
No long summary this time, just a review. My god this show just keeps delivering and its so hard to choose between this and Darker Than Black as my favourite show of the season.

We learn who the leader of the Beastmen is this episode (Though we don't see him at all) as well as that he has 4 generals (Classic super robot trope). Also Nobuyuki Hiyama is godly this episode as Viral. We also see the Daiganzan which is no joke and we also learn that it has been launching Ganmen across the landscape (this explains why they just seemed to fall from the sky). Kamina appears as something of a god figure this episode as he prepares to lead the newly formed Dai Gurren-Dan (composed of both old and new heroes they've met along the way) into battle at the end of the episode. How can anyone deny the sheer charmisma, audacity and courage of this man for an era (The modern era of anime). The setup is flawless, the action, the character usage, the plot exposition, this is easily the best episode of the series and had me glued to my monitor for the entire 25 minutes. It definitely deserves a 10, something this spring season has provided me with lots of reasons to dole out.
Old 2007-05-27, 09:37   Link #72
arkon

Quote:
Taking this a little personally are we?
No, not at at all. I perhaps should have phrased it better. It was more of a "Sweet Mother of God! What have I done?" As I (mistakenly it now seems) assumed I'd triggered off another hardsubs vs. softsubs debate, of which I've had enough to last me a lifetime. Besides it's the internet, there's very little I do take personally (exceptions being someone insulting a member of my family or something). Anywho... moving on.

Quote:
I'm not against releasing the sub script seperately, because yes, it's great for those that download the super 500 mb raw and it's a refreshing practice in a world where most fansub groups protect their scripts like gold. What irks me is, if you noticed from my earlier post, that the only sub/script anywhere is in a separate file. Do you get my drift? I don't like downloading an encode (a sub-standard one at that, which honestly shouldn't be labelled HQ) and finding that it doesn't have subs. To call such a release alone a "fansub" would be wrong. It's a raw. Taking your "Meh it's not like it's that much of an inconvenience..." from another point of view, is it that hard to mux the subs into the encode?

Bleh, I'm not trying to change anything. Yes, 7Th, 4chan subs will be 4chan subs. Good for the translators/encoders/timers and the people that enjoy their work.
We are talking about episode 8 here, right? Assuming that is the case and with your mention of it I'm assuming we're specifically talking the HQ mkv file here (Nice jab by the way, I quite enjoyed that. The HQ/LQ labelling of files is a tiny annoyance of mine). Well I've only watched Nyoro~n's version once before and that was the HQ mkv for episode 6. In that instance there was a sub muxed in with it.

So anyway, out of curiosity I downloaded the following file: [Nyoro~n Subs] Gurren Lagann 08 HQ.mkv and I found subs muxed in with it. Skipped through the episode and yeah everything seemed okay to me. So unless we're talking a different episode/different file, I'd say there might be something wrong with your file. I was under the impression that all their files (especially the mkvs) came with subs muxed in, although I've only checked 2 episodes out of 8, and that they released the scripts separately on top of that. I'm now quite confused

Last edited by arkon; 2007-05-27 at 09:57.
Old 2007-06-05, 14:39   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Gave it a "9" ..... this was as good as any "classic action war" flick I can think of. Characters got good air time.

I think what I like about the show is that it really isn't one-dimensional like so many "hotblooded action" flicks are.... This episode stands out, nice editing to show Simon's thought processes.
I'm really getting to like Leeron, he's very observant.... projects kind of a Mr. Spock-outsider observations about his companions.

And yes, Kamina is not a complete idiot.... just a brash one and not a poet.
Old 2007-06-17, 03:17   Link #74
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
No, not at at all. I perhaps should have phrased it better. It was more of a "Sweet Mother of God! What have I done?" As I (mistakenly it now seems) assumed I'd triggered off another hardsubs vs. softsubs debate, of which I've had enough to last me a lifetime.
Yeah, it was never a hardsubs vs. softsubs debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
We are talking about episode 8 here, right? Assuming that is the case and with your mention of it I'm assuming we're specifically talking the HQ mkv file here (Nice jab by the way, I quite enjoyed that. The HQ/LQ labelling of files is a tiny annoyance of mine). Well I've only watched Nyoro~n's version once before and that was the HQ mkv for episode 6. In that instance there was a sub muxed in with it.

So anyway, out of curiosity I downloaded the following file: [Nyoro~n Subs] Gurren Lagann 08 HQ.mkv and I found subs muxed in with it. Skipped through the episode and yeah everything seemed okay to me. So unless we're talking a different episode/different file, I'd say there might be something wrong with your file. I was under the impression that all their files (especially the mkvs) came with subs muxed in, although I've only checked 2 episodes out of 8, and that they released the scripts separately on top of that. I'm now quite confused
In case "jab" is supposed to mean something I deliberately said to make fun of something/piss someone off, no, I was being entirely serious. Hmm, you are right. I played that same episode 08 of my with zplayer, and it did have subs muxed in. Funny that it didnt display (even a track was not displayed in the menu) in MPC. Well, I must apologise then, for raising this little wooha over the lack of subs with an encode. Sorry!
Closed Thread