AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-04-11, 14:42   Link #1
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

So my computer has given up the ghost

As some of you may know, my previous computer troubles necessitated getting an DVI-to-HDMI adapter so I can use my computer with my HDTV again, as I had to turn off the onboard graphics to gain access to my graphics card.

Now, somehow, during that timeframe when I wasn't using the computer until I got that part, my computer acquired some new problem--how, I don't know, I didn't even have it turned on for a week or two--and it's now worsened to the point where I need someone's help fixing it, or to take it into a shop--something I cannot afford with my 16-to-20 bucks one-day-a-week job.

My computer will now sometimes freeze up or crash upon Window's loading up. Some of the icons on the desktop and in the start menu won't load up; they'll appear as standard white page images, the typical "We don't recognize this file" type of file icon. When these don't revert to what they're supposed to be, I know the computer has glitched up. On occasion they'll load up but crash anyway. Sometimes just moving the mouse over to the start bar will cause the computer to freeze up. Sometimes it'll load up completely but opening up a folder will cause it to freeze up. Sometimes during these events, the desktop background will turn completely white as it tries and fails to load something.

There have been a few occasions where the computer did not crash. During these times, I would sometimes encounter an entirely different problem. When watching some of my anime, when skipping segments of a video playing in Media Player Classic, the screen will suddenly turn a transparent, wobbly transparent purple-pink color. Sound will continue as normal, but everything on screen except the mouse would freeze into place. Sometimes the mouse would freeze as well. I have attempted to rectify this by reinstalling my graphics drivers, and I had not had the problem since.

Sometimes, it'd load up and I wouldn't have any problems at all.

Today, however, my computer has given up any pretense of working properly. At first it loaded up fine, but attempting to play a video quickly brought about the purple screen issue, proving that reinstalling the graphics drivers did not help. This forced me to reset, and upon loading back up the second time after loading Safe Mode (which thus far has not encountered any of those issues mentioned above). At this point, I had the first assortment of issues mentioned. This continued for the next seventeen attempts at getting the computer to load properly. Normally I gain regular access to the computer without issue within three to four resets, so I know it's done pretending it'll be cooperative.

At this point, my only idea left is to reinstall Windows 7, but the thing is, I don't have an install disc for it, and have to put the program onto a flash drive. I also do not want to lose all the files on the computer, and I don't know if reinstalling the OS would cause me to lose those files.

Any ideas? Or will I have to put myself into debt again to get it fixed by a professional?
Old 2012-04-11, 15:27   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That sounds really bad, and not to be a software problem. Unfortunately, it's gonna take a bit of effort to deduce exactly where it's going wrong. Though you can always try System Restore to a month ago and then scanning with Malware Bytes just in case to rule out any chance of that. Safe mode of course, but this will be really tough to do anything. Completely uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers.

One possibility is overheating. Do you regularly open up your case and use a compressed air to blow out the dust?

What is your video card? How old is the computer? How much would a tech cost? Try clicking start menu ---> type dxdiag in the text bar, and hit enter. Then tell us what information it spit out.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 15:36   Link #3
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I don't have a system restore point set. Doing so will erase all the files on my computer.

Computer is definitely not overheating; Speccy's shows me the temperatures and they've always been in reasonable levels. Don't have any compressed air to use currently, but the inside of my computer (transparent side on the case) shows that there's hardly any dust there anyway.

The graphics card is a GeForce GTX-560 Ti. Computer's custom built and less than a year old. Not sure what the tech would cost but with a one-day-a-week job, I can't afford the costs anyway, not for a few months.
Old 2012-04-11, 15:43   Link #4
iceyfw

you can use a dummy hdd to reinstall windows 7 if you can manage to solve your problem of not having a W7 disc and see if problems still persist after a fresh installation.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 15:45   Link #5
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

As I feared, you did deduce all the easy steps. Though you should set up System Restore in the future-- it doesn't affect files, just programs and settings. I used to think it was useless, but it's saved me the trouble of a full reinstall.

Google found this: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226430 [it's not the exact same card... but similar issues and they use the same driver] You may have already searched for this, but I'd also imagine if you tried posting there, it'd help a lot. It does seem to be some kind of video card issue. Unless you've been hearing ticking sounds, it's not the hard drive.

From this, I can see people reverted to an old driver: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=225504

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-11, 15:52   Link #6
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

No ticking noises, no. Currently uninstalling the device drivers in safe mode and will reinstall an older driver. I don't think it'll help with the windows-crash-on-startup problem, though.
Old 2012-04-11, 15:55   Link #7
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
No ticking noises, no. Currently uninstalling the device drivers in safe mode and will reinstall an older driver. I don't think it'll help with the windows-crash-on-startup problem, though.
Well one thing at a time makes things easier to solve.

This is the driver they said was stable: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-wi...ql-driver.html

It supports both cards (your card and the card being discussed in the first link in my last post) so it is highly likely this driver can help. Though please double check "supported products" just to make sure we have the right one.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-11, 15:57   Link #8
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Ha ha...!

My other computer doesn't have internet access in safe mode. *facepalms*
Old 2012-04-11, 16:08   Link #9
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Mm? Safe mode with networking is usually the best option. Wait, does your other computer have trouble?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-11, 16:42   Link #10
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, I have that linked graphics driver downloaded and installed into the computer in question. Not that I can check if it'll work with the way Windows 7 is on the fritz, which it still is.

EDIT: I have two computers, the one I'm using to post with right now (which has its own troubles that I won't get into here) and my gaming computer (which is the custom-built one that's having the listed problems).
Old 2012-04-11, 16:55   Link #11
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

So even after a restart, the display driver install didn't help at all? Well... before we do anything too drastic let's see what's running once you successfully get the problem comp into safe mode again.

http://www.whatthetech.com/hijackthis/ Follow steps 1 and 2 (post the log) I guess if you download the file on the good comp and transfer it over it'll be easier.

Oh, and I forgot to address one of your questions: You CAN install windows 7 again without losing your files. Just do a standard install (all programs will be lost though) Usually people suggest a clean install, but if it'll give you time to backup your files, it's not really that bad.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-11, 17:05   Link #12
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I have no idea if the display driver's helping or not. My computer won't stop locking up when the computer loads outside of safe mode. I can't access any of my videos to check whether or not the purple screen thing is fixed.

Here's the log file:

Quote:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 3:04:23 PM, on 4/11/2012
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
Boot mode: Safe mode

Running processes:
E:\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Splashtop Connect SearchHook - {0F3DC9E0-C459-4a40-BCF8-747BD9322E10} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Splashtop\Splashtop Connect IE\AddressBarSearch.dll
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Splashtop Connect VisualBookmark - {0E5680D1-BF44-4929-94AF-FD30D784AD1D} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Splashtop\Splashtop Connect IE\STC.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Messenger Companion Helper - {9FDDE16B-836F-4806-AB1F-1455CBEFF289} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companioncore.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswWebRepIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [STCAgent] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Splashtop\Splashtop Connect IE\STCAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZyngaGamesAgent] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Splashtop\Splashtop Connect\ZyngaGamesAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StereoLinksInstall] "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /install1
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [GrpConv] grpconv -o
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companionlang.dll,-600 - {0000036B-C524-4050-81A0-243669A86B9F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companioncore.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvinit.dll
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AppleChargerSrv - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\AppleChargerSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Splashtop Connect Service (SCBackService) - Splashtop Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Splashtop\Splashtop Connect\BackService.exe
O23 - Service: Smart TimeLock Service (Smart TimeLock) - Gigabyte Technology CO., LTD. - C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\Smart6\Timelock\TimeMgmtDaemon.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service (Stereo Service) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvSCPAPISvr.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Splashtop Connect Firefox Software Updater Service (WCUService_STC_FF) - Splashtop Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Splashtop\Splashtop Connect Firefox Software Updater\WCUService.exe
O23 - Service: Splashtop Connect IE Software Updater Service (WCUService_STC_IE) - Splashtop Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Splashtop\Splashtop Connect IE Software Updater\WCUService.exe
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 8240 bytes
Old 2012-04-11, 17:20   Link #13
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

And... that looks clean. :S

The main thing I was looking for are the 04 entries-- they do load normally but not in safe mode. The only possible program there that could make the difference between you loading properly in safe mode and crashing in Normal mode is Avast... which sometimes has stability problems. The only thing I can suggest is temporarily uninstalling Avast as it has been known to have stability problems (and reinstalling later if needed) if possible and see if that helps. Though I am skeptical if that will fix your issue or not.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-11, 17:24   Link #14
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I should mention that that log was done while the computer was in safe mode, as it wasn't going to work in normal mode. I've just uninstalled avast and the computer's loading up in normal mode now.
Old 2012-04-11, 17:27   Link #15
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Oh, that's ok, Hijack This will still display the needed info even in safe mode. It's really the same thing as dealing with MSCONFIG when dealing with startup programs, except much less messier.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-11, 17:28   Link #16
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I seem to be doing better: today when the problems occurred, Steam wanted me to log in when normally it does that automatically and discreetly. Attempting to log in while the problem caused the computer to lock up if it can get that far.

I just logged in again, and it went through.

And I can access my folders. Looks like avast was the culprit. I'll keep an eye on things.
Old 2012-04-11, 17:34   Link #17
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Well, at least we have something going. I recommend you backup your files to your other comp or just anywhere like a external hard drive/ flash drive.

I also recommend you turn on System Restore so we can at least rollback to a better point of stability (aka now)

Start Menu---> computer ---> properties----> system protection ---> select your hard drive---> configure

Select "restore system settings and previous versions of files" and use the slider to reserve a good amount of space. A few GB is good enough, you don't need like 12% like the thing may ask.

Then go to start menu and type system restore and choose "create a restore point"

As for Avast, not sure what to do with it for now, but an alternative is Malware Bytes It's the one I use. The free version doesn't have on demand protection though but manually scanning once in a while helps a lot. They also have a free trial for the real time protection that can hold you over for a little bit.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-11, 17:39   Link #18
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The slider had a default of 10 GB for 1%, I figure that should be okay?

And I have Malware Bytes. Guess I'll be using that more often now.
Old 2012-04-11, 17:41   Link #19
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I only have 5 GB, and it lets me roll back for a month so 10 is nice.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-04-11, 17:42   Link #20
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Alright then. I've got the restore point created. Now all I need to do is check for that purple screen issue.