AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-03, 17:49   Link #1
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Fantasy manga with a hint of tragedy and romance

Hi there. I have just finished reading 07-Ghost up to the latest chapters, and I love this manga for the following reasons:

1) I love the art. There are bishies but not overly done. The art and the character designs are pleasant enough to look at.
2) Good character development. Most of the characters' past are properly explained and the bond between the characters are well-developed without rushing too much.
3) The balance between comedy and serious plot. This is where 07-Ghost excels. Unlike certain mangas, sometimes a number of chapters go by without a break in seriousness. It feels very dry, and the intensity of it is too much for me.
4) The long buried past that holds the key to the present mystery. I am dying to know what happens in the past in 07-ghost that leads to present events. There is a hint of tragedy that makes my anticipation all the more agonizing. I am not sure how to describe it, but it's the same feeling when one reads Rave. I suppose if I am to sum up, it's mystery+tragedy.
5) War and conflict between two countries. The epic feeling that ensues is something I highly enjoy in 07-ghost and hopefully in other mangas too.
6) You are not sure who the heck is the villain. You would think that the "apparent bad guy" is the main antagonist, but as you read further, you are not so sure......
7) I freaking love it when the fantasy/supernatural aspect involves heavenly beings.

I am not going to supply a list of mangas, because there's no point in that. I have been reading too many mature and seinen mangas that only recently I have begun to develop interest in fantasy mangas.Anyway, I know my request is ridiculously hard to fulfil, so just try your best. If I have to take my pick, I would say I give utmost priority to 2,4,5,and 7.

Btw, cookies for helpful suggestions!

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 17:56   Link #2
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

something similar to 07-Ghost, mangas that comes to my mind are
D.Gray man,
Pandora Hearts
both have steampunk styles like 07 ghost, both have nice fantasy and both are complicated, but there are several humorous moments,
pandora hearts is more of a mystery
D.gray man is more of shounen
but in both there is hardly any romance, but there is a little bishonen in Pandora Hearts ,but not overdone as you asked
Old 2012-08-03, 19:03   Link #3
Iron Maw
Banned

I also second D-Grayman and Pandora Hearts.

Aside from there's also:

Ubett Blat - Which seems to fit most of your criteria, but it is fairly dark with not a whole of comedy compared to the others mentioned here.
Amagoi - Another one that fits most of requirements, there isn't War or anything yet, but it has a strong adventurous vibe.
Akame ga Kill - This one is rather dark overall, but balanced with a lot lighthearted moments. It also plays around morality quite a bit and fills most of the quota.
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Deals mostly with economics and romance with a bit politics thrown for good measure, the series is more about ending a existing proxy war. Pretty much hits more or less of your targets except for tragedy.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2012-08-03 at 19:37.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 23:33   Link #4
Divini
Senpai!

Romeo x Juliet. The setting is very different than the original Shakespeare script, with a fantasy-like setting that actually fulfills a lot of your criteria.

Though if you know anything about Romeo and Juliet, you can replace "a hint" to "a large serving" of romance and tragedy.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 01:42   Link #5
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Thanks for taking the trouble and replying, everyone.

I read Pandora Hearts a few chapters, but I can't seem to like it for reasons unknown even to me. I stopped reading D-Gray Man a few months ago. As for RomeoxJuliet, I have watched the anime.

I will check out other suggestions. Please keep them coming and thanks again

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 03:11   Link #6
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
How about you give Immortal Rain a shot. I'm sure it'll meet the requirements that you're asking for.
Old 2012-08-04, 14:14   Link #7
Iron Maw
Banned

There is also Rain manga which is adaptation of a LN which seems to fit you taste.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 21:32   Link #8
Animefreak101

black butler (I think it's really good it's supernatural with some comedy, their are some sad parts too)
Animefreak101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, romance, supernatural, tragedy