AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-31, 11:21   Link #481
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The yandere thing was just a joke, IIRC. Her knife scenes made for prime meme material to others. As for her being tsundere... she has her moments. She's a light tsundere, I suppose, but she's got her moments.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:22   Link #482
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Not to sound condescending, but the yandere thing was probably brought up by people who don't even know what defines a yandere.
I actually only used Yandere because there exist Yandere types, I don't really think of Asuna as a Yandere, if anything she would be Tsundere, but only a bit...yeah
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 12:35   Link #483
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As for the tsundere/yandere issue... I too never got that impression. I think she's got spunk and is trying to show that she's no helpless damsel in distress (again, might initially seem ironic but it really isn't)... but I think her attitude is mostly a way of asserting herself. She's trying to built a rapport, but wants to keep a certain distance so they can stay safely as friends (until she's more sure of how he feels). I think she's basically playing a game to try to not let on that she's interested in him as a way of hoping he'll make the first move.
Or to not spook him. He does have issues. As Klein found out every time he tried to use candy to draw him into his van.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 12:37   Link #484
Adigard

Quote:
Not to sound condescending, but the yandere thing was probably brought up by people who don't even know what defines a yandere.
Likely, but people also like to wave the tsundere flag for almost all female anime characters these days. As has been pointed out it's not really appropriate for Asuna.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 13:54   Link #485
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

For her to be classed as a tsundere she needs to either

1) Put more effort into pushing Kirito away
2) Be more jealous

Depending on whether the emphasis lies on tsun, or dere, respectively. Asuna does not adhere to either. Not enough anyways. Exaggeration is a prime requirment for either form.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 14:31   Link #486
Karakuri

Quote:

2) Be more jealous

Depending on whether the emphasis lies on tsun, or dere, respectively. Asuna does not adhere to either. Not enough anyways. Exaggeration is a prime requirment for either form.
Well, my bad then. I never did really check to see exactly what was either, I thought it could be even if she acted only a litle, making it a " light tsundere " like it was said in this post...

My bad, I shouldn't have spoken without first getting full knowledge.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 15:51   Link #487
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think she's basically playing a game to try to not let on that she's interested in him as a way of hoping he'll make the first move.
That's one thing I like about her. She plays this courtship game like a real girl would (a smart girl, that is). She teases him and flirts with him just enough to draw his attention, but keeps enough distance to keep her game from him.

And it's working. You can tell he's already getting really close to her without even noticing.

It's in this aspect that Asuna is different from the typical anime girl. She not only knows what she wants, but more importantly, she knows how to get it!!
Old 2012-08-31, 16:43   Link #488
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:

2) Be more jealous

To be fair, the term "tsundere" has evolved in meaning since it first used. Your description here is only one of the many that fits. Not saying Asuna is a tsundere, but you know, one shouldn't adhere strictly to just one definition of such contemporary and tentative word.
Old 2012-08-31, 16:46   Link #489
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

She's had the occasional tsundere-ish moment, such as when she offered Kirito a meal for watching out for her while she napped. But yeah, I think most people think ZnT's Louise or the like when hearing the term tsundere, and there's no way Asuna's like that.
Old 2012-08-31, 22:40   Link #490
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post

im pretty sure the libido its not something you can compansate with games, sexual energy? i think its more his sexual frustration, specially at that age, when you pretty much have the need to satisfy your libido even if it is by yourself, another thing would be having low or no sex drive(in wich the later is actually a huge problem), but from some scenesin the anime it seems quite normal.
What he means is that instead of focusing on girls and the like, he dumped all his focus into playing the SAO Beta Test. He just used gaming terms,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I thought it was to play Eroge games...

Anyway, converting sexual energy to play games... not bad. I did mine (I don't think it in anything sexual in nature) balance... both in playing games and in studying... Beating the game and getting high grades...
He mentions at that time that he was more interested in games than girls. Methinks the narrator doth protest too much, but then at that age I was more interested in games than girls. (And still am - deleted my stash to free up more space to play the PS2 games that I missed in the last ten years )

-

If Asuna were to be classed as a Tsundere, I'd class her as a type-B - a girl who is usually sweet and dere to most people, deredere to the love interest, and occasionally tsun when the world - or the love interest - does something stupid. Refer to Hime from Brain Powered - she's a classic Type-B tsundere who's deredere to Yuu, but tsun whenever he does something stupid (like that running gag of Yuu kissing her to make her shut up, without actually understanding the significance of that action).

Notice how Asuna is mostly dere to Kirito, and there are two times she's strongly tsun - when just waking up after her nap, and when Kirito groped her by accident, after she crashed into him.

Ah, btw, a little elaboration on that scene from the light novels, which makes that scene a whole lot funnier, IMO:

Spoiler for Crash Into Hello, Novel Version notes:

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-08-31 at 22:59.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 23:04   Link #491
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokaru View Post
There's nothing wrong with a teenager like Kirito doing that though. Not everyone is a horny monkey.

I remember I also pour my energy into playing console games at that age. Oh boy, I miss those days playing through FF7-9.
I was. Just had ZERO game back then.
Old 2012-09-01, 06:19   Link #492
anigu
Game maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

Ah, btw, a little elaboration on that scene from the light novels, which makes that scene a whole lot funnier, IMO:

Spoiler for Crash Into Hello, Novel Version notes:
I didn't remember that part. It's really funny to see Kirito was being such a dough in this scene, I laughed at this a lot

But I think this kind of situation also happens a lot in real life. When you're panic, you can't remember anything
anigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 21:14   Link #493
Kyuu
=^^=

I have to say: the cooking scene is so adorable -- it makes me wanna cry.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 16:59   Link #494
kitten320

Oh wow, after all this time they are remembering beta testers. Isn't it too late though? 2 years have passed, whatever progress they did at the start shouldn't matter much now because there is no guarantee that they were able to keep upgrading fast.

Also beta testers are called egoist yet so far we didn't see a single beta tester except Kirito and that random blue haired dude. Both are positive so where do they get bad rumored from and why should I believe and care if I didn't see example yet? And we are 8 episode in already.

Otherwise a good episode actually.
I really loved the part where they were discussing how everyone are getting used to the game and giving up on finishing it. Now that's something I can believe and am glad that they included it.
Old 2012-11-10, 05:21   Link #495
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Oh wow, after all this time they are remembering beta testers. Isn't it too late though? 2 years have passed, whatever progress they did at the start shouldn't matter much now because there is no guarantee that they were able to keep upgrading fast.

Also beta testers are called egoist yet so far we didn't see a single beta tester except Kirito and that random blue haired dude. Both are positive so where do they get bad rumored from and why should I believe and care if I didn't see example yet? And we are 8 episode in already.

Otherwise a good episode actually.
I really loved the part where they were discussing how everyone are getting used to the game and giving up on finishing it. Now that's something I can believe and am glad that they included it.
The blue heared dude did try to get the boss drop item for himself in episode two...
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 13:19   Link #496
kitten320

But he did aim to help everyone over all and died saying "protect them". Besides no one knew that he was one so he left positive impression.
Old 2012-11-10, 14:45   Link #497
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
It's pretty much as much an insult meaning selfish bastard as it is a label for beta testers at this point.

Quote:
Remember how back in the first episode, Klein was getting his butt kicked by the equivalent of a slime, and probably would have been killed by it without Kirito tutoring him in the game system? Once the death game was announced, a majority of the beta testers did the same thing that Kirito did and ditched the newbies, and ran out to secure the best advantage for themselves. Leaving the people like Klein that were simply inexperienced in the system to get killed by low level monsters without help from the more experienced players. Hence why the first month had such a disproportionately high number of deaths.

We haven't seen many beta testers because a good chunk of those that rushed out got killed by overconfidence, but that's not something people know. And if the other surviving known beta players are anything like Kirito, they're likely to be leaving people with the same sort of first impression that Kirito gave Lizabeth, or Kirito left the bandit guild with.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 14:56   Link #498
kitten320

But it's been 2 years now. Even as an insult it doesn't make much sense at this point.

What means their reputation should be getting better now at least a bit. I doubt that all of them stayed loners like Kirito.
Old 2013-01-30, 13:17   Link #499
AnimeVoltage

Wanted to ask, what's the name of the song when Kuradeel duels with Kirito?
It appears frequently throughout the anime.
I'd appreciate a reply.
AnimeVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 13:47   Link #500
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Confront Battle.

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion