AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-09-05, 01:28   Link #2241
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtengcy View Post
Kind of remind me of Skynet in terminator....gaining self-awareness and fighting against human that creates them. I am totally against using "bottom-up" AI in weapons but if used on bots like personal maid or something, I wouldn`t mind. Something like a cross-references to "CHOBIT"
Doesn't Chobit implement a bottom up AI while the other bots implement top bottom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
If the AIs turn on the humans, they could be simply dealt with deletion. No matter where the AIs are, they are connected to the main operation system that will control them so if they rebel it'd be noticeable and could be dealt with.
Like slavery! /shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
But learning doesn't work that way. These AIs are sentient, they learn like humans, so they can't learn to disobey just one specific rule. That's ridiculous.

What they're ultimately learning from Kirito is a general free will: to think by themselves instead of obeying rules (any rule) blindly, and choose accordingly. Basically, to be humans.

Yeah, but humans are paid, and they have rights and laws protecting those rights. AIs have nothing like that. Or are they going to give AIs all that? I doubt it, and even if they do, that itself would be a totally different Pandora Box to deal with.

So no, that whole ideal is full of holes.
People can easily to fooled, coerced, etc. How can AIs be any different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
This chapter 2 has more than enough material to cover more than half the debates on SAO...

And to recap what I told Netto, Accel World 12's afterwords confirmed that SAO volume 11 will be out in late Winter (I'm expecting February 10th)
asking, how long will vol 11 cover from the web novels?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 02:05   Link #2242
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
People can easily to fooled, coerced, etc. How can AIs be any different?
They're learning from Kirito. They're not going to be fooled easily.
Old 2012-09-05, 02:34   Link #2243
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Higa's "miltary research" is now bound to fail.... lol

However, this research benefits another thing: realism in mmos. I mean... if we continue to follow everything so far, somebody's gonna come up with some sort of realistic mmo with real people in it.... and of course, there's also the faint probability of connecting the technologies of AW and SAO... hmm... if I consider it.... I would want a bottom top AI in my computer....
Old 2012-09-05, 06:28   Link #2244
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
Is alicization the last story arc? Also, is Vol 10 the last one?
As Netto pointed out, it'll probably go for a nice chunk of books. At the same time the author will be working on 'Progressors' and redoing the beginning of SAO in a new series of LN's taking the story chronologically by floor and filling in the gaps.

So I doubt the series will end anytime soon

Whether or not we get a second season of anime though will probably depend on the DVD/BD sales figures, but there's certainly enough material to put out a 2nd season and have everything end right before UW starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
I've been trying to get this conversation about AI's rights and all that good stuff, yet everyone seems to ignore it.
Had actually planned to complain to a mod that a few wordy fools were jabbering endlessly in the wrong thread and ask to have it moved, just, didn't yet ^^:;

Quote:
There's a fair chunk of irony there, since Kirito himself has been fooled from the day he escaped from SAO into the real world =^_^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
And to recap what I told Netto, Accel World 12's afterwords confirmed that SAO volume 11 will be out in late Winter (I'm expecting February 10th)
We will happily await your future translation efforts!
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 09:16   Link #2245
willx
Nyaaan~~

Okay folks, I know I started the whole debate that seems to have gone slightly awry, but I'm back here after reading everyone's arguments..

And in the end after reviewing everyone's arguments, I still don't buy the premise that a "bottom-up AI" is 1) necessary for what they're trying to achieve and 2) would be what the military would be looking for - I remain unconvinced that stubborn military men would put their fate in potentially unreliable weapons.

In fact like in the real world we all live in, "a suitably complex top-down AI" would be much more effective, and achieving "true AI" is more of an academic exercise/desire. At the end of the day, of you're convinced, Great! -- but I feel a bit sad that Reki hasn't gotten me to suspend my disbelief, when he otherwise is a very convincing writer..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 10:31   Link #2246
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Okay folks, I know I started the whole debate that seems to have gone slightly awry, but I'm back here after reading everyone's arguments..

And in the end after reviewing everyone's arguments, I still don't buy the premise that a "bottom-up AI" is 1) necessary for what they're trying to achieve and 2) would be what the military would be looking for - I remain unconvinced that stubborn military men would put their fate in potentially unreliable weapons.

In fact like in the real world we all live in, "a suitably complex top-down AI" would be much more effective, and achieving "true AI" is more of an academic exercise/desire. At the end of the day, of you're convinced, Great! -- but I feel a bit sad that Reki hasn't gotten me to suspend my disbelief, when he otherwise is a very convincing writer..
It might as well be that Reki didn't meant to disclose everything in Chapter 2, you know... and simply elaborate on it more on sooner chapters...
Old 2012-09-05, 10:54   Link #2247
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post

I dunno... the concept of AI is not defined yet. Sure we know they are artificial intelligence, but just how intelligence can they be? Just what is a "True AI" ?

Military normally go for efficiency, so AIs would definitely be on their radar.

we'll see I guess.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-09-05 at 16:12. Reason: Off topic bit removed!
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 00:29   Link #2248
DoomRavager

That also brings up the question of 'how complex is sufficiently complex', if they want an AI that is flexible enough to adapt to and improvise for all possible contingencies in a rapidly changing battlefield situation. Do they have the capability to be making a top-down AI on the level of complexity they want? Yui's existence might suggest that they could be, but well.
DoomRavager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 17:12   Link #2249
Solafighter
Hige

I have just reached volume 5. Oh my gash, what developments.

Can't wait to continue read it in the next days.
Old 2012-09-06, 19:50   Link #2250
StellarCell
시논 짱!

How fast is time accelerated in STL again?
Old 2012-09-07, 06:19   Link #2251
CNine
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarCell View Post
How fast is time accelerated in STL again?
varied it's up to 1000 times
CNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 23:28   Link #2252
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Reki's written a short story regarding the day before their marriage in sao o.o
Old 2012-09-09, 01:43   Link #2253
novalysis

Well, in actuality, any such A.Is would be designed so that they can think for themselves when is the time to press the button, just as well as any hypothetical human controller.

In addition, I'd suspect that it makes little sense to risk an expensive A.I as a Foot super soldier, when making it the "Knight" or Controller of a Platoon of Infantry drones or a Flight of UAVs would make far more sense. A.Is are the King Piece. Their pawns are the non sentient drones and automated weapon platforms under their command. Their role is to process a complex, increasingly automated battlefield far more efficiently than any Regimental Commander could hope to. j

Finally, I think more realistically too, there would be plans indeed to put these A.Is into the role of both Civil and even Military Administrative duties. The scope of deployment on their battlefield is likely to be rare- A.Is wouldn't magically erase WMDs, so I'd argue that most combat A.Is would be in Counter Terrorist and Military Strategizing and Logistics duties. And if there's a surplus of Military A.Is, many may well be redesigned or re-purposed for the Civilian Sector.

Indeed, this might be Kirito's gift to humanity. A.Is with a strong sense of principals, a great deal of autonomy and ultimately the competency to run just not the Battlefield, but humanity's cities and civil infrastructure upon which their militaries are based on.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 03:24   Link #2254
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Aincrad stories chronological compilation

Hi everyone. With the onset of the anime, I thought it would be nice to have all the Aincrad stories in chronological order, so I took the time to make one, please get the PDFs and EPUBs here

http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php#7c0nr59k23fmd.

There are two versions,

1. Sword Art Online Aincrad Vol Full has all the translated stories so far, including the incomplete chapters from ME and chapter 16.5. I will update these files as and when there is a new completed chapter.

2. Sword Art Online Aincrad Vol Origin has all the completed stories without chapter 16.5.

Thank you very much for all those who have translated this awesome series! Please enjoy the Aincard arc from the beginning to the end, until the Author comes up with his official one!

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 15:58   Link #2255
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Sword Art Online Light Novels Have 5.85 Million Copies

Congrats And if you toss in Accel World's sales number, Kawahara is half-way-there to taking the top spot !
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:00   Link #2256
Sumeragi
Banned

It would still be near impossible to take the top spot from Kamachi.exe. Still a remarkable achievement.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:00   Link #2257
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Like I've said- half way there
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:30   Link #2258
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It would still be near impossible to take the top spot from Kamachi.exe. Still a remarkable achievement.
Do you count the sales for all his work or only To Aru?

Still, the since the start of the anime 1.25 million copies have been sold, the anime piqued the interest of quite some viewers.
Old 2012-09-09, 23:03   Link #2259
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Anyone who can read japanese explain what is this T_T Vol 1???!!!
xBakaChanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 23:05   Link #2260
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
Anyone who can read japanese explain what is this T_T Vol 1???!!!
Sword Art Online Progressive 1, a additional retelling of SAO Aincrad. Stories include 'Aria in the Starless Night', 'Rondo of the Transistent Sword' and I believe 'Sound of Water, Sound of Hammer' (Or is it one of the Material Editions...?). Will have rewrites though if the translators are going to compile them as Progressive 1.

Looking at the price, it does look to be in the 400+ range in terms of pages...
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality