AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-14, 22:48   Link #21
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One thing I do while rewatching some shows is follow the commentary in the series thread here on AS. I have done this for shows like Ergo Proxy and Welcome to the NHK! where the meaning of what is happening isn't always apparent at first glance. Ergo Proxy came out before I started participating here, and I watched it entirely on my own. When i watched it again a few months ago, I certainly understood it better reading what some intelligent AS members like Mr. Prophet though about the show as it aired. NHK is not so pretentiously obscure as Ergo Proxy, but it is rich enough that re-reading the comments here brought out features I missed even on second viewing. I think I re-read the commentary for Cross Game when I last re-watched it as well. That show has a very informative thread here, too.

Eureka Seven appeared before I started watching anime, and my couple of attempts to get into it have so far been unsuccessful. So I don't know how useful the thread here will be, but I will link to it for you just because I'm a nice guy.

Otherwise I have no particular protocol for re-watching a show. I plowed through Hikaru no Go in just a couple of days within the past year. I find it compelling for the first 65 episodes or so. It's not deep, though, so while I think I may have perused the series thread here at some point, I didn't bother to read it when I last marathoned Hikaru.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 07:04   Link #22
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I agree with the others that the best way to rewatch is to watch it with other people. Baiscally you're both entertained by what's happening to the story and the reaction of the people you're watching with.
Old 2012-11-19, 12:42   Link #23
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I used to think rewatching with other people was the best way...

But the amount of creepy, sexist (towards both genders and from both genders) and ghoulish comments I've heard in group viewing sessions have left me unable to believe that. I think there are some shows that are good to watch/re-watch in groups and some that just shouldn't be.

Cases where it was worthwhile for me would be ones like Minami-ke S1, Kaiji S1, Usagi Drop, Paranoia Agent and The Flying Ghost Ship. Not saying that it would be the case for everyone with these titles, but when I did it, the result was very positive. I've found comedy pitched at a fairly accessible level with a bit of spice or insanity (Minami-ke, undeniable heartwarmingness (Usagi Drop), red-blooded awesomeness (Kaiji), deliciously thrilling mindflock (Paranoia Agent) or so abusrdly bad it's freaking hilarious (Flying Ghost Ship) can make for good times indeed.

Cases I truly regretted it would be Sword Art Online, Garden of Sinners, Shiki, Fate/Zero and pretty much any sports title. Being able to appreciate Sword Art Online becomes virtually impossible when people nearby are screaming every minute for a much higher body count or that they think they could do this show better...Garden of Sinners, there are just some things you never want to hear a person say...and when a couple of dozen say it, it permanently makes you sick and despise them for life...also shows you how many people can't handle slow pacing even if their life depended on it. Shiki, I don't think there was ever a moment people wouldn't shut up or stop speaking over every moment of dialogue from the bloodlust...no I don't want to hear about how you just got off from that dead body or what you would have done to it...Fate/Zero, a title that seems perfect for turning friends into mortal enemies and arguing over anything while it's showing. And as for sports anime, they just don't seem to go over well in groups from my experience.

Personally, my main decider for when and how to re-watch a title is my mood. I can't just force myself to be in the right frame of mind and vibe to watch a show, even if a new episode is out or the like. I need to be in the mood to watch that type of show. If I'm in the mood for some action or a badass protagonist, I'm not going to watch a feelgood or moe title at that moment.

Group sessions can help see other perspectives. But they can also reveal things about people you wish you never knew...so tread lightly when you do a group viewing.
Old 2012-11-19, 12:51   Link #24
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
When I re-watch an anime, I try to find a friend to watch it with that hasn't watched it before. That adds an "extra dimension" to a re-watch. It can also be interesting to get a newcomer's initial reactions to a show (and where s/he thinks the show will go) when you already know where it will go.
Yea I do this a lot too.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 00:56   Link #25
Zalis

I try to find a different version from what I saw the first time, like a different fansub group, an English dub, or the official subtitled version. Like Echoes, I've found more motivation to get my money's worth out of titles owned on DVD, whether it's a show I previously saw downloaded/streamed or something originally bought blind on disc. I also keep a list of "still un-rewatched" series that I originally saw in 2006, 2007, 2008 etc. that shows what the biggest rewatch priorities are, at least on a chronological basis.
Zalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 02:33   Link #26
judasmartel
*Author

I'd usually watch a subbed version of something I have watched first as a dub, and a dubbed version (English or Filipino, our own language) of something I have watched first as a sub.

Now let's not go into that kind of debate. It would be messy.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 10:23   Link #27
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
... and my favourite series, Haibane Renmei... You'll be surprised how much difference an older, more mature perspective would make when it comes to catching details you once missed.
I should probably re-watch Haibane Renmei. I enjoyed it my first time around, but I suspect my younger self did not fully understand the subtleties. I could certainly tell they were there... almost like a good poem of which you have yet to grasp the meaning.

I've only rewatched two anime, if I remember correctly. One is Maison Ikkoku - I rewatched it bit by bit during the night while visiting family in Ireland for a month. I really loved that series and was going through a romance/slice-of-life phase at the time. I became really engrossed in the world and attached to the characters and felt I needed to spend more time in that fictional zone.

Second is Dragonball Z - pure nostalgia on this one. I still feel excited and pumped up watching it, just like when I was a kid. I enjoyed it week to week in the form of the sleeker Dragonball Kai.

I also rewatched the original Hajime no Ippo with a friend of mine, I wouldn't count that as I viewed it not because of my own desire to rewatch it, but to show him what a great show it was. Of course, I enjoyed it thoroughly the second view-through (strangely, the second season aired soon afterwards without my prior knowledge).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 22:44   Link #28
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I think the best way to re-watch anime is to marathon it.

I generally don't enjoy watching anime with other people. But, that's not limited to anime. That's true of any tv shows/movies. I've never felt the passive medium to be something that is enhanced in any way by company. Not to say that I don't do so, especially if there's a woman involved, but there's usually ulterior motives at play, or at least a concession to social standards, rather than any inherent wish on my part.

Some exceptions are if it's something that invites commentary while watching. Football, as an example. But, any show with a plot...the last thing I want is to hear someone talking during it.

I also often give a dub a shot when re-watching an anime series (I can't think of an anime series where I watched the dub first, unless you count Robotech as the same thing as Macross *hides in a hole*, or Voltron-which I watched as a pre-schooler in English).

Also, I re-watch a lot of anime. It's like books. You get to a point in life where you've caught up with the majority of older content, and new content comes out far too slowly to satisfy, so I fill in the gaps by re-watching old content.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 17:38   Link #29
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

The best way to re-watch an anime, especially if it is your all time favourite, is to marathon it. Get some popcorn, drinks or whatever you want. Make short breaks in between. Long breaks tend to make you not want to continue re-watching it. Absolutely no distraction are allowed because if it does occur, you'll be a mean person to whomever/whatever distracts you.

Hope I helped! Enjoy re-watching your animes.
Old 2012-11-28, 17:44   Link #30
Siphine
The Dreamer

I would say look for things you didn't before since you were so focused on the main characters

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 12:08   Link #31
mican

Location: Somewhere in a distant patch of green staring into the luminous starry sky.
My simple guide.
1. Clear all thoughts. Make yourself succeptible to all Influence

2. Find the best enviroment. Let the anime be the only source of perception.
I personally prefer the night.
3. Time. Try to wait a while and forget as much as you can.

4. Mood. Be at a.sober and calm state where you can best take in experience.

5. Distraction. During your period of wait, experience life to the fullest and get your focus of mind off anime. Once you've finished, enjoy.your anime!.

GL HF
mican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 15:32   Link #32
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I started over with Hyouge Mono now that someone has picked up the baton and begun subbing the remaining episodes. This show has such a complex plot with a wide array of characters that I found I can only watch two episodes per night. Some shows demand attentive viewing; this is one of them.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote