AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 228 77.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 13.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 5.80%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.68%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-26, 13:00   Link #381
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Lol ... he says that that's what it says in the novel, goof XD
Old 2006-06-26, 13:02   Link #382
Gene Yuss
I Cheat at Solitare

Actually, I edited it.... my bad.
Old 2006-06-26, 13:12   Link #383
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Actually I was giving a light praise for your data lol, since I didn't sound like I did, I shall give you some cookies instead

We had a little discussion earlier on about the reverse chants, but we couldn't figure out what Yuki said, so now we know lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-26, 13:46   Link #384
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Yuss
I'll do better than writing those down. I found a soundfile of Yuki's chanting, reversed and slowed down like Asakura's:
http://djbouche.net/yuki_rev_10.ogg

English approximation:
SELECT serial_code
FROM database
WHERE code='data'
ORDER BY aggressive_combat_data
HAVING terminate_mode

Or, at least, that's what it says in the novel, and since some of it is in English (The Caps'd bits) (You can clearly hear "SELECT" at the beginning of her reversed chant) I can assume it's probably something along those lines.
um... wow.... requoted for Great Justice... this is something that was completely unnecessary to the show's quality but ... its there. They could have just had Nagato's VA blabber anything and transmogrified it.
Old 2006-06-26, 13:49   Link #385
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Oh well, and there are some people that think Suzumiya is not a masterpiece...
Old 2006-06-26, 14:25   Link #386
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm in danger of making this series one of my "does this person have a clue" meter checks. I have a small collection of examples from literature, film, and other works that if the person "doesn't get it" or "thinks its stupid" --- they're going to be found to not have a lot of credibility in other areas as well. They don't have to score "yes" on all of them, but some significant portion of them. Anime is not some "higher" form of human endeavor but some works certainly dance around the edges nicely.
Old 2006-06-26, 14:28   Link #387
Gene Yuss
I Cheat at Solitare

Heh, that's neat. What are some of the others?
Old 2006-06-26, 15:23   Link #388
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, my checklist of "clue" meter and discriminators:
I try to avoid political checks... but if they've read Noam Chomsky and William F Buckley thats a clue they're listening to diverse arguments. Do they read any non-fiction? Keep up with the sciences at all?

"Shakespeare is stupid" or "Mark Twain is boring" immediately springs to mind as a downcheck. Have they read Kurt Vonnegut's stuff... Douglas Adams can be silly and absurdist but does the reader see the skewering going on?

Musically, is their range diverse and well beyond the "trendy" channels of corporate product? I find music of value from almost any culture, time period, or part of the world and my collection reflects it. I'm fond of certain types of music but its not all I'll listen to.

Film-wise .... there''s some great film from the 30s and 40s -- will they watch it even though its black and white? Do they like the Marx Brothers? If they've seen Animaniacs, do they spot the connections? Have they seen any foreign films outside of the few breakthrough items? (Crouching whatever. Das Boot ... in the original language with subtitles?).

You'll notice I haven't mentioned anime yet. That's not a prime discriminator for me though I may put them on a conversion track. If they're familiar with anime,
1) Do they admit that they may love an anime and its still a messy pile of dreck? (good Naruto check there... it is fine to like Naruto, its questionable to assert it has lasting value or is the "greatest" anything...) <shrug> I like Negima but its certainly a messy manga and produced a lousy anime ...
2) Do they understand that there really isn't a single anime that is "original" but they all borrow from themes, motifs, and archetypes found elsewhere? Many people argue that KoR is on some lofty perch and jewel. I had mixed opinions - it was unusual for its time (spending a lot of time on character development) but I'm not fond of the "fat cheek speed racer" style of art so its a bit hard for me to watch. I also thought the magical aspects were kind of silly and distracting. Is it original? no..... but it was a mostly well told story.
2) This is just a personal discriminator: do they like romance anime? I just prefer to spend more time with such folk... though I find that the "my girl must win no matter how sucky the plot" crowd fall into the religious zealot slots and are no fun to talk to. I tend to like romance with comedic tones ... though I prefer it when they take the archetype characters and twist them up a bit. Haruhi is one of those shows.

Haruhi may end up on my list simply because it combines well-known aspects of science fiction, romance, music, and comedy in a way I've not seen before. Its not the *best* of any one of those things, but cumulatively it adds up to some excellent packaging. It certainly has spurred a lot of people to research physics, pseudo-sciences, other fiction, the definitions of anime archetypes....

The Haruhi anime has enough simultaneous layers of information being presented that I can use it to tell how well someone picks up on details or processes multiple streams of data. I've seen a few reviews that write the show off ... usually they're just looking at one facet of the show (>comedy >romance >action >ooh look stereotype characters (missing the deviations) ) ... so that gives me some clues about their care or abilities in observation. The show doesn't take the *easy* route to popularity - it remains true to the novels (though it does add in a lot of cultural reference and homage bits, those are not key to the story).

In the end, the purpose of anime is to get people to buy the products (novels, figures, dvds, manga, etc) ... sometimes accidently along the way the staff creates something that matters that has lasting value for a lot of people. The true test will be, can I sit down two or twenty years from now and watch this series and enjoy it? I'm thinking I can so far.
Old 2006-06-26, 15:54   Link #389
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Yuss
Heh, that's neat. What are some of the others?
FLCL? KGNE? I'm not attempting to put words (or titles) in Vexx's mouth. Also, I wasn't really paying attention when both these titles were released, but I have noticed some vestigial backlash. It seems to happen whenever a genre fiction author attempts to "transcend the genre." Three camps of detractors will often form:

1. People who get it and think it's a failed attempt. (Of course, these people often have very valid opinions.)

2. People who get it or kind of get it and find all such attempts suspicious and pretentious or just something they can't relate to. (People who require a very large dose of escapism in everything they view or read often fall into this category. They don't want to be troubled with matters of art or realism.)

3. People who just don't get it.

I've seen a lot of group three types complaining about Haruhi. They claim it's just a simple high school comedy with cute girls and elements of science fiction randomly tossed in.
Old 2006-08-25, 12:12   Link #390
Noppapana
&gt; Haruhiist &lt;

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
does someone whose name are written on the black board on 07.54 ?
cuz isnt the symbol like someone loves someone
Old 2006-08-25, 15:45   Link #391
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana
does someone whose name are written on the black board on 07.54 ?
cuz isnt the symbol like someone loves someone
That's actually a quick shot of the desk where that graphitti is carved into.
Closed Thread