Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-06-24, 12:41   Link #341
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri View Post
Considering that most anime that we watch is targeted to teenagers, and a lot of us are already in our 20s.

I can honestly say it doesnt matter if there's no anime targeted to the elderly, All that matters is if they find a show they like.

For all we know it could be something as childish as some kind of hello kitty anime XD
/thread

age has nothing to do w/ what you can enjoy
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 15:03   Link #342
Trisse
Habitual Lurker

Who cares about age? Anime seems one of those things that can be shared regardless of age/generation, always providing interesting topics for people who normally wouldn't have much to talk about. Truth be told, I noticed that while majority of anime seems targeted at teenagers at most, much of it becomes more enjoyable once past this age. As a friend of mine once stated, "you need to be well past school age to really enjoy school-related genre", I think I can agree with that.

Whenever I run into people going "WTF, you watchin' CARTOONS?!?" I typically just make fun of their watching tv soap all evening, or getting all worked up over some silly little thing like soccer league
Trisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 18:22   Link #343
Noobchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisse View Post
Who cares about age? Anime seems one of those things that can be shared regardless of age/generation, always providing interesting topics for people who normally wouldn't have much to talk about. Truth be told, I noticed that while majority of anime seems targeted at teenagers at most, much of it becomes more enjoyable once past this age. As a friend of mine once stated, "you need to be well past school age to really enjoy school-related genre", I think I can agree with that.

Whenever I run into people going "WTF, you watchin' CARTOONS?!?" I typically just make fun of their watching tv soap all evening, or getting all worked up over some silly little thing like soccer league
Yeah, no kidding: Anime is way better than normal TV (at least in America). And yeah, I know plenty of sane adults who watch cartoons and anime because they like it. The fact that it's considered socially unacceptable for adults to watch anime, or even cartoons, is simply due to a**holes in our society making up these stigmas.
Noobchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 20:09   Link #344
gold_orb
disrespectful heckler

i think times are changing. now that things like anime and games are becuming much more main stream i think our generation will continue waching them until we die.

i certianly will. as time changes, sociaty standards change alot. for the longest time when i was younger i didn't know that there were grown ups who wached anime, nor did i know that there were girls who played video games.
gold_orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 08:15   Link #345
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
how old do you have to be when watching anime goes from socially acceptable to not so acceptable?
Depends what kind of Anime you watch, if you're 25 - 31+ and still giggling like a school girl while watching The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, well, you have a problem.

Last edited by Dingo; 2008-06-25 at 10:13.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 11:32   Link #346
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Depends what kind of Anime you watch, if you're 25 - 31+ and still giggling like a school girl while watching The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, well, you have a problem.
Why?

I haven't seen that particular series, but is there something wrong with laughing and enjoying something, even if you're 31? Or is it because the subject matter of the series doesn't warrant a giggle?

I guess I'm wondering what the rationale is to say that certain "kinds" of anime are problematic for an adult to watch and enjoy.

Ciao!
KitsuneNineTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 11:41   Link #347
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneNineTails View Post
Why?

I haven't seen that particular series, but is there something wrong with laughing and enjoying something, even if you're 31? Or is it because the subject matter of the series doesn't warrant a giggle?
I believe the point was "Giggling like a school-girl", which to me seems somewhat different from laughing at it because it's funny. (And it most certainly is a funny show, albeit one that is very hard to actually put in one specific genre, so I'll just put it in the "awesome"-genre, along with One Piece, Death Note, Azumanga and anything by Kyoto Animation.)
Old 2008-06-25, 11:48   Link #348
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
I believe the point was "Giggling like a school-girl"
Correct

there is a difference between watching and enjoying XXX show at said age

and giggling like a maniac at the sight of a new haruhi figurine/sleeping under yoko blankets.
Old 2008-06-25, 14:18   Link #349
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Correct

there is a difference between watching and enjoying XXX show at said age

and giggling like a maniac at the sight of a new haruhi figurine/sleeping under yoko blankets.
I understand the difference you are trying to distinguish here, but I'm still puzzled by why this latter behavior is problematic. I don't believe this sort of behavior actually harms anyone else, so I guess I don't understand why it's okay to ostracize people for this. I mean, it's not MY thing, but there are a lot of things I don't really care for myself, and a few of those things are a lot more destructive, yet socially acceptable (sport hunting for one). This seems pretty damn harmless compared to shooting down innocent animals...

I guess the next step would be to define how far is okay and how far isn't? Is there a line? If I'm a fan of a series, can I get a few posters? Or is there a number limit on that? At what point do I go from "fan" to "psychologically disturbed"? I can't get figurines or blankets, I get that. Music? Is collecting all the soundtracks okay? How about drawing. Can I draw the characters myself? Or is that too much... I guess you can see where this is heading. Is there a point where there is an actual psychological disorder at work? Who sets that limit and why? How many things are considered disorders simply because they aren't popular to society at the time (homosexuality for one)? Or is this purely a "haha, that guy is a LOSER" sort of rule? In which case, honestly, I think we all fall under that in the eyes of one crowd or another (eye of the beholder and all that). Doesn't make them right, just closed minded.

Ciao!
Old 2008-06-25, 16:59   Link #350
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
stuff
hehehe

You wanna know what society thinks or what the Dingo thinks? I think it's pretty damn shameful to see a grown man cover himself head-to-toe with the giant image of a preteen anime girl.

I wouldn't consider you a man or want to talk to you IRL, I would probably make fun of you too any chance I get.

If you are 25+ and you play anime girl dating games I think of your existence as rather funny.

Basically I'm looking down on you.

But of course that's just me, now Kitsune old buddy it seems like you're 31, and I mean at that age I could see where you're coming from with all this white knighting, but It's pretty depressing man.If you are a true fan, and really don't think age has anything to do with liking anime you wouldn't care what the Dingo or society thinks of you man.Enjoy yourself, date as many 2D girls as you can.

I was trying to answer the OP's question to the best of my ability but it seems like I've stumbled upon a comedy goldmine

Last edited by Dingo; 2008-06-25 at 17:33.
Old 2008-06-25, 18:00   Link #351
Noobchan

Quote:
hehehe

You wanna know what society thinks or what the Dingo thinks? I think it's pretty damn shameful to see a grown man cover himself head-to-toe with the giant image of a preteen anime girl.

I wouldn't consider you a man or want to talk to you IRL, I would probably make fun of you too any chance I get.

If you are 25+ and you play anime girl dating games I think of your existence as rather funny.

But of course that's just me, now Kitsune old buddy it seems like you're 31, and I mean at that age I could see where you're coming from with all this white knighting, but It's pretty depressing man.If you are a true fan, and really don't think age has anything to do with liking anime you wouldn't care what the Dingo or society thinks of you man.Enjoy yourself, date as many 2D girls as you can.

I was trying to answer the OP's question to the best of my ability but it seems like I've stumbled upon a comedy goldmine
I think you missed the entire point. If a person does something that only effects themselves, and has no harmful effect on society, then what does it matter? Yeah, I think it's a bit weird to hear about old men with hentai fetishes, but who am I to judge them about it? You seem to be needlessly insulting Kitsune, who came at this topic with a completely innocent and actually intelligent point of view.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kitsune say that he wasn't that sort of person. Oh wait, I'm right:
Quote:
I mean, it's not MY thing,

Last edited by Noobchan; 2008-06-25 at 18:10.
Old 2008-06-25, 18:03   Link #352
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
I think you missed the entire point
Oh no, I did no such thing, I was just telling him how I felt since I can't speak for Society.I'm not an oracle, I don't know what EVERYONE out there thinks, but I have a pretty good idea of what most do and certainly what I do .I wasn't trying to directly insult him, it's just what I think of him and people of the kind.I was being honest.
Old 2008-06-25, 18:07   Link #353
Noobchan

Quote:
Oh no, I did no such thing, I was just telling him how I felt since I can't speak for Society.I'm not an oracle, I don't know what EVERYONE out there thinks, but I have a pretty good idea of what most do and certainly what I do .I wasn't trying to directly insult him, it's just what I think of him and people of the kind.I was being honest.

Fair enough, I'm less pissed off now.
Old 2008-06-25, 20:55   Link #354
Scion

Age also depends on the series
if you're say twenty and you're watching Pokemon or something, then there's definitely something wrong with you
If you were watching a serious anime like Death Note or something, that would probably be fine
Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 21:08   Link #355
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I watched Pokemon in my forties with my daughter as well as attending a couple of the movies. I enjoyed some parts of it even as an adult.

I remember distinctly a night spent with my mother watching Warner Bros. Road Runner cartoons; she was in her seventies and laughed throughout.

What's wrong with that?

Young people are much too narrow-minded about what constitutes "acceptable" behavior by their elders.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 23:03   Link #356
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I remember distinctly a night spent with my mother watching Warner Bros. Road Runner cartoons; she was in her seventies and laughed throughout.

What's wrong with that?

Young people are much too narrow-minded about what constitutes "acceptable" behavior by their elders.
Actually, although a lot of young people might not realize it, most of the Warner Brothers cartoons were originally made for adults. The same can be said of a lot of anime.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 15:25   Link #357
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Heh, of course the funny thing is you making all these assumptions about me (and I quote):

Quote:
it's just what I think of him and people of the kind.
All based on a couple of articles on a message board. I mean, you really don't know me at all, yet you've already made a pretty firm image in your head, I can tell. I can set your image straight a little bit: No, my down comforter is an offwhite quilt and my sheets are all solid colors. I don't think I've ever played an ero game in my life, much less a "dating sim". Yet, you leaped to all these conclusions pretty quick, based off a couple of posts where I disagree with your point of view because I personally consider your criteria pretty narrow minded and your actions based on that criteria to be pretty elitist and arrogant.

I mean, hey, if you are a person like that, I can't (nor do I care enough to want) to change you, but I think you are doing yourself and others around you a great disservice by being so mean-spirited and closed minded where you jump to such long-reaching (and usually false, I bet) conclusions about other people because of such a questionable set of principles.

But hey, if that rows your boat...

Just being honest.

Ciao!
Old 2008-06-26, 22:41   Link #358
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
hehehe

Enjoy yourself, date as many 2D girls as you can.
I pretty much agree with dingo, although there is anime targeted all across the age spectrum. *shrug*
Old 2008-06-26, 23:03   Link #359
fallin up
my life is a harem

who cares. if your 45 and want to watch anime. i have no problem with it. people should be able to do whatever they want without the dictation of society setting rules and what not. its a free world so deal with it
fallin up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 23:10   Link #360
PastPrime

Quote:
hehehe

I have a small question. This is a thread about watching anime. What, eactly, does your answer have to do with "Watching Anime."
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote