Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-26, 07:30   Link #81
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I started watching Bleach when it first came out, but quit around the 70's or 80's. I was getting out of anime in general at that point, but there was a filler arc going on around that point that was nowhere near as interesting as the main plot, so Bleach got cut. Now I'm considering getting back into it, but the high episode count and the comments here are keeping me from it.

This, in particular, speaks to me:

I like the characters in Bleach, and the series premise was pretty interesting. They did a fairly good job in those 70-some episodes of preventing things from becoming boring or stale. How can you keep that up for 300+ episodes, though? One of the things that attracted me to anime over many American shows was the fact that things happened in anime series: plots advanced, characters developed, relations between characters changed. I'm not against series that go beyond the 24-26 episode mark, but it's boring to just see likable characters running around and not doing anything particularly meaningful. I'm also not interested in being strung along, potentially for years. In a way it's sad when a series ends, but I like to see things through to completion. If there's no end in sight, well...

Looks like I won't be returning to this series. (Naruto is a similar deal - I stopped around episode 120 or so, after the fillers became tiresome. I'm not convinced that things are advancing in a meaningful way, nor do I see the series having a meaningful conclusion any time soon.)
Reading through the Bleach manga in one quick succession ISN'T too bad (as you can see, not really a glistening approval). BUT you may even enjoy it, because what feels like stasis and 'wasting time' for weekly readers fits reasonably well into the overall flow of the story when you're not waiting a week between each chapter. And it's always nice to finish what you started. However, that doesn't stop Bleach from being a very flawed manga. I'm not sure how forgiving you'd be of these things, but in my case I usually forgive flaws in the case of long running manga if there's a good amount of interesting content along the way. I would say that was definitely the case for Bleach (and Naruto) in it's earlier years, but now I'm beginning to doubt it will ever be the same again. Perhaps wait for both to finish (insert skeleton at computer gif) and see what people generally think?

edit: if you're only interested in anime, might want to turn away now, even monir seems to have lost his will to keep up with it...

Last edited by Kakashi; 2011-11-26 at 07:41.
Old 2011-11-27, 06:39   Link #82
Lord of Pandemonium
Banned

Location: I'm Dancing & Yelling GANBATTE KAGURA! YOU GO GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!!!!! SHIPPING THEM HARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Reading through the Bleach manga in one quick succession ISN'T too bad (as you can see, not really a glistening approval). BUT you may even enjoy it, because what feels like stasis and 'wasting time' for weekly readers fits reasonably well into the overall flow of the story when you're not waiting a week between each chapter. And it's always nice to finish what you started. However, that doesn't stop Bleach from being a very flawed manga. I'm not sure how forgiving you'd be of these things, but in my case I usually forgive flaws in the case of long running manga if there's a good amount of interesting content along the way. I would say that was definitely the case for Bleach (and Naruto) in it's earlier years, but now I'm beginning to doubt it will ever be the same again. Perhaps wait for both to finish (insert skeleton at computer gif) and see what people generally think?

edit: if you're only interested in anime, might want to turn away now, even monir seems to have lost his will to keep up with it...
Nothing was worse than the year of Syzayel--even I didn't read the chapters for months at time until he was DEAD

It's in transition stage right now---I believe that it will soon reach it's former glory

I really enjoyed this arc so it's not all bad. I just think everyone says it's bad because there is no "villain" at least not one we can see.

Then there are Aizen fans who are mad that "God is Dead" and Gin fans who wanted him to dethrone Aizen (I don't why, he's not as enigmatic as Aizen was) and then there are the Espada fanboys and girls who can't get over the fact that they were over-hyped by fans and not Kubo

Then there a Vizard fans who think they got played by Kubo

Then there are the Ichigo-haters that wish anybody but Ichigo was the main character (preferably his hollow side)

So people resent the new guys (I love that Ginjou, Tsukishima and Riruka)

As for myself, I will never quit--I might but I doubt it since this is the only series that holds my attention. The others I like for awhile then I forget them fast....Nura/ANE, and a lot of others.

Bleach is like a drug to me and I do it whether I want to or not. --That and I will ride it out until my favorite character dies...I will just stay off the forums and only visit for once in awhile because it's not fun for fan to talk with an army of non-fans
Old 2011-11-27, 11:40   Link #83
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
and then there are the Espada fanboys and girls who can't get over the fact that they were over-hyped by fans and not Kubo
Is this really a fact? Just asking. I just go head and drop these here

Spoiler for space:
Old 2011-11-28, 22:21   Link #84
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones

Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
a Aizen true death. my top 3 fav character, i demand he at least show up again in some form to own one more time!....so if they say hes dead and for sure dead.....that will be when i click my time card for the last time.