AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-07-10, 01:13   Link #1021
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Funimation gets my vote for it's work on FMA, (Vic Mignoga really nailed the emotional parts, which is rare for voice actors,) and Bandai gets one for Ghost in the Shell: SAC and Cowboy Bebop. Viz gets hate, because they ruined Naruto. But whatever happens, remember, it could probably be worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg
Old 2008-07-10, 04:10   Link #1022
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I had to close out of that youtube link after 20 secs. I couldn't take any more...if they did that to fma...i wonder if i'd even have watched it.....such an amazing storyliine.....

As for S&W, wooo! yay for the update, just finished reading, and can't wait to see what happens with lawrence and the
Spoiler for volume 3 people:
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-10, 14:08   Link #1023
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Ha, Seaghyn, you made a spoiler tag for one word?
Old 2008-07-11, 05:18   Link #1024
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

yeah, cuz if someone didn't read any of this yet....that word would be a huge...WHAT? THOSE PEOPLE exist?? etc something like that....this may be too much of a give away anyway =)

it is kinda retarded though isn't it..for one word that is...i clicked it again and it made me laugh...
Old 2008-08-23, 19:31   Link #1025
typhonsentra

On the official site, there appears to be a button for "Movie", when you scroll over it the words change to "Coming Soon", any news on that?
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 11:37   Link #1026
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

It's not what you think.
Old 2008-09-02, 04:02   Link #1027
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

It's a figment of your own imagination. There is no spoon.....O_o

who knows. Maybe they just wanted to leave the option out there ^_^
Old 2008-09-05, 11:55   Link #1028
NeoSam

There might be a second TV anime season

Quoting myself from the New Announced Anime thread:

Quote:
From this 2ch thread: volume 9 of the shounen light novel series Ookami to Koushinryou might be hinting at a second TV anime series

Picture of Ookami to Koushinryou light novel volume 9 with the hinting sentence:
http://akiba.kakaku.com/data/imgs/ak...80905-4541.jpg
Old 2008-09-05, 12:07   Link #1029
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

What is written there ?
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 12:37   Link #1030
NeoSam

Something like:

and "Ookami to Koushinryou" new ___ development!? wait for further news!!

Something like that... yes, there's a few blanks there, that's the hint >_< could it be a new anime development?

Hopefully its a new anime season >_<
Old 2008-09-05, 12:48   Link #1031
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

What about movie ? There is a button with "coming soon" at the official site. Well, I hope too for the 2nd season, not only movie.

Last edited by Littm; 2008-09-05 at 12:59.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 14:09   Link #1032
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah really hope it is a new season for the anime. Can only cross our fingers and keep hoping. So much material for them if they really want to do it.
Old 2008-09-05, 15:34   Link #1033
Kaguya
an idler

The development expected by such advertisement is

1. Anime second season
2. New game (DS Cross of Venus?)
3. Movie
4. Live action drama

In this case, probably, it is a second season of Anime.

There is also a rumor that a production company is changed.

If it will start in January, 2009, it will be just right timing that it is released in September or October.

The further news of new development will be released on Dengekibunko Magazine Special issue & Dengeki Maoh (September 27), Dengekibunko 15th Anniversary Stage Event (October 5), or Dengekibunko Magazine Vol.4 (October 10).
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 06:49   Link #1034
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
What about movie ? There is a button with "coming soon" at the official site. Well, I hope too for the 2nd season, not only movie.
To be clear, that wouldn't at all be the usual way for a Japanese website to refer to a theatrical movie. I'm quite sure that particular button just meant that at some point they were going to have a promo video available for download/streaming, but then never got around to posting it. Theatrical movies are seperate sites, not just a sub-link on an anime season's site, usually because movies are produced by a slightly different production team. At least that's what I've always seen done, anyway...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 08:24   Link #1035
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
The development expected by such advertisement is

1. Anime second season
2. New game (DS Cross of Venus?)
3. Movie
4. Live action drama

In this case, probably, it is a second season of Anime.

There is also a rumor that a production company is changed.

If it will start in January, 2009, it will be just right timing that it is released in September or October.

The further news of new development will be released on Dengekibunko Magazine Special issue & Dengeki Maoh (September 27), Dengekibunko 15th Anniversary Stage Event (October 5), or Dengekibunko Magazine Vol.4 (October 10).
The recent trend I have been seeing is that anime is to boost sales of a new volume so it will connect to further sales of game software and such.
To my understanding the original anime production was announced after volume 3 or 4 came into sales and coincide with the planning of the DS game software.
Here in Japan this kind of marketing approach is called "Media mix".
Another example will probably be "Denpateki na Kanojo".
Announcement that planning of an anime is probably to boost sales of sales of a coming edition which will then be followed by a manga adaptation like Kure-nai.
I hope they will skip volume 4 and jump right into volume 5,6,8 and 9 (although I have not read 9 yet) since it will be one very long continueous arc which will add a RPG type element making it possible for the next game production.

The idea is to create synergy between different media to sell the franchise as a whole in the quickest means possible since the next best thing is right around the corner.

One more thing, I believe the production costs for anime with 13 episodes is about one to three million dollars US.
That is roughly about 10 percent of of an Ad budget for a new game software and with anime you know you can recover some or even all of the investment with sales of broadcasting rights, co-sponsorship by music company producing the music, DVD sales and so on.
So it is a Win-Win-Win situation for all stakeholding companies(Publisher of the books, Record company, Game publisher, broadcast station) this is actually what a production committee represents and the ring master of it all is the Ad agency that orchestrates it into one big coordinated campaign.

This is also one of the reason why anime in western nations fails, there is just not enough synergy. This is something overseas manga publishers and ad agency alike needs to take advantage of.(They do it with Big time Hollywood movies all the time so why not anime in a smaller scale, the model is the same.)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2008-09-06 at 08:36. Reason: Please don't double-post
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 08:43   Link #1036
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
One more thing, I believe the production costs for anime with 13 episodes is about one to three million dollars US.
That is roughly about 10 percent of of an Ad budget for a new game software[...]
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Not of these sorts of games. The entire production cost for these sorts of TV games won't be anywhere near 10 million US dollars, never mind the ad budget. These are niche games in a niche market that would be lucky to sell 50,000 copies. Even if they sold 50,000 copies at $80/piece, that's still only four million. You're talking like the big productions of Square-Enix, Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco, and the major U.S./European studios with those sorts of ad budgets...

That being said, the main point about synergy still stands. Almost all anime nowadays are designed as mixed media projects that try to strike while the iron's hot on as many different fronts as possible (games, anime, character songs, drama CDs, manga, novels, figures, etc.). Everything they can do to raise interest in a franchise can contribute to the sales of the other related merchandise. In a fickle world full of dozens and dozens of new shows every season, it's the only way to get your investment back.

So if there is another anime season coming, it certainly stands to reason that another game would come alongside with it.
Old 2008-09-06, 08:56   Link #1037
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Not of these sorts of games. The entire production cost for these sorts of TV games won't be anywhere near 10 million US dollars, never mind the ad budget. These are niche games in a niche market that would be lucky to sell 50,000 copies. Even if they sold 50,000 copies at $80/piece, that's still only four million. You're talking like the big productions of Square-Enix, Capcom, Konami, Bandai Namco, and the major U.S./European studios with those sorts of ad budgets...
A TV spot for one cour nation wide(1500 GRP*) is around 3.5 million dollars US, Ads in magazine full color 1 page costs around 7000 dollars US average, instore campaign nation wide is around 400 thousand dollars US a week.
No any game being distributed by a major console manufacturer gains this much coverage.

Unfortunately not many people understands these figures.

*GRP (Gross Rating Percentage) this means a person will theoretically have seen the same TVCF 15 times in a given period.

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2008-09-06 at 09:10. Reason: Additional information
Old 2008-09-06, 09:22   Link #1038
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
A TV spot for one cour nation wide(1500 GRP*) is around 3.5 million dollars US
IF you were trying to air it in primetime, perhaps. Think about it. If it costs that much for a one-cour TV spot (30 seconds * 15 per-customer impressions), how much do you think it would cost to actually air an entire show for one cour? (30 minutes * 13 weeks = ???) If the cost of producing an anime is only 1-to-3 million dollars, do you think they're going to spend many, many times that amount to air it? It just doesn't make any sense at all. This is why niche anime is aired at really late-night hours when airtime is cheap and plentiful, and almost all of the advertising in the shows is paid for by the producers of the show itself. There's a huge difference between a "mainstream" advertising campaign, and an otaku advertising campaign. It's a difference in scale. You don't spend billions of Yen on production and advertising when your total potential intake is a few hundred million Yen. And, besides that, you don't spend more on advertising than you do on production, and there's no way the Spice & Wolf game cost more than a few million dollars to produce. We're not talking cutting-edge stuff here. It's certainly not going to be any more expensive than producing the anime.

Quote:
No any game being distributed by a major console manufacturer gains this much coverage.
They're not distributed by the major console manufacturers. They're distributed by the market players like, in this case, Ascii Media Works (part of the Kadokawa family). These are minor, minor games that don't justify marketing campaigns of that scale.
Old 2008-09-06, 09:46   Link #1039
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
IF you were trying to air it in primetime, perhaps. Think about it. If it costs that much for a one-cour TV spot (30 seconds * 15 per-customer impressions), how much do you think it would cost to actually air an entire show for one cour? (30 minutes * 13 weeks = ???) If the cost of producing an anime is only 1-to-3 million dollars, do you think they're going to spend many, many times that amount to air it? It just doesn't make any sense at all. This is why niche anime is aired at really late-night hours when airtime is cheap and plentiful, and almost all of the advertising in the shows is paid for by the producers of the show itself. There's a huge difference between a "mainstream" advertising campaign, and an otaku advertising campaign. It's a difference in scale. You don't spend billions of Yen on production and advertising when your total potential intake is a few hundred million Yen. And, besides that, you don't spend more on advertising than you do on production, and there's no way the Spice & Wolf game cost more than a few million dollars to produce. We're not talking cutting-edge stuff here. It's certainly not going to be any more expensive than producing the anime.
You really do not understand the model.
GRP is a unit with consideration of those factors.
If a certain time slot has 10 percent viewing rate then the TVCF needs to be shown 15 times, if the a time slot has only 1 percent viewing then the TVCF need to be shown 150 times.
That is why it is called Gross Rating Percentage.
You can consume more percentage utilizing prime time or slowly cook using the more late hours slow time. That is the very reason why anime is premiered at such late hours in Japan.
Otaku will view the program that fits their agenda regardless of time so it is easier to rate the actual acceptance of the program.
Remember there are spot purchase and sponsorship within TVCF and the publisher of the manga and/or music publisher will sponsor the show since they will be the direct benefactors of the show on the other hand, the game publisher will ride it off as spot purchase to gain wider coverage of the percentage they have invested.

Quote:
They're not distributed by the major console manufacturers. They're distributed by the market players like, in this case, Ascii Media Works (part of the Kadokawa family). These are minor, minor games that don't justify marketing campaigns of that scale.
And again you do not understand the model, the console manufacuturer will co-sponsor any and all games that is created within their franchise since it will promote the console franchise as a whole.
On the other hand the console manufacturer has the last word in any game that will be published within their franchise and will not give their blessing for publishment if they consider it is not fit meaning the game publisher can not sell their game because they cannot utilze the game console logo.
Old 2008-09-06, 09:55   Link #1040
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
You really do not understand the model.
GRP is a unit with consideration of those factors.
If a certain time slot has 10 percent viewing rate then the TVCF needs to be shown 15 times, if the a time slot has only 1 percent viewing then the TVCF need to be shown 150 times.
That is why it is called Gross Rating Percentage.
You can consume more percentage utilizing prime time or slowly cook using the more late hours slow time. That is the very reason why anime is premiered at such late hours in Japan.
Well, in that case, it's very simple. They simply settle for something less than 1500 GRP. Besides, given that the viewership in most otaku-anime timeslots is around 2%-to-3% at best, they barely even have that many commercial breaks in one cour.

My main point isn't about the mechanics, it's about the economics. You don't spend more than you can make back. Even if you count all the mixed media together, the entire otaku industry is only valued at around 1 billion U.S. dollars. There can only be so many $3.5 million advertising campaigns spent from that revenue.

Quote:
And again you do not understand the model, the console manufacuturer will co-sponsor any and all games that is created within their franchise since it will promote the console franchise as a whole.
Whatever you say, man... This is just patently false. There is a review and approval process for most consoles, but they don't "co-sponsor" every game. That's silly. Publishers pony up their own cash to fund this stuff.

Whether I "don't understand the model" or not, there's only so much money in this business. Someone has to pay all these expenses, and games are produced with the expectation of a return on investment for the development company and publishers. Revenue has to come from somewhere, and the amount of interested parties for these properties are limited. If the DS game sold 25,000 copies, I imagine they'll be pleased as punch. Niche is not the same as mainstream. I don't know what else can be said to convince you of that, so I'll try to leave it at this.

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen