AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-06, 02:39   Link #481
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
I guess so.

We've derived this much from the great work of the fanartist. Why stop now?
orz.

I just got the great idea of Kyon-ko, right before Yuuki busts in, making a comment about how ironic it is that the only guy to ever hit on her is about to gut her with a wakazashi.

Or something like that.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 02:40   Link #482
Legacy|iB
Calgary Flames Fan

...!

How the HELL did I miss this one?!

EDIT: Okay, a little off topic from the current discussion, but I got excited when I saw it.

Last edited by Legacy|iB; 2008-03-06 at 02:42. Reason: Needed to add something
Legacy|iB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 02:41   Link #483
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Asakura... trying to hit on me like a road roller and eat me like gutted fish. Nagato is really my St.Michael or some patron saint. What a relief.

or something like that?

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 02:42   Link #484
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy|iB View Post
...!

How the HELL did I miss this one?!

Okay, a little off topic, but I got excited when I saw it.
The reason we're all here, in a nutshell.

Man, I need sleep.

Signing off now. See you guys in the morning.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 02:42   Link #485
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
orz.

I just got the great idea of Kyon-ko, right before Yuuki busts in, making a comment about how ironic it is that the only guy to ever hit on her is about to gut her with a wakazashi.

Or something like that.
Creative inspiration will strike you when it needs to.

What will the idle banter with Yuuki be like before the two guys go head-to-head in an interface deathmatch?

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 02:43   Link #486
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Not any different than YUKI.N> with <gender>female</gender> selected... at least to me.
You'll wind up with that psudo-query.

Nagato unfortunately has other things to mourn about, such as how that he's... size wise, unable to compete against Asahina-san.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 02:45   Link #487
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Not any different than YUKI.N> with <gender>female</gender> selected... at least to me.
You'll wind up with that psudo-query.
Well I'm talking more about Kyon-chan's reaction and thoughts and stuff. I'm sure there'll be a hilarious moment somewhere in there.

Edit: I'm gonna take off as well. Have fun.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 02:47   Link #488
Jintor

Right, pulling an editjob on Kaisos' stuff.

Spoiler for Length:

Honestly Kaisos there isn't really that much to edit. Just some rearrangement of phrases and spacing, italics for emphasis maybe. If you don't like anything feel free to sandblast me.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 03:03   Link #489
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Meanwhile, on Kyon-chan: Can I have a short summary on her mental processing style?
Personally, I'm operating under the idea that she's a toned-down version of the people who post in Fandom Wank (warning: bad language). If anything, she's likely to be more snarky than Male Kyon. After just under a decade in female-oriented fandoms, I have no illusions about women being "more gentle" when it comes to snark.

In short, Kyon-chan is going to be well-read, fairly intelligent, very snarky, and probably more willing to insult the others to their faces. She's also probably going to be harder to crack than Male Kyon, in the sense that while Male Kyon might be swayed by Yuki and definitely smitten with Mikuru, Kyon-chan would probably resist Yuuki and Mitsuru's charms significantly.

My primary problem with writing Kyon-chan (or Male Kyon, for that matter) is that while I get and undersand the vast majority of the science-fiction stuff he talks about, the Japanese culture/history/literature stuff I'm completely lost with. So I can easily pepper in references to Heinlein (not that I want to, mind) or Hofstadter, but Japanese naval victories would be beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Edit1: how can Kyon-ko agree to go to Yuki's apartment btw? He abduct her or something? Any1 have a suitable answer yet?
In my interpretation, Yuuki told Kyon-chan to. Kyon-chan decided to take a chance and trust that Yuuki would not do anything inappropriate, since he seemed completely uninterested in anything other than reading.

Quote:
Typical male characters in anime are worthless, castrated snots like Yuji Sakai.
Sadly enough, I actually like Yuji Sakai as a character.

-

I'll be rewriting the Asakura-with-knife scene to be Asakura-with-sword, since that seems to be the new consensus. (Like I said, I have no problems with a sword per se, but I just need a reason why I should be writing it. If group consensus wants Asakura to assault Kyon-chan with a rabid weasel, that's what I'm writing.) While I'm at it, I might take a shot at the prologue as well.

I'm not going to be "competing" with Kaisos or anything, but just providing an alternate take.

Which reminds me of the topic I was going to raise last night:

I'm writing this genderswap fanfic in order to explore how the series would be different with the flip. This provides a certain tension between originality and faithfulness to the source: I should be writing in the style of the original canon as much as possible, but just copy-and-pasting whole chunks of the novels feels very wrong to me.

Where possible, I'll be erring on the side of originality. I'll read the novel translations, fix the events in my head, and then write my own version of it. If it doesn't quite match, well, mine is but one alternate interpretation of events.

I realize that I'm justifying myself a lot more than I probably should, but I'm not used to writing a fanfic in an environment which attempts to codify everything into a single "official" fanon.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 03:05   Link #490
Raijinken
Victoria's secret weapon

Huh, just thought of something.

Alright, this is far off, but whatever, I want to see what everybody does to it.

I'm probably not as well read as the rest of you, but if I have my plot straight, somewhere along the line, Kyon wakes up in a world without Haruhi, where her existance seems to have been wiped out. And suddenly Itsuki, Mikuru and Yuki (Oh god, moe Yuki) are all normal.

And Yuki has become Kyon's aparent fantasy from what she's observed, an adorable moe girl who blushes and speaks softly and smiles small little smiles and you just want to squeeze her and never let go and...

*Ahem* (Files away mental pictures for future observation)

Point is, what would Kyo-loli (Lawlz) want in a man? Yuki became what she would believe Kyon would want, so it stands to reason that Yuuki would do the same.

I don't think that Kyonko would like the same sort of fantasy her male half would, considering the romantically indifferent attitude she's going to have toward Mitsuru.

Chances are strong and silent. Perhaps cool and witty, or something like that. Moreover it could possibly be related to the fetish that might or might not had been decided earlier. I think I recall asking that question myself, but I don't know if an answer got there, because somewhere inbetween that post and my work shift, there was like three or four new pages and I don't have a lot of time left before I tuck in for snoozer time.

For Yuuki inspiration... maybe everybody should have a round of Ouran?
Raijinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 03:24   Link #491
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijinken View Post
Point is, what would Kyo-loli (Lawlz) want in a man?
Someone who's interested in her, probably.

Yuki's aloofness became shyness, and suddenly the dynamics changed. If Yuuki went through the same alterations, I'm thinking that it would fit about as well.
Old 2008-03-06, 03:40   Link #492
Jintor

dkellis: I share your pain.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 03:50   Link #493
GDOG

Hmm, this idea has intrigued and scared me both, but everyone here is doing a great job with it, so I've found myself drawn up into everything as well. And since I'm barely in time for it (and since I don't think I've seen it here before):

Pretty fitting for the elder version of male Mikuru I think. Also, I could be going out on a limb here, but I imagine a personality that is a little like Kaji from Evangelion: the joker with a heart of gold, a guy that while never seeming to be serious except on very rare and dire occasions, has a heart of gold and always wants the best for the people he cares about.
GDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 04:05   Link #494
Bean Bandit

A suggestion for the Computer Club Scene:

If we're having an all female computer club, then I don't think a direct translation will work. Feeding Mitsuru to the (She) Wolves doesn't read quite the same with the genders flipped. And, while I applaud the decision to stick as close to the original scene as possible, scenes like this need to be reimagined, In my opinion.

Consider the motivation. Haruki needs blackmail material to get what he wants (Namely, a computer). What would an all female computer club be afraid of?

Well, One presumes that these are hyper-intellectual, and not terribly popular girls (Something of a stereotype, but bear with me.) Only the club president even has a boyfriend, right? Their social standing is pretty low. Having pictures of them molesting a boy...even a pretty one, might actually make them MORE popular in certain circles. (Some guys like that kind of thing.)

I guess what I'm suggesting here is...instead of Mitsuru, Have Haruki set up Kyon-chan as the victim. Kyon will look appropriately upset (I can't imagine Mitsuru being too terribly put out by having girls touching him, rather than Haruki doing the molesting) And the Computer Club will be horrified at the prospect of the boys avoiding the Lesbian Rapist Computer Club like the plague.

Alternatively, if we still want Mitsuru in the role of Victim, He must be crossdressed. It simply doesn't pack any weight as blackmail material without something that would really scare off boys. (The Computer Club has a hard enough time catching the eye of the opposite sex without that hanging over their heads)

Dammit, I've been resisting the urge to try my hand at some artwork (It's hard not to be intimidated by the quality stuff we're getting) but I really wanna try drawing Kyon-chan...
Bean Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 04:19   Link #495
Shinn87
Death

http://atalude.files.wordpress.com/2...-syuugeki1.jpg
http://atalude.wordpress.com/files/2...-syuugeki2.jpg

Serious business Ryo is serious.
Shinn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 04:28   Link #496
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I'll also list the names on the top post as well. The only one we haven't really come to agreement on is Kyon-ko.
I'm personally against leaving it as 'Kyon' or simply 'Kyon-chan.' Like Dkellis said, its a wise idea to have the names be different to avoid confusion between the two. Every time someone writes Kyon I automatically think of the guy, not the girl. Kyon may be a nickname of itself, but its all how we know the guy best, it's virtually his real name to us.

The reason I'm not to fond of Kyon-chan is because sufixes themselves can be used for comical or logical events, which would mean she could get the -kun suffix attached, which would double confusion. Not to mention that some characters don't use sufixes at all, leaving us with the confusion mentioned above.

So yeah, I'm still voting for Kyonko. It's clear whom the original is, and there is no threat of suffix confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
wow this thread was made less than a week ago and its already so popular o.o .
Quote:
THIS TOPIC IS TOO FAST.

SLOOOW DOOWN.

(But then it's all like "SCREW YOU!" and kick you in the face with its ENERGY LEGS!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
And we have 400 posts in 4 days!

If that's not the description of hot, I don't know what is!
Yes, keep this up and it may catch up to the biggest thread on animesuki (which currently stands on 21480 posts )

Quote:
- Something tells me Kyon-chan's gonna have a harder time resisting Haruki than Kyon does with Haruhi. But she'll try her best!
With the higher amount of romantic innuendo, that's bound to happen.

Quote:
- I'm torn between how we should divvy up maid duties. Asahina's still the prime candidate, but Kyon-chan looks so good in the maid outfit, and I've seen Itsuki-chan cosplay raping Kyon-chan already.
I don't see a reason why Haruki wouldn't force both Mitsuru and Kyonko into maid outfits. Although we do need a good reason for Kyonko to actually agree wearing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
What is the plan with the Computer Club? Force them to grab "Down there" on Misuuru?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Bandit View Post
A suggestion for the Computer Club Scene:

If we're having an all female computer club, then I don't think a direct translation will work. Feeding Mitsuru to the (She) Wolves doesn't read quite the same with the genders flipped. And, while I applaud the decision to stick as close to the original scene as possible, scenes like this need to be reimagined, In my opinion.

Consider the motivation. Haruki needs blackmail material to get what he wants (Namely, a computer). What would an all female computer club be afraid of?

Well, One presumes that these are hyper-intellectual, and not terribly popular girls (Something of a stereotype, but bear with me.) Only the club president even has a boyfriend, right? Their social standing is pretty low. Having pictures of them molesting a boy...even a pretty one, might actually make them MORE popular in certain circles. (Some guys like that kind of thing.)

I guess what I'm suggesting here is...instead of Mitsuru, Have Haruki set up Kyon-chan as the victim. Kyon will look appropriately upset (I can't imagine Mitsuru being too terribly put out by having girls touching him, rather than Haruki doing the molesting) And the Computer Club will be horrified at the prospect of the boys avoiding the Lesbian Rapist Computer Club like the plague.

Alternatively, if we still want Mitsuru in the role of Victim, He must be crossdressed. It simply doesn't pack any weight as blackmail material without something that would really scare off boys. (The Computer Club has a hard enough time catching the eye of the opposite sex without that hanging over their heads)

Dammit, I've been resisting the urge to try my hand at some artwork (It's hard not to be intimidated by the quality stuff we're getting) but I really wanna try drawing Kyon-chan...
If I recall, even the president didn't have a grilfriend, Kyon suspected that it was all a setup by Yuki (at least in the anime).

To have the president grab Mitsuru down there sounds like a good start. Afterwards, Haruki can still kick the president so she lands on top of Mitsuru. Girl or guy, sexual harassment is still sexual harassment, and with someone as meek as Mitsuru being the victim, vote of confidence will most likely sway in Haruki's favor.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 04:32   Link #497
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinn87 View Post
0_0

That's very serious.... and I love it >_>

Thanks for the translation. Now to use it for the Korean market.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 04:39   Link #498
LobsterHime

i made this late last night but didnt have an account here to post about it.

http://wiki.sos-dan.com/wiki/The_Gen...aruhi_Suzumiya

its very basic and incomplete even when the thread only had 16 pages last night but i hope more editors can expand upon that. currently images can't be uploaded otherwise i would have posted character pics and the translated 4koma, etc.
LobsterHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 04:47   Link #499
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Bandit View Post

I'm not sure if "Lesbian Rapist Computer Club" is going to be that much of blackmail material. I mean, look at the responses in general to Haruhi's domination of Mikuru. The Fujoshi Computer Club are going to be scorned for their interests anyway, so it's going to take a lot more than that to surpass that.

I don't know how to deal with this myself. I'm leaning more towards a bribe rather than blackmail, with the Computer Club members regretting the trade soon afterwards, but I'm not sure how that would work.

On another note, how powerful does a computer need to be for graphics work like doujin-making?
Old 2008-03-06, 05:04   Link #500
Bean Bandit

Ah, curse this thread. Muse won't settle down.

Well, I imagine I'm just embarrassing myself (I really don't practice enough to have any kind of pride-Even as I look at this now, I'm noticing more and more mistakes.) But even if it's just to contribute somehow, I'll toss it in.

Please be gentle.

Bean Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan