AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: -Your- picks for the best songs in Macross Frontier [Multiple-pick Option Enabled]
Welcome To My FanClub's Night! 67 21.34%
Shinkuu no Diamond Crevasse 108 34.39%
Aimo ~Tori no Hito 83 26.43%
Infinity 84 26.75%
Diamond Crevasse ~Sheryl Only♥ 184 58.60%
Northern Cross 150 47.77%
Anata no Oto 55 17.52%
Seikan Hikōu 82 26.11%
Yousei 98 31.21%
Ai Oboete Imasu ka ~Ranka 76 24.20%
Watashi no Kare wa Pilot 30 9.55%
Lion 165 52.55%
Diamond Crevasse 50/50 36 11.46%
Aoi no Ether 49 15.61%
Neko Nikki 20 6.37%
Nyan Nyan Service Medley 101 32.17%
What 'bout my star?@Formo 109 34.71%
Triangler ~ Maaya Sakomoto 71 22.61%
Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don't be late 88 28.03%
What 'bout my star? ~Sheryl 78 24.84%
Aimo OC 52 16.56%
Triangular - Duet - 93 29.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-04-13, 19:44   Link #1621
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by squallz View Post
Thank you \o/ Yousei is wonderfull but damn I dislike this version of What' bout my star ><
LOL, we're quite the opposite then, I actually liked this version better. XD

Oh and has anyone heard the Basquash! OP?
It was quite...umm.... I'll leave it at that.

Also, I badly wanna listen to Alto and Brera's duet! D:
Old 2009-04-13, 20:23   Link #1622
Tsuchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post

Also, I badly wanna listen to Alto and Brera's duet! D:
The duet was Meh.

But the dorama CD was pretty damn funny.
Tsuchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 20:26   Link #1623
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Really? *Sigh*
Old 2009-04-13, 20:31   Link #1624
Tsuchiro

Wilder is such an VF otaku. XD
Tsuchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 04:13   Link #1625
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiro View Post
The duet was Meh.

But the dorama CD was pretty damn funny.
Oh, so you have info on what happened in the stories? Spill! <takes out hot tongs and pokers>
Old 2009-04-14, 19:27   Link #1626
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

i dont kno if u guys mentioned this, but
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5222128

they were discussing the polls held in this thread lol
if i read the kanji correctly, apparently, they find our choices of top 6-20 were too low and that top 1-5 were good...so it made no sense lol

and they translated some post here as well
RamzaOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 19:36   Link #1627
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

LOL.

What the?! XD
Old 2009-04-14, 19:37   Link #1628
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

this was posted in november btw
so the top vote was 78 as oppose to 111
Old 2009-04-14, 21:05   Link #1629
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

LOL the comments are hilarious , I agree with most of them though.

First thing is the obvious shipping disaster effect. A bunch of them pointed out that westerners hate lolis, some even admit that Japan loves lolis singing. These are posted around 20 - 15.

For No. 14 Seikan Hikou, there's an uproar, not loli hate and shipping, but they totally disagree that Seikan Hikou ranks this low. It got on the Oricon charts, its really a great song, foreigners don't know how to appreciate Japanese music and this song is especially meaningful for Japanese.

Then it carries on 13 Triangular, who they also think its a good song and foreigners obviously don't know how to appreciate Japanese music or they're really just all about Sheryl.

12 Welcome to My Fanclub's Night = too low, foreigners are really weird.

11 Triangular = no problems, just a little surprised for various individual reasons.

10 Ai Oboeteimasuka = too high, because the best Ai Oboeteimasuka will always be Minmay's and its way better than this version.

9 Infinity = some think its good, some think it should be no. 1

From 8 - 2 they all already guessed would all be Sheryl songs and they're just guessing what could be no.1, the obvious choice is Diamond Crevasse, but some jokingly puts Ninjin, Watashi no Kare wa Pilot and some wonders why Neko Nikki isn't even in the list.

No.1 Diamond Crevasse = They declare world peace.
----------------

Mainly I agree with them, especially on foreigners not knowing how to appreciate Japanese music.

I'm sure not all of you check the lyrics, even more certain that you understood them, not in English, its pointless. Because Japanese songs have a certain beauty in the way they do lyrics, its more poetic than most other music out there. Japanese put in a lot of effort matching lyrics to the song and to the singer, not understanding the lyrics in Japanese already means you don't get most of the song at all.

EDIT: My favourite song is still Seikan Hikou even after listening to May'n live.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 21:24   Link #1630
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

I'm sure not all of you check the lyrics, even more certain that you understood them, not in English, its pointless. Because Japanese songs have a certain beauty in the way they do lyrics, its more poetic than most other music out there. Japanese put in a lot of effort matching lyrics to the song and to the singer, not understanding the lyrics in Japanese already means you don't get most of the song at all.

EDIT: My favourite song is still Seikan Hikou even after listening to May'n live.
My top songs in MF are DC, Northern Cross, Aimo OC and Yousei mainly because the lyrics were very emotional, while Aimo OC exerted a slight mythical but nonetheless powerful feel due to its connections with Shintoism (not because Ranka was singing it).

Norther Cross and Yousei were really about venting emotional feelings, and those are songs that made me shed tears

On a side note, I am only partial to Seikan Hikou. I don't think it was a good song, and it was way too generic for me.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 22:08   Link #1631
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And I totally think the whole "foreigners don't understand japanese music" is just a poor attempt at an excuse by people without reasoning skills to justify their (bad?) taste. Music is universal - just like mathematics - so, no matter if it's indian, japanese or jamaican, it's to be enjoyed by all who care to.

But, of course, you can also say that it's because I don't like lolis in particular and am a Sheryl fan. Moving on...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 22:12   Link #1632
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

which ever song we put in 10-20, they would be against it anyways lol
Old 2009-04-14, 22:25   Link #1633
BanishingBook

; _ ; Seikan Hikou is under appreciated did I get that right?
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 22:49   Link #1634
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And I totally think the whole "foreigners don't understand japanese music" is just a poor attempt at an excuse by people without reasoning skills to justify their (bad?) taste. Music is universal - just like mathematics - so, no matter if it's indian, japanese or jamaican, it's to be enjoyed by all who care to.

But, of course, you can also say that it's because I don't like lolis in particular and am a Sheryl fan. Moving on...
If African, Egyptian, Middle Eastern music were to compete on the same music charts internationally, do you think they will do well?

Music itself could be universal, but not its lyrics, not understanding the lyrics will mean that you're not understanding the song. I've gotten my friends to listen to various Japanese songs, I simply ask them whether the songs are happy or sad, but they got it wrong. The music and the lyrics can project different emotions, and depending on which one is stronger, the outcome will change.

And even if you can get the emotion, you cannot get the exact meaning of the lyrics, the story it carries and the point its trying to make.

Even if you read the translated lyrics in English, but never understood it in Japanese, you'll have missed out the deepest essences of the lyrics that are designed to be voiced in specific ways together with the music.

Maths could be universal but if the maths is presented in another language, you won't be able to do it as well.

Ba jia er den yu shi. 8 + 2 = 10, that's Chinese pinyin.

Old 2009-04-14, 22:55   Link #1635
BanishingBook

^ - in short your point is discretionary right? the taste and judgement of music? -just a clarification
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 23:02   Link #1636
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Can be appreciated in different ways, can judged better or worse, I guess its discretionary.

Old 2009-04-15, 01:09   Link #1637
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

From what I've seen, most of us were very interested in the lyrics when the songs came out. Many of us were already looking into the symbolism of Northern Cross as a constellation even back when we just had a title to go by, and we rushed straight to the lyrics as soon as they were out to confirm our ideas.

Nor can I forget to mention that "Diamond Crevasse" has to be one of the prettiest metaphors that I've heard for the night sky. We basically did a line by line comparison of the meaning of the words with the scenes that they were juxtaposed against in episode 20, when it aired.

That being said, lyrics on their own are nothing more than poetry. The power of music lies in its ability to transcend the words and bring out the emotion in them. I didn't need to know the meaning behind Diamond Crevasse to understand the ache in the singer's voice - and that's what makes the song universal.

I'd also argue that that's where Nakajima's singing tends to fall flat. When she's singing "in character", unfortunately, her focus seems to be much more on singing in "Ranka's voice" than on bringing out the emotions in the text.The lyrics can't do all the work on their own; they need the singer to bring them to life.

If anything, I think that Nakajima's first set of songs were remarkably well produced in terms of how the instrumentals carried the emotions of the pieces; so much so that most people initially didn't pick up on this weakness. But it became very apparent when she started doing covers of other singers' songs. At that point lyrics and instrumentals no longer varied from singer to singer; the only point of comparision was the music itself.

That's also why Diamond Crevasse is simultaneously the highest ranked song and one of the lowest ranked songs. (It's not the lyrics.)
Swampstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 01:25   Link #1638
Sec

I think the major of those posters there are otakus who like Ranka. But Japaneses sure have weird taste to me. Take ARASHI as an example, most of Western J-Pop listeners (don't count JE fans) think their music is decent but Japaneses are mad over them. Even Ken Hirai, another popular J-Pop singer claimed that he like ARASHI in one of his interviews. Another reason for Japanese to like a song is it sounds good in karaoke like Morning Musume's "Love Machine" back in 2003. I think "Seikan Hikou" is this case. I don't think foreigners don't understand japanese music but it is about taste.

11 Triangler is very popular in Japan. If I remember correctly, it ranked in the top 10 of Youtube access last year.

10 Ai Oboeteimasuka = too high. I agree with them about this part. Minmay's version is sure better. So they are still obsessed by Minmay 25 years later .

They said that we underrated Ranka's music. But in term of music, I have to say that May'n is better and Sheryl got more attentions from regular listeners than Ranka. In 2008, "Diamond Crevasse" sold 108,504 copies (27 weeks) while "Seikan Hikou" sold 85,799 copies (25 weeks) according to Oricon. DC is the ED but "Seikan Hikou" had more advantages since it isn't included in the 1st OST. And for the eroge singles, Sheryl also sold better than Ranka (Sheryl: 22,429 / Ranka: 20,791 - 6 weeks). May'n also got invited to MelodiX! to perform "Northern Cross". MelodiX! may not a big and popular show like Music Station, Music Fighter or Music Japan but for a anisong singer to appear in a main stream music show is a great success.
Sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 03:26   Link #1639
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

>___>

Tsk. Let's just enjoy the music.
Old 2009-04-15, 04:46   Link #1640
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
LOL the comments are hilarious , I agree with most of them though.

First thing is the obvious shipping disaster effect. A bunch of them pointed out that westerners hate lolis
Someone needs to tell them it's not loli's it's Ranka..... Fate, Shana, Nagi, Konata, Lousie, Taiga, Kagami, Rika, Hayate's Nagi, Nanoha are all very popular lolis for western fans... I dare say the majority of Sheryl fans on this board are big fans of at least a few of them... I've seen many Sheryl shippers saying Taiga and Nagi are awesome while Toradora and Kannagi were airing.... really it's not loli's, it's Ranka.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music