AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-04-06, 18:37   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Old man invites the MC to stay at his house and tells him about demons and MC's family is killed by demons the very same night. That's a damn big coincidence, unless that guy knew a demon was lurking around and someone had been sent to dispatch it. I mean, it was strongly implied his family was killed by demons so it wouldn't be surprising if he had ties with demon hunters. Or maybe I'm giving the author too much credit and this was a case of bad exposition.

Animation looked really good (what was up with that super realistic CGI bird? ) as expected of Ufo, but I'm not sold on the story yet. Well, it is a shounen, they usually take a while to get going.

Going by the fact he has a super sense of smell and his scar is different in the OP, I guess the MC is from a special lineage, which also explains why his sister can maintain a bit of sanity. I guess it would be more surprising if the MC wasn't special.
Old 2019-04-06, 19:07   Link #22
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I was worried this production would be taxing for ufo, but apparently they don't worry about such things.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-06, 22:08   Link #23
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I've been wanting UFO (& Kajiura) to do anime in serious classical Japanese setting (instead of wasting their talents for something like Token Ranbu) and it does not disappoint so far. Let's hope the quality will be as consistent as it possibly can.
Old 2019-04-06, 23:57   Link #24
zztop

More of a WSJ publishing-related question.

I understand that Kimetsu's mangaka is female. To date, have there previously been any other female mangaka who've gotten popular serialized manga on Weekly Shounen Jump?

Because I've seen most of the big WSJ names that have gotten published are male (or appear to be male), while most female mangaka tended to debut on shoujo magazines, Pixiv, or shounen/seinen magazines targeting female readers.

(Exempting Akutami Gege because she's fairly recent too.)
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 00:10   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post

I understand that Kimetsu's mangaka is female. To date, have there previously been any other female mangaka who've gotten popular serialized manga on Weekly Shounen Jump?

Because I've seen most of the big WSJ names that have gotten published are male (or appear to be male), while most female mangaka tended to debut on shoujo magazines, Pixiv, or shounen/seinen magazines targeting female readers.

Ao no Exorcist certainly qualifies, just off the top of my head.
Old 2019-04-07, 00:21   Link #26
p-kun

Also Hikaru no Go, Death Note, etc. because the writer of the duo was female.

Back to the episode, the OP seems to indicate that the 13 eps will cover up to the beginning of train arc (by showing a certain someone's fortress). So we'll definitely get the prostitute district arc.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 01:15   Link #27
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 01:48   Link #28
Applehell

Overall not a bad start. The strongest part of episode was definitely the visuals which helped constipate heavily for the rather clunky dialogue, slightly too drawn out scenes and over reliance on exposition. The basic premise is something that has been done hundred times but there is a strong emotional core behind it that can hopefully be better presented if the other issues of the writing are balanced out in coming episodes. It's got potential otherwise in spite of it being a bit rough some areas.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 02:10   Link #29
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I was worried this production would be taxing for ufo, but apparently they don't worry about such things.
How long were you waiting to make that joke? XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 03:47   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
How long were you waiting to make that joke? XP
When the moment grabs you, you gotta roll with it.
Old 2019-04-07, 03:49   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
Also Hikaru no Go, Death Note, etc. because the writer of the duo was female.

Back to the episode, the OP seems to indicate that the 13 eps will cover up to the beginning of train arc (by showing a certain someone's fortress). So we'll definitely get the prostitute district arc.
Obata's writing partner was different for Hikaru no Go. Ohba Tsugumi has never been positively ID'd but most theories point to it being a man.
Old 2019-04-07, 03:58   Link #32
Tenzen12

I will pass on this. I decided check manga after this episode though. It could be pretty good.
Old 2019-04-07, 04:00   Link #33
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ao no Exorcist certainly qualifies, just off the top of my head.
Blue Exorcist's original Japanese releases are in monthly magazine Jump Square.
I meant as in a (confirmed) female mangaka who got a serialization in the Japanese issues of Weekly Shounen Jump, who handles both the story and art.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 04:34   Link #34
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:

Quote:
Blue Exorcist's original Japanese releases are in monthly magazine Jump Square.
I meant as in a (confirmed) female mangaka who got a serialization in the Japanese issues of Weekly Shounen Jump, who handles both the story and art.
D.Gray-man by Katsura Hoshino should fit the bill:

Shonen demographic?: check
Popular?: check
Debut & Serialized in WSJ?: check (May 31, 2004 – May 11, 2009)
Female mangaka?: check
Handles both the story and art?: check
Old 2019-04-07, 05:28   Link #35
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Heh, I can see why some people are excited about this, at least it made me want to watch the next episode.

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another black clover!
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 05:48   Link #36
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Either LiSA's singing has changed a lot or my ears are failing....couldn't tell the ED was her at all
Old 2019-04-07, 06:07   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another black clover!
Black Clover kinda turned me off from the beginning. I, for one, hope Kimetsu doesn't turn out like Gangsta or (to an extend) Kabaneri: hyped first episode only to go downhill for the rest of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Either LiSA's singing has changed a lot or my ears are failing....couldn't tell the ED was her at all
Really? I recognized her voice the moment she started singing. Probably helped that I recently saw Gundam Narrative where she sang one of the theme songs.
Old 2019-04-07, 08:57   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That Demon Hunter was pretty nice, all things considered. Not the most approachable, but he went out of his way to give the MC a leg up in his new life.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 15:52   Link #39
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Old man invites the MC to stay at his house and tells him about demons and MC's family is killed by demons the very same night. That's a damn big coincidence, unless that guy knew a demon was lurking around and someone had been sent to dispatch it. I mean, it was strongly implied his family was killed by demons so it wouldn't be surprising if he had ties with demon hunters. Or maybe I'm giving the author too much credit and this was a case of bad exposition.
Can't actually remember whether the manga confirms it or not but that guy really does look like he's seen some shit
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Haak; 2019-04-07 at 16:02.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 19:22   Link #40
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

First episode is lit. I had no idea that ufotable was behind this. Now it explains why the swords glisten the way they do lol. I'm looking forward to the next one!
blakstealth is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
demon, shonen