AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-17, 03:28   Link #201
Statonxyb
hrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
finally installing the game, but goddamn 15gigs? O_O.. pc games just keep getting more and more massive.
'Tis all the texture files and what not.
Old 2009-11-17, 04:49   Link #202
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
games just keep getting more and more massive.
fixt

Even Console games are getting up around this range now.
Old 2009-11-17, 07:37   Link #203
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
yet Templars should woop mages with much more ease and shouldnt be afraid of them. yet here we are getting owned by tiny spells.
That's because fluff Templars don't match up to in-game Templars. Fluff Templars are able to negate magic completely and set up fields where no magic can be used at all.

Us? We get a dispel that can only actually dispel a handful of things and a higher resistance.

They need to buff the dispel so that it actually dispels nigh everything that isn't immediate damage. Right now the skill has only a few minor uses hardly justifying its cooldown. And perhaps give us a skill that makes us immune to magic for X amount of time, or at least a skill that severely reduces magic damage.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 07:45   Link #204
Clarste
Human

I did find it sort of bizarre that Templars weren't all that great against mages, but I did find them pretty useful as a class. Dispel was actually pretty useful against some of the nastier debuffs mages would do (like curse of mortality, curse of missing, etc), and a long range AoE stun is always appreciated, although the mana burn aspect of that was pretty much unnoticeable. I think the most silly thing is Mental Fortress. I suppose that's supposed to represent magic resistance, but frankly most spells don't particularly care about mental resistance anyway. Heck, they're just as likely if not moreso to use physical resistance. That ability should've been some kind of generic spell resistance, either activated or passive. The fact that Templar is no better than anyone at surviving a magical onslaught of ice and fire is just sad. Furthermore, their passive mana burn attack could've been much stronger. Honestly, I could even notice it.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 08:01   Link #205
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That's because fluff Templars don't match up to in-game Templars. Fluff Templars are able to negate magic completely and set up fields where no magic can be used at all.

Us? We get a dispel that can only actually dispel a handful of things and a higher resistance.

They need to buff the dispel so that it actually dispels nigh everything that isn't immediate damage. Right now the skill has only a few minor uses hardly justifying its cooldown. And perhaps give us a skill that makes us immune to magic for X amount of time, or at least a skill that severely reduces magic damage.
I was thinking that they should have an anti-magic aura or something that increases the manacost of each spell for any mage in a certain AOE.

Though I wish they have more beautiful swords. 2Hs look downright ugly.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 09:31   Link #206
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I did find it sort of bizarre that Templars weren't all that great against mages, but I did find them pretty useful as a class. Dispel was actually pretty useful against some of the nastier debuffs mages would do (like curse of mortality, curse of missing, etc)
Wait, your dispel actually helps against curses? Why doesn't mine do that?

As for gear appearance, shield and sword is the way to go. Two-handers just don't look as impressive.
Old 2009-11-17, 11:55   Link #207
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

*cough* StarFang *cough*
Old 2009-11-17, 11:59   Link #208
TrueKnight

Awesome game, best rpg in 2009 so far imho. Story is engaging, very good interactions between the characters with their own unique personality. I swear Alistair reminded me of Nathan Drake from Uncharted 2 whenever I talk to him. Gameplay is like other BioWare games with reminiscence of KoToR.

Like some of us here my character is a sword and shield Templar, but really kinds towards mages, currently trying to romance Morrigan (crusader x heathen lol). But God do Templar skill sucks….Getting whopped by mages a lot when in the Circle of Magi, good thing already passed that hellhole.

Any tips for a lvl 12 Templar? I’ve been focusing on str, dex, with a bit of willpower and constitution. But I really wonder if it’s really a good thing.

And I’m loving my shields (just got Shield Mastery). Are Templar skills really worth it? So far I only use the first level, the passive thingy (forgot the name). Don’t really think they're useful...at all.

Yeah I agree about mages being OP especially the arcane build. My poor Templar getting his ass kicked whenever a master mage pops up. Damn this sucks.

I'm avoiding GameFaqs for the spoilers.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 12:07   Link #209
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Wait, your dispel actually helps against curses? Why doesn't mine do that?
I've seen it fail before sometimes. I think it's kind of buggy, but it seems to work most of the time for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Any tips for a lvl 12 Templar? I’ve been focusing on str, dex, with a bit of willpower and constitution. But I really wonder if it’s really a good thing.

And I’m loving my shields (just got Shield Mastery). Are Templar skills really worth it? So far I only use the first level, the passive thingy (forgot the name). Don’t really think they're useful...at all.
I'm not sure you need dex beyond the 26 required for one of the shield talents. Strength increases damage and defense because of the scaling effects of shields, so it might be better to simply focus on that. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly what certain stats do to certain things.

Templars have two skills worth mentioning, which I already did actually. The dispel ability (2nd skill) which I'm fairly sure works on nasty debuffs cast by mages, and the knockdown ability (4th skill) which is a ranged AoE knockdown. It also does spirit damage, but that's negligible, and it says it does mana burn but I've never noticed that. I tended to use it to knock down mages and run up to them safely before they can get up (followed by repeatedly knocking them down or stunning them, because I hate mages). It's actually pretty long ranged as a targetable circle, which I'm not sure the description implies.
Old 2009-11-17, 12:14   Link #210
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Rule number 1: Once you have enough strength to equip/skill what you want (which is often around 38 anyway), drop the stat like a brick. Dex gives almost the exact bonuses plus more defence as well. More con is also a good thing.

As for skills... well, the last skill is a good for a quick bit of AoE knockdown. It's description is deceptive though, as the difference in damage on a mana user is neglectable, if anything. Not worth the cost though.
Old 2009-11-17, 13:02   Link #211
ZeroForever

templars lvl 2 aoe dispel is useful as noted it can get rid of things like crushing prison on your guys, mainly it's useful if it's been cast on your mage as it's the only non-mage skill that can get rid of it.

at the last area of the game, probably finish it tonight and then do all the other origins before really choosing one for a 2nd play through.
Old 2009-11-17, 13:05   Link #212
Clarste
Human

Dex doesn't give damage except to daggers and bows, I think. Pretty sure. Given that all weapons and shields scale with strength and that you're unlikely to use a dagger with a shield, I'm not sure why you'd want to stack dex.
Old 2009-11-17, 13:19   Link #213
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Defense, mostly. As 2-handed warriors show, pumping everything in damage can lead to poor survivability. The bulk of a shield warrior's damage comes from abilities and enchantments anyway, and since dexterity offers the exact same to hit bonus as strength, it's good to stock up on it. Heck, some shield talents even require a minimum dexterity.

And it's not as if you'll be abandoning strength entirely. To get all the talents alone requires a minimum of 32 strength, and if you want to equip decent armor, you'll need at least around 36-38 strength.
Old 2009-11-17, 13:41   Link #214
Clarste
Human

Shields also get a strength modifier. Unless I'm horribly mistaken, that means they increase your defense with your strength. If not, what exactly does that modifier do?
Old 2009-11-17, 13:59   Link #215
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Shields don't get a stat bonus, mostly because you don't attack with shields unless it's with abilities, which don't benefit from the bonus.

What the two stats do:

Strength:
  • Increases damage for all weapons except crossbows and staves.
  • Increases attack score in melee combat by 0.5 for each point.
  • Prerequisite for higher level armor.
  • Contributes to physical resistance.
  • Contributes to intimidation chance.

Dexterity:
  • Increases attack score in melee combat by 0.5 for each point.
  • Increases attack score in ranged combat by 1 for each point.
  • Increases defense score by 1 for each point.
  • Increases damage for piercing weapons.
  • Contributes to physical resistance.
Old 2009-11-17, 14:22   Link #216
Clarste
Human

I was pretty sure they had a strength modifier stat listed on the item stat page (not the stat blurb, which is admittedly pretty vague). Then again, maybe they didn't. It wouldn't be the first time I misread something.
Old 2009-11-17, 14:55   Link #217
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, even if they did get a bonus, that bonus itself would be pretty useless considering you never attack with a shield.
Old 2009-11-17, 15:17   Link #218
Clarste
Human

Considering that the primary stat of a shield is defense rather than damage, I assumed (or read somewhere?) that you would get extra defense from strength. Honestly, if you don't shields are pretty worthless. The bonus to defense you get from even the best shields is usually pretty small.
Old 2009-11-17, 16:18   Link #219
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
fixt

Even Console games are getting up around this range now.
nah since very few games actually past the 9hr mark for gameplay content. Only RPG's require that much content.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 16:56   Link #220
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Considering that the primary stat of a shield is defense rather than damage, I assumed (or read somewhere?) that you would get extra defense from strength. Honestly, if you don't shields are pretty worthless. The bonus to defense you get from even the best shields is usually pretty small.
Defense is a bonus you get from dexterity, so I don't see why strength would give shields additional defense.

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360