AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Old 2004-06-10, 03:48   Link #61
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseroar
Could I request Ep. 10, 6:21, where Seiji and his dumb friend are dancing and yodeling. Not sure if there's enough there to make it loop, but it'd be nice if someone could. ^_^ Oh, in 100x100, not a non-standard size, please. ^_^;
Wait, what's this I hear?! No file size limit?! So I won't have to butcher the sequence?! Yay!

I can't loop it smoothly unless I cut out the little hop in the beginning, but I'll let you see both versions:

Normal (201kb):

Looped (151kb):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
I also tried to make that one, but I couldn't get it under 100 kb @ 80*60... But then again, my gif-skills aren't that superbe
I don't think it has anything to do with skills; the sequence is simply too long for the file size constraint. The only way to attempt to fit it is by severly cutting the frame numbers...which will end up butchering the animation. >_<
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 04:44   Link #62
Roseroar

Send a message via ICQ to Roseroar Send a message via AIM to Roseroar
Well, I didn't want a size-limit due to it restraining too much, even though most things (forums/LJ etc) wont accept files over 20-50k as avatars. :\

Still, I wanted that sequence just because it's cute. ^_^; Thanks muchly, exactly what I was looking for, sarcasteak ^_^
Roseroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 04:55   Link #63
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Well, I didn't want a size-limit due to it restraining too much, even though most things (forums/LJ etc) wont accept files over 20-50k as avatars. :\
Heh, yah, 50kb is near impossible for this sequence; if you didn't mention "no-limit," I would've just ignored this request. ^_^;;

Quote:
Still, I wanted that sequence just because it's cute. ^_^; Thanks muchly, exactly what I was looking for, sarcasteak ^_^
No prob...and I agree, it's too cute! I can still try to lower the file size and maybe cut out a few frames without sacrificing too much, but I doubt that would help very much with the file size.

Just out of curiosity...you are going with the looped version, right?
Old 2004-06-10, 08:10   Link #64
Roseroar

Send a message via ICQ to Roseroar Send a message via AIM to Roseroar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Just out of curiosity...you are going with the looped version, right?
Yep, it's smoother (and smaller) so better for general anigif use. ^_^
Roseroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 18:59   Link #65
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
when saving the pictures does it matter if you save the pictures as TARGA or JPEG? or is both the same size outcome... because the JPEG one i can't make it go down to 50kb >.< the closest i could get it is like 80kb... it was 64 colour and the 75 thing already ...
ZGMF-X10A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 19:11   Link #66
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A
when saving the pictures does it matter if you save the pictures as TARGA or JPEG? or is both the same size outcome... because the JPEG one i can't make it go down to 50kb >.< the closest i could get it is like 80kb... it was 64 colour and the 75 thing already ...
What the hell? o__0;;
You should only save the file as GIF, nothing else. And if you have to go down to 64 colors, GIVE UP--it will NOT fit under 50kb. >_>;;
Old 2004-06-10, 19:57   Link #67
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

no i mean the virtualdub thing not the ImageReady picture thing... and what colour do i save it as?
Old 2004-06-10, 20:09   Link #68
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
no i mean the virtualdub thing not the ImageReady picture thing... and what colour do i save it as?
Eh? I'm kinda confused here...I basically open both VD and IR up. I find the frames I want in VD and use Ctrl + 1 to copy that frame. Then I switch to IR, make a new frame, paste, and repeat the process...I don't save the frames and then compile them. As for saving, always use the highest quality until you finalize the GIF.
Old 2004-06-10, 21:01   Link #69
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

lol... i'm confuse... so you don't save for VD.. >.<
Old 2004-06-10, 21:06   Link #70
sarcasteak
WAHA~

No...I first go to the first frame of the sequence (that I'm making the GIF out of) in Virtual Dub. I pause. I do [Ctrl] + [1] to copy that frame. Instead of saving it, I paste it directly in Image Ready as a new frame. Then I go back to Virtual Dub, find the second frame, and repeat the process.
Old 2004-06-10, 21:59   Link #71
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

isn't saving the sequence a faster way... ?? how many frames of pictures can you fit in a 50kb gif?? i have like 20 frames pictures... is that too much or should i reduce it to like 10... >.<

Edit: ok i made my first Gif avatar.. ^^ really shitty though >.<

Last edited by ZGMF-X10A; 2004-06-10 at 23:53.
Old 2004-06-11, 00:21   Link #72
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
ok i made my first Gif avatar.. ^^ really shitty though >.<
It's not that bad; give yourself more credit. ^_^

My suggestions: first of all, remove duplicated frames. In yours, frames 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-11 are repeats, so you actually only need 4 frames total (1, 4, 7, and 10). By adjusting the frame delay (how long each frame is displayed) so that each of those 4 play longer, those unnecessary frames can be eliminated. This step is NOT necessary for your particular GIF because the sequence is not very long, but it's better to keep a good habit so you can fit in many more frames in other cases.

After you got all the timing and the frames down, make a perfect square selection (for example, 335x335 pixel) that captures the essence of the animation; in this case, just center in on Midori-chan and her pencil because you do NOT need the rest of the rectangular background. Crop the selection. Resize to 100x100. Create a transparent layer on the very top, select the entire layer, Stroke 1 pixel with the color of your choice (generally go with black), and you'll have a nice looping avatar with a border. This is of course a very formulaic way; there's nothing wrong with it, but sometimes you can try to be creative and do more...

Here's what I did with your current one:

The quality is not great because I had to enlarge the small GIF, but you can see even with the semi-transparent border and larger dimension, the file size is significantly smaller. Hopefully these tips help, and good luck with your future work. It's all about scene selection; as long as the sequence you choose is good, most likely the GIF will turn out good, too.

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-06-11 at 00:36.
Old 2004-06-11, 00:23   Link #73
nephilim
Loves Kaori

someday i should really try to learn how to make an avatar of my own though. i really like this avatar that lunchboxx made.
nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-11, 05:12   Link #74
Millenia
Emotional Shoujo Girl

Send a message via MSN to Millenia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Heres a gif from episode 10.

Which one do you guys think looks better? The slow one or the fast one?

OMG yeah, some 1 just had to do that 1 hehehehehe
Old 2004-06-11, 09:34   Link #75
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

thx for the advice.. ^^ have to test out all the other options this ImageReady has to offer ... i don't even know where every option is >.<

Edit: how do i post the gif on the page do i have to put it on a site first? i wanna get the gif off my hard drive is that possibe ?

Last edited by ZGMF-X10A; 2004-06-12 at 19:03.
Old 2004-06-12, 20:26   Link #76
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

hows this gif.. my avatar.. Midori's Breast Stroke... ^^ ;;
Old 2004-06-13, 21:24   Link #77
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I have a request:

Episode 12
Time: 5:50-5:54
Description: Midori with a cute little smile and her arm behind her head bobbing back and forth with Seiji's face beat-red. I want this avatar! No one steal it or I will inflict electronic pain on your computer
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 21:43   Link #78
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Hmm episode 12 is already out? ^^

I'm stil on episode 10.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-14, 01:06   Link #79
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
I have a request:

Episode 12
Time: 5:50-5:54
Description: Midori with a cute little smile and her arm behind her head bobbing back and forth with Seiji's face beat-red. I want this avatar! No one steal it or I will inflict electronic pain on your computer
Bull! 12 isn't out yet!
Hmm, 4 seconds seem a bit long, but since it's a loop I think it can be done. No. It's too cute...it MUST be done!

Low Quality Avatar Version:

I can't accept this! Midori-chan deserves so much better! Curse the file size limit! ;_;

High Quality Version:

There, there... ^_^

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-06-14 at 01:35.
Old 2004-06-14, 04:27   Link #80
project_00

That's cute! Can I use it as a signature on another forum?
project_00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags