AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-03, 21:31   Link #181
X207
Gamyūsa

wasnt there only 4 ch in the TA series, i do recall DDLing vol1 a long time ago (09-02-2008).
Old 2008-08-07, 23:18   Link #182
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invi View Post
Otherwise it wouldn't be so good
It wasnt good bcuz it was sad, it was good cuz the characters are awesome! it, however, gets negative points for being sad

edit: X207, its already finished.
Old 2008-08-07, 23:56   Link #183
Invi
*Fansubber

The more sad story is, the more awesome it is. Well, at last, for me.
Spoiler for my wishes and also Tomoyo After spoiler:
in b4, everyone has their own liking.
Old 2008-08-08, 10:41   Link #184
typhonsentra

Spoiler:
Old 2008-08-08, 10:59   Link #185
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

No, there isn't much "default" option for happy endings.
It isn't rare to see bittersweet endings and Tomoyo After is hardly an exception.
Old 2008-08-08, 11:28   Link #186
typhonsentra

I just can't believe the director would go down the route described here. I haven't seen After Story either personally but...

Spoiler:
Old 2008-08-08, 11:31   Link #187
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This is correct. Tomoyo after is just a "What if" scenario. It isn't canon for Clannad.
Old 2008-08-08, 14:12   Link #188
typhonsentra

Well it is canon in the sense that it was made by the creators. As in, had he gone with her that's what would happen. With VN's I tend to prefer not to think that all the alternative paths are outright "wrong", that kinda makes them feel pointless, you know?

I just read that manga by the way and it definitely leaves a strange impression, does it capture the feel of the game well?
Old 2008-08-08, 15:53   Link #189
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

"made by the creators" is hardly something that should be taken into accounts. Otherwise, you would have to consider all routes as canon, or even fan disc of any VN, which isn't exactly relevant to the "canon" point.

It is indeed reflecting what would happen, but since it is a "what if", that is just putting aside the possible "canon" part of it (that could happen, but it didn't, so not canon).
That said, a non canon story isn't worthless or anything, obviously. But what i said has only to do with the "canon" part with Clannad, which TA doesn't except for a small portion of the former.

As for the manga, it is really too digest and awkwardly written to be considered as a good capture of the game.
Old 2008-08-12, 19:55   Link #190
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
Excuse me but i just wanted to ask is the alt title for this manga Tomoyo After: Dear Shining Memories or have i got the wrong manga. ;<

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Old 2008-08-12, 19:56   Link #191
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Yep, thats the right one!
Old 2008-08-12, 20:31   Link #192
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
Wow... they opted for the saddest, ending, ever. Tomoya does not deserve such suffering. I think ill go cry and suicide somewhere.

Excuse me but has anyone got the tablature for Life is like a Melody from Tomoyo After~It's a wonderful Life, if so please pm me i've been looking but can't find.

Credit @ fallschirmjager

Last edited by Jin Kizuite; 2008-08-13 at 06:26.
Old 2008-08-18, 05:02   Link #193
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I just can't believe the director would go down the route described here. I haven't seen After Story either personally but...

Spoiler:
No it wasn't to satisfy the fans actually.

Tomoyo After was Maeda Jun's (main writer for Kanon, Air, Clannad etc) personal pet project that he wanted to do - he wanted more creative freedom to explore his ideas and themes and less business red tapes if you like, and that's what he did in Tomoyo After. As such it should be considered to be his most real and direct feelings.

Actually if you compare Tomoyo After to say, AIR, you shouldn't find him being cruel at all, since both ends in a similiar tone. Also I may add that just because characters die it shouldn't mean that the story is depressing or bad or cruel, in fact the story of Tomoyo After is specifically dealing with the difficulties in life and there are valuable lessons to be learnt in the story, and IMO it is much more valuable than "a mircale happens" type of fairy tale stories that, in a sense, ruins some of the other Key works. I personally really loved the original ending of Tomoyo After, and consider the milder rewrite of the PS2 version a cop out and ruins the original artistic integraty of the story.
Old 2008-09-21, 20:44   Link #194
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Bloody heck the translation for this game doesnt seem like its ever gonna be done
Old 2008-09-21, 20:58   Link #195
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

You do know that normally the completion time for these kind of projects is in the order of years, right? If anything, thanks to the wiki system you can actively colaborate towards the speedier completion of the project ;
Old 2008-09-21, 23:54   Link #196
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
No it wasn't to satisfy the fans actually.

Tomoyo After was Maeda Jun's (main writer for Kanon, Air, Clannad etc) personal pet project that he wanted to do - he wanted more creative freedom to explore his ideas and themes and less business red tapes if you like, and that's what he did in Tomoyo After. As such it should be considered to be his most real and direct feelings.

Actually if you compare Tomoyo After to say, AIR, you shouldn't find him being cruel at all, since both ends in a similiar tone. Also I may add that just because characters die it shouldn't mean that the story is depressing or bad or cruel, in fact the story of Tomoyo After is specifically dealing with the difficulties in life and there are valuable lessons to be learnt in the story, and IMO it is much more valuable than "a mircale happens" type of fairy tale stories that, in a sense, ruins some of the other Key works. I personally really loved the original ending of Tomoyo After, and consider the milder rewrite of the PS2 version a cop out and ruins the original artistic integraty of the story.
Spoiler for clannad after story:
Old 2008-09-22, 00:30   Link #197
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You do know that normally the completion time for these kind of projects is in the order of years, right? If anything, thanks to the wiki system you can actively colaborate towards the speedier completion of the project ;

??!!For real.........that sucks i was thinking it was like subbing an anime ep or something
Old 2008-09-22, 18:58   Link #198
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
I found some CG artwork of Tomoyo After off the web. They make incredible stocks @_@
Very Very Graphic IF you know what I mean =P
Old 2008-09-23, 07:22   Link #199
typhonsentra

Oh really?
Old 2008-09-23, 14:23   Link #200
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
??!!For real.........that sucks i was thinking it was like subbing an anime ep or something
It's easier to gain an understanding of spoken Japanese than it is to gain one of written Japanese. In anime subbing, you usually just have to deal with spoken Japanese. With a VN, even a voiced one, most of the stuff to translate is just written. That's where the time difference comes from.

I've been studying Japanese for around ten months now, and I can barely get the gist of what's going on in a VN with voice acting (which is why I can play my copy of Clannad but not my copy of Kanon; I can't figure out the voice patch). Actually doing a decent job of translating the text takes an incredible understanding of the language.
Closed Thread