AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-12-29, 13:41   Link #281
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
The OST is available, and it is a 2 cd package. Some lovely pieces on them, which surprised me when heard by themselves. When I had heard them earlier I guess I was just too immersed! ^^
Old 2013-12-29, 14:11   Link #282
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
To say this show is a master of understatement is selling it short. This, truly, it what slice-of-life should be - of course things are happening all the time, but there doesn't have to be a reason for everything that does. That, of course, is how life is - and what should slice-of-life be, if not a reflection of what daily life feels like?

One of the remarkable things about Gingitsune is the way it manages to be both one of the most distinctly Japanese anime in years - it may be the best anime about Shinto this decade - and thoroughly universal. I think choosing the Nagoshi-no-Harae to end on was perfect for Gingitsune, because it offered both an opportunity to explore a fascinating and beautiful Shinto tradition and an insight on the role of Jinja in knitting communities together.

There were wonderful moments in the finale, like the brief appearance of "Grin-tarou" and the Katashirou blowing up from the river's surface and briefly touching Makoto before disappearing into the Heavens (again - no explanation is offered because none is needed). Mostly, though, this isn't about individual events so much as the overall experience - both for the characters and the viewers. It's enough to be with Makato and Satoru as they and their Heralds muse on the cruel but merciless nature of time, and the desire to always be together. We know this desire can't be granted - it's only the privilege of the very young to believe it can - but the desire itself is the point. What matters is that Makoto wishes she could stay with Gin forever, and that he'll stay with her all the days of her life. Beyond that all anyone can do is surrender themselves to the uncertainty of the Universe - as Gintarou says, it's all about possibility.

It's sad to see a series as lovely as Gingitsune come to an end so quickly. But this series behaved as if it knew exactly what it wanted to be, and seems to have been expressly laid out to tell its story fully in one cour. There's no hesitancy or uncertainty in this ending because the point is resolutely made - we've come to know this world and these characters, and received loud-and-clear the message of acceptance and optimism that the series set out to deliver. If the goal of any anime is to succeed on its own terms, than Gingitsune has been an unqualified success. And that, for me, is a far greater measure of worth than the number of Blu-rays a series manages to sell.
You are overeacting, yeah it was nice slice-of-life, but it had flaws here and there, anyway personaly I am giving it 8/10 where 1 point is for awesome visuals.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 14:34   Link #283
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
You are overeacting, yeah it was nice slice-of-life, but it had flaws here and there, anyway personaly I am giving it 8/10 where 1 point is for awesome visuals.
I don't think it is an over-reaction myself. To be honest I had a very similar experience with the series - more than that, it became my favorite series of the season.

In matters like this it is simply a difference of taste. Some people like some things, others like other things. ^^
Old 2013-12-29, 14:42   Link #284
Tenzen12

I agree it's metter of taste, but if someone start talking about anime of decade, he should better be objective

And it should be said, it was one of my favourite (maybe even most favourite) anime of season as well. Just not flawlessly-wonderfuly-super duper-whatever one.
Old 2013-12-29, 15:04   Link #285
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
I agree it's matter of taste, but if someone start talking about anime of decade, he should better be objective

And it should be said, it was one of my favorite (maybe even most favorite) anime of season as well. Just not flawlessly-wonderfuly-super duper-whatever one.
No complaints, no complaints.

You know though, one of the qualities a branch of Japanese traditional arts excel at is a combination of aesthetics and minimalism - a sort of of Maximum content/Minimum Words mode of expression. One where the ideal is that every movement, every action, every word is encouraged to carry the highest possible meaningful content. This can be seen behind several of Japan's arts - flower arrangement, poetry, painting, calligraphy, etc.

Anime generally (and perhaps tv and film as well) is presented in such a way so that what is going on be both interesting but also accessible, however many levels are involved. This can lead to not only dumbing things down on occasion, but also over-explaining things that did not perhaps need to be explained, or explained so thoroughly.

In this sense Gingitsune has a much higher percentage of presenting and conveying content without words, but sometimes also without a lot of actions - and yet the message is conveyed, and often was conveyed very powerfully and in a short period of time. In other words, it is utilizing that particular aesthetic quality part of the Japanese arts excel in.

Enzo has a love for this aesthetic area, and I do as well - perhaps to an even greater degree than Enzo does (if I may presume to say so), and it is this that he was expressing, but also expressing in the aftermath of being exposed to a particularly effective episode with a fair amount of such content.

It is an aesthetic, to be sure, and therefore one's taste is directly involved. But for someone to opine that it has qualities that make it very distinctly Japanese is not without valid reference points at all, for this aesthetic minimalism is a large part of the Japanese aesthetic. For someone to opine that it may be the best anime on shinto in a decade is also quite reasonable and has plenty of valid reference points too.

Whether or no one agrees with it is another story (that is, whether or no one feels what it tried to represent was validly Japanese or validly reflecting shinto). When he said it was a very effective anime-of-the-decade, etc. he meant so in a very specific way. And, well, he could probably discuss the reasons behind why and how he said things the way he did much more effectively than I could (and with good reason), but one must also sprinkle his statements with the fact that he was speaking out of admiration and even love for what he had been exposed to.
Old 2013-12-29, 19:35   Link #286
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I agree it's metter of taste, but if someone start talking about anime of decade, he should better be objective

And it should be said, it was one of my favourite (maybe even most favourite) anime of season as well. Just not flawlessly-wonderfuly-super duper-whatever one.
Who was talking about anime of the decade, exactly?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 19:37   Link #287
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Who was talking about anime of the decade, exactly?
It was when you said this, methinks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
...it may be the best anime about Shinto this decade...
Old 2013-12-29, 19:48   Link #288
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, as every anime is about Shinto, those are clearly synonymous...
Old 2013-12-30, 01:16   Link #289
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

You know, I was trying to think of another anime series that dealt with shintoism as extensively as Gingitsune, and the only one that came to mind was Kamichu.... (Anyone else remember that one from about 8 years ago or so?)

There is a pretty big difference in focus of the MC in both series, but they are both certainly... umm... atmospheric. Even so, I still feel the direction and writing behind Gingitsune to be better....

Last edited by Flower; 2013-12-31 at 16:28. Reason: Forgot to bold the title of the other anime that came to mind....
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 12:10   Link #290
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So after I rang in the new year quite literally at Zojo-ji, I walked over to nearby Atago Jinja to get in my first shrine visit of the year. There was a huge line for the main shrine, so I dropped my coins in and prayed at the little Inari shrine, and afterwards when I went over to the window where they sell amulets and such, I noticed a Gingitsune poster in the window.
Old 2013-12-31, 16:08   Link #291
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Are there even other shintou anime to compare with? Usually it's onmyoudou and/or buddhism. But if you want to extend the background to paganism (influanced by Shintou), Mushishi is by far the best, and this season the TV remake of Yozakura Quartet were better.

Nevertheless, Gingitsune presented very well both the cultural influence of japanese paganism as well as the symbiotic relationship with buddhism, while touching social themes in the process (superficially though)... getting into them in more detail would end up alienating many fans.
Old 2013-12-31, 16:20   Link #292
Tenzen12

Wagaya no Oinarisama (My home fox deity) is decent shinto anime and despite low budgets and relatively generic premise it's funny, heartwarming show and adaptation of awarded LN.

Spoiler for Image:

Also resident father is Tatsuo twin brother.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-12-31 at 16:35.
Old 2013-12-31, 16:30   Link #293
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Wagaya no Oinarisama (My home forx deity) is decent shinto anime and despite low budgets and relatively generic premise it's funny, heartwarming show and adaptation of awarded LN.

Spoiler for Image:

Also resident father is Tatsuo twin brother.
Indeed it was... but unlike Gingitsune focused on the mythological aspect of shintou rather than its social impact.
Old 2013-12-31, 16:52   Link #294
Tenzen12

Pretty much every shinto anime/manga goes rather for mithology than social aspect, whether it's Oinarisama, Kamichu or Inari kon kon Iroha. If you look for that you can try in mangas as I doubt there is any other anime beside Gingitsune with such focus.
Old 2014-01-01, 09:06   Link #295
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So much focus, in fact, that the Tokyo Shrine Association has signed Gingitsune up for purposed of promotion:
Old 2014-11-15, 09:32   Link #296
LKK

Sentai has finally seen the light and decided this show deserves a home video release. [Source]

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-15, 12:36   Link #297
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Sentai has finally seen the light and decided this show deserves a home video release. [Source]
Oh wow! YAY!

This totally made my day....
Old 2014-11-15, 20:14   Link #298
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And I'm sure it will crater, just as it did on disc here. But that doesn't make it any less of a gem.
Old 2014-11-15, 20:42   Link #299
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
And I'm sure it will crater, just as it did on disc here. But that doesn't make it any less of a gem.
Crater shmater - not much I can do about that, per se (though you are probably correct) ... I am just glad the possibility for obtaining it will be there. Would totally shell out for this one. ^^

Tags
fantasy, shrine maiden, slice of life