Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-05-06, 18:53   Link #81
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Trivia: it's why Ruth has a girl's name. She didn't know it was one.
I... didn't know it was one either
Old 2023-05-06, 19:03   Link #82
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Really? It goes all the way back to the Old Testament.

This season Mahoutsukai has at least 4 boys with girls names - Ruth, Zoe, Violet, May. I'm starting to think it's intentional.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-06, 20:47   Link #83
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

This season Mahoutsukai has at least 4 boys with girls names - Ruth, Zoe, Violet, May. I'm starting to think it's intentional.
I was so confused when I first started reading this arc .
Old 2023-05-07, 07:33   Link #84
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

I thought it was a unisex name.
Old 2023-05-11, 10:31   Link #85
Frontier

On a list of things Renfred probably never expected to discuss with Elias, the question of if he ever planned on getting hitched is probably pretty high up there .

It's not that surprising that Renfred sees Alice as a daughter and not as his legacy or someone to take up his teachings and succeed him...which irks Alice because that's entirely the reason why she's working and training so hard, especially because she feels like she's been nothing but a burden to him and hasn't given back anywhere near the amount of what he's given her .

Simon! It's always nice to see him. Especially when he's getting two bashful, awkward, girls to admit their really friends .

People assuming Elias and Ruth like hanging out together when the only thing that bonds them is Chise and that's about it for their relationship .

Probably a lot to unpack there with the fact that Chise and Elias sleep together but for now it's a sleepover with the girls !

Just a reminder circa season 1 of just how messed up and depraved Joseph was. I mean, I can't fault Alice here, nobody was expecting the giant mantis woman monster. But the way Renfred lost his arm and Joseph just rubbed it in his face...jeez. Also RIP Renfred's ponytail .

It kind of sucks that Alice' idea of a dad is her pathetic junkie of a father compared to Renfred, who has been nothing but the best to her. But I guess it sets up how she views her dynamic with Renfred and why she's not satisfied being viewed as his daughter

There's...a lot to Chise and Elias' relationship. But I don't think she's ever really viewed him as a father, especially because she did have a relatively normal and loving dad (up until he basically absconded with her little brother and left her and her mom. Are they ever going to follow up on that?). But it does set up the two to try to clarify their relationship a little more .

I can totally believe Elias just needed a convenient word or role to keep Chise close to him and, from his perspective, a "spouse" fit the bill. Although that's not even a guarantee these days because of the high divorce rate. Maybe don't make Elias that anxious, Chise .

Though their relationship and dynamic has developed a lot since then, and in a world where people play various roles with each other and in relationships, what should matter is what makes Chise and Elias happy with each other. And if that means being spouses in some form or another, then all the better !

Just your daily reminder that something shady is going on at the college. Looks like they've got some spooky stuff in storage .
Old 2023-05-11, 18:17   Link #86
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Simon using rhetoric to get Chise and Alice to admit they are their friends is probably my favorite scene of the episode.

I wonder how Alice would feel knowing Joseph was chilling in the backyard while she recounting to Chise how horrible he had been to her and Renfred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
There's...a lot to Chise and Elias' relationship. But I don't think she's ever really viewed him as a father, especially because she did have a relatively normal and loving dad (up until he basically absconded with her little brother and left her and her mom. Are they ever going to follow up on that?). But it does set up the two to try to clarify their relationship a little more .
For that, Chise would need to want to track them down. But the reason she sold herself was to make a complete break from her old life and she's pretty content with her current one so she had no reason to do so. It's not like there's a big mystery surrounding her family either. The father left with her brother because the mom and Chise attracted evil spirits and he had reached his limits when it came to protecting them. He ran out with the one family member he knew he could keep safe. We know he was tempted to take Chise along too but decided it would be too big a risk. It feels like a really cruel thing to do but I get it. From his POV his son was the only one he had a chance of saving.
Old 2023-05-11, 20:54   Link #87
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well just a lot of talking about everyone one role that they play to each other
Old 2023-05-11, 23:45   Link #88
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Simon using rhetoric to get Chise and Alice to admit they are their friends is probably my favorite scene of the episode.

I wonder how Alice would feel knowing Joseph was chilling in the backyard while she recounting to Chise how horrible he had been to her and Renfred.
Chise probably should make sure they don't see each other every time Alice comes over .
Quote:
For that, Chise would need to want to track them down. But the reason she sold herself was to make a complete break from her old life and she's pretty content with her current one so she had no reason to do so. It's not like there's a big mystery surrounding her family either. The father left with her brother because the mom and Chise attracted evil spirits and he had reached his limits when it came to protecting them. He ran out with the one family member he knew he could keep safe. We know he was tempted to take Chise along too but decided it would be too big a risk. It feels like a really cruel thing to do but I get it. From his POV his son was the only one he had a chance of saving.
I get that, it just feels like what happened to them has still left to be explained because we have no idea what became of the dad or the little brother. Are they alive? I mean, I get Chise isn't in a rush to find them because she has her own stuff going on but it feels like something the story will have to address at some point.
Old 2023-05-13, 09:47   Link #89
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I doubt we'll see much, if anything, about her dad and brother. Chise lives in such a different world from them now, and there's a long future ahead for her and Elias. I don't think picking up the father storyline would add much at this point.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-13, 10:29   Link #90
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I doubt we'll see much, if anything, about her dad and brother. Chise lives in such a different world from them now, and there's a long future ahead for her and Elias. I don't think picking up the father storyline would add much at this point.
I guess just for the sake of an unresolved plot point .

I honestly wonder if her brother is in a similar situation to her too.
Old 2023-05-13, 13:16   Link #91
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I imagine the father and brother are living a relatively happy middle-class life somewhere far from demons. Wouldn't be surprised if he remarried.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-13, 18:15   Link #92
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I honestly wonder if her brother is in a similar situation to her too.
He took the brother with him because he didn't attract monsters the way Chise and the mom did.

IMO Chise has already gotten closure when she recalled everything during the time she was held by Joseph. She knows her parents loved her and they had reasons to leave her behind. That doesn't make what happened to her right, but she's at peace with it now.
Old 2023-05-13, 22:01   Link #93
Twi

Chise's brother repels monsters just like how the father does. It was why Chise's mom could leave her and her brother alone together. Once the dad took her brother, there was nothing keeping Chise safe when her mother wasn't there. That was part of what caused her breakdown, as she had to struggle to find work where she could still be there for her and she couldn't let her guard down because one night she woke up to see Chise being attacked by a monster.

That's half the reason I really don't give the father a lot of slack and I'm hoping there was another reason for him abandoning her beyond his control because him just ditching his wife and daughter led to a whole lot of issues. And even if he bothered to try to find Chise, you have to remember that when she sold herself they faked her death so no one in Japan would be looking for her. So even if her brother and father were to look, they'd only find records that she was dead.

Really, the fact that Chise's mother lived to both adulthood and having two children is a miracle considering Sleigh Beggy die young for a number of reasons. One of which we saw being Japanese neighbors are just mean.
Old 2023-05-13, 23:05   Link #94
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Chise's brother repels monsters just like how the father does. It was why Chise's mom could leave her and her brother alone together. Once the dad took her brother, there was nothing keeping Chise safe when her mother wasn't there. That was part of what caused her breakdown, as she had to struggle to find work where she could still be there for her and she couldn't let her guard down because one night she woke up to see Chise being attacked by a monster.

That's half the reason I really don't give the father a lot of slack and I'm hoping there was another reason for him abandoning her beyond his control because him just ditching his wife and daughter led to a whole lot of issues. And even if he bothered to try to find Chise, you have to remember that when she sold herself they faked her death so no one in Japan would be looking for her. So even if her brother and father were to look, they'd only find records that she was dead.

Really, the fact that Chise's mother lived to both adulthood and having two children is a miracle considering Sleigh Beggy die young for a number of reasons. One of which we saw being Japanese neighbors are just mean.
Yeah, I have to imagine there was some reason why he never went back for them or that something happened with them.

It's not that I think Chise needs more closure so much as it's an unanswered plot beat that was set up in a show that's known for it's slow build plotting.
Old 2023-05-13, 23:12   Link #95
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

I think the real question on Chise's dad abandoning the family should be "who is that bird".
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-13, 23:36   Link #96
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There's a (very good) spinoff manga called "Wizard's Blue", where the MC is a boy about the right age. It's not totally impossible he could be Chise's brother, though I suspect that'd be too convenient.
Old 2023-05-14, 09:47   Link #97
Twi

I personally think it was the Japanese kid who rolled up to Simon in cut content for the moment, but really what are the chances? Though considering the bird and the fact that there's literally a division in the church called Crows, I feel I have some solid ground to sit on.

Anyway, blog post done and changes below. Ironically, one of the things missing is Chise's thoughts about her father.

Spoiler:
Old 2023-05-14, 13:57   Link #98
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
There's a (very good) spinoff manga called "Wizard's Blue", where the MC is a boy about the right age. It's not totally impossible he could be Chise's brother, though I suspect that'd be too convenient.
Is that the spin off one that takes place in France? I've been somewhat hesitant on reading the spin offs since they're not technically written by Kore Yamazaki although she is listed as story supervisor or something similar.
Old 2023-05-14, 18:07   Link #99
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Is that the spin off one that takes place in France? I've been somewhat hesitant on reading the spin offs since they're not technically written by Kore Yamazaki although she is listed as story supervisor or something similar.
It is, and it's very good IMHO. It seems pretty obvious to me that it's intended to be taken as canon as well, which is why I haven't totally dismissed the brother theory.
Old 2023-05-14, 19:36   Link #100
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Unrelated question: manga-readers, is the current cour enough to finish the arc or they need 12 more eps?
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy