AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the British Remain or Leave the EU.
Remain 24 55.81%
Leave 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-06-24, 00:28   Link #61
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well...

God save the Queen.
Old 2016-06-24, 00:30   Link #62
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
It's interesting to see that every single area in the north has voted for remain while the south is mostly for leave.
If you define the north as Scotland, yeah. But if you define the north as Northern England, they are the ones who buckled the polls the most -- Newcastle is the lone Remain outlier, and at a far smaller margin than expected.

I'd go on a limb here and consider this to be the start of the dissolution of the Union. Scotland will not forgive this, and if this is really shaping up to be a Black Friday (Asian markets are taking a heavy beating as I write), Sinn Fein will pull Northern Ireland towards reunification within five years, at most.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 00:32   Link #63
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
I think this is quite short-sighted. The sharp north-south divide is dangerous for the future of the United Kingdom. Scotland as a bloc voted 62% remain. Northern Ireland is divided as always, but also features a 56% majority for remain. While Nicola Sturgeon isn't a gambler like Salmond and probably will only call for another independence vote if she has a stable and high majority in the polls it is a situation where a United Kingdom leaving the EU is basically doomed to perform well from the start. If things don't go well this vote yesterday could be the straw the broke apart the United Kingdom instead of making it great again.
Very much this.

As someone from a different forum wrote, this is one case where "those with lower intelligence have seismically changed the course of the country". Based on more information I gathered everywhere, it's an alliance of baby-boomers longing for past glory tainted with selfishness, and of uneducated idiots who made that mess a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
HSBC and Standard Chartered lost up to 12.5% at the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
That didn't take long and that isn't going to stop any time soon.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 00:38   Link #64
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

You people are making it sound like the leave people are looking for the resurgence of the British Empire when it is probably more like the fractures will likely extend to the remnants of the UK likewise splitting apart.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 00:40   Link #65
Newhope

To be frank I don't personnal care if Scotland leave they have nothing of value and only a drain on Englands revenue, if they leave they'll have to cut their public spending by half.

And to be honest anybody who can't see that the EU has pretty much been imploding for years is blind, you have countries like Greece, Italy, Spain and portugal that in dire financial state you have some of the big German bank on the verge of collapse the EU is a frigging ticking time bomb.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 00:43   Link #66
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
To be frank I don't personnal care if Scotland leave they have nothing of value and only a drain on Englands revenue, if they leave they'll have to cut public spending by half.

And to be honest anybody who can't see that the EU has pretty much been imploding for years is blind.
The problem is Brexit gonna accelerate it.

Damn, lots of uncertainty ahead. All negative too
Old 2016-06-24, 00:46   Link #67
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

EU was a good idea doomed by pride.
Old 2016-06-24, 00:47   Link #68
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
As someone from a different forum wrote, this is one case where "those with lower intelligence have seismically changed the course of the country". Based on more information I gathered everywhere, it's an alliance of baby-boomers longing for past glory tainted with selfishness, and of uneducated idiots who made that mess a reality.
Hate it if you must but remember - you live in democracy. And it is that democracy, that everyone cherish and defend to death, that enable UK to vote how it voted.
They may be 'uneducated','ignorant' and so on.... the point still remains - they are majority and they proved it. Minority in that case can only sit down and watch as they celebrate.

Isn't democracy great thing? Now we all need is for Trump to in US elections and this year will be recorded in history as "most interesting one".
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 00:47   Link #69
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
And to be honest anybody who can't see that the EU has pretty much been imploding for years is blind.
One could have waited to see what the Germans do first in their upcoming election. They are in far deeper shit with the EU than Britain is.

All I see now is the GBP and British companies dropping value at the stock exchange. Furthermore, businesses have started moving their assets and headquarters out of Britain. Enjoy time in the wilderness if that's what you really want.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 01:03   Link #70
MCAL

Well with 99.5 percent of the voted counted, its official. Leave won.

EDIT: “We have done it without having to fight, we have done it without a bullet being fired. Dare to dream that the dawn is breaking on an independent nation.”

In case you were wondering if Leave was headed by a sane, decent person...

Last edited by MCAL; 2016-06-24 at 01:21.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 01:07   Link #71
Newhope

Quote:
One could have waited to see what the Germans do first in their upcoming election. They are in far deeper shit with the EU than Britain is.

All I see now is the GBP and British companies dropping value at the stock exchange. Furthermore, businesses have started moving their assets and headquarters out of Britain. Enjoy time in the wilderness if that's what you really want.
It's not the British markets I am worried about some chaos is to be expected and will calm down after awhile, I am more worried about could this be the pin that finally pricks the current debt/market bubble the world economys in right now if that happens everybody is screwed.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 01:22   Link #72
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
My aunt is an ex-consul of my country in France. She's telling me that if either Germany or France leave then the EU is essentially fucked.

I would agree though. France maybe but you'd need to go over Merkel's cold rotting corpse before you can get Germany out.
Oh, I don't think we really want to leave. Especially now that the Brits are gone at last.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 01:23   Link #73
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Baby-boomers (not all, but a lot) fucking things up for the younger generations. Why am I not surprised?
That's somehow not surprising and yet depressing :/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
Hate it if you must but remember - you live in democracy. And it is that democracy, that everyone cherish and defend to death, that enable UK to vote how it voted.
They may be 'uneducated','ignorant' and so on.... the point still remains - they are majority and they proved it. Minority in that case can only sit down and watch as they celebrate.
Except generally nations are founded on representative democracy, not pure democracy because of the danger of issues like this as a majority vote doesn't make something right nor a good idea.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 01:35   Link #74
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Better question, does this do anything to European security? It make be an issue of long ago, but what about the Russians? Or is that still just NATO and everything is normal?
Old 2016-06-24, 01:40   Link #75
ImperialKnight

Not even a mighty warrior can break a frail arrow when it is multiplied and supported by its fellows. As long as you brothers support one another and render assistance to one another, your enemies can never gain the victory over you. But if you fall away from each other your enemy can brake you like frail arrows, one at a time.

Genghis Khan

People talk about independence all the time and about doing things yourself but the reality is that as a society we need each other for the greater good.

But hey what do I know right? When you let emotions rule you then you're bound to make crazy decisions but as others have said this has been coming due to the incompetence of certain people.

On the other hand I'm sure Putin is smiling with glee.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 01:55   Link #76
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well...

God save the Queen.
God help us all. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 02:23   Link #77
Kakurin
大佐

The German stock index DAX has opened with the biggest drop since 2008. Opened with a 10% loss. The Nikkei in Tokyo dropped by 8%. The Swiss market index SMI also lost 7% with their banks suffering the most. UBS and Credit Suisse stocks dropped by 13%. Fun times.
Old 2016-06-24, 02:24   Link #78
DerGilga
Banned

Can somebody explain to a Continental European what the English people gained today?

On another note, could this lead to a non United Kingdom?

Also, is my Schadenfreude a sign that I'm a bad human being?
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 02:29   Link #79
Helius

Here we are folks, history is made.

Brexit: Leave wins EU referendum: BBC News
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 02:32   Link #80
MCAL

And David Cameron just resigned. Normally this would be a happy occasion, but considering who is going to replace him...
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
politics